• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft,Google,Amazon will own every publisher and indie studio just like Disney,Comcast & AT&T so there wont be any 3rd party left this will all happen within 5 years if not sooner And Sony is a public company so it will be bought too and probably split off with another companies who want to buy the movie, music and television parts of Sony who would ever dream fox would be bought by Disney or AT&T buying Time Warner/Warner Brothers

Yea, no. The most expensive acquisition Google has ever made is Motorola at $12bn, and Amazon's is Whole Foods at $13bn. To add some perspective, EA's market cap is $32bn, Activision's is $34bn, Ubisoft's is $8bn, Take Two's is $10bn and so on. Add to that, even if they did aquire one or the other, revenue wise it wouldn't really make sense to remove the publishers games from the console systems, sincebthey'd only be harming their own bottom line. Chances are game streaming options will only be additive in nature.

Oct 30, 2017
Let me paint two other area's Sony was first in but find themselves behind now:

1. BC what happened to the interest in that area and then they dropped it?? Then MS bombshells Sony with BC for the Xbox 360 and OG Xbox. The kicker was the BC emulation was leagues better than the original home system.
2. Yes, Sony invested in Onlive but, what did they do with it? Shut it down. Where are the tech advances? MS and Google have made quantum jumps in those area's and bringing latency down for the consumer. Both have working games proving the tech works. Where were Sony's advances? See it doesn't pay to be first if you can't capitalize on the investment.
The real advantage Amazon/Google/Microsoft have is that when their servers aren't being used for gaming their other cloud customers can use the servers which should result in significantly lower pricing. Sony's problem is that they have to build datacenters just for game streaming which needs a lot of servers to handle peak times and then will sit idle 75% of the time.

Good points that i had not considered.

Im not familiar with onlive, but what about their Gaikai acquisition? What are they doing with that?

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol. Microsoft has been lagging behind the competition or market leader near enough ever since they entered in to gaming (eg for multiple decades), and they've never led, so I think you give them far too much credit. If anything their recent and past antics and performance do little to inspire much confidence.

Google and Amazon are giant big question marks who have made barely any inroads thus far and have a way to go, whilst Sony has been market leader almost every generation they've been involved in console gaming (25+ years), and are also presently already ahead of the competition in game streaming.

Your predictions and assumptions have little to no basis or backing.

It's funny you say that because you got proven wrong above your original post.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

1. BC what happened to the interest in that area and then they dropped it?? Then MS bombshells Sony with BC for the Xbox 360 and OG Xbox. The kicker was the BC emulation was leagues better than the original home system.
2. Yes, Sony invested in Onlive but, what did they do with it? Shut it down. Where are the tech advances? MS and Google have made quantum jumps in those area's and bringing latency down for the consumer. Both have working games proving the tech works. Where were Sony's advances? See it doesn't pay to be first if you can't capitalize on the investment.
1 - BC didn't make Xbox successful. PS4 doesn't have BC, neither does Switch, and both are more successful than X1, people don't buy new consoles to play old games, so that point is moot.
2 - PS Now is currently the most advanced, functional and profitable gaming streaming service and Sony is improving it ever since its conception. Do you have any source proving Sony is not investing on PS now? Nothing you're saying makes any sense.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Clear isn't the word I'd use. I think Microsoft/Xbox is just doing what's best for Xbox.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Sony's been doing BC since the PS2 and the PS3. The PS4 is an exception, mostly due to incompatibility with Cell. You may ask why they then didn't offer PS1 and PS2 BC, my guess is because it would mean a fractured BC experience. Now, of course we have PS2 downloadable games via PS Now, and there's more than enough speculation that the PS5 could have full BC with the entire PS console catalog.

PS Now? Not sure what you're talking about man. PS Now is in 12 countries and performing a beta in 7 more. It's growing and will only get better as time goes on. The theory I subscribe to regarding why they haven't expanded more is two-fold

1) They are awaiting PS5 hardware to install in PS Now server locations. Right now they have to install both PS4 and PS3 hardware in locations to cover the available catalog and that's not cost efficient and surely they want to stop having to produce Cell hardware soon. This is one of the reasons it makes sense to think the PS5 will have full BC because if it is then this single hardware setup will be sufficient to handle all of their streaming needs in all servers. It's because of this reason I think we've seen a relatively slow rollout of PS Now globally. Once PS5 hardware is available I think we'll see a lot more countries getting the service

2) PS Now was originally intended to be on all devices from consoles to TVs, mobiles, PC... everything. That was obviously scaled back to PS4 and PC. I'm thinking the mobile offering was put on hold until 5G can roll out and offer mobile users a proper streaming experience on the go. I like to think this is also one of the reasons the Sony Mobile division is kept around because they are basically an in-house R&D division that the rest of Sony can tap for their experience in mobiles and 5G in particular.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
So is Sony...why do people always ignore Sony is the only one who even has a streaming service?

