• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I'm playing Mighty Bomb Jack for the first time and nothing is explained at all. Old games were often made with the understanding that you'd read the manual, so it's incredibly frustrating you have to look up the bare basics of the mechanics.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, built in manuals were a strange thing they removed on the Switch that were present during the Wii U / 3DS era.
I also miss them on indies too.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
StarTropics chapter 4.

The password is 747.

You would have to go online to find this if you didn't already know.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Can't disagree here. It's so weird especially when you know they've done it multiple times before.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
It's dumb but being unable to rebind controls or disable the overlay are much larger issues. At least you can use google to solve the lack of instruction manuals, there's nothing you can do to solve having to play Super Mario Bros. with backwards controls (compared to SNES which has the same button layout).

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would just like to be able to remap the buttons on the pro controller. That's all. Granted i'ts weird that Nintendo didn't offer the Manuals, since they did scan the original ones for the games that were on the Nes and Snes mini.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
This is also a big frustration I have with the recent Genesis/MD collection Sega's put out. You do get a single sheet of paper's worth of instructions, but it's usually much lower in content than the old original manuals were and sometimes lacks essential information.

Deleted member 55568

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I dunno, I still looked those things up on my phone even when they did include manuals. That's the easier way to do it, IMO.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. NES game manuals for many games are a requirement. It wasn't until the N64 era that manuals started to become required reading and by the GC/PS2 era we just kept them out of inertia.

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
They could have put a lot more love into it, specially since this is a product that panders to the nostalgic and the connoisseur, but Nintendo is happy with the bare minimum.

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
Nintendo's handling of their classic games on Switch has been straight-up atrocious. Look at Startropics, which can't even be beaten without a manual which can't be viewed.

We're over two years into the Switch's lifespan and we can't play Super Metroid on it? Are you serious? This is Nintendo's most successful console since the Wii, but unlike the Wii has passionate consumers who want to explore the ecosystem. Yet you can't play Mario 64, Mario World or a Link to the Past, LET ALONE a Gamecube game.

I love my Switch, but I also think people are a little too quick to give it passes. The lack of access to Nintendo's first party back catalog is baffling.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
While the emulation is great, everything else about that NES app feel subpar, especially coming from Virtual Console.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It makes StarTropics unbeatable.
Then it would match my experience of playing the rental copy I played as a kid. A Xeroxed manual and no letter included! The only reason I could play beyond that point was because someone else that rented it before had a save file after that point.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading Sin & Punishment's digital manual via the Wii and it was some wild shit.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
This is also a big frustration I have with the recent Genesis/MD collection Sega's put out. You do get a single sheet of paper's worth of instructions, but it's usually much lower in content than the old original manuals were and sometimes lacks essential information.
I was wondering about this just yesterday. I really hope that Sega's Mini Mega Drive thingy has at least online PDFs for the manuals you can download, because you could do that at least with the NES and SNES classics.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles

Came here to say this, as I'm experiencing the same thing.

Really, any collection of retro games released today should have -- at minimum -- online-viewable manuals for each game. Those games were absolutely reliant on having that info on-hand, it's an essential inclusion.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Meanwhile Earthbound on Wii U had the entire guidebook scanned since it came with the game and was needed incase you got stuck.

Nintendo going backwards.

Deleted member 55568

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Manuals used to be part of the experience. They had art, story, secrets, and more. You were meant to have it open and nearby. It was a fun tactile addition to the experience.
I'm 37, so I'm aware. But for a digital game on my Switch, I'd just rather look that stuff up than look at some in-game version. Especially since my phone lets me keep it open, whereas an in-game manual would not.

Deleted member 38050

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
It's almost as if the entire Switch Online NES service is a lazy cash grab and they don't give two shits about it

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how bad Nintendo has been with their legacy library on the Switch overall. Its embarrassing really.

Nov 4, 2017
The terrible NES on Switch experience is such a stark contrast to my pleasant experience with the Sega Ages version of Phantasy Star. It's shocking to me that Sega and Camcom have a far superior legacy software experience on the Switch. It's baffling.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I miss them too. It doesn't surprise me however given how spartan the rest of the Switch's UI is.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
But they so conveniently leave those button prompts on the display all the time :p

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's dumb but being unable to rebind controls or disable the overlay are much larger issues. At least you can use google to solve the lack of instruction manuals, there's nothing you can do to solve having to play Super Mario Bros. with backwards controls (compared to SNES which has the same button layout).

Or just use X and A.

It's a better layout than Y and B anyway because then your thumb doesn't keep bumping into the right analog stick.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
I was playing my NES classic yesterday and went to the "manual" section in the top bar and it just showed a URL

Just as lazy as their Switch Online experience.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Google on a phone will work better and faster than any built in option.
What manual would you like? I'll link it for you.
I'm guessing their stats showed extremely low usage of the Manuals on NES Mini.

Cause there is ironically no online
The games are literally online enabled.
The terrible NES on Switch experience is such a stark contrast to my pleasant experience with the Sega Ages version of Phantasy Star. It's shocking to me that Sega and Camcom have a far superior legacy software experience on the Switch. It's baffling.
Of all the nonsense...
Phantasy Star is an $8 deluxe standalone purchase, not part of a freebie with subscription 40 games and growing package.

And Capcom's stuff is extremely poorly emