• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
That's like separate from going to high school though. Whether they go to high school or not, they'd have to move on eventually or else people will get suspicious why they don't age so....why go? Especially when going to high school puts them more on the radar (having to fake records, more people knowing who you are, school photos/yearbooks creating a photo paper trail, etc). Home school exists if they're afraid of like truancy or something.
This would make a good story, actually - modern vampires so mad that now it's just much harder to hide and disappear because everything is so annoyingly digital and permanent.

this probably exists already, haha

Baneros

Aug 22, 2018
What are they staying in small towns and going to school for?
Forks according to Meyer is one of the places with the least amount of of sunny days in the US -> they can pretend to be people without sparkling for most of the time. They also have that ginormous mansion and good hunting grounds in the forest areas.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Forks according to Meyer is one of the places with the least amount of of sunny days in the US -> they can pretend to be people without sparkling for most of the time. They also have that ginormous mansion and good hunting grounds in the forest areas.

Okay that makes sense. If I was Edward I still would have done something different though than being stuck in high school for decades.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Okay that makes sense. If I was Edward I still would have done something different though than being stuck in high school for decades.
If Carlyle can have a good enough fake identity to be a doctor he could have give the kids some like bullshit jobs to explain what they do
Or just pretend to be lazy rich people

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Apart from the staying in a place longer than they otherwise would have, it allows Carlisle to keep up with the latest in medical knowledge by having one of them (usually Edward) go through college for a few years. Most of them go through college again either as a means of keeping up the act so they can stay in a place longer, or so they can go to further education and keep Carlisle aware of whatever medical advances there have been. Carlisle gets to keep practicing medicine and saving people without having to take time off and they get to give the appearance of normality, letting them stay in a place for longer.

You wouldn't think they'd care that much about the latter but in the first book Rosalie at least was complaining about having to move again so soon after arriving back in Forks, and none of the others disagreed with her. Plus sometimes they genuinely want to go to college to learn something, or to keep their own knowledge up to date - Rosalie liked to work on cars, for example. And of course they didn't like going through high school - they stay to themselves, don't talk to or interact with anyone, spend their time talking to only each other and look monumentally bored while doing it. It's clearly still something they're willing to go through, though.

Outside of in-universe explanations it's pretty weak, but then there are much more problematic issues with the series.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was turned in 1918 at the age of 17. That is nearly a hundred years in highschoo? Why? No one likes highschool not even people that peaked there. ANd not like he had a baby face, he could damn near 30, and had nearly unlimited resources. It's just creepy as fuck, even in a wishfulfilment fantasy it is disturbing.
Maybe Edward is an old-looking 17 (but 17 nonetheless) and he can pass for a baby-faced 30 year old, but can he pass for 50? No way. 40? Sure, let's go extreme and say this 17 year old can pass for a very young looking 40.

If they move to a new town and Edward claims to be 30 (and he has a fake ID to support that claim), then they can only spend 10 years in that town, at the absolute maximum, before it strains credulity and they need to move.

But if they move to a new town and Edward lowballs his age and claims to be 15 (he can just say he had a growth spurt), they can easily squeeze in more than double the amount of time that they can stay in one place before they're forced to move. 25 years instead of 10, and the earlier years carry less risk (by being closer to his actual locked age).

Every year that Edward spends pretending to be a kid in high school is one more year that his family doesn't have to move. And he can still experience a post-high school life, assuming his fake age rolls along with the time spent in each new town. He just needs to enroll in high school as young as possible each time they move (an act, to support his fake ID) and then he and his family can stay in town as long as possible. I'm sure he doesn't like high school, but he also doesn't like moving, so going to high school is "taking one for the team" to help his family move less often.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
This would make a good story, actually - modern vampires so mad that now it's just much harder to hide and disappear because everything is so annoyingly digital and permanent.

this probably exists already, haha
Yeah! I've often thought about that and I feel like I haven't really seen that touched on much if at all in fiction about immortals. Would be interested in seeing something focus on that aspect.

