• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
So is he going to the same high school each time he pretends to be a different guy and the admin is just too jaded to notice, or does he hop around to different high schools?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
As creepy as it is for a hundred year old vampire to basically stalk Bella (and Angel stalk Buffy) it was even more creepy having the "twilight moms" lusting after Edward and Jacob.
It's even worse when you realize Taylor Lautner was a minor when he played Jacob. Pattinson was 22 so like yeah he's an adult (playing a hundred year old who got turned into a vampire at 17 and stalking a 17 year old human) but we had grown ass adults going crazy about 16/17 year old real life actual person Taylor Lautner. There's a LOT about Twilight that's fucked.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Yeah the early seasons of Buffy is kind of hard to watch at times for me because I can't help but think of it. Angel was like 178, looks nothing like a kid especially in season 2, and he first started crushing on her when she was like 15. bleh

At least her mom in a round about way calls this out and convinces him to leave.

I actually do like the story and the two of them together even, I just wish the ages weren't so gross.

And then you remember that it's Joss Whedon show and certain aspect make much more sense.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Not sure that really makes sense. A long list of experiences is definitely part of what makes a person "older", it doesn't matter if their brain never gets less impulsive or whatever.
That and a 17 year old is more or less a functional adult even in American society. They almost always will be charged for murder as an adult, for example.

Sure he's going to be maybe slightly more hormonal, but yeah, 100 years of experiences and maturity would make him a lot different than he was 100 years ago. Hell, some teenagers in real life act more adult than some adults do, just because of the hardships they have been through.

I don't buy it.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It's even worse when you realize Taylor Lautner was a minor when he played Jacob. Pattinson was 22 so like yeah he's an adult (playing a hundred year old who got turned into a vampire at 17 and stalking a 17 year old human) but we had grown ass adults going crazy about 16/17 year old real life actual person Taylor Lautner. There's a LOT about Twilight that's fucked.
When you realize 50 Shades of Grey started out as a Twilight fan fiction it all comes full circle.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Her smell.
cover-nose-edward-cullen.gif

I swear, even the color grading of these movies is annoying and pisses me off.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
As creepy as it is, Anne Rice really nailed the age/appearance discrepancy with Claudia.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Kristen Stewart was also a minor when first Twilight movie was shot. I don't know why, but little while back I read about her and Pattinson's casting. Apparently stuff was getting bit out of hand between her and Pattinson so woman who was doing the casting in some weird, quite private, setting had to stop it because of her and Pattinson's age difference at the time.

I have never seen Twilight trilogy, but learning about it is always weird time.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Kristen Stewart was also a minor when first Twilight movie was shot. I don't know why, but little while back I read about her and Pattinson's casting. Apparently stuff was getting bit out of hand between her and Pattinson so woman who was doing the casting in some weird, quite private, setting had to stop it because of her and Pattinson's age difference at the time.

I have never seen Twilight trilogy, but learning about it is always weird time.
Oh god really? Yikes. For some reason I thought she and Pattinson were close in age and that it was just Taylor that was the minor on set of the three of them.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
It's true. All of it.

They call it supernatural imprinting but in the end, the dude basically claims an infant as his partner for life.

It is weird as hell, even if in the movies they show her grown up as an adult before things get romantic. But even then, she's actually only like 7 years old in human years!
Born sexy yesterday.

In the book they explain she grows 7x faster than normal children and is born with all of Bella's memories, a bit like Alia Atreides, so it's okay that Jacob wants to do the nasty with a newborn. She's born loving him already, donchaknow, and Jacob even has to be convinced with future visions that it's his destiny to take his teenage crush's 4 year old daughter as a consolation prize. Never mind that Bella's memories of Jacob are not Résumé's, nor are Jacob's memories of Bella about Résumé - never mind that - this is about a fan favourite getting his own happily ever after.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Oh god really? Yikes. For some reason I thought she and Pattinson were close in age and that it was just Taylor that was the minor on set of the three of them.

