• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
If Nintendo is okay with other Apps, chances are it's more Netflix than Nintendo.
They literally only have 2-3 or apps. I am betting my chances on Nintendo. There is clear strict rules or deals to release an app on their store or it would be filled with apps. I am sure most companies/services want to cater for a platform with 40m and growing userbase.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
They literally only have 2-3 or apps. I am betting my chances on Nintendo. There is clear strict rules or deals to release an app on their store or it would be filled with apps. I am sure most companies/services want to cater for a platform with 40m and growing userbase.

Most of the systems have rules about what Apps are allowed to run. The point is that Nintendo is apparently okay with them since they have Apps from two big players on their machine. So it's odd that Nintendo made an exception with Netflix if Netflix didn't play some big part in it.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
What game ? You sure can't play Rainbow Six siege or Overwatch or any game requires actual tactics and combination with Nintendo switch so that alone limits "games"
But whatever nintendo people are happy with this
Those aren't on the Switch.

Only allow messages from friends. Disable in-game voice chat. Just you and the game. It's bliss.

The excuses all of you make up to defend this are lame af.
Why are you angry? baaaad kitty

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Imagine defending this shit when the 3DS had nearly all of these features over a decade ago. The lengths people will go to justify Nintendo's lackadaisical performance never ceases to amaze me.
it's pretty much a coping mechanism

we have no control so the choice is between deciding to be okay with it (and convincing ourselves with excuses) or being upset and doing... what, exactly? making forum posts?

it's a shitty reality that a lot of people go to great lengths to embrace

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I like taking a screenshot during a game and then sometime later go and make it my PS4s background wallpaper. Yet I see people in here calling that bloat? Weirdness!

The UI of Xbox and PS4 make me want to gouge out my eyes with dull pencils, so having a console that I literally just hit a button and click the icon to get into a game is a godsend.
What PS4 are you using? I pop in a games disc and my PS4 automatically brings up the game in question an then I hit X to start the game.

But when I think of the bs I have to wade through on other consoles, aside from some of the 3DS features I'm fine having a device that is quick and to the point for what I want it to do: Gaming.
What BS?

These "basic ass things" are things I don't mind not having. But I understand that I'm not of the age of "social" gaming, as I prefer single player or controlled environments and hate the idea of more features like Steam and PS4 where I'm lambasted with who's playing what, invites to rooms and chats, and other things that social gaming has ingrained in people.
You have to go outta your way ta see "who's playing what" on PS4. At boot the system drops ya on the "what's new" section which is just a right d-pad push away from the games. I also only play single player games an have not once been lambasted with any of that stuffs.

I have a phone? I've never used a console browser before. Like why?
I don't have a phone. Sometimes its more comfy/convenient ta use a console browser than to go over to my pc. Been using 'em regularly since the good old Dreamcast browser up through the PS3/PSP/3DS/PS4.

I'll never understand why some people are obsessed with having an activity log on their game console.
howlongtobeat.com

HowLongToBeat.com | Game Lengths, Backlogs and more!

How long are your favorite video games? HowLongToBeat has the answer. Create a backlog, submit your game times and compete with your friends!
Maybe someday all devs will awaken to the collective idea that all games should track and display your playtime in-game *and* accurately at that (counting cutscenes, loading, retries, etc.). Until then the 3DS activity log is freaking great as otherwise I have to manually track my playtime outside of the scarce few games that do it with real-time accuracy.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Maybe someday all devs will awaken to the collective idea that all games should track and display your playtime in-game *and* accurately at that (counting cutscenes, loading, retries, etc.). Until then the 3DS activity log is freaking great as otherwise I have to manually track my playtime outside of the scarce few games that do it with real-time accuracy.
But why do you want to track your playtime?