Maybe Edward is an old-looking 17 (but 17 nonetheless) and he can pass for a baby-faced 30 year old, but can he pass for 50? No way. 40? Sure, let's go extreme and say this 17 year old can pass for a very young looking 40.

If they move to a new town and Edward claims to be 30 (and he has a fake ID to support that claim), then they can only spend 10 years in that town, at the absolute maximum, before it strains credulity and they need to move.

But if they move to a new town and Edward lowballs his age and claims to be 15 (he can just say he had a growth spurt), they can easily squeeze in more than double the amount of time that they can stay in one place before they're forced to move. 25 years instead of 10, and the earlier years carry less risk (by being closer to his actual locked age).

Every year that Edward spends pretending to be a kid in high school is one more year that his family doesn't have to move. And he can still experience a post-high school life, assuming his fake age rolls along with the time spent in each new town. He just needs to enroll in high school as young as possible each time they move (an act, to support his fake ID) and then he and his family can stay in town as long as possible. I'm sure he doesn't like high school, but he also doesn't like moving, so going to high school is "taking one for the team" to help his family move less often.
Again though, why go to high school at all? You could still do all of this and say they're home schooled and that would cause WAY less exposure.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Sure he's going to be maybe slightly more hormonal, but yeah, 100 years of experiences and maturity would make him a lot different than he was 100 years ago. Hell, some teenagers in real life act more adult than some adults do, just because of the hardships they have been through.

I see this argument but like, what if in the story it doesn't? What if in this story vampires just don't really get more mature than they were when they were turned? Why are we applying a logic to the character that the book doesn't? Edward never really acts like he's hundred of years older than Bella. All of the vampires act according to their apparent age even when they're being casual and not pretending.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The worst part of twilight is making Vampires Sparkle. As a fan on vampires in general this was that shit that just made me mad. Why? Why do they sparkle? How is that their one weakness? Not death but sparkling like diamonds in the sun. It's so fucking stupid.

16459484.gif
This one I'm actually ok with. It's corny, but after seeing vampires in media for like decades, so is "the sun kills you" as an obstacle that vampires have to deal with. Them living in a particularly cloudy area of PNW and the only risk being "if we go out into the sun, there's a chance people will notice something is off" sure was better than seeing vampires explode because it's a nice day outside. Again, it's stupid as hell, but at least it was something different.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
It didn't bother me. I think the fantasy really appealed to a lot of young kids at the time, it didn't seem harmful at all.

The imprinting nonsense, however... Lol

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's not as relatable to teen girls if he's not a cute boy in her high school class

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Actually, now that I think about it, imagine the case of "bad in my day music was good" these fuckers must be suffering from if they're in high school forever. Edward and Alice Cullen would have had his music tastes formed with early jazz like Livery Stable Blues. Jasper would be listening to Oh My Darling, Clementine. Carlisle would be into classic music like An Wasserflüssen Babylon.

Then they'd go to school and the kids would be telling them how awesome the songs on the Twilight soundtrack are.
Those soundtracks slap, tho.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Never watched them but does he remain a high school student after having a kid and getting married?
They all graduated at that point iirc
Also wouldn't you have to be 18 to be legally married so either way they're done

In the movie we don't see it at the end but would be funny if he still has to go

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I see this argument but like, what if in the story it doesn't? What if in this story vampires just don't really get more mature than they were when they were turned? Why are we applying a logic to the character that the book doesn't? Edward never really acts like he's hundred of years older than Bella. All of the vampires act according to their apparent age even when they're being casual and not pretending.
We already know Edward is not the same vampire that he was. He used to hunt serial killers for sport. Throughout the books we do see that vampires change and also have character development especially the Cullins otherwise they would still be out there hunting humans, so yes experiences and knowledge carries with them.

Edward also doesn't really act like a 17 year old most of the time. Otherwise he probably would have ripped Jacob's head off for trying to steal his girl in like book 1.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
We already know Edward is not the same vampire that he was. He used to hunt serial killers for sport. Throughout the books we do see that vampires change and also have character development especially the Cullins otherwise they would still be out there hunting humans, so yes experiences and knowledge carries with them.

