• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eight months later, where do you land on Game of Thrones' finale and ending?

• I hated it at first, but I've come to like it now

Votes: 5 0.3%
  • I liked it at first, but I've come to hate it now

Votes: 48 3.3%
  • I liked it then, and I like it now

Votes: 150 10.4%
  • I hated it then, and I hate it now

Votes: 361 24.9%
  • It was so bad I stopped thinking about the show entirely

Votes: 883 61.0%

• Total voters

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
It's still a great show with a very sloppy last season. I wouldn't say I hated it as I saw what they were going for but it was so incredibly rushed that I didn't enjoy it either.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Baby Yoda is awesome. What was this topic about again?

It was so bad that I haven't gone back to watch a single episode. What a disaster.

I saw the box set the other day and paused a moment to realize this would have made me happy a couple years ago.

The show is over. I liked it but it's over now and the drama makes me not want to revisit it.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I just realized, "people were mad they didn't get the happy ending they wanted" is going to be to GoT what

"you just didn't understand the ending, they weren't dead the whole time"

Was to Lost. A nonsensical refusal to acknowledge the valid criticisms of the ending of the show that will annoy me whenever it's mindlessly parroted for years to come.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I made a thread a few months ago here asking if I should finish watching it. (Made it to season 2)

Update on that thread....I never went back to watch it, I don't think I ever will.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
The ending is where Dany is sailing to Westeros with her army, and Cersei has destroyed her rivals at the Sept, right? Shame the show didn't keep going, lots of potential with the two main story threads.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Poll misses an "it was ok" option. It was way too abrupt and rushed but it had some great episodes as well. The potential of the show was squandered but I don't think it was a total trash fire. But fan outrage about these things never really cools down. So the conversation about the show is a dead horse.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised how many people who think the show ended terribly still liked Season 6. That was really the beginning of the end. It proved the showrunners had no idea how to resolve any conflict. Yeah, it's hard to write a way for the Tyrells/Lannister feud to end, but blowing everyone up in a church and then no one caring doesn't make a lick of sense. Tyrion partnering with the slavers and then being promoted to Hand doesn't make sense. Jon being named King in the North even though he's either an undead zombie or Night's Watch deserter and almost lost the Battle of the Bastards with his own stupidity doesn't make any sense. S6 was a complete mess and really showcased D&Ds weaknesses.
Really ? I think you're too kind. Season 5 is where it all goes to shit. Arya in Braavos, Jaime and Bronn at Dorne, Stannis character further detroyed, etcetera...

A great show ended with Tywin's death, and managed to reach shittiest lows until the end. Most impressive.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I don't have an issue with the big story beats, but it was obviously racing to the end, especially in regards to Dany's characterization.

At the very least, Cleganebowl was satisfying.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
the ending of GoT was really bad, but HIMYM still has the worst TV show ending in recent times , now that was an ending that ruined a show.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never watched the last season because the second to last was already so bad. So I had my resolution a long time ago and I really don't care anymore.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I re-read the series after it ended and loved it more than ever, got into some of the prequel/expanded universe stuff after I finished more excited for WoW than ever.

Last few seasons of the show were definitely not up to par, but the fan bases reaction to the show was way more embarrassing. I don't bother taking part in the conversation anymore, I'm sure I'll rewatch the show some day.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed most the series. Lost its ground towards the end. Too many personality changes and rushed scenarios.

I get why they did it but the slow burn of the show was the best part IMO.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It somehow managed to top Lost Season 6 as the worst final season of all time. I'll never revisit the show as a result.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't particularly hate the ending (like, it doesn't actively make me mad) but I also think the show had been going downhill since like season 4 or so, so by the end I just wasn't invested enough anymore to care that much about it.

Tony Montana

Oct 27, 2017
The ending was awful but I still go back to watch clips from the early seasons to remind myself of how good the show used to be.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
It saved me the money of buying the whole series on disc, because I'm never going to watch it again. Probably the only good thing about it.