Feb 10, 2018
I think Xcloud will be a monthly fee where you can access your xbox account and games. I wonder how Google service will work though.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
1 - BC didn't make Xbox successful. PS4 doesn't have BC, neither does Switch, and both are more successful than X1, people don't buy new consoles to play old games, so that point is moot.
2 - PS Now is currently the most advanced, functional and profitable gaming streaming service and Sony is improving it ever since its conception. Do you have any source proving Sony is not investing on PS now? Nothing you're saying makes any sense.

PS Now will not be able to compete from a financial perspective. Once the big boys come in to play they can undercut PSNow and still turn a profit due to how Cloud infrastructure works.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Microsoft,Google,Amazon will own every publisher and indie studio just like Disney,Comcast & AT&T so there wont be any 3rd party left this will all happen within 5 years if not sooner And Sony is a public company so it will be bought too and probably split off with another companies who want to buy the movie, music and television parts of Sony who would ever dream fox would be bought by Disney or AT&T buying Time Warner/Warner Brothers
LOL..fan fiction.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
PS Now will not be able to compete from a financial perspective. Once the big boys come in to play they can undercut PSNow and still turn a profit due to how Cloud infrastructure works.
Sony can;t compete..we have been hearing this forever..Sony will be fine, most of you are grossly underestimating Sony which is odd considering the strong position they are in globally.

Because Sony currently doesn't make it
Source on this? Do you have any inside info on that? I'd love to see the data that proves that Sony will not be able to compete. C'mon give me some source.
HUH? Doesn;t make it ? What?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Google's streaming service runs through Chrome, and Chrome has an installed base of 2 billion users.

Right, but that doesn't mean the majority of present console gamers will migrate over to game streaming or that it will heavily erode into console gaming. Similar to mobile gaming vs console gaming, I believe game streaming will be additive in nature and also appeal to new demographics of gamers (especially or notably casual), but that consoles are still going to be the primary source for the kinds of games we console/PC gamers play today, and for more enthusiast gamers in general.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The real advantage Amazon/Google/Microsoft have is that when their servers aren't being used for gaming their other cloud customers can use the servers which should result in significantly lower pricing. Sony's problem is that they have to build datacenters just for game streaming which needs a lot of servers to handle peak times and then will sit idle 75% of the time.
Microsoft's way of streaming is pretty much like how Sony is doing it right now. It needs dedicated hardware. Sony uses PS3/PS4 hardware while Microsoft will use XB1 hardware.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think Xcloud will be a monthly fee where you can access your xbox account and games. I wonder how Google service will work though.

I've been asking about this in other threads but so far no one's answered. So you feel xCloud will be a separate charge outside of Game Pass? Some people seem to think they'll be integrated and maintain the current Game Pass price structure, but I can't say I've seen anything to corroborate that.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Weird narrative some are pushing that Sony is somehow going to get left behind, can't compete...Sounds oddly similar to the fan fiction before last gen launched.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Content, pricing and good enough tech will determine the streaming war, not how many devices are running Androids/iOS or how much Money those companies were making.

When John Kodera was appointed the CEO of SIE, a guy who was behind the networks services business of PlayStation, this should be a hint on how important network business is for Sony. OP is missing the point. Looking at how big a company is to determine success is not the best indicator. Instead look at how specialized it is and how much of its livelihood depends on it.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So is Sony...why do people always ignore Sony is the only one who even has a streaming service?

And they'll be cheaper servers than Google and MS offer too right? See you gotta look at the big picture. Sony needs to start working yesterday or merge with someone who can. Nintendo with XBL makes alot of sense and gives Nintendo alot of reach and more game access. Big move from them if they do it?

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
And they'll be cheaper servers than Google and MS offer too right? See you gotta look at the big picture. Sony needs to start working yesterday or merge with someone who can. Nintendo with XBL makes alot of sense and gives Nintendo alot of reach and more game access. Big move from them if they do it?
Again, source that Sony is not investing on this?

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
LOL what? Sony will be fine , looking at how big a company is as a whole while ignoring the market realities..sure. Your post is fully fan fiction and wishful thinking.

Sony is clearly investing in this thus PS now, and recent moves like appointing Kodera head of their network...

Vestal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Source on this? Do you have any inside info on that? I'd love to see the data that proves that Sony will not be able to compete. C'mon give me some source.

Its simply economics and the cost of cloud services. Microsoft/Google/Amazon own their own Cloud infrastructure, which means they can spread out the cost of their Gaming Streaming with the rest of their Cloud business. They can undercut the price of the competition because they won't be bogged down by the overhead of having to rent Cloud space from a Cloud provider.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Its simply economics and the cost of cloud services. Microsoft/Google/Amazon own their own Cloud infrastructure, which means they can spread out the cost of their Gaming Streaming with the rest of their Cloud business. They can undercut the price of the competition because they won't be bogged down by the overhead of having to rent Cloud space from a Cloud provider.
Ms can under cut now why don't they then??? This is not how business works.... nothing you are posting is grounded in any logical or reasoned. were is your Source then if economics are Simple?