It isn't that huge difference at the end (he was born '86, her '90), but when talking teenagers and low 20's that gap gets to be big real fast. I guess she was around 16-ish when she was cast for the Twilight considering that movie premiered few years later, when she was 18. Movie premiered in FInland in December 2018 and she was born in April 1990.

Yes, I checked dates when thinking back on what I had read :D

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not, like, Jacob falling in love with a baby?

The phases of Twilight hate were interesting

Went from weird fans to hate to having to apologize for the hate BACK to hate when all the red flags came out

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
It isn't that huge difference at the end (he was born '86, her '90), but when talking teenagers and low 20's that gap gets to be big real fast. I guess she was around 16-ish when she was cast for the Twilight considering that movie premiered few years later, when she was 18. Movie premiered in FInland in December 2018 and she was born in April 1990.

Yes, I checked dates when thinking back on what I had read :D
I can almost understand this one. You spend a lot of time with this person, you are even spending that time being in a fake relationship! It makes sense a relationship could blossom there, even if she was like 16/17 and him 20.

But yeah probably good it was nipped in the bud. At least for a while since they ended up dating later anyway.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
One of the Cullens was a Confederate. I'm pretty sure they're all just horrible people and that's their motivation for doing what they do.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
In the series, so like the vampires minds mature after they've been bitten or whatever, or are they stuck frozen at that maturity level? Because if it's the first…

Yeah it ends up being super fucked up.
I actually read a book where a vampire was turned at the height of puberty, it had the side effect of making her 5 times faster than even elder vamps. But also made her crazy town banana pants, didn't help she was was raised by her grandfather who a vamp, Genghis Khan

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
One of the Cullens was a Confederate. I'm pretty sure they're all just horrible people and that's their motivation for doing what they do.
But he never saw any combat and died while evacuating white women and children ahead of the Union advance, so there's no righteous blood on his hands. I don't know if he owned any slaves himself, but his commanding officers and the families he helped almost certainly did.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Born sexy yesterday.

In the book they explain she grows 7x faster than normal children and is born with all of Bella's memories, a bit like Alia Atreides, so it's okay that Jacob wants to do the nasty with a newborn. She's born loving him already, donchaknow, and Jacob even has to be convinced with future visions that it's his destiny to take his teenage crush's 4 year old daughter as a consolation prize. Never mind that Bella's memories of Jacob are not Résumé's, nor are Jacob's memories of Bella about Résumé - never mind that - this is about a fan favourite getting his own happily ever after.
Yeah. She could have just written in a wolf or vampire love interest, maybe a cousin of Bella's or something, but falling in love with an infant works too I guess.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the head vamp say he look for young people with a particular spark?

There is no layers to that at all

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, now that I think about it, imagine the case of "back in my day music was good" these fuckers must be suffering from if they're in high school forever. Edward and Alice Cullen would have had his music tastes formed with early jazz like Livery Stable Blues. Jasper would be listening to Oh My Darling, Clementine. Carlisle would be into classic music like An Wasserflüssen Babylon.

Then they'd go to school and the kids would be telling them how awesome the songs on the Twilight soundtrack are.

Last edited:

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
For the record I am a big Twilight fan, movies and books actually. But I do take issue with certain elements. Heh.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure that really makes sense. A long list of experiences is definitely part of what makes a person "older", it doesn't matter if their brain never gets less impulsive or whatever.
That and a 17 year old is more or less a functional adult even in American society. They almost always will be charged for murder as an adult, for example.

Sure he's going to be maybe slightly more hormonal, but yeah, 100 years of experiences and maturity would make him a lot different than he was 100 years ago. Hell, some teenagers in real life act more adult than some adults do, just because of the hardships they have been through.

I don't buy it.
I mean y'all aren't wrong lol, but that's how the story itself justifies it.

End of the day, though, I don't think it's meant to be all that deep with Edward. Bella is a paper thin, shallow as heck character designed to be a window for the viewer to indulge in some silly little fantasies, and the concept of a mysterious, otherworldly, immortal boyfriend is thrilling af -- especially when you're a teen and all things dark and edgy still hold extra appeal.

