• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
It's absolutely standard in handheld devices though.

Unless you want to treat the Switch purely as a traditional console like the PS4 or Xbox One, but then you run into the problem that it doesn't contain basic features of those products either. I'm uninterested in that argument myself since I don't use it that way.

Again it's not a standard in arguably the biggest dedicated handheld gaming devices in the last decade.

You can just connect a wired headset with mic to the DS4 and connect to the console via BT that way.

Well you can plug a wired headset into the switch if you really want to, but we are talking Bluetooth headsets here.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
No article this time. This is an opinion thread straight from yours truly.

The Switch has been out for well over 2 years now, and as the newest console from the big three manufacturers, it's missing some shockingly basic ass things that you would expect for a console released in 2017.

• Just about all social features tied to a smartphone application. You can't even send a simple text message to a friend at the system level
  • System level voice chat. See above.
  • No real Virtual Console. Retro games (and Nintendo has a gigantic library of them) have been a staple for Nintendo platforms ever since the damn Wii came out 13 years ago, and the Switch doesn't even come close to offering what that thing offered in 2006. The Wii U and 3DS, systems that the Switch is meant to replace, both have a robust VC library. So what gives?
  • Folders.
  • Cloud saves locked behind a sub. In fairness Sony also does this. Doesn't make it any less shitty however.
  • Achievements. I know some of you don't care for them but I don't really care to have that conversation. The point is that some of us do care, and if you're one of the folks who don't, great, you can easily ignore them. No reason not to have them.
  • Netflix.
  • A browser. The thing is a glorified tablet ffs.
  • The playtime tracker is awful compared to the 3DS, which, again, is a system that the Switch replaces.
  • No support for Bluetooth audio, which a big misstep for a console that is marketed to take with you anywhere and everywhere.
  • The eShop is a minimalist mess that sucks for discoverability.
  • Twitch or any kind of streaming support. It's 2019. Streaming is in.
  • I was promised Switch rooftop parties. Talk about false advertising breh
These are just off the top of my head but I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting. I was willing to give the Switch a pass for the first year because I understand there's some growing pains involved when you release a new console, but now that we're past the two year mark and with a revision along the way, I'm starting to run out of patience. What's the deal Nintendo?

Some valid points, OP. But i wouldn't count a browser as a feature i'd expect from a modern console. Do people seriously use their PS4 or XBOX One to browse the internet? I mean, smartphones happened. And they only got better since 2014. Same with Netflix. It's pre-installed on nearly every TV for years, even low-budget ones. On the go you have tablets and phones. It's nice but not essential in any way on Switch.

And the eShop might be a bit overcrowded but their highlight section coupled with the well curated News feed still leads me to new and interesting discoveries. And the shop itself is marvelously sleek, fast and easy to use. It's miles (!) better than using the store on PS4 which is just a mess overall. 3 Minutes is all it takes me from booting up, searching, buying, paying and finishing my purchase in Switch.

+ 1 though for better Virtual Console, folders and bluetooth audio.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's unreal. I bought one around November 2017, and by then I would have thought we'd have a browser, proper media software (we have YouTube but no Netflix and such), a lot more OS options in general. And yet, we don't. Even the social options are very weak. It doesn't kill my overall experience by any means, but it's ironic that the 3DS had tons of features the Switch still lacks in this sense. When my phone died, I could browse Gaf from my 3DS: it wasn't the most pleasant experience but at least it worked. How is it that there's still no browser on the Switch?

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
It's amazing to see how much people will defend NIntendo when discussing the overwhelming lack of modern features the Switch has. I love the Switch, which is why it infuriates me knowing the console could be even better, if Nintendo would just adapt to some current standards and listen to their audience when it comes to feature requests. Some of the things Switch lacks are just flat out inexcusable for a game console in 2019, like voice chat and messaging that isn't tied to a garbage phone app.

