• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I've had my PS5 since launch, and the wifi was perfectly fine prior to the December update. Now when I download games, the system usually drops the connection within 30 minutes to an hour. It doesn't matter if I put the system in rest mode or leave it on. It downloads long enough to where the system will say the game is ready to play, but it's a partial installation. Then not longer after, it completely loses connection to the internet, and the only fix is a restart of the console.

Now luckily PSN download speeds are pretty fast so you're probably good if you're only downloading a single game less than 20-30 gigs and you have a fast connection. However If I have more than one game in the queue or something like Call of Duty, then I have to babysit the console by checking in on it every half hour or so to restart the system. I've been through the factory reset twice and it doesn't help. Also doing the factory reset means I have to download all these games again which leads back to the original issue. As I am typing this, I just lost my wifi connection again. The most recent Feb update did nothing for me.

By the way, I've also had issues the past week with not being able to access my PS4 cloud saves on PS5. The PS5 cloud saves load just fine. Sony support was not helpful. The typical response is, "Let's troubleshoot your internet and check your speeds." It would be great if they could actually listen to the issue instead of running me through a script that won't do anything. I even explained that I have 2 PS5's that have the same issue, so which is more likely, that I got 2 console duds or that something is going wrong on their end? I hope they at least logged the issue in their system with someone more knowledgeable, but I'm not confident that it will be.

Nov 3, 2017
I even explained that I have 2 PS5's that have the same issue, so which is more likely, that I got 2 console duds or that something is going wrong on their end?

the common denominator with those consoles is....your network?

this is the first I've personally heard of this issue, I am sorry it's happening to you but this is genuinely news to me

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I even explained that I have 2 PS5's that have the same issue, so which is more likely, that I got 2 console duds or that something is going wrong on their end?
Or there's something going on with your network. Since it's apparently easy for you to replicate, I'd see if you can connect the PS5 to an entirely different network and see if it still happens. Easier said than done, I know, but it would certainly help you troubleshoot the issue.

If you can't bring the console elsewhere, then you can try wired instead of wireless (or vice versa), connect your internet connection directly into the console (instead of going through a router), or even connect to a phone's hotspot.

The hotspot thing could be a problem unless you have a lot of tethering data.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
The PS5 OS is a hot mess, and I hate being the one to say this but of the problems I have (damn external HDD) with my PS5, this is not one.

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
Is it possible for you to just get a really long Ethernet Cable and just wire in the console? I've had my PS5 for 5 months and haven't had this issue once. I'm sorry this is happening but I'm not sure this is a rampant issue w/PS5s. In fact, if 2 PS5s are having this issue, it is much more likely a Network problem on your end

OP
OP

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Or there's something going on with your network. Since it's apparently easy for you to replicate, I'd see if you can connect the PS5 to an entirely different network and see if it still happens. Easier said than done, I know, but it would certainly help you troubleshoot the issue.

If you can't bring the console elsewhere, then you can try wired instead of wireless (or vice versa), connect your internet connection directly into the console (instead of going through a router) or even connect to a phone's hotspot.

The hotspot thing could be a problem unless you have a lot of tethering data.

No, there's not anything wrong with my network. I have 2 issues going on, wifi disconnects on 1 console in living room. The console in the bedroom wired to the router doesn't disconnect. Besides, as I said, it was in December after the update that I started having issues. The second issue is not being able to access PS4 cloud saves specifically on both consoles, while I can access everything else.

guill

Nov 14, 2017
Hey TitanicFall, the same thing happened to me so I totally get you, that update fucked my ps5 wi fi, it worked perfectly fine before, but now it will connect once it comes up, then it would randomly disconnect in minutes, and then wifi simply stops working. If i restart it or turn it on, starts working again but disconnects at random interval of minutes. Cant game, psn,watch stuff, nothing.

I had to put an extra lan cable in that room and that way it works perfectly fine. Really annoying issue because it worked at launch

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I jave two PS5s.. they work flawlessly with wifi. They've literally been connected since November last year with zero issues.. so,maybe it's your network, or router acting up?

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I had this problem once over wifi.
But it may have been due to utilizing PS5's easy setup and not setting up both PS5 and the router properly.

Using ethernet now makes connection more stable but I have yet to tinker with my router and lock the IP-adresses to each device.

