• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I can't think of a main character that has ever looked or sounded more irritating than the one they unveiled in Scalebound.

As much as I'm inclined to agree, the character always struck me as being straight from the Devil May Cry School of irritatingly RAD characters and I found it odd how this seems to be an inconsistant criticism across the community.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized I never watched that 8-minute gameplay trailer. That looked really bad lmao.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
It could have been good, or it could have been Crackdown 3. Maybe it was best to let it die.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when people just made fun of how bad it looked until it was cancelled and then it was suddenly a high crime by Microsoft.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Game looked like a mess and boring everytime they demoed it. I'm not gonna knock people for being disappointed, but be honest and tell me that game didnt seem like a subpar technical disaster in the making. Could it of possibly been great? sure, but i highly doubt it. You don't axe development of something you've actually shown gameplay for without solid reason.

Vasto

May 26, 2019
Scalebound looked awesome and I would love to see Microsoft shock the world with a Scalebound for Series X announcement at E3.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
It would be great if assets from this project got transferred to a new Drakengard. Since NieR Automata's success and this game's cancelation, I always felt it could be in the cards if Yoko Taro wanted to continue working with PlatinumGames.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Remember everyone going crazy over a rumor that the game was going to become a Switch exclusive.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
The darkest hour as a one-console-owning person at the time who pined for the state of Japanese games on Xbox One to return to being remotely in the same ballpark as the previous two gens. The writing was on the wall well before Scalebound's cancellation, but the official news left me disillusioned with Xbox's Japanese game (especially MS funded) situation and thinning general publishing in early 2017.

But I was for Scalebound - I didn't quite see the issues that other people had with it from the prerelease media. I was quite interested in the exploration video that was out there. Alternate history - I wish Kamiya and team were collaborating with the current Microsoft that doubled down on gaming rather than how it went down in the early Xbox One era (not that I'm privy to if a lack of resources was why the project failed).

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alternate history - I wish Kamiya and team were collaborating with the current Microsoft that doubled down on gaming rather than how it went down in the early Xbox One era (not that I'm privy to if a lack of resources was why the project failed).
Maybe that alternate history could instead be future history and happen on XSX.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay just didn't look good. Though also a weird marketing call to show that pre-alpha gameplay with the abysmal performance. At e32016 it already ran much better

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
It could've been an incredible title but it was obvious that Microsoft was sticking their nose in everything and it had the feel of a Microsoft Studios type of game. I didn't like the UI and the general vibe, but the concept could've been really damn fun. Hopefully one day we'll see some of the assets and mechanics resurface as a new game.

OP
OP
Segafreak

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
It got cancelled because it wasn't going to be good, yet alone great. C'mon now.
Knowing Kamiya, it was gonna be a generation defining game.

The darkest hour as a one-console-owning person at the time who pined for the state of Japanese games on Xbox One to return to being remotely in the same ballpark as the previous two gens. The writing was on the wall well before Scalebound's cancellation, but the official news left me disillusioned with Xbox's Japanese game (especially MS funded) situation and thinning general publishing in early 2017.

But I was for Scalebound - I didn't quite see the issues that other people had with it from the prerelease media. I was quite interested in the exploration video that was out there. Alternate history - I wish Kamiya and team were collaborating with the current Microsoft that doubled down on gaming rather than how it went down in the early Xbox One era (not that I'm privy to if a lack of resources was why the project failed).
Literally the only thing wrong was the crappy fps which are things that get fixed.

People are just afraid of things they don't understand, "crappy main character", "dubstep lulz"

Scalebound was gonna be GOTY in the year it would've come out, it would've been so much different than all these samey open world games out there. Can't believe games like Witcher 3 and AssCreed 456958 get to exist and not Scalebound!

#SaveScalebound!

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This was such a awesome concept , I wish it existed in some form. I was looking forward to this, I still think Microsoft should try again for the series X

Oct 31, 2017
The setting and tone looked like total ass, but...

It's ok because Platinum can use this experience to make a Drakengard game with good gameplay

Feb 12, 2019
It's absolutely the lure of what could've been that makes people bemoan the cancellation of a game that never looked good while it was in development. Why take the real and the tangible when you can instead endlessly speculate about the potential of a game whose development was troubled enough that the publisher axed it after several public showings and millions of dollars in sunk coasts?

To compare it to another Kamiya game, you still have this weird sub-community of Resident Evil fans who are obsessed with the original version of RE2 despite him and everyone else involved saying it wasn't great.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who was holding out hope it would come around, especially since we never saw the gameplay mechanic they showed behind close doors that sounded like it could of been the equivalent of the time manipulation in Viewtiful Joe, this is grass is always greener at this point.

It's been three years, and it sounds like both Kamiya and Kellam were not happy with how the project was progressing before it got cancelled. Just let it go.

Oct 27, 2017
It saddens me that MS cancelled this, yet spent years and fuck knows how much money to get Crackdown 3 out the door, just for it to release like a wet fart and be forgotten five seconds later. Scalebound didn't have top notch graphics exactly, but it looked like an interesting game, something new that could help MS sell their ailing Xbox One.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people were pissed when this happened, I guess they never actually saw the game. It always looked bad, it's just that Kamiya makes good games I suppose

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I love how so many people claim to know this game would've have been bad even though there is no way to know that since the game was in alpha and all of the demos were vertical slices.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Do we really need a yearly thread about a game that not many cared about until after it was cancelled?

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't have even remembered this game if someone here didn't bring it up every week as if it were the burning of the Library of Alexandria

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
It's absolutely the lure of what could've been that makes people bemoan the cancellation of a game that never looked good while it was in development. Why take the real and the tangible when you can instead endlessly speculate about the potential of a game whose development was troubled enough that the publisher axed it after several public showings and millions of dollars in sunk coasts?

To compare it to another Kamiya game, you still have this weird sub-community of Resident Evil fans who are obsessed with the original version of RE2 despite him and everyone else involved saying it wasn't great.

There is nothing worse than what if people - it's the most negative way of looking at things.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I have never ever hated a protagonist design as much as i did with Scalebound.

Oct 25, 2017
I always felt like the ppl that were excited for this game were just quiet because regardless of how much shit ppl would give this game it always ranked highly on the most anticipated lists. The highest Xbox exclusive in fact most of time so it's weird lol. I wish it could've came out. Maybe it'll get reborn in some way

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Maybe that alternate history could instead be future history and happen on XSX.
Yes, I would absolutely love Microsoft and Kamiya/Platinum to collaborate again. As far as Xbox and Japan, I'm more sentimental about Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, but I can't think of a better goodwill gesture by Microsoft to specifically make up for an Xbox One fumble than following through on a well supported Platinum project.