Making excuses for why it isn't important that Nintendo add these things is exactly why they're in no hurry to do so. They're already tone deaf to their audience in the best of situations, but unless the Switch owning community as a whole stops giving them a pass and start making it clear that features like OP stated are a must if they want their products supported, we'll just keep seeing them ignore sizable part of their audience and making features like these a reality.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
You can certainly say, "I don't care about a feature" or be dismissive of a web browser, etc. But, your argument is BS, honestly. Especially from a business perspective. I don't need a web browser, I'll just use my phone or PC. I don't need netflix, i'll just use my roku or PS4. That's time you aren't using your switch. they are handicapping themselves. Instead of saying, I'll take my switch with me, you might say, well iw ant to be able to use a browser today and watch netflix, so I'm just going to take an ipad with me. Now the switch isn't getting used, which means less time in your hands and less recognition as a device that you take with you everywhere you go. now it's become a "Well when i feel like gaming then i'll take it with me" machine. Instead, they should want people to say, "no, I'll leave the ipad at home because my switch can do everything it can, in fact I'm going to sell it and use my switch as my tablet because why do i need two of them?"

Instead the switch becomes an after thought and only valid when you really want to play a game and nothing else.

I feel like this is the biggest takeaway for a lot of people that want a device that is a little bit more versatile, I've been on 5 overseas trips since owing the Switch and never once have I thought of taking it over an iPad, laptop etc because I don't know if taking a whole device to only play games is worth the hassle. If it could do these other things though I would almost certainly take it over an iPad. For a hardcore gamer or nerd it might be essential but for me it's kinda dead weight.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's half assed view of what its own tech should be able to do continues to disappoint. The last time I saw shit as jury-rigged as their chat function was rigging up PSPs for online play through computer programs.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It feels the least connected of all my devices, it's an isolating experience which can be ok. But I don't spend a lot of time on it for many of the reasons you mentioned.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I actually don't miss anything that you've suggested. I have Netflix on literally everything else, for example.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
It's amazing to see how much people will defend NIntendo when discussing the overwhelming lack of modern features the Switch has. I love the Switch, which is why it infuriates me knowing the console could be even better, if Nintendo would just adapt to some current standards and listen to their audience when it comes to feature requests. Some of the things Switch lacks are just flat out inexcusable for a game console in 2019, like voice chat and messaging that isn't tied to a garbage phone app.

Making excuses for why it isn't important that Nintendo add these things is exactly why they're in no hurry to do so. They're already tone deaf to their audience in the best of situations, but unless the Switch owning community as a whole stops giving them a pass and start making it clear that features like OP stated are a must if they want their products supported, we'll just keep seeing them ignore sizable part of their audience and making features like these a reality.

I get where you're coming from, but maybe the reason why they're not in a hurry to do so is because even as it is it's selling better than sliced bread right now. So obviously the features this enthusiast forum expects from the device are no deal-breaker for the larger part of the target group.

And i think we have to differentiate between OS-level features and services (Game pass, Virtual Console etc.). OS-level features don't sem to be deciding in a buy/ no buy decision. Folders didn't sell the Vita or Wii U. But services like Game Pass, Virtual Console etc. most certainly seem to have some kind of positive influence (Wii, XBOX One etc.).

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
For those that have the mindset of I don't use these features I just want my Nintendo console to play games, consider this:

Why folders are a good feature - A buddy and me are going to visit a friend for a three day weekend. I have a decent library of digital games and I can't always remember what games are co-op/local multiplayer, etc. Plus it would be clunky to sift through my entire library. So I can make folders for games that are good for something like three player co-op or local multiplayer and it's easy to go through them with my friends to decide what we feel like playing.

System chat -

First, as nice as smartphone apps might be I don't think we should consider that a viable alternative. Whether a phone is charging away from you, broken, no signal, or you don't have one, it's not good being the only method.

Now, I don't play online games much anymore. When I do it's normally with my friends and we can just text. But what if you are playing something with people you aren't friends with in real life and your headset dies? Or you don't have one. You can send a quick message via the console. In some instances you might take a screenshot and it's easiest and quickest to just send it in a message via the console. Not everybody is going to have a discord channel or another way of communicating with people outside of the system. This is also why a system level voice chat should be a standard feature.