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
But why do you want to track your playtime?
I consider it a stat much like quest completion percentage, highest score, an others I like tracking! Another thing is when I'm deciding on a game to replay I'll check my completion times an they'll play a part in my decision on whether or not to start replaying a game at a given time. One other thing is looking back at my previous time an seeing if I can get through it quicker on the next go! Essentially as someone who likes stats and replaying games its handy info to have. On 3DS I just gotta boot up the activity log, elsewhere I gotta load up my site an remember which year I played it last an go to that page.

btw manually tracking time bites. Gotta jot down a start point, say: 5:00 p.m. (hitting start/load exactly at 00 seconds) and have a clock handy when saving and quitting, say 8:43:17 p.m. then doing some simple figuring out of the time spent from start to finish. For each an every session I play something. Then adding it all up at the end. And comparing it against the in-game playtime count which more often than not is displayed as less than the real time I spent >.<;

Oct 27, 2017
I like the switch like it is.

Congratulations I guess for accepting and welcoming mediocrity?

I can't imagine that there are actually people out there that are happy with the glacial pace of Nintendo's OS development.
I can see some of the complaints and almost share some of them, but it's of zero detriment to my experience with the console. Especially with things like messaging/voice chat/UI clutter/etc.

The UI of Xbox and PS4 make me want to gouge out my eyes with dull pencils, so having a console that I literally just hit a button and click the icon to get into a game is a godsend.

I actually hate using my PS4 compared to my PC or Switch at this point because of just how much of a pain it is over time. Console Browsers have always sucked, I would hate voice chat, and not having spam messages like I do on PS4 is a pro in my book. But the streaming support and everything else feels like effort that would be wasted in my eyes because despite it being "in" it's not necessary to play games, and honestly I'm okay with having a device that isn't trying to replicate the social media nightmare that is most consoles and smartphones these days.

There's little things like the playtime tracker and achievements that I think are just...non issues. They're fine if they added them but are completely irrelevant to the enjoyment of games and the media on the device.

I would love some themes, more 3DS style control over the grid/tiles for the games, and bluetooth sure. But when I think of the bs I have to wade through on other consoles, aside from some of the 3DS features I'm fine having a device that is quick and to the point for what I want it to do: Gaming.

I should end this with I totally understand why people would want these features, and I get it, but calling it "basic features" and saying all of the things listed have to be present for a "modern console" and some of the snark in the post just comes off as griping that a console isn't giving you what you want. I've been complaining about the terrible user interface and terrible menus of PS4 for years and nothing's changed, so I feel ya there, I just don't think I need "Social" elements for a game console to be a good game console, especially when the gaming features like firmware sharing, easy friend code searching etc are all present on the platform.

These "basic ass things" are things I don't mind not having. But I understand that I'm not of the age of "social" gaming, as I prefer single player or controlled environments and hate the idea of more features like Steam and PS4 where I'm lambasted with who's playing what, invites to rooms and chats, and other things that social gaming has ingrained in people.

Maybe I need specific examples of why these features are needed aside from maybe bluetooth and netflix to understand. Because I have a phone for browser access and typically quicker/easier connection to 4G and the like, and cloud saves could be tweaked for sure.

I don't understand the frustration with time to get into a PS4 game. With rest mode, it's basically the same process as on the switch, albeit longer by a few seconds. Just turn on, go one icon to the right, and then you're in the game. Like, what's different aside from speed in booting up?

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
Maybe it's because I just use my switch for games, but most of that seems superfluous. Why would you want the switch to be a Bluetooth speaker? The speakers are decent enough, but have no bass; so why would you use it as a speaker?

Having no browser is fine, most folks probably use their smart phones for that. It would be nice but unnecessary.

Themes are nice, but I'm playing games; not surfing menus, so I wouldn't see it anyway. I don't see a point to folders. What needs to be seperated? Games, game saves, and pictures? Maybe I'm lacking imagination.

I agree that netflix and social features need to be there (or maybe there are and I just haven't explored it). Twitch support needs to happen too, but Nintendo likes to control their content; soooo...yea.

