• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
No article this time. This is an opinion thread straight from yours truly.

The Switch has been out for well over 2 years now, and as the newest console from the big three manufacturers, it's missing some shockingly basic ass things that you would expect for a console released in 2017.

• Just about all social features tied to a smartphone application. You can't even send a simple text message to a friend at the system level
  • System level voice chat. See above.
  • No real Virtual Console. Retro games (and Nintendo has a gigantic library of them) have been a staple for Nintendo platforms ever since the damn Wii came out 13 years ago, and the Switch doesn't even come close to offering what that thing offered in 2006. The Wii U and 3DS, systems that the Switch is meant to replace, both have a robust VC library. So what gives?
  • Folders.
  • Cloud saves locked behind a sub. In fairness Sony also does this. Doesn't make it any less shitty however.
  • Achievements. I know some of you don't care for them but I don't really care to have that conversation. The point is that some of us do care, and if you're one of the folks who don't, great, you can easily ignore them. No reason not to have them.
  • Netflix.
  • A browser. The thing is a glorified tablet ffs.
  • The playtime tracker is awful compared to the 3DS, which, again, is a system that the Switch replaces.
  • No support for Bluetooth audio, which a big misstep for a console that is marketed to take with you anywhere and everywhere.
  • The eShop is a minimalist mess that sucks for discoverability.
  • Twitch or any kind of streaming support. It's 2019. Streaming is in.
  • I was promised Switch rooftop parties. Talk about false advertising breh
These are just off the top of my head but I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting. I was willing to give the Switch a pass for the first year because I understand there's some growing pains involved when you release a new console, but now that we're past the two year mark and with a revision along the way, I'm starting to run out of patience. What's the deal Nintendo?

Last edited:

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I share your disappointment, I'm not sure what you mean by "running out of patience" here. What's gonna happen when your patience runs out?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
  • Cloud saves locked behind a sub. In fairness Sony also does this. Doesn't make it any less shitty however.

You can backup your saves locally on PS4, on Switch the only way is paying (and some games are incompatible, like Splatoon 2, Pokemon and Animal Crossing).

That and achievements is what bothers me the most, I can live with the rest.

Oct 25, 2017
All I want from Nintendo is to be better when it comes to online play and also with their really bad "NES service", they should just give us ever NES/SNES game ever already not 2 damn NES games a month.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
  • No real Virtual Console. Retro games (and Nintendo has a gigantic library of them) has been a staple for Nintendo platforms ever since the damn Wii came out 13 years ago, and the Switch doesn't even come close to offering what that thing offered in 2006. The Wii U and 3DS, systems that the Switch is meant to replace, both have a robust VC library. So what gives?
  • Achievements. I know some of you don't care for them but I don't really care to have that conversation. The point is that some of us do care, and if you're one of the folks who don't, great, you can easily ignore them. No reason not to have them.
  • Netflix.
  • A browser. The thing is a glorified tablet ffs.

You are right about a lot of this, but Nintendo isn't doing a Virtual Console. You can buy bundles of old games like the SNK collection or Sega Genesis thing. That's how that works on the Switch, and I think I prefer it.
This is not the system to get if you want achievements.
People have 10 million ways to watch Netflix.
Same with the browser. It's just not the focus of the device.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Nintendo online it's so bad that people just nod and accept it.

I mean, i can't even message someone on my friends list on my Switch.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It plays games and works well. That's all I need really. To be fair, I'd expect some more apps like Netflix and a basic browser on there, but do people really need a Switch for that?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
If we go by what many on this forum have said on other topics.

Features dont sell anything, so why would they bother?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not being to message your friends is the only one that really stands out to me as being unacceptable

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know I could play Civ 6 on a plane with a modern console.

Just kidding , mostly agree
I want blue tooth headset support and a messaging service for my friendlist

Not much more . 3 second boot times from sleep to playing a game is far too good to give up for console feature bloat

OP
OP
Neat

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
While I share your disappointment, I'm not sure what you mean by "running out of patience" here. What's gonna happen when your patience runs out?
I dunno man, we'll march on Nintendo's HQ or some shit.

giphy.gif

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you should expect VC this generation. There must be a reason as to why it has slowly gone downhill since the Wii days (Even in the Wii days it was far from perfect) that Nintendo feels that it's no longer the best way to distribute old games. If i had to guess, many people just bought a few classic games and ignored the rest, making the service not worthwhile for Nintendo.