Netflix and other apps -

Being a portable system, a lot of people will take their Switch places where they wouldn't a console. Whether it's on a commute or a trip, having something like the switch is great, but you might not always feel like playing games. I personally can never will get into playing something when I'm riding in a car for example, so you can watch Netflix or something similar. While your phone is certainly an option, the switch has a larger screen so it would be a better viewing experience. And it has a built in stand so there are instances where it's also more convenient than a phone.

Trophies -

Unlike a lot of the other missing features this is the only one where I understand the argument to not have it even if I disagree. However, a trophy system has become pretty ubiquitous so its absence is noticeable. And one example of why it's nice to have them is me and a friend of mine will find a few games a year where we can play together, and it's genuinely fun to work towards getting the platinum together (we call it platinum bros). I remember we worked on Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker for like a year, and he even bought peace walker shirts anticipating us getting the platinum whenever I came to visit him. Without a trophy system, there wouldn't be this secondary reward system that can make playing games that much more fun. We wouldn't have matching shirts or silly nicknames without them.

These are just some examples. The defense of "I don't use that feature" or "I don't see the need" is about as weak an argument as you can make. I have never streamed a game on twitch. I have never watched a game on twitch. There's a good chance both of those will always be true. That doesn't mean a game console in 2019 wouldn't benefit from having this feature I care nothing about...because as much of a surprise as this is to some people others might actually really appreciate these features.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This only reminds me of how ahead of its time the Vita was.

Yeah, this is fascinating. The Vita was powerful for its time, ran gorgeous games, had a Party system I believe, came with a bunch of features out the box, messaging, trophies...

...and if you put it to sleep you could get back to a game instantly and it'd hold that charge for like a week.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
You hit pretty just about all of my issues with the system.

Folders
Some way of chatting/messaging friends
Bluetooth audio
Themes
Better activity log(I wish Sony was much better at this too)

The only thing I would add is an option to start in the expanded home screen view without having to scroll all the way to the right.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Gimme trophies, gimme VC. I wouldn't use Netflix on the Switch, but I could see why some people would. What I would like though is Spotify on my Switch. I think my Switch would last much longer than my phone in most cases. More theme options should have been there from like the second month or so. Nintendo Online is just a joke. Except for exclusives, I never use my Switch and then again there are only a few exclusives that really interest me. I still use my Vita more for handheld gaming, one of the reasons being trophies, oh and way better social options. Vita may be dead, but being on the system it feels much more 'alive' than when I am playing on my Switch.

The system actually has a browser, but we can't access it. Coward Nintendo.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I can't tell if this assumption that people in your console's friends list have to be people that you regularly interact with in real life is genuine naiveté or deliberate obtuseness. I mean you people do use the internet after all. You meet people there and interact with them. The same thing can happen on a console, I meet these people in game then we chat via the console's messaging system. Then we'll keep playing the same game from time to time, or even different games ! Amazing I know, the future is here.

Can't believe I seriously have to type that shit.
I think you're overestimating the number of people who are interested in socializing via game consoles, or who even give a shit about multiplayer games at all.

Sure, lots of people do, but there's also a HUGE chunk of the market that could not possibly care less. I want to meet some online through gaming about as much as I want to catch the Black Plague, personally. I actually like that something like Splatoon doesn't have the option, and therefore doesn't defacto require, me to get into getting on voice chat to coordinate or whatever shit. That's a level of commitment I just am not interested in.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I only miss the virtual console and saves back up, both of them fucked up to make their shitty paid online look better.

Other than that I'm happy with the simple, snappy menu, but I'd like for them to add the R1/L1 to go from left to right.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everything about the Switch I find either lackluster or terrible, apart from the games though, and those games are the reason why I'm still looking at getting one sometime this year.
But yeah, right now I can't justify paying the expensive cost of Nintendo and the Switch the way it is, especially since I'm never going to use it undocked.