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Where is that source that Sony is not investing on this? Do you have it? Yes or no?

Vestal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Ms can under cut now why don't they then??? This is not how business works.... nothing you are posting is grounded in any logical or reasoned. were is your Source then if economics are Simple?
Microsoft does not currently provide a Streaming Gaming service.

Where is that source that Sony is not investing on this? Do you have it? Yes or no?
Is Sony a Cloud service provider? No?

Theres your answer.

LinktothePastGOAT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ninja Theory and Obsidian are good acquisition choices, and The Initiative seems like it could be the next big "prestige" studio like Naughty Dog and Insomniac. I'd keep a close eye on Microsoft's first party studios next generation. They're rearing up for a big comeback.

If you think Sony is going to allow that...lol

Feb 10, 2018
I've been asking about this in other threads but so far no one's answered. So you feel xCloud will be a separate charge outside of Game Pass? Some people seem to think they'll be integrated and maintain the current Game Pass price structure, but I can't say I've seen anything to corroborate that.

I think you will be able to get Xcloud on its own which will let you play all your xbox content for like $12.99 a month.
And you can get Xcloud + gamepass for $19.99 a month.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018

Laydens comments recently tells me they massively underestimate how popular streaming is and how fast it's going to take over next gen.

Sony are acting way too slow and should be doing a lot more

Vestal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
You never answered anything lol. fan fiction the thread, out of this craziness.

What part of Sony not being a Cloud service provider did you not understand? I mean its pretty public that they are not.

Renting cloud infrastructure is a lot more costly than using your own infrastructure that you can load balance out with the rest of the services you provide.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Laydens comments recently tells me they massively underestimate how popular streaming is and how fast it's going to take over next gen.

Acting too slow..only one with a streaming service for years...seems legit.

What part of Sony not being a Cloud service provider did you not understand? I mean its pretty public that they are not.

Renting cloud infrastructure is a lot more costly than using your own infrastructure that you can load balance out with the rest of the services you provide.

None of this proves any of your outlandish claims....MS was never a hard war provider at once upon a time too..Sony will be fine. They are not the underdogs you want them to be.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Layden's comments are similar to that of Phil Spencer's. Tell me that one?

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Microsoft's way of streaming is pretty much like how Sony is doing it right now. It needs dedicated hardware. Sony uses PS3/PS4 hardware while Microsoft will use XB1 hardware.

It was that way. Why do you think MS has been QUICKLY moving to cross-play protocols, coding and hardware change solutions? What is Xbox hardware when Windows can run it too??? See MS has a larger hardware user base by default (without android and now they have that too). Then add Nintendo Switch too if XBL heads there soon.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018

None of this proves any of your outlandish claims....MS was never a hard war provider at once upon a time too..Sony will be fine. They are not the underdogs you want them to be.

And they have done nothing to bolster PS Now, the service is like an afterthought to them.

No advertising, no investment, no exclusives to take advantage of the service.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sure but the current version is only a beta we will see what happens when the nextgen version launches.

Also there is no evidence that cloud gaming is going to replace console gaming in the next decade. Sure Microsoft and co could end up making significantly more revenue from gaming than Sony but I don't see why Sony's current business would shrink.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
It was that way. Why do you think MS has been QUICKLY moving to cross-play protocols, coding and hardware change solutions? What is Xbox hardware when Windows can run it too??? See MS has a larger hardware user base by default (without android and now they have that too). Then add Nintendo Switch too if XBL heads there soon.
Source that Nintendo will fuse with XBL?

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
And they have done nothing to bolster PS Now, the service is like an afterthought to them.

No advertising, no investment, no exclusives to take advantage of the service.
They literally added Downloads and opened in new countries in the last few months
It has over 800 games...

No Investment? Do yuo guys have a source that sony is not investing despite making millions every year in it?
How is spreading this mis-information even allowed?

Ok if you say so. Microsoft had a cultural change under Nadella, taking the company all in on Azure and PaaS. Its a vision that appears to be paying off in spades, and has got them in the right place for the next decade in Technology.
Cultural change <> reality..... You are just making up stuff that may or may not happen in the future...It's sily.

Vestal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL

Ok if you say so. Microsoft had a cultural change under Nadella, taking the company all in on Azure and PaaS. Its a vision that appears to be paying off in spades, and has got them in the right place for the next decade in Technology.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017

What? I'm going to need some receipts to this. Seems you know a lot about Sony's game streaming plans. I guess PS Now doesn't exist and it isn't working well for Sony. The subscriber count tells a different story.

https://twinfinite.net/2018/11/last...y-than-ea-access-and-xbox-game-pass-combined/