• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Holy crap, I had no idea that Takuma(Mr Karate) was Ryo's dad, and Yuri was Ryo's sister! There should be a KOF game that is only lore and no fighting.

That's all made very obvious within KOF. It's pretty hard to miss, even, unless you just never picked them ever.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks! I managed a hard thing! I have been playing KOF since 95 came to Sega Saturn! Ryo's one of my favourites! I suck! 😂

A lot of that lore within KOF is contained within the specific team endings as well as intro/win quotes and so on, so if you skip all those things you may well never see them.

Here's some quick lore for ya:

A younger version of Geese Howard appeared as a secret boss in Art of Fighting 2, directly linking the plots of Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury. Ryo beats him, of course, and Geese usually mentions him alongside Terry as the only people who've ever bested him.

in AOF, "Mr. Karate" is the persona Takuma adopts when he's blackmailed into working for the villain, and then when you beat him you find out it's Takuma, but in KOF they mostly play it for laughs, with Takuma occasionally fighting as Mr. Karate but insisting they're not the same person. There are also a few SNK games where Mr. Karate is actually Ryo.

Mr. Big is the boss of AOF1 and the regular boss of AOF2, and he shows up in KOF occasionally. He's pretty much just a mobster who gets muscled out by Geese and isn't really that interesting.

King, the bartender lady who's usually on the ladies' team in KOF, is also from AOF, and Takuma's constantly trying to push her and Ryo together, even though they don't always seem that into it.

Robert Garcia is the son of a wealthy Italian businessman and Ryo's best pal, and the third AOF game focuses on him rather than Ryo. He uses his money to bail out the dojo quite often, and he and Yuri are romantically involved, which Takuma doesn't seem to like.

Yuri was kidnapped as part of the plot of AOF, became playable in AOF2 and was non-playable again in AOF3, and the other characters tend to be overprotective of her. One of the running gags with Yuri is that SNK liked to give her better/sillier versions of Street Fighter characters' moves, so depending on the game she might have Akuma's raging demon or Ken's shoryu reppa or what have you.

Khushnood Butt, the dark-skinned guy with the pompadour from Garou: Mark of the Wolves, is the successor to the Kyokugen style of karate practiced by Takuma and Ryo. He's referenced a lot in endings, quotes, etc but still hasn't made it to the roster of a KOF game yet, probably because he plays so similarly to Ryo and Takuma, but he's pretty cool and deserves to come back.

Last edited: