• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of it?

• I loved it

Votes: 149 34.7%
  • I liked it

Votes: 97 22.6%
  • Meh

Votes: 30 7.0%
  • Disliked it

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • I hated it

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Haven't played

Votes: 134 31.2%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
After the release of Crash Bandicoot: N'Sane Trilogy it was still unclear what was going to happen to the franchise. The spectacular 10m+ sales meant they were obviously going to do something eventually, and while a Crash Team Racing remake seemed like a far-fetched possibility, in 2018's edition of The Game Awards it finally happened:

However, to call Nitro Fueled "a CTR remake" would be doing a huge disservice to just how much Beenox added into this game, it legitimately is insane:

• The original CTR had 18 tracks, Nitro Fueled has 40.
  • The original CTR had 16 playable characters, Nitro Fueled has 56
  • You now have 40 karts to choose from (PS1 didn't have any)
  • You now have 321 skins across all characters to choose from (PS1 didn't have any)
  • Online play, leaderboards and a new game mode was added
It's easily one of the best remakes of all time, to the point where I wouldn't blame you if you considered it a new game with retro tracks rather than a CTR remake. The 8 months the Grand Prixes lasted through were very fun with constant speculation of which obscure character they'd add next, what features they were working on and where they would take us next, all of it for free, by the way.

My only gripe with the game ended up being that they didn't put my boy Willie Wumpa Cheeks in and that they never released the game on PC so it's stuck at 30FPS. But well, with how much content there is and how great the game is regardless, I can't really complain. Did you like the Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled?

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Best kart racer of all time, it is known. Also the post-launch support was better than I could ever have dreamed of.

Remember when we didn't even know it had Nitro Kart content in it?

edit: the more I think about it the more convinced I am that Nitro Fueled is the best Crash game ever made. Hopefully Crash 4 can continue to make the franchise proud.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
I tried to get into crash bandicoot and bought the trilogy and then traded it in I got stuck half say through the 1st game it's to hard :(

the level with the bridge over and over I hate it

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't overly keen on it, and I was a huge fan of CTR back in the day. I guess I've only played a couple of hours but I found the difficulty insurmountable I would have preferred they dialled back on the pretties a little and make it 60fps instead.

I guess if nothing else it made me realise how damn good MK8 is. I do need to go back and play a bit more but on first impressions it didn't jive with my memories of the original.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I tried to get into crash bandicoot and bought the trilogy and then traded it in I got stuck half say through the 1st game it's to hard :(

The games get progressively easier as you go on. If it's too hard just skip to 2 or 3.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Platnkumed it.

a pretty much perfect recreation of the goatkart racer.

feel bad for people that could t get past the pretty huge skill gap though

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I really loved the game until microtransactions were introduced. Felt uncomfortable to keep supporting the game afterwards (I feel the manipulative tactics hit me bit too easily..)

I might get back to the game to test out the later added tracks though!

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This was a dream come true. They really hit on everything I'd ever wanted in a CTR return, and then a whole bunch more I never knew I wanted.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting on the damn pc version. Own it on switch and the game is such a blast, the loading times really bad though.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loved it. It's my favorite Crash game to date with 700 hours clocked. The controls are tight and the roster is Smash Bros levels of fan service.

I just wish they fixed the online and load times. A PS5 port could potentially do this, but I don't trust Activision to make it happen.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was okay...I'm too used to Mario Kart and couldn't really get into it

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Absolutely loved it! easily my favorite racing game this generation put about almost three hundred hours in the Switch version playing online (even though i suck and rarely win)

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite kart racer of all time, honestly. Wish I didn't fall out of playing it so hard before the last couple of GPs though, lolol.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it, became my favorite racer ever. Hope it could run at higher framerate on next gen consoles.

Nov 8, 2017
Expected to buy this day 1, ended up getting it as a gift around the holidays, and still haven't played it. Backlog problems.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I liked it, didn't love it. It's not 60fps which is fine, I do hope the sequel is however or it gets a next gen patch when it eventually releases on PC.

I didn't love it because of the wumpa coin bullshit. I accept that it's a live service game and appreciate the free maps but it really is aggressive with the amount of skins and etc. Doesn't feel like an authentic CTR experience anymore.

That being said it's the best example of live service that isn't invasive at least. So good on Activision?

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely loved it. They made the my favorite kart racer of all time even better. The tracks, engine switch, custimization...so much love was poured into this.

If they port it to PC for that sweet 60+fps they would cement it as the best kart racer for all eternity.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Best arcade racer this gen with excellent customization after all the patches.