Oct 28, 2017

It's probably more likely due to the fact that Netflix wants Nintendo to license the Playready DRM that Netflix uses in other platforms and Nintendo won't because they are cheap.

Last generation of Nintendo consoles Netflix was smaller and hungrier and was willing to make a custom app for the Wii U and 3DS. Today Netflix wants one code base everywhere and they don't want to support custom apps for platforms (which is probably why the Wii U app got an update that made it worse). Nintendo doesn't understand why they can't just do what they did last generation and so we don't get Netflix.

Hulu was fine with just basic HDCP DRM because they had an ex-Nintendo guy there that probably told them there was a 0% chance Nintendo would license Microsoft's Playready DRM.

Oct 25, 2017
Why does every single one of these threads ends up with someone saying "Actually the lack of features is a good thing"
Because it's a chore to turn on my PS4, and it's sluggish, bloated, and cluttered. I hate it. Switch is sublime in comparison, and if the trade off is some features it's absolutely worth it.

Folders would be nice though. That's about the only one I really think I'm missing.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Only if they would make money that way. Rumor has it Netflix had a very low user count on 3DS and Wii. There is no evidence that Nintendo would go out of their way to block one specific video streaming service when they don't block others. On the other hand, a company like Netflix not wanting to spend a lot of money maintaining a separate code base for a game console unlike the other ones, that doesn't actually make them much money...that seems quite reasonable.

Or maybe Nintendo has a grudge against Netflix for not carrying the Super Mario Bros. live-action movie in the US...

Jan 3, 2019
Because it's a chore to turn on my PS4, and it's sluggish, bloated, and cluttered. I hate it. Switch is sublime in comparison, and if the trade off is some features it's absolutely worth it.

Folders would be nice though. That's about the only one I really think I'm missing.
You're right, having party chat and a browser would make the OS turn into shit. It's science.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
You're right, having party chat and a browser would make the OS turn into shit. It's science.
Web browsers eat a ton of memory, and take a lot of processing power too on certain sites. And the browser would need to be in memory at all times (the whole point of a browser on a game console: to look up hints while playing a game). Switch doesn't have much memory compared to the other consoles, and games expect to be able to access most of it (Switch memory is already shared between CPU and GPU). The more apps you have in the OS eating up memory and CPU power, the less memory and CPU power are available for games.

Jan 3, 2019
Web browsers eat a ton of memory, and take a lot of processing power too on certain sites. And the browser would need to be in memory at all times (the whole point of a browser on a game console: to look up hints while playing a game). Switch doesn't have much memory compared to the other consoles, and games expect to be able to access most of it. The more apps you have in the OS eating up memory and CPU power, the less memory and CPU power are available for games.
The freaking Vita has a working browser with a pittance of memory alloted to the system. I think they can manage.

In fact, the Vita has most of those features and the OS works fine 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any chance we can get a 'Time To Gameplay' counter?

I swear most of the time I'm staring at my games and wondering 'how fast until I am playing' these days.

I don't hate the pile of shame I have I just want to get past the preamble. Switch games tend to have that edge, not even taking into account system level updates etc.

Actually one of the big dissappointments for me this gen.
I mean the Switch is a great piece of hardware and has a huge potential. But Nintendo is really doing the least amount of work now that it's out..
They could do so much more with it, among those things OP mentioned..

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The freaking Vita has a working browser with a pittance of memory alloted to the system. I think they can manage.

