• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Let's not pretend that you aren't attempting to shame people for standing up for themselves and demanding better from our corporate overlords. Pointing to shitheads who preyed upon and attacked innocent people as a smoke screen to hide the legitimate concerns and gripes that many others had with the store is silly at best and dishonest at worst. If we hadn't stood up and demanded better many of the worst elements of the EGS might not have changed for the better. You're dredging this up now, using the suffering of people who were attacked during that ugly period of time, as a cudgel to bash people whose opinions you dislike. You're a self-proclaimed fan of a multi-storefront future, including paid exclusives. And now you're here to gloat, stirring up bad feelings all over again.

This is thread just exists to make people fight with each other, and to very vaguely insinuate that anyone who dislikes the EGS is partially intangibly connected to the racists and harassers. Big thumbs down from me.

Extremely well said.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I didnt, and how could it be revenge at all. it was just something I was thinking about for a while thats all.

I was going by this reply you made earlier in the thread:

It sucks when people you know get death threats or get doxxed and harassed you know.
In response to
OP this is really petty.

Which makes it look like the thread was made in response to those tweets.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Calling out the hate campaigns that did happen in the name of something as silly as EGS.

And I'm calling out your bullshit, especially for this part:

"Some people have even gone as far as using racism and bigotry in the name of what was basically a silly platform war that ended in nothing. We even had a mod harassed out of their position.
"

You're a mod, right ? You have an entire access to my post history. My only other Era related discord also had ERA mods on it.
I've been named. And you've been making an allusion to BronsonLee.
Then I'm waiting. If indeed, I had a racist, harassing behaviour and made death threats, then show me the receipt and then ban me.
Because if those receipts indeed exist and you don't, that means you approve them.

Or maybe it's bullshit indeed and what you're doing right now is completly fucked up.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most things in the gaming enthusiast spaces are overblown for their 15 minutes.

Only thing that actually seemed to have clout to be annoyed by was Shenmue suddenly shifting without warning to people who already dropped real money. But that was a Shenmue dev thing to address, not the place they moved to imo.

The Shenmue stuff sucks and I hope no company tries to pull something like that again.

Oct 25, 2017
man you have less than no idea what you're talking about if you genuinely think Epic has a monopoly

that'd be like saying Apple has a monopoly on iPhones, or Taylor Swift has a monopoly on songs about being 22
I've done the monopoly dance with people on this website. Cited definitions, history, legal consequence, current examples... it was fruitless. When they're motivated to hate something, it's impossible to talk them out of their belief in the falsehoods they author to justify their feelings.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting considering he made this topic unbearable and was toxic himself. He would flat out dismiss and tell people they were wrong or make a joke out of their stance.
That works both ways. They disagree so that makes it ok to say they sent you death threats when they didn't?

Jesus.

He made jokes about people's stances on EGS and now he's lying about the death threats and harassment he received lol.

Amazing.

Oct 27, 2017
Like my last post, im not mentioning specifics.

I just know what happened to some of my friends.

Then airing this all out in a thread seems to be an extremely poorly thought out idea AT BEST, and some sort of blame game directed at those who dared be vocal about their opposition to Epic's tactics at worst. If this thread was made by a normal poster it would absolutely have been locked by now.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Is there any actual evidence of these supposed hate campaigns besides the tweets of a former ERA moderator?

Yes, which said poster presented to an admin

By the way, while yall feel real in the mood to defend some of these people: just casually gonna mention one here has already created a burner account specifically to keep harassing the poster who actively said he was trying to flee/avoid more abuse from him. That's the kind of behavior being endorsed/enabled

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not mentioning anyone in specific.

We can just do better if something like this ever happens again.
You have posted in response to a tweet containing the names of certain members which heavily deny the accusations (which may or may not be right, i don't know). If there was actual wrongdoing surely you and the people on the staff team will take action?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Epic's anti-consumer policies are still a big issue for PC gaming because they compromise one of the platform's core pillars, the customer's freedom of choice. Epic's impact on the platform ended up being rather anemic so far because of the PC gaming community's strong and unified response against those practices. We are experiencing a gaming age in which all sorts of walls are being torn down, from cross-save and cross-play to Microsoft and soon maybe Sony releasing their games on PC. Epic's attempt at becoming relevant in the PC digital distribution space seems like a relic from the past in that context and it should be rejected so that the company can divert its funds to compete in an actually consumer-friendly way, through improving its service and perhaps producing original content. Until that happens, it is important for the PC gaming community to keep the pressure on Epic by protesting against their business practices and not supporting them with purchases through the Epic Games Store as much as possible.

