• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
I'm prepared to be proven wrong lol cause I don't have every console. But my point still stands cause it's in the thread title and is now fact cause it's been posted on the internet. And of course I'm assuming consoles have the innate ability to copy other consoles rather than software developers making them so cause this is the future, why wouldn't I?

I know there are some great frontends on PC for emulators and such but consoles are still opting for the lifeless game icons, with background music if we're lucky, but PSP came out what feels like a lifetime ago and I suppose for some of the younger people here it really is a lifetime ago. It was released in 2005 and still remains my favourite way to browse through my library in any console and at a very basic level it really accentuated the depth and breadth of the PSP library. Granted, not all games had video previews and music but there were so many that did and it was great hearing and seeing God of War one second then Ys Oath in Felghana the next, Midnight Club LA, Ace Combat and so on.

Wow I really couldn't find any video better than this to showcase it but I'm sure most of you are familiar with it already.

Anyone else miss the PSP interface? Which console do you prefer and why in the hell?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If PC gamers had a competent all game UI rather than a patchwork of multiple ideas that all lack something significant, at least that corner of the market would be covered because the users could just attach their own video previews.

I do agree, the lack of an animated splash screen on certain games on PS3 and PS4 was a bummer. And the 360 didn't have anything at all.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some PS3 games have a specific background when viewing the game's icon, as well as accompanying music and a preview video on the icon. Other games might have just the music, or just the background, or nothing at all.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
loved the PSP UI, really well-designed and to the point.

Yeah, I'm in the less is more camp, and this was really on it.

PSP felt like such a special machine back then, real aura about it. Even if it really struggled with 3D camera games and it initially had absolutely 0 titles that I really wanted (nice jRPGs), still have fond memories of it.

Vita had such a bloaty feel, even though the hardware had that premium feel about it. Have to say, standard Switch doesn't hit the heights of the "feel" of these two, although the Lite is a great unit.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well ok then, I stand erected.

200w.gif

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Found an example on PS3.

I remember it being far less common than it was on PSP though so I don't blame you. PS4 and PS5 also retain the custom music and are far more consistent about it.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Found an example on PS3.

I remember it being far less common than it was on PSP though so I don't blame you. PS4 and PS5 also retain the custom music and are far more consistent about it.

Yes I think it was far less common even though it's pretty much the same UI. I even checked a few YouTube videos to see some examples of it on the PS3 before posting this thread but couldn't find any.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like it. A video preview is fine but all of a sudden having very short snippets of loud music playing made the browsing experience painful. Sure, developers can make it classy and work but did they?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So. Many. Late nights scrambling to turn the volume down in a panic

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I didn't like it. A video preview is fine but all of a sudden having very short snippets of loud music playing made the browsing experience painful. Sure, developers can make it classy and work but did they?
Volume seems reduced on the PS5 implementation of this. I wonder if Sony has a patent on the idea or if Nintendo and Microsoft simply don't want to do it.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
When you're clicking through your PS3 games and you land on Dead Space Ignition.
Now the whole house is awake.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I didn't like it either, many games were obnoxiously loud. I prefer the 3DS, where it's limited to a short audio clip and each game has a unique 3D icon.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Some were too loud but it was a wonderful feature. PS3 is really an amazing machine looking back now.

Oct 26, 2017
I like this on PS3 but there was no consistent volume between the games, so sometimes you'd scroll down and just get quickly blasted. It's kinda been half arsed on the ps4 and ps5 by comparison. on the new console only a couple of games change music

Sep 29, 2020
Because some (like Double Dragon Neon) were truly horrible.
I did like the Team Ico and From ones though.

Edit:
I like this on PS3 but there was no consistent volume between the games, so sometimes you'd scroll down and just get quickly blasted. It's kinda been half arsed on the ps4 and ps5 by comparison. on the new console only a couple of games change music

This user knows what's up