I think Classic Mini consoles are going to be the way they sell old games in the future. It's only a matter of time before they do a N64 Classic Mini.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Be patient for nintendo, they take time with this stuff...as in an entire console gen.
The problem is that things often get worse instead of better with time. I mean we had virtual console on a Nintendo device in 2006. We could watch Netflix or browse the Internet on the fucking Wii.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you could have started "that I would expect"? I'll give you Bluetooth audio, but *I* don't care for anything else there.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what's the deal with Netflix considering the Switch has a Hulu, NicoNico, and Youtube app.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Only thing on your list that I would really like is Folders.

No real Virtual Console. Retro games (and Nintendo has a gigantic library of them) has been a staple for Nintendo platforms ever since the damn Wii came out 13 years ago, and the Switch doesn't even come close to offering what that thing offered in 2006. The Wii U and 3DS, systems that the Switch is meant to replace, both have a robust VC library. So what gives?

There's a TON of retro games on the Switch, there's just no specific Virtual Console and most of the retro games are NOT Nintendo-based. There's a gazillion NeoGeo games, there's Sega Ages, there are a bunch of bundled collections of retro games like the Castlevania Collection, the Sega Genesis Collection, and the SNK Collection. We even got a brand "new" Secret of Mana 2 in English just recently. It's just there's no easy way to buy a bunch of NES/SNES games like on the Wii. And I imagine the NES & SNES Classic are to blame there - more profitable to put stuff like that (or hold it behind Nintendo Online subscriptions) than to sell them individually.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
It's been so long without basic features (I'm not even including stuff like browser or other apps/services or heck, even themes) that I've lost any hope that any additions will come anytime soon.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Careful OP, you mentioned achievements. Now you'll get hordes of people telling you how they don't care and how Nintendo shouldn't implement them.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
b-but my snappy ui!!11
You jest, but I'm still very thankful for the minimalist, fast-as-shit UI. The only thing I consistently miss and need is a messaging and party system. Everything else I can live without or sacrifice for portability and power efficiency's sake. I'd love to see all of the above, obviously, but I've never felt too strongly about it. I love the Switch home UX.
Not much more . 3 second boot times from sleep to playing a game is far too good to give up for console feature bloat
This.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I'll agree about the time tracker and Bluetooth but can't go with you on the rest. The switch was designed to be minimilistic and friction free. Its the complete opposite od the wii u and has been widely successful. That tells Nintendo they are on the right track and to stick with it, not go in the opposite direction.

Perd Hapley

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really disagree with any of this tbh. The way Nintendo is withholding their legacy content is particularly disappointing. Every generation since the Wii has been a distinct step down on that front.

Despite all this, the Switch is by far my favorite modern console in terms of UI and ease of use. The speed at which you can jump into a game or switch to a new one is unrivaled, and unlike my PS4 the system always stays quiet and cool. Doesn't make up for the rest though.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again - for games, yes, Nintendo has done a tremendous job so far this gen. With almost everything else you would expect for a console ecosystem, they've completely failed. Outside of games, there is zero evolution and growth for Nintendo in the console space. System features, online network performance, online network features, virtual console, etc, have all been complete failures.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I mostly agree, except for the the VC and trophies.

Trophies don't add functionality, they don't add worth to game.
They are pointless popups only a few people care about.

VC: I'd love SNES/N64 etc. to be on Switch, but I do think the indie games that are incredibly popular and add many games to the platform would sell far less if Nintendo offered instant access to their catalogue of legacy games.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'll agree about the time tracker and Bluetooth but can't go with you on the rest. The switch was designed to be minimilistic and friction free. Its the complete opposite od the wii u and has been widely successful. That tells Nintendo they are on the right track and to stick with it, not go in the opposite direction.
Even modern consoles take too.long to get people into a game. I have zero interest in the bloat being suggested outside of friend messaging and blue tooth headset

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How long did it take PS4 to get suspend and resume? That's a way more critical feature than "no virtual console" which isn't even a feature to begin with.

Honestly, I don't care as long as it plays games well, which it does. The rest aren't exactly deal breakers.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Actually believing the options listed is the reason for the Wii U failing and the Switch succeeding.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Most of things are nice but not essential - people buy the system for games.
They have the News Channel to discover games and sales - pretty obvious.