• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eight months later, where do you land on Game of Thrones' finale and ending?

• I hated it at first, but I've come to like it now

Votes: 5 0.3%
  • I liked it at first, but I've come to hate it now

Votes: 48 3.3%
  • I liked it then, and I like it now

Votes: 150 10.4%
  • I hated it then, and I hate it now

Votes: 361 24.9%
  • It was so bad I stopped thinking about the show entirely

Votes: 883 61.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
And some things are actually great or shit. Not everything is in the middle of something else.
But it generally is a possibility (and far more likely than one of the extremes except for seemingly on the internet where there is only one or the other) and the poll does not reflect that option and thus is not a reasonable poll.

Kerwop

Dec 15, 2017

By being bait. The Night's King wouldn't have marched into position for Arya otherwise.

Although it is definitely another big problem I have that all of Bran's training was just so he could act as bait. I think most people would have expected a big warg moment that helps win the battle or some valuable insight from the future/past/elsewhere.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand. The books aren't retroactively bad because the show tanked.

George has so much familiar ground to cover though, I don't see stuff like Hodor's origin or Jon's fate being much different than how the show did it.

But the show failing just made me not care about the books generally, on top fo the fact we know they're never coming.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
It was fine and still is. The show got worse with each season (despite some stellar episodes) so it didn't even catch me by surprise. Actually it was better than what I was afraid of.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I love how Dany and Roose died with a single knife thrust but Arya survived a half dozen stabbings. Consistency and consequences are not D&Ds strengths.

I don't really understand. The books aren't retroactively bad because the show tanked.

The problem is that the TV show left a bad taste in the mouth, and that makes it hard for some to even go back to the source material.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They had an ad for the bluray of the final season on one of those Walmart theft detectors. Me wondering how poorly it would sell relative to previous seasons was basically the only time I've thought of the show since it ended.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that the TV show left a bad taste in the mouth, and that makes it hard for some to even go back to the source material.
This is where I differ. I need the last books. No way the white walkers end the way D&D wrote it. That's the most interesting part of the series for me, I will be there day one... in 2035.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I voted for "hated it then, hate it now" but my feelings were more complicated. I had written the show off after season 7 because there was just no way they could effectively wrap up all of their story lines with the few remaining episodes left. In that two year gap I was actually able to lower my expectations to a point where I just went along for the ride in season 8. I was more bemused than angry as season 8 fell apart. The spectacle was amazing, and The Bells is a masterclass in direction and cinematography, but as everything else fell apart I was able to view it from a disassociated position since I had already accepted the outcome. Today I still don't view the ending with any anger, but I do hate it. I find examining how GOT got to where it went, the decision making process, and the complete bungling on all levels, to be very interesting. That will probably be GOT's legacy, a warning to others that come after about how to lose control of the golden goose.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By being bait. The Night's King wouldn't have marched into position for Arya otherwise.

Although it is definitely another big problem I have that all of Bran's training was just so he could act as bait. I think most people would have expected a big warg moment that helps win the battle or some valuable insight from the future/past/elsewhere.

I can't believe we never even learned the extent of Bran's powers. Super weird. D&D being utterly terrified of non-dragon fantasy elements really hurt the show.

George has so much familiar ground to cover though, I don't see stuff like Hodor's origin or Jon's fate being much different than how the show did it.

But the show failing just made me not care about the books generally, on top fo the fact we know they're never coming.

I could see that knowing Jon is coming back or the origin of Hodor's name could lessen the impact. But the manner in which these things happen will be very different. Melisandre won't bring Jon back by washing his body and giving him a haircut. Further, there are strong theories that dying and coming back will change Jon in some way (like how Beric is so different from who he was). Martin thinks magic should have a cost so we won't just see the same old Jon when he returns.

And there's no "door" under the weirwood tree where Bran and Hodor are now so that should be different, even if it's similar.

I guess I'm more curious about the execution than the raw plot developments. Dany destroying King's Landing will have emotional weight because of the decisions behind it rather than the "that was weird' response we had in the show's version.

Also, remember when Tyrion paraphrased the "First they came..." poem to say they should have realized Dany killing slavers was bad? God the show is dumb. "We should have known she'd kill innocents after she saved innocents by killing slavers!"

The butchering of Tyrion over the last four seasons is inexcusable.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Someone should do a mashup of dialogue from earlier seasons vs dialogue from post book seasons. Tyrion's descent into stupidity would be fun to watch.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
It was all downhill when Arya was ending her Braavos arc. So I was mostly watching for spectacle at that point and it delivered, for the most part. I'm still excited as hell for the books.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Still shit. Hasn't soured my opinion on the rest of the series like I know it has for others, those early seasons are still some of the most engaging TV I've seen when it was all about political backstabbing and stuff like that. Fond memories and I really want to go back and watch them again. But the ending is still shit no matter how much time passes, I'd probably stop rewatches before getting to the final season at all.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I started watching the show at Season 8 and I thought it was pretty bad. A lot of random images and melodrama. Characters appeared out of nowhere with no explanation and I had no clue who they were.

How did they all travel across this presumably huge country so quickly, while in the same breath proclaiming how little time they had left to stop <the threat>? Really bad show.