This is me as well. They don't care to improve their system or any services. I mean the hardware is so expensive, you need additional shit like an sd card, pro controller, screen protector and so on.

I want one for the games as well, but anything on the system is overpriced for what it is.

Oct 30, 2017
Apparently people buy all kind of games on the Switch, this is why many indie games sell best on Switch and it has way better third party support than GameCube, Wii or WiiU.

It's just that most people don't care much about social features or Netflix or Browser. They buy the Switch to play games.

VC will never be possible again, since many companies discovered that they can sell their retro games themselves.
Yeah that's ultimately what I meant, totally agree. Nearly every device I own currently will play Netflix or other general media consumption tasks, but none of those things play games the same way the switch does, so it doesn't bother me in the least that the switch doesn't do those things. If I want to watch Netflix, I'll do so on my tv or my tablet or my phone. Nintendo focusing on differentiators + ease of development + games is why the switch is successful.

Oct 30, 2017
Browser and Netflix and things like that I don't care about at all. Voice messaging / Bluetooth is absolutely lacking and should be standard as it impacts the game experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Fast UI is frankly pointless and overrated when the console features, & UI presentation all amount to the console feeling like a prototype factory unit 2 years in.

You have my sword OP.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Thankfully the Switch is my secondary system, but I can sympathize OP. I think the most ridiculous feature lacking is SNES games and ports of games like Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD, W101, etc. I'd pick them all up in a heartbeat.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Nintendo weren't even gonna acknowledge the joycon issues, which have been there since day 1, until a class action lawsuit starting breathing down their necks. As long as the fanbase continues to stan for less features and mediocrity, you'll only get less features and mediocrity.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trophies and Gamerscore are bargain basement skinner box crap, I'm glad Nintendo doesn't support that shit.

Call me overbearing or whatever, but games should be played and enjoyed because of the entertainment derived from playing not because of a tacked on checklist that offers a dopamine rush whenever the subject performed the correct action.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
The lack of messages is odd, but I'm pretty okay with it.

I've had so few good experiences with online gaming, and I've seen the social features on other consoles used to prop up groups of account hackers. I'd like to have more features, but I'm grateful for the lack of toxicity and abuse.

I agree that the switch is probably a frustrating experience for people really into online gaming.

I wonder how the online service in Animal Crossing will work out. The process for online in New Leaf was pretty bad, so it'll be interesting to see what Mario Maker style headaches will appear.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It's such a soulless system in many ways, from the barebones UI to the lack of customisation and even the basic game box spines. Surprising from a company known for showing so much personality through the Wii, DS and 3DS.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
We have a theme section and there's only been two options in it for two damn years.
Oh god, what if themes are going to be exclusive to the Switch Pro only?

You might as well just get rid of the friends thing entirely. Is there ANY use for it at all?

The worst part is that I have people on there that change their names all the time and I have no idea who is who - so it's not even good for tracking people and what they're playing... which is the basic function of a friends list surely? Aside from messaging.

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're overestimating the number of people who are interested in socializing via game consoles, or who even give a shit about multiplayer games at all.

Sure, lots of people do, but there's also a HUGE chunk of the market that could not possibly care less. I want to meet some online through gaming about as much as I want to catch the Black Plague, personally. I actually like that something like Splatoon doesn't have the option, and therefore doesn't defacto require, me to get into getting on voice chat to coordinate or whatever shit. That's a level of commitment I just am not interested in.
Guess what, if the option is available, you can ignore it. as of right now, people that like that option and want it, don't have it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Personal opinion follows.

Since using other systems for years and only very recently getting a Switch, it's amazing how half-assed the system feels. Outside of the games, which are certainly Nintendo's only strong point, the rest feels super meh. Weak services, average hardware, terrible controllers (Pro is better but not by much) and a reluctance to get with the times.