Still excited for Winds of Winter though :(

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
The ending made me never want to watch the show again, despite the quality of the early seasons. Knowing how it ended just sours any desire to revisit the highs.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Used to go back and watch favorite and forgotten scenes during downtime between seasons. Thinking on it now I haven't done that at all since the series concluded, with no real desire to. Maybe it'll return in time. Years of investment and interest turning into a shrug is a damn shame for a production that deserved better.

Solary

Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Final season killed any enthusiasm I had for the show, which is a shame as loved the first few seasons. It's one of them shows every few years I would binge rewatch seasons but now knowing how it ends have no desire to to so.

Oct 27, 2017
I asked my sister what she thought of the end of Game of Thrones. She doesn't read fantasy novels, she started the series kind of late, and is not the type of person to discuss these things on an internet forum. Her response? "It was shite."

Anyone who says the negative reaction to season 8 was just angry nerds or just an internet thing is the one living in a bubble. You have to really perform some Olympic level mental gymnastics to convince yourself that that was a good ending.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
I didn't really care back then, I don't really care now. It was a great show, at least the first few seasons, with truly incredible TV moments like The Red Wedding, but it jumped the shark shortly after. I don't hate the ending, it's just... meh.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
It sucked then, sucks now, and will suck forever.

Still can't believe how it finished...even though the show has become an afterthought to me now.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
It was fine then, its fine now.

The shitshow the internet made of it is not my speed though. I've read far too many books and watched far to much serialized TV shows to engage in that level of fuckery just because of an ending I wasn't completely fond of. It's not the end of the world. Not even close. The over the top hatred, reactions and venom towards the writers remains proof that we are in the absolute worst timeline.

I worry about the trending of online discourse surrounding serialized TV though. Its been getting pretty bad since LOST. You used to be able to dislike a shows ending (BSG had a lot of people that disliked it) but you could be sure people would move on eventually. But LOST and now GoT seems to have this different feel where people really want to linger and harp on their hatred of it long term for some reason. Im hoping that proves wrong in the next year, but it doesn't look good.

I try to imagine The Sopranos infamous 'cut to black'; or the entire final season of Babylon 5 (sans sleeping in light) in this fucking era and I just laugh really. It would be a shitshow.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not one of the people who got very vocal and angry about the last season, but it was bad and rushed and removed all possibility that I will rewatch the show. I enjoyed most of the series as it aired and that's enough for me.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
ppl say worst star war is episode 8
worst got season is 8
worst mcu film is thor dark world and it is 8th movie

makes u think

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I hated it then, and I hate it now. S05 and 06 were a mess with more good than bad. 6/10
S07 can already fuck off and I stopped expecting anything due to that one. 4/10
S08 has maybe 10 good minutes in its 6-hour runtime. 3/10

Book 6 - 202X, Book 7, Fire and Blood 2 (stop adapting half-finished things HBO!), more D&E, an ending to the TT game - never.
BonyIdealImpala-small.gif

We did not win, nobody won.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i liked the show but don't care about it anymore. it's done. not really interested in the new shows they are making.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
I liked the end, it gave me many hours of entertainent over the years, but I don't think about it anymore.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
It killed almost any interest I ever had in the GOT universe. Not even the prequel trilogy did that to Star Wars for me. One day I might read the books. Maybe.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I thought the season was ok, but the ending was terrible. I'm not one of this people that laments how a bad ending can retroactively ruin a long form series, but in this instance, the ending of GoT killed my interest in rewatching the series. Well, season 1 is pretty fantastic, so maybe I'll rewatch that, but it feels so pointless now.

I would have been fine with the ending if it actually had room to grow and breathe. Unfortunately, it was clearly rushed, and character development felt unearned and hollow.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I disliked the last season (and still do) but deeply enjoy the show as a whole, and love many of the earlier seasons. The finale hasn't really changed much.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I made a thread a few months ago here asking if I should finish watching it. (Made it to season 2)

Update on that thread....I never went back to watch it, I don't think I ever will.

Purists will tell you everything past season 4 was bad, but I think you'll be totally okay if you watch until s08e02. Just pretend that the White Walkers killed everyone. It's a weird ending, granted, but way less weird than the one they filmed.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
It really made me appreciate the Mass Effect fans that state that ME3 ruined the entire series for them. I never understood that feeling, but now I know what it feels like.