Edward also doesn't really act like a 17 year old most of the time. Otherwise he probably would have ripped Jacob's head off for trying to steal his girl in like book 1.

Having character development is not the same as aging and maturing beyond a certain age range. That's just being a fictional character with a limited time-frame window of story we see of his life. The Cullens changing their lifestyles and behaviour doesn't mean that they're still not stopped in time in terms of their mental age. Why would Edward have killed Jacob if he wasn't more mature than a 17 year old? His violent tendencies are never linked exclusively to him being a teenager, he just stopped being that violent because the Cullens are not a violent family and they have raised him through those moral standards. That doesn't mean he stopped being a teenager, just like Carlisle has not mentally became a old fart.

Edward constantly acts like someone who's 17, and that is also just part of his personality. He's overtly dramatic and prone to isolating himself when dealing with difficulties, he doesn't understand his feelings towards Bella and constantly acts immaturely in their relationship. He has the tastes and moral standards of an older person yes ("I can't turn you a vampire before we marry" "But what about your human soul"), but that's exactly because he has not matured very much at all past the time he was turned a century before and still frames everything from the mind of a teenager.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Having character development is not the same as aging and maturing beyond a certain age range. That's just being a fictional character with a limited time-frame window of story we see of his life. The Cullens changing their lifestyles and behaviour doesn't mean that they're still not stopped in time in terms of their mental age. Why would Edward have killed Jacob if he wasn't more mature than a 17 year old? His violent tendencies are never linked exclusively to him being a teenager, he just stopped being that violent because the Cullens are not a violent family and they have raised him through those moral standards. That doesn't mean he stopped being a teenager, just like Carlisle has not mentally became a old fart.

Edward constantly acts like someone who's 17, and that is also just part of his personality. He's overtly dramatic and prone to isolating himself when dealing with difficulties, he doesn't understand his feelings towards Bella and constantly acts immaturely in their relationship. He has the tastes and moral standards of an older person yes ("I can't turn you a vampire before we marry" "But what about your human soul"), but that's exactly because he has not matured very much at all past the time he was turned a century before and still frames everything from the mind of a teenager.
We know that vampires keep learning and are capable of changing their views. All of the Cullens have done it That doesn't indicate a mind that is perpetually stuck and impossible to change. You mentioned Carlise but again he was disgusted by the volturi and went a different way, experience changed him. Is your argument that only non adult vampires cannot mature or change with experience?

I can agree with you that Edward does act 17 at times but so does he act older a lot of times as well. He almost always had a cool head with Jacob and despite him being a vampire and an underdeveloped mind has unparalled control over his urges outside of anybody that is not Bella or Carlise.

So now we are arguing if Edward would still be effected by being 17 when I already acknowledged that he would be. What I take issue with is the idea that vampires cannot mature and their mind is essentially stuck when the story contradicts that all the time. Jasper was basically a monster but mostly changed only once Alice found him.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
This is my absolute favorite part of the movies. In the book, especially because its from Bella's perspective, the whole "what if my boyfriend was a hot immortal vampire" sort of works as a teen fantasy because teens can be really myopic about how much high-school matters and about life in general

In the movie, because the camera has to regard everything with a little bit of distance, the moment the Cullens walk into the school it becomes immediately clear: oh this premise is absolutely batshit insane and makes absolutely no goddamn sense. Its so wild. I love it so much

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who knows next to nothing about the Twilight series, the more I learn about it, the more fucking ridiculous it seems.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This is my absolute favorite part of the movies. In the book, especially because its from Bella's perspective, the whole "what if my boyfriend was a hot immortal vampire" sort of works as a teen fantasy because teens can be really myopic about how much high-school matters and about life in general

In the movie, because the camera has to regard everything with a little bit of distance, the moment the Cullens walk into the school it becomes immediately clear: oh this premise is absolutely batshit insane and makes absolutely no goddamn sense. Its so wild. I love it so much
Weren't there a second set of books written from Edward's perspective?