I didn't really love the game until after Adventure mode (eessh it's really bad) when I started playing Crash Nitro Kart tracks. Holy shit those are a ton more fun than CTR tracks. Brand new tracks were fun, but nothing memorable to me.

Still wishing for 60 fps.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Best controlling karts in a kart racer ever and great sense of speed makes it hard to go back to other kart racers.

The framerate, long loading times, and balance with the items/blue fire are my main problems with it. (a next gen port would hopefully fix 2 of those things)

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it, not my favorite kart racer but pretty good.

Too bad that even hard is still too easy and there is no rubberbanding.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

I'm playing the game currently. There are two bridge levels. The second one finally made me try the trick I heard about years ago: jump on the ropes and bypass all the crap.

Last edited:

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Great game. Haven't played it in a while, but I'll definitely return to it some day.

I hope it gets a 60fps update on XSX and PS5.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing. Never played the original so I kind of blindly bought it when the remake came out. The drifting has a high learning curve and I'm not very good at it still, but it's fun. I love the vibrant and diverse amount of maps and characters.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I got this a couple months ago on X1 and only played it a couple times, the load times just killed it for me. It takes forever to get in to anything, the drifting is too difficult and loose. Impressive roster and customization options, and the game looks great, it just doesn't play that great for me. And the load times. Good lord.

I went back to MK8D a little bit after playing it and it's such a much better game. Plus I've already finished a race by the time CTR gets me past loading the main menu.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
CTR was my childhood Mario 64, and it's in my top 10 of all time, so it's with great regret that I haven't been able to play it, as I'm waiting on a PC version since I don't own a PS4. I'm thrilled about all the tracks and characters from across the series that's in there, so I'm incredibly excited but if it isn't being announced next week I might succumb and just buy it for my nieces and play it with them. I'm glad so many people have gotten a lot of joy out of this remaster!

The people who says the drifting has a high learning curve, is this because they adjusted it from the original, or is it still the same as the original? Because I never found it hard, but maybe they changed it.

Too bad that even hard is still too easy and there is no rubberbanding.
Why is no rubberbanding bad? Does it make the game too easy where they won't catch up to you after you hit them with some weapon?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019
I was pretty bummed with the difficulty on launch for CTR. I felt the original was easier. The original was one of the first games I got into, and when the remaster came out I was looking for a fun easy nostalgia trip. So, I got frustrated I kept losing. In addition, the easy difficulty was too easy to be enjoyable.

I also don't like the coin balance for the store. I would have preferred to buy dlc's like Mario Kart 8 than the microtransactions and battle pass system they went with. All of the fan service for all the games is awesome though.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely love it, and it's probably my second favourite in the series now behind Crash 2.

I need to get back to it though, I've not played since the last, probably final but hopefully not major patch, especially now that I've got Plus again.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I loved it, but my friends did not. Way too high of a learning curve for them, and the high skill ceiling meant they were being decimated online, having no fun at all, unfortunately.

Still, it's one of my favorite kart racers ever made, just behind Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Amazing game! The post-launch support was incredible, and kept me coming back long after I got most of the trophies, which is rare for me.

EDIT: I should add that with more practice, my friends would have loved it, but they prefer games you can jump into and have fun quickly.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really like this and the switch port still looks really good! Only the load times are a bit annoying.
But the post launch content was really good, only the later added "micro transaction" kind of sucked.

Nov 7, 2019
My wife and I got married 1 year ago exactly tomorrow. We went to Florida for our honeymoon but rather than spend most of our time on the beach my wife wanted to play CTR Nitro Fueled in our condo.

The original was already special to me because of memories with my brothers when I was little, but Nitro Fueled's release just made it even more so.

Best honeymoon ever.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
It's great, I just wish it had 60fps and didn't have N.sane loading times. Seriously the amount of time it takes to get into another online race makes me just not want to play it. Hopefully next gen

Deleted member 69222

User requested account closure
Banned
May 14, 2020
I'm happy they included characters from Nitro Kart and Tag Team Racing.
I loved all the three Crash racers.

Oct 28, 2017
It was excellent. My only problem with it is what they did with the in game store, grand prix and all that shit. But then they did offer a lot of free content post launch so I suppose I should look past that. But nevertheless it rubbed me the wrong way.

Having to be online in order to earn coins was such horseshit, as was the fact single player modes earned so few coins. You had to play online to earn anything and it sucked.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sliiiide

Boost, boost boost

Sliiiiide

Boost boost boost

Sliiiiide

Boost boost boost

Goddamn this game is amazing. Favorite kart racer ever. Still need to finish the developer time trials before I can call myself a master though.