Someone having the opinion that EGS is "just a launcher" is fine by itself, it's not an issue. It becomes an issue when that personal opinion is being projected onto others as a fact so that they then have to explain and defend their own position that the service being used can have a significant effect on the quality of the experience of playing a game. That process, when repeated multiple times throughout a thread, effectively grinds meaningful discussion to a halt because the thread becomes an ouroboros of people posting "I don't understand why people are complaining, it's just another launcher" and others explaining for the umpteenth time what the issues with EGS are. I think that the moderators settled on treating the "just another launcher" posts as trolling after a while because after so many months of talking about EGS it could be reasonably assumed that most users should have at least a general idea of why EGS isn't just another launcher for some.

As for the tweet linked a couple of pages back, I'm not sure if it's appropriate to respond here. I'll just say that my posting history is open for everyone to see, I give my full permission to administrators and moderators to access and read my private messages on the site if they want to investigate anything and I will gladly provide my social media details so that it can be proven that I never contacted that person off-site on any other platform. Beyond that there's really nothing more to say on the matter.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

By the way, while yall feel real in the mood to defend some of these people: just casually gonna mention one here has already created a burner account specifically to keep harassing the poster who actively said he was trying to flee/avoid more abuse from him. That's the kind of behavior being endorsed/enabled

HOLY SHIT.
I'm the harasser ?
The guy is literally THROWING MY NAME.
I created an account to ask for receipts. I sent literally ONE tweet.
Show the evidences or shut the fuck up.

And yes, I created a burner account because I wont post with my name over a tweet accusing me of something without any proof.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
It's an anti-consumer method. Consumers are upset.

True. Steam doing the same would have been just as anti-consumer though. How many of the people here fighting for consumer rights would have cared?

Personally I don't like Steam that much so I said I didn't really care about another launcher and don't think its a big issue. Had like 40 replies calling me out in 10 minutes, then got banned for trolling.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017

..Wait what?

Are people supposed to just take being accused of something really serious like that in stride? The linked tweet is literally one post asking for receipts

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

That tweet isn't harassment...

If it's true, receipts are posted, end of discussion. If not true Ghost Trick would be owed an apology. Not that hard of a thing to do.

This thread is really fucked up.

Oct 27, 2017

Nobody is endorsing or enabling anything, I would just expect a thread created by a moderator to contain some sort of actual evidence of harassment besides a tweet?

If the harassment happened AND ERA admins were presented with it AND chose to do nothing, then ERA has some absolutely insane issues.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory point of comparison
It's about ethics in game launchers. And some just won't let their anger die and like to spread their gospel of terror. Oh, the horror.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HOLY SHIT.
I'm the harasser ?
The guy is literally THROWING MY NAME.
I created an account to ask for receipts. I sent literally ONE tweet.
Show the evidences or shut the fuck up.

And yes, I created a burner account because I wont post with my name over a tweet accusing me of something without any proof.

This is a fucking mess, what is going on here? Why is this thread open?

OP
OP

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then airing this all out in a thread seems to be an extremely poorly thought out idea AT BEST, and some sort of blame game directed at those who dared be vocal about their opposition to Epic's tactics at worst. If this thread was made by a normal poster it would absolutely have been locked by now.

How about we dont harass people over liking something like EGS is the entire point of this thread, I even said I think EGS is inferior to steam in every single way, but people should be free to use it if they want.

I'm not airing anything, I just have an opinion.

You have posted in response to a tweet containing the names of certain members which heavily deny the accusations (which may or may not be right, i don't know). If there was actual wrongdoing surely you and the people on the staff team will take action?

I have no idea what this post means or the intentions behind it.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
...I don't know the truth of what's going on between all the parties here, but this has devolved into a real shitshow and the thread just seems really counter-productive at this point. Probably best to sort out all of this in private.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
No one chose Epic to be a competitor, they chose themselves and told us they are the new competitor. We are also not supposed to complain about it? The toxic nature around internet discourse is one issue but the pushback against EGS for many reasons is understandable.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Someone's going to have to explain to me what's going on as well. I've read a few threads from time to time and if anything, I've seen the PC community drastically get smaller each time especially during the EGS launch period.
If the harassment happened AND ERA admins were presented with it AND chose to do nothing, then ERA has some absolutely insane issues.
Yeah this as well.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
How about we dont harass people over liking something like EGS is the entire point of this thread, I even said I think EGS is inferior to steam in every single way, but people should be free to use it if they want.

I'm not airing anything, I just have an opinion.

Nah, you clearly know what you're doing. Your behaviour is completly transparent. I could've give you the benefit of the doubt. But the timing is just too perfect.
That tweet popping out and you making a thread about how "a mod got racist harassement and death threats".