Not that Twilight is in anyway above criticism and all the points made on this thread are 10000% valid (especially the Jacob stuff) LOL, but I like looking at Twilight as essentially fiction junk food; it's obviously shitty but still fun to indulge in.
Edit: Ah and I see you're actually a fan of it rjinaz, so you probably totally get what I mean. 😂

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the head vamp say he look for young people with a particular spark?

There is no layers to that at all
I'm imagining Carlisle trying to approach a new recruit to add to his family, making some melodramatic spiel about how they're the same so they should be brothers, then having to clarify that he doesn't mean that they're the same because they're vampires.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I mean y'all aren't wrong lol, but that's how the story itself justifies it.

End of the day, though, I don't think it's meant to be all that deep with Edward. Bella is a paper thin, shallow as heck character designed to be a window for the viewer to indulge in some silly little fantasies, and the concept of a mysterious, otherworldly, immortal boyfriend is thrilling af -- especially when you're a teen and all things dark and edgy still hold extra appeal.

Not that Twilight is in anyway above criticism and all the points made on this thread are 10000% valid (especially the Jacob stuff) LOL, but I like looking at Twilight as essentially fiction junk food; it's obviously shitty but still fun to indulge in.
Edit: Ah and I see you're actually a fan of it rjinaz, so you probably totally get what I mean. 😂
absolutely!

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

I don't buy it.
He was around before child labor laws and almost diedduring flu outbreak, if he wasn't mature after that, he would never be

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. She could have just written in a wolf or vampire love interest, maybe a cousin of Bella's or something, but falling in love with an infant works too I guess.
It would have been so easy for him to just hit it off with a guest at the wedding. Bella could be all "Jacob, I want you to meet my cousin, Elizabeth. Liz' vampire superpower is that she's really, really hot. Liz, meet Jacob."

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
tbf the Cullens were like the most boring, conservative group of vampires you will ever see, none of them seemed to be having any fun being an immortal vampire. Imagine having all the time in the world and choosing to hang out in the arse end of nowhere doing nothing.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
tbf the Cullens were like the most boring, conservative group of vampires you will ever see, none of them seemed to be having any fun being an immortal vampire. Imagine having all the time in the world and choosing to hang out in the arse end of nowhere doing nothing.
I mean sure, but also, it makes sense. If you think of the group as sort of recovering drug addicts that stayed together so they would never go off on a bender.

Being Conservative was kind of the point, they didnt want to "vamp out" because they know what the leads to.

I think all of them did spend some time away from the family and even went pretty dark at times but ultimately returned to where they were happy. Edward even killed people when he was alone. Carlise used to hang with the Volturi.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lots of weird pedo shit in twilight 100+ year old vampire attracted to a high schooler...

The author Stephanie Meyer did Jacob dirty.
Turned his character into a massive pedo. He was a huge simp for Bella, and her kid. Wtf.
Heard she was a low key racist too

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
No personal growth at all. Man Edward could have like 35 degrees by now.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
yo the baseball game only during thunderstorms rule was straight comedy. I was rolling on the floor when that shit happened

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part of twilight is making Vampires Sparkle. As a fan on vampires in general this was that shit that just made me mad. Why? Why do they sparkle? How is that their one weakness? Not death but sparkling like diamonds in the sun. It's so fucking stupid.

16459484.gif

Baneros

Aug 22, 2018
No personal growth at all. Man Edward could have like 35 degrees by now.
If I remember correctly he basically does, they don't pretend to be high school kids all the time. Edward never found a girl before Bella, so he studied while the other Cullen-pairs had fun and fucked each other. Carslile still have more degrees, but that's because he's a couple hundred years older than the rest of them.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
They are immortal Vampires. Make mega money, buy land off the grid and live in a huge mansion. What are they staying in small towns and going to school for?

Dec 2, 2017
Yeah but remember the tribe of werewolves she ripped off from an actual tribe without consulting them and who regularly fall in love with baby children.