It certainly is a machine just to play Nintendo games because everything else is simply done better elsewhere. We will see how long the Zelda, Smash, Mario Kart shine lasts.

PUNQ

Apr 18, 2018
Norway
While I wish the Switch had most of the features people are talking about....

....from a personal experience, the Switch not having them has made the Switch my most played console, as well as being the machine I've bought the most games for. Straight gaming focus, less distractions. Especially for the social media aspects. In a way the Switch become a disconnect/break from all that. People have other mediums for the social stuff.

Of course, the minimalistic approach is mostly Nintendo being ridiculously lazy, but it also works in favor of their official corporate philosophy of making gaming fun. Back to basics. While we like it or not, it might actually be a philosophy that works in favor of the Switch.

That's not denying that we all want more....

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
While I wish the Switch had most of the features people are talking about....

....from a personal experience, the Switch not having them has made the Switch my most played console, as well as being the machine I've bought the most games for. Straight gaming focus, less distractions. Especially for the social media aspects. In a way the Switch become a disconnect/break from all that. People have other mediums for the social stuff.

Of course, the minimalistic approach is mostly Nintendo being ridiculously lazy, but it also works in favor of their official corporate philosophy of making gaming fun. Back to basics. While we like it or not, it might actually be a philosophy that works in favor of the Switch.

That's not denying that we all want more....

How is the Switch not having a bunch of optional features and services good? How does it make it more of a disconnect for you?

Respectfully, that sounds like a weak justification for you playing more on the Switch than it does an actual explanation for why the system is better for not having that stuff, even just specific to you.

skysthelimit

Jan 16, 2019
The Switch is my only system and for me, personally, the only one that really annoys me is no Bluetooth audio.

I love the hardware, and the simple UI.

I'll never say no to additional features but the Switch basically does everything I want, and very well at that.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I wonder if some of you are also upset that phones now do more than just make calls.
I mean, seeing some of you asking for Nintendo and applauding them for not giving more options just seems weird to me.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
VC is not a feature of a "console". Neither is Netflix and that is up to Netflix themselves. I doubt Nintendo are actively blocking them and allowing Youtube and other apps.

PUNQ

Apr 18, 2018
Norway
How is the Switch not having a bunch of optional features and services good? How does it make it more of a disconnect for you?

Respectfully, that sounds like a weak justification for you playing more on the Switch than it does an actual explanation for why the system is better for not having that stuff, even just specific to you.
It's not a justification or a defense of lack of features (I want all those features). Just a fact that for me, not having all those options made me play games more. Less distractions (unconsciously so) made me more focused on playing games than doing anything else with the machine.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with everything OP. I like the speed and simplicity of the Switch OS, but you can still put in some much needed features without sacrificing the good elements. It's crazy that Netflix is not on this thing.

Pie in the sky, but maybe some bigger OS features will hit once the Lite comes out. Themes really highlights the individuality of the system, something you want to push with the new model.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
I'd rather Switch stayed the way it is, streamlined and free of system clogging features and apps. Switch isn't a phone replacement, I dont need to check my twitter on it. I even consider the youtube app too far. Games and only games, there are other console/device options if you want all that other stuff.

Some people want it to do everything their various devices do, but I don't care to have that conversation.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
I mean pretty much everything about the console is outdated just like their previous consoles so its not surprise.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
No Bluetooth audio is such a bummer. Basically have to carry around a pair of wired headphones just for my switch rather than use the ones I do for everything else.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I can't believe nintendo still gets defended for not having basic console features that were typical in 2006.
Agree with you OP, the Switch is a real half assed attempt from Nintendo this gen, the hardware is shit tier quality and the games for me are the same trickle as previous generations so I don't see it as anything different because I only buy 1st party games (i've so far only bought 5 games since it launched). I don't think the system offers the same value as almost any other device I've paid good money for and there's a good chance this might be the last time I buy a Nintendo device.
100%. Would love nintendo to go 3rd party so i don't have to buy their shit hardware anymore. The joycons are also awful.