Then again: you're a mod:
If said evidence exist, ban me.
if not, maybe you should stop.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Why do you feel so defensive" is such a ridiculous way to attack someone without attacking their argument.
no. i think it does speak to a real difference. I've been critical of EGS, but I did not feel attacked by this post.
I didn't use the word "pro-consumer." I said people were standing up for themselves. Save your screed about how people who use that term for someone who actually does. People wanted better for themselves, so they screamed about it.
i didn't say you did use the word pro-consumer. but it was the motto of the anti-EGS movement. and let us not pretend that, as in the quote directly below, you have not used the "listen to consumers" canard in the past. just because people say they "want better for themselves" does not mean the things they scream are justified. sometimes, what someone things is better for themself is not actually the best course of action. here's that quote:
In an era where games perpetually increase the amount of gambling mechanics in products targeted toward children, I'm really not surprised that some developers don't care about the concerns of consumers.
moving on:
It's not about his opinion, it's about him wanting to shit on people who don't share his opinion.
please cite a specific quote where he "shits on people" for having a different opinion, rather than for things like harassment, death threats or bullying.
Why people like you feel the need to constantly mock with shit like "emotional pain over a storefront," which is a ridiculous exaggeration, and even if someone did have a problem where they felt that way, why would it be appropriate to mock them?
it's not mockery and it's not an exaggeration. the tone of my post was completely genuine and there is no irony intended. you said that the OP was "stirring up bad feelings." bad feelings and emotional pain are the same thing. even if a pain is relatively mild, it's still pain. and it's very clear to me that some people do feel pain over this storefront issue. i don't understand that the reason why they feel that way, but I think it's interesting and worth reflecting on.
OP isn't reflecting. He's lecturing.
i thought the tone was fairly gentle, actually. it's not as if the OP is unwilling to listen or is shutting out reasonable dissent. i suppose it could come across as a lecture, but i don't think your characterization is fair.
He's remonstrating against people demanding better from companies like Epic, instead saying we should have stayed silent and let Epic change on their own, because we did nothing.
please cite, via quotation, a specific example of where the OP said people should stay silent. that's not how I read the post at all. i see the OP saying that the roof has not fallen, so to speak, and that the harassment and hatred some people received were wrong. if the OP said, at any point, that people should not be allowed to voice their opinion if it's critical to EGS and conveyed in a reasonable way, I must have missed it.
It's ridiculous. OP is fanning the flames, and sure enough you come here to try to roast me for pointing it out.
what? i came into the thread because I wanted to read it, and I responded to your post because I thought it was unusual and I disagreed with it.
Because I'm your enemy, right? No, I'm not your enemy. This isn't a war. Why are you fighting?
i know you were unhappy about any suggestion that some of your arguments are based on projection, but I genuinely don't understand any other explanation for this statement. i think i'm being perfectly calm and measured about this. if you really think very mild disagreement makes me view you as some kind of enemy combatant, I don't know what to say to you. i'm not fighting, i'm responding. this isn't a war, it's a conversation. this specific section of your post is deeply confusing to me

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus.

He made jokes about people's stances on EGS and now he's lying about the death threats and harassment he received lol.

Amazing.
Jokes is an interesting way to put it. Anyway, This is two way street but its funny how you glossed over that he is calling them racist and they are stalking him on a public forum with no evidence but he somehow isn't bullying. As if calling someone a racist is no big deal.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Like my last post, im not mentioning specifics.

I just know what happened to some of my friends.
Not mentioning specifics when that Bronson tweet is out there is kind of meaningless isn't it? It's not hard to connect the dots on why you made this thread.

I guess when I get harassed as a result of Bronson's accusations your conscience is clear because you didn't target anyone specifically?
You are just the enabler.

Good stuff, really top notch moderation.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Games launching on every store is not something people has really ever opposed in this topic. The issue was that games instead launched on just one store, and Epic/Devs were being really smug about it.

Maybe something for OP to think about as well, the role Epic and devs had in the vitriol last year, with how they chosed the communicate about this.
I wasn't replying to posts after the first post, I was just stating my feelings about EGS and PC in general. So far so good for me. I even tried Fortnite again. Though I've always been using EGS before all this even happened. I played Paragon frequently as one of my go to games, and I owned Shadow Complex when it came out on what seemed like the Unreal Engine Store.

I'm just so used to using standalone game launchers as well. Final Fantasy and Final XI, and Fantasy XIV had their own launchers even though they were made by the same company. Emulators, other MMOs, etc. I've been conditioned for this.