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
The worst part of twilight is making Vampires Sparkle. As a fan on vampires in general this was that shit that just made me mad. Why? Why do they sparkle? How is that their one weakness? Not death but sparkling like diamonds in the sun. It's so fucking stupid.

16459484.gif
Because their bodies are basically crystalline in structure. When they hit each other, they crack and shatter. It's not a weakness, I don't know why you said that.

5f6cb76a0f4d550011032153

latest

When they run, they're so fast that they're nothing but a blur to the human eye - that plus their skin reflecting the sun with sparkles gave them the appearance of being on fire, which in the books is explained as maybe being the origin to one of the vampire myths, that of being vulnerable to fire.

I get that people aren't going to like the sparkling but it's such a tiny thing. The vampires in Priest are barely sentient bat-like monsters but I don't remember people being all up in arms about how Hyung Min-woo is changing the vampire mythos. Every intellectual property that deals with vampires adds or takes away details of the mythos, sometimes changing them completely. Dracula has as much or as little to do with the vampires in True Blood or Priest or Castlevania as he does with Twilight.

As others have pointed out, there are plenty of other weird and upsetting things to focus on than this tiny and insignificant detail that will not travel on to any other property that has vampires in it. It's a complete non-entity and utterly insignificant.

Last edited:

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Honestly I typically just watch the first and then the last two. I skip 2 and 3, I dont find them enjoyable once you have seen them, especially 2. Im good without suicidal Bella near the whole movie.

As for is Edward forever with the mind of a 17 year old with no maturity possible, I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree there.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Because their bodies are basically crystalline in structure. When they hit each other, they crack and shatter.

5f6cb76a0f4d550011032153

latest

When they run, they're so fast that they're nothing but a blur to the human eye - that plus their skin reflecting the sun with sparkles gave them the appearance of being on fire, which in the books is explained as maybe being the origin to one of the vampire myths, that of being vulnerable to fire.

I get that people aren't going to like the sparkling but it's such a tiny thing. The vampires in Priest are barely sentient bat-like monsters but I don't remember people being all up in arms about how Hyung Min-woo is changing the vampire mythos. Every intellectual property that deals with vampires adds or takes away details of the mythos, sometimes changing them completely. Dracula has as much or as little to do with the vampires in True Blood or Priest or Castlevania as he does with Twilight.

As others have pointed out, there are plenty of other weird and upsetting things to focus on than this tiny and insignificant detail that will not travel on to any other property that has vampires in it. It's a complete non-entity and utterly insignificant.
I think the sparkle thing is dumb, especially since Edward treats the reveal of it like he looks like some kind of monster, but I will say I have always kind of liked the whole crystalline/marble approach to their battle damage (even if the movies weren't consistent with it).

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
We know that vampires keep learning and are capable of changing their views. All of the Cullens have done it That doesn't indicate a mind that is perpetually stuck and impossible to change. You mentioned Carlise but again he was disgusted by the volturi and went a different way, experience changed him. Is your argument that only non adult vampires cannot mature or change with experience?

I can agree with you that Edward does act 17 at times but so does he act older a lot of times as well. He almost always had a cool head with Jacob and despite him being a vampire and an underdeveloped mind has unparalled control over his urges outside of anybody that is not Bella or Carlise.

So now we are arguing if Edward would still be effected by being 17 when I already acknowledged that he would be. What I take issue with is the idea that vampires cannot mature and their mind is essentially stuck when the story contradicts that all the time. Jasper was basically a monster but mostly changed only once Alice found him.

I saying that changing your mind and opinions about things is not the same as actually maturing. Carlisle disagree with the Volturi's methods and rules, yes, but that was still framed from a viewpoint of a young adult, not from someone who is just changing with age. The books always frame vampires as these marble statues analogues, they don't really develop biologically so their brains never really change. That doesn't mean that they are forever stuck with the same opinions and beliefs, but that their mindset behind what opinions and beliefs they develop are always from the perspective of the age they had as humans.