I wish there were some router setup education in school since Internet is so important and the routers settings are a mystery to me

Deleted member 28962

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Own multiple consoles, PCs, and streaming devices, and have 1 problem child that is the PS5.
Could still be a compatibility issue between the NIC in your PS5 and your router. I have connection issues with my Roku TV when using its wifi with my isp router(takes 2-5 minutes to connect) but it will connect in a few seconds with my netgear nighthawk router.

Jun 18, 2020
Same exact issue as you OP, but I think my PS5 has been acting this way since release day.

After about an hour all Wifi on the console completely stops working if I'm downloading something.

Frustrating to see responses that include "why don't you just use an ethernet cable." Yes of course that's an option for some, but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask my PS5 to have functioning Wifi.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't had any problems with mine over wifi. Even in rest mode and queuing downloads from the phone app.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Jesus christ. People still think it's on OP and their network.

OP states that the issue started with the December update when Sony claimed to fix router support in the patch notes and then provided info on others complaining about the issue. It's been talked about all over the web including this very site in the PS5 OT and PS5 Support OT. For some it's happened since release and for others since the December update.

I've had nothing but issues with the PS5's wifi since the December update.

Constant packet loss on games that I never had an issue with before December that still work fine if played on a PS4.
Downloading something will almost always result in the PS5 getting a DNS error or disconnecting itself from the internet over a period of time.

Of the people that I personally know that own a PS5, two of them suffer from the random disconnecting and DNS errors if downloading something.

OP
OP

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Could still be a compatibility issue between the NIC in your PS5 and your router. I have connection issues with my Roku TV when using its wifi with my isp router(takes 2-5 minutes to connect) but it will connect in a few seconds with my netgear nighthawk router.

You might be on to something if it wasn't working from the start, but it was. The PS5 hardware didn't change and my router didn't change. The PS5 system software did.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea there was a widespread issue, my wifi is sometimes spotty, but my PS5 DOES disconnect frequently when everything else is working... and it often won't reconnect unless I reboot the console entirely.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I've actually had the opposite problem I can connect to Wifi but it won't recognize my LAN cable anymore and it was working at one point

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
I literally had this issue an hour ago. I was playing GTAV with my friends and then I randomly disconnected. This is the first time this ever happened to me mind you, so I restarted the system and it happened to me again less than a minute after connecting to voice chat.

So I paused my background download and restarted again and since then I've had no problems *crossing my fingers*

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I had an issue with my PS4 saves once, like a week or two ago. All I did was tell the PS5 to restart and it been fine ever since.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Jesus christ. People still think it's on OP and their network.

OP states that the issue started with the December update when Sony claimed to fix router support in the patch notes and then provided info on others complaining about the issue. It's been talked about all over the web including this very site in the PS5 OT and PS5 Support OT. For some it's happened since release and for others since the December update.

I've had nothing but issues with the PS5's wifi since the December update.

Constant packet loss on games that I never had an issue with before December that still work fine if played on a PS4.
Downloading something will almost always result in the PS5 getting a DNS error or disconnecting itself from the internet over a period of time.

Of the people that I personally know that own a PS5, two of them suffer from the random disconnecting and DNS errors if downloading something.

I use Google DNS with no issues, what DNS server are you using?

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I think that the latest update may have fixed it for me. Couldn't watch any streaming services and my connection would time out/downloads would stop after a few minutes to half n hour. Since the last update I've been able to watch stuff and connect to game servers. It's not been perfect but seems to be getting better. I havn't tried downloading a game yet but my updates for streaming services have worked.

But there it does seems some settings on their end work for some and not others. the December update borked it for me but latest one seems to have fixed it.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I've had my PS5 since launch, and the wifi was perfectly fine prior to the December update. Now when I download games, the system usually drops the connection within 30 minutes to an hour. It doesn't matter if I put the system in rest mode or leave it on. It downloads long enough to where the system will say the game is ready to play, but it's a partial installation. Then not longer after, it completely loses connection to the internet, and the only fix is a restart of the console.

Now luckily PSN download speeds are pretty fast so you're probably good if you're only downloading a single game less than 20-30 gigs and you have a fast connection. However If I have more than one game in the queue or something like Call of Duty, then I have to babysit the console by checking in on it every half hour or so to restart the system. I've been through the factory reset twice and it doesn't help. Also doing the factory reset means I have to download all these games again which leads back to the original issue. As I am typing this, I just lost my wifi connection again. The most recent Feb update did nothing for me.