When I first got the Steam Controller I didn't realize it was made to depend on Steam running all the time. I then regretted buying it, but thanks to PC being PC there was ways around it, and now there are ways to use it without Steam running. It's my favorite controller and I manage to play any game with it no matter what DRM it uses, or what store it requires to be loaded (even Game Pass). EGS is such a breeze with Steam Controller because most of it's games are DRM free, and that's pretty awesome considering Twitch Games, and GOG are the next ones up for being more DRM free from what I've noticed.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
man you have less than no idea what you're talking about if you genuinely think Epic has a monopoly

that'd be like saying Apple has a monopoly on iPhones, or Taylor Swift has a monopoly on songs about being 22

I assume (and to be fair, I'm not sure either) that what the person you quoted meant was in regards to Epic 'attempting' to create a walled garden taken to an extreme conclusion.

That, and/or he's referencing the people who, jokingly/trollingly or not, claim Steam has one.

True. Steam doing the same would have been just as anti-consumer though. How many of the people here fighting for consumer rights would have cared?

...We're relying on 'whataboutism' hypotheticals as a basis for an argument, now?

While Steam would probably have 'more' defenders given its history of building itself as a consumer-friendly storefront (of which Epic decidedly does NOT have), I've no doubt there would still be enraged people.

Personally I don't like Steam that much so I said I didn't really care about another launcher and don't think its a big issue. Had like 40 replies calling me out in 10 minutes, then got banned for trolling.

By no means am I saying that ban was appropriate, but, theoretically, if people were posting detailed/lengthy explanations on why they disagreed with that stance, and you come in late to the discussion and just repeat what has already been used as an easy drive-by/troll....could you not see how it would come across that way?

I'd say it's pretty straight forward?

The other poster asked if you/the other staff have receipts of the accused users - and if so, why hasn't there been anything done about it?

Pretty sure I'm either on ignore or the OP is just being highly selective, so I'm not sure why I'm bothering, lol

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I dont think I ever posted anyones twitter. I'm not moderating this thread for obvious reasons so idk what more to say on this.

Then you should call your fellow mods/admins to come over and do something about this thread, since apparently they're all sleeping/working/whatever.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Well things did happen. For example Hades (first Epic Store exclusive) sold more in 1 month on Stram than in 1 year on Epic Store, THQ Nordic avoided talking about Metro sales so that could mean less sales that they anticipated, many indie games released on Epic Store even with less competition on the store just came and went without any talk, we got Rune 2 where devs took the money and abandoned game after release, majority of the Store revenue was from Borderlands 3...

So it's not like Store helped either.
This is a hell of a thread but at least this post clued me in that Hades was on Steam now. I had missed that news. Still had Steam credit from christmas and caught Hades on the mid-week sale. Rad!

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

I am not sure that is harrasing, and I am not sure creating an account that says his name in era and ERA is considered a burner account as everyone knows who that would be (unless you really want people to use their real name, which then opens up other bad stuff).

OP
OP

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one chose Epic to be a competitor, they chose themselves and told us they are the new competitor. We are also not supposed to complain about it? The toxic nature around internet discourse is one issue but the pushback against EGS for many reasons is understandable.

I have complained about it and still do, its a bare ass launcher that does the bare min.

The response its got in the past year is silly and disproportionate, not even touching the toxic campaigns ive seen.

Vaporak

Banned
Jan 30, 2018
This thread is embarrassing, era was supposed to be a site founded on better moderation than the old place ended up with.

I believe in this thread and in any case it would be other mods that lock it if it happens.

And that is all fine, im literally arguing against hate campaigns that happened for no reason at all.

You also seem to be saying that a member of this forum is a racist harasser and are ignoring their pleas of innocence.
I'm not mentioning anyone in specific.

We can just do better if something like this ever happens again.
Yeah, not mentioning anyone in specific, just posting about an image that does mention specific posters.

If the harassment happened and the moderation staff can prove it then those posters should have been banned. If it didn't happen or you can't prove that it did then the moderation staff shouldn't be making threads and posts like this.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
We had real humans threatening the life of another human being over this garbage.

And still that doesn't invalidate the legitimate criticisms of the bad practices on display.
Imagine if any opinion could be dismissed because it's shared in some part with a bad person.
That's not a good way to argue anything.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I have complained about it and still do, its a bare ass launcher that does the bare min.

The response its got in the past year is silly and disproportionate, not even touching the toxic campaigns ive seen.

Show me the toxic campaign. And stop hiding your head in the sand.
You know what you're doing. And I'm not letting those terrible accusations fly by.

Status
Not open for further replies.