Edward has gotten different opinions and his behaviour regarding violence has changed, but that is a change that with the right education, a teenager can go through even before he becomes an adult.
The same is the case with Jasper, even if logically speaking he has chosen to leave behind his violent past, he is not able to completely surpass that part of his brain that still draws him to these tendencies because physically speaking, his body and his brain don't really develop. He's still 19 as far as his behavior is concerned. Every action of his is reflective of who he was as a human, and his whole motivation is about how much of an effort he makes to fight against it.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
damb...hadn't thought about it that way...maybe these books aren't very well written....

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Because their bodies are basically crystalline in structure. When they hit each other, they crack and shatter. It's not a weakness, I don't know why you said that.

5f6cb76a0f4d550011032153

latest

There is a Urban Fantasy series where the main dude uses Book Magic, he can summon objects from books. There are all kind of rules that makes this not as op as it sounds. But the main point is when you reach into a book the book can reach back, which leads to people turning into vampires. And since vampires vary depending on the fiction you get the normal Dracula types, and the new comers such as the twilight vamps. Which are a problem because they are bascially juggernauts in the "real world" of the book.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
There is a Urban Fantasy series where the main dude uses Book Magic, he can summon objects from books. There are all kind of rules that makes this not as op as it sounds. But the main point is when you reach into a book the book can reach back, which leads to people turning into vampires. And since vampires vary depending on the fiction you get the normal Dracula types, and the new comers such as the twilight vamps. Which are a problem because they are bascially juggernauts in the "real world" of the book.
I don't know if anyone, even Twilight fans, really care that much about what Twilight brings to vampire mythos. Meyer is not expanding the world in any way and the hype machine has long since died with the last film. The only people really talking about Twilight any more are people who hate it.

I think the sparkle thing is dumb, especially since Edward treats the reveal of it like he looks like some kind of monster, but I will say I have always kind of liked the whole crystalline/marble approach to their battle damage (even if the movies weren't consistent with it).

Yeah that's the kind of issue that crops up when you have different directors, production crews and visual effects teams. Sadly.

Last edited:

ThatRebel

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
100 years of high school sounds like way better motivation to become Batman then watching your parents get murdered. Plus being a vampire preps him for being out all night.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Look what you made me do Era. The first book is only 2€ on amazon Kindle. I bought it. I blame you all.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Look what you made me do Era. The first book is only 2€ on amazon Kindle. I bought it. I blame you all.

The first book is actually OK.

The rest of the series... Well, I mean, it's not high literature, but the same can be said about a lot of shit that didn't get the hate Twilight did.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
The first book is actually OK.

The rest of the series... Well, I mean, it's not high literature, but the same can be said about a lot of shit that didn't get the hate Twilight did.
Keep in mind never seen the movies and I read these like a decade ago in high school

First one is good.

Second is the worst book I have ever finished.

Third one is my favorite

First half (maybe first 1/3 ) of 4 good the rest is awful.

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if I told a vampire to stay away from minors, they would just laugh right in my face. Maybe it depends on the vampire…

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason it's called a guilty pleasure 😔
I watch all 5 films with my discord buddies at least once a year while we relentlessly shit on it and pick it apart. We watch all of the movies during 1 week towards the end of the year and we've done this about 4 times now. Even did a drinking game once where we would take a sip every time Bella would stumble or blink like an idiot during the first movie.

We nearly died. Best movies hands down. 🤣

twilight-bella-swan.gif

Ty6aDB9.gif

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I mean if you like fantasy and vampires, they really aren't as bad a read as people make them out to be. Like popcorn movies, they are fun and pass the time. I flew through all 4 books.

I watch all 5 films with my discord buddies at least once a year while we relentlessly shit on it and pick it apart. We watch all of the movies during 1 week towards the end of the year and we've done this about 4 times now. Even did a drinking game once where we would take a sip every time Bella would stumble or blink like an idiot during the first movie.

We nearly died. Best movies hands down.
🤣

twilight-bella-swan.gif

Ty6aDB9.gif
You didn't count how many times she bites her lip? Well I guess you wanted to live.