In fact, the Vita has most of those features and the OS works fine 🤷‍♀️
Have you actually tried the Vita browser while playing a game? A common scenario: a webpage slowly loads, reaches 90%, the Vita runs out of memory, the page starts to reload again, gets to 90%, Vita runs out of memory... Not all sites do that of course, but even Reddit can cause it. Or sites load text only, no images. The onscreen keyboard is slow and clunky. What I'm saying is, yes, Vita has a web browser. One that often provides a really bad experience to the user, unless you close any game first and disable javascript support.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Have you actually tried the Vita browser while playing a game? A common scenario: a webpage slowly loads, reaches 90%, the Vita runs out of memory, the page starts to reload again, gets to 90%, Vita runs out of memory... Not all sites do that of course, but even Reddit can cause it. Or sites load text only, no images. The onscreen keyboard is slow and clunky. What I'm saying is, yes, Vita has a web browser. One that often provides a really bad experience to the user, unless you close any game first and disable javascript support.
Better some experience than none. WiiU had abreally good browser btw and I heard that Switch is more powerful.

it's a shame Nintendo is always lacking when their products are scoring well.

Jan 3, 2019
So you prefer no browser over the possibility of having to close the game to use the browser?

Okay.

TangorFopper

Feb 2, 2018
Italy
Generally speaking I don't understand why if someone is fine with the Switch as it is (with not many features actually) he/she's immediately attached as being "brainwashed" by Nintendo or being a fanboy.

I bought the Switch just as a gaming device, the fact that someone sees it as a "tablet" sound really strange.
I usually don't see the "home" menu for months because I usually play and then put the console in sleep mode (repeat until the game is done).

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France

It takes roughly 5 seconds to launch a game once you've reached the PS4's main menu.

You literally turn it on then click on the game you want to launch.

What a chore ! Such bloat !

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up a Switch for MUA 3. So far I'm not impressed tbh. The games are great, but the IQ on the tablet is pretty poor. The lack of bluetooth audio support is frankly ridiculous in 2019.

I prefer wired headphone quality and utility but it is a bit weird. The wireless radio being hella weak is weirder tho.

RGamer2009

Oct 28, 2017
I just want a proper messaging system for friends that are online. That shouldn't be too hard.. right?

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of any cohesive online system is still baffling to me, especially since you now have to pay for it. You can't message or invite your friends to games. Basically everything required to play with a friend needs to be done external to the Switch. Hell, there are first-party online Nintendo games with no relationship to the system-level friends list. If you want to play your friend's level in Mario Maker 2 you need to get their MM2-specific creator ID. Absurd.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
But sales are still amazing so having new features are not must haves clearly.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I prefer wired headphone quality and utility but it is a bit weird. The wireless radio being hella weak is weirder tho.

I read a lot of hearsay on why this is. One thing I've read is that all the available bluetooth channels are taken up, the other is that bluetooth interferes with the joycons. Where the truth lies, I have no idea.

Being able to bluetooth headphones is the only thing that I rue the absence of on this machine.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
The Switch is very basic, but to be fair alongisde my PS4 it's there when I need it, I grab it to play games, that's what it's for and what it does best.

My only, very minor issue I do agree with is the lack of bluetooth, but other than that everything else is pretty much trivial.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not even. The entirety of 2018 and the first half of 2019 were a barren wasteland regarding Nintendo games. The second half of 2019 is better but I wouldn't put it past them to have the next software drought right around the corner.

It appears that way because they don't get as many of the AAA third party titles but it's not like Switch doesn't get any big titles.

Yoshi's Crafted World
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Octopath Traveler
Super Mario Maker 2
Kirby Star Allies
Mario Tennis Aces
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Super Mario Party
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!

This was from wiki of best selling games from 2018 to now.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
I agree with a lot of these points with the exception of the web browser. I know some people would use it, but that's probably too small a number to justify how people would take advantage of it.

Almost every 3DS exploit I've ever done has been running unsigned code through the web browser. In that regard I get that Nintendo just wouldn't even want to deal with it.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, my shitty excuse got called out, let's troll, quick !

Actually I'm angry because of you fuckers gatekeeping options for the rest of us out of pure fanboyism.
I'm not gate-keeping anything, I just don't care. I don't need any of those options and if Nintendo decides thay don't want to implement them , then fine.