Ixzion

Nov 7, 2017
I never think about it. But when I do think about a cool moment, it's tainted severely by the ending.

Like the ending of Hardhome, which for years I considered the best GOT moment for expressing how fucked the Seven Kingdoms was, in retrospect turns out to be absolutely nothing to be worried about.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
It is so bad that even though a vast majority is saying things like "It is just the worst" and "It ruined the whole show", I still think people are being too kind.

Outside of the general craftsmanship(sfx, sets, etc.) and some of the acting, it is truly wretched, a horribly conceived and written checklist masquerading as a story.

The fact that that this version of Euron exists and continued to exist without any attempts to change his dire characterization is insane and telling. The ridiculously abrupt Dany "turn", its treatment of most of its female characters in general, the show throwing its hands up in defeat when it comes to the White Walkers, the ending itself being so completely removed from the reality of the show that preceded it(you know all the good stuff like Bran the Broken being best king material even though he is actually the opposite, the Iron Islands being silent when Sansa claims the North is going independent, etc.).

The ending was clearly decided well in advance but the showrunners never bothered to build to it and, what do you know, the whole thing collapses into nothing.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
It kinda ruined the earliers seasons too. I lost all interest for a rewatch.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I still hate it with every fiber of my being in a way that retroactively made me hate the entire show.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
It was masterful the way they took a once in a generation phenomenon and blew its brains out.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
Seasons 1-4 were very special to me. But it's dead and gone and I prefer to not remember it. Sopranos rewatch coming up.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
The show faltered long before the final season but the Night King's death just broke it for me. I had some hope until then that there would be a satisfying resolution but that moment let me just enjoy the crash and the great memes (probably the best part of season 8) flushed the show out of my system. I'm honestly grateful for that. I never got that catharsis with Battlestar Galactica and I still feel disappointed whenever I think about that show.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If the books come out, it will be fascinating to see if the big story points that D&D had will come off better in context.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mostly uh, oh yeah that thing. I can't get excited for anything Game of Thrones and wouldn't watch them again or a look back at best moments. It's over.

If the new series gets talked about as the best thing ever after a season, well I would give it a look, not a mad man.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it damaged the brand at least on the TV side. Time will tell though.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
The show faltered long before the final season but the Night King's death just broke it for me. I had some hope until then that there would be a satisfying resolution but that moment let me just enjoy the crash and the great memes (probably the best part of season 8) flushed the show out of my system. I'm honestly grateful for that. I never got that catharsis with Battlestar Galactica and I still feel disappointed whenever I think about that show.
Yeah on some level it does feel like season 8s value is as a meme generator.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It evaporated from the pop culture landscape.

It remarkably had the same fate as Lost. The people who watched it as spectacle in the end were better off than the folks who watched it for a proper narrative.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hated the ending, but I love what the ending implies about GRRM's actual planned ending, because if the pieces missing from the book (largely fAegon) are added In you get something amazing instead of the mess we had.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Because the show was so serialized, It retroactively made the previous seasons worse. It's a rare feat.

What made it hurt more than it should, was just the knowledge that the legitimate book ending was at best still a decade away and felt unreachable. So to see a monumental piece of entertainment slowly shit the bed after an amazing 4 years of groundwork, then be treated to a rush and incredibly cluncky last season that actively shit on its own characters development was even more painful. Again, because any good conclusion was decade away

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hated the ending, but I love what the ending implies about GRRM's actual planned ending, because if the pieces missing from the book (largely fAegon) are added In you get something amazing instead of the mess we had.

Definitely. It's incredible looking at the Bran chapters (especially from Clash) to see all the groundwork GRRM laid out for King Bran. I also haven't heard anyone say fAegon is just a distraction and shouldn't have been included since Season 8 ended...

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I stopped taking the show seriously after episode 2 of the final season, where I just laughed at the rest, so I got my rage out early in the season and moved on. I've seen worse endings and in the end the overall ride was fine.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
The ending ruined my desire to rewatch it for a while. I'll go back someday, but I'll probably stop at KOTN v2 and consider that the ending.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
I can't bring myself to watch it, recommend it, or care about another installment in the franchise. I had pretty much forgot it even exists.
I overall liked the episode The Bells too, but the setup for Danny going "mad" and the aftermath was so shockingly bad that I have no desire to rewatch anything to do with that show. It had already been getting shitty for some time, but season 8 sealed the deal.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
and I don't think about the show at all anymore but I would still recommend seasons 1-6 to people

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just like "How I met your mother" lol
I'm hoping for another ending at least in book form.

It was fascinating how from the first episode HIMYM was clearly building up to a situation where the mother was deceased and the dad clearly still had feelings for Robin.

It was the only plot point that made since with the setup in the pilot, but over nine seasons the audience clearly wasn't ready to accept that ending. I wonder if it was Cristin Miloti was so charming, or just the inertia of wanting a happy ending despite the signs.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Retroactively killed the show for me. And any interest in the spin offs and books.

I dont even think about it, unless someone brings it up

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
In a way, though, it was liberating. I used to care about whether the last 2 books will ever come out. Now, I have completely lost any interest in the IP. They can do whatever they want with it, or forget about it completely, it doesn't matter to me at all. So, thanks, D&D, I guess?