By the way, I've also had issues the past week with not being able to access my PS4 cloud saves on PS5. The PS5 cloud saves load just fine. Sony support was not helpful. The typical response is, "Let's troubleshoot your internet and check your speeds." It would be great if they could actually listen to the issue instead of running me through a script that won't do anything. I even explained that I have 2 PS5's that have the same issue, so which is more likely, that I got 2 console duds or that something is going wrong on their end? I hope they at least logged the issue in their system with someone more knowledgeable, but I'm not confident that it will be.

what band are you using for your wifi? Try using the 2.4ghz band instead of 5gz band

if you are still having issues after changing bands set your PS5 up with a static IP and create a DMZ in your router for that IP address.

If you are using an Xfinity, Spectrum or TimeWarner router these routers often have a security function that kicks in when any sort of notable uploading occurs that forces the device to decertify and refresh their network credentials. I would recommend going to e retailer and picking up your own modem and router to try and see if the issue continues. If it does you can return the modem and router

OP
OP

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
what band are you using for your wifi? Try using the 2.4ghz band instead of 5gz band

if you are still having issues after changing bands set your PS5 up with a static IP and create a DMZ in your router for that IP address.

If you are using an Xfinity, Spectrum or TimeWarner router these routers often have a security function that kicks in when any sort of notable uploading occurs that forces the device to decertify and refresh their network credentials. I would recommend going to e retailer and picking up your own modem and router to try and see if the issue continues. If it does you can return the modem and router

I saw 2.4ghz being mentioned, but having to drop speeds to workaround this isn't ideal. I also try to keep my smart devices like cameras and lights on the 2.4ghz and leave the others on 5ghz.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
Having the exact same problems as OP. Didnt have this problem with ps4, Ps4 Pro, WiiU, Laptop.. etc.

Its definitely an issue

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I had issues with disconnecting but that changed when I got a wifi extender to cover other places in the house. I think the wifi chip might be weaker than the PS4 or something because I didn't have issues there or on any other devices.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
This is a known issue OP, mine loses connection if I'm downloading a game and then also playing one on system. The speeds just keep on dropping before it completely loses the connection. A restart fixes this.

I haven't downloaded any in rest mode but I'll test if it also exists there.

This goes without saying I've been using the same network for few years now across multiple devices including PS4.

Did they ever fix "the lan cable is not connected" problem yet?

Don't tell me it happens with wired connection too? I ordered a CAT7 cable from Amazon literally last night to resolve this, haha

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Weird if this is from the December update since this just started happening to me earlier this week. I only notice it while using the YouTube app since the video freezes and then errors about the network.

All other devices work fine, and the wifi on my PS5 works for a while again after a reboot. I've had my PS5 since November and this is the first I've had this issue.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I saw 2.4ghz being mentioned, but having to drop speeds to workaround this isn't ideal. I also try to keep my smart devices like cameras and lights on the 2.4ghz and leave the others on 5ghz.
Slightly slower speed is better than dealing with frequent disconnects though. 5Ghz has a much smaller coverage area and is more prone to distortion via pipes and other materials. If 2.4ghzfuxes the issue you should look at setting up a wifi extension or a mesh solution

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Perhaps discuss what WiFi access point you have. And see if other people who have the same issue also have the same router?

Or perhaps also get an app to check WiFi strength on your phone and put your phone next to the ps5 and see what the strength is. Try doing a speed test near there as well.

Unless this is just a thread to vent

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps discuss what WiFi access point you have. And see if other people who have the same issue also have the same router?

Or perhaps also get an app to check WiFi strength on your phone and put your phone next to the ps5 and see what the strength is. Try doing a speed test near there as well.

Unless this is just a thread to vent
The anecdotal evidence online seems to point towards folks with the issue having cable company modem/router combos. But that's just anecdotal obviously

YSL

Sep 11, 2020
Having problems myself playing online is solid but when downloading it disconnects altogether and no WiFi routers show up have to restart my console happened 2 updates ago I think. It was perfectly fine before.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Same exact thing happens to me since I updated my PS5. I have no problems with any other devices downloading anything.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I have to wire my console to my router for downloads now as I have the exact same problem. I thought it was just me as I haven't heard anyone else mention it.

It's shit.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I keep having disconnection issues with my LAN. Randomly every time I'm on my PS5 is will connect and disconnect for no reason. I'm starting to wonder if the PS5 LAN port is defected. I don't have these issues on any other system.

Oct 30, 2017
Never had this issue. I've actually never heard of it.
not saying it isn't an issue, but, if you have two devices acting funny and disconnecting on your network, check your network/router.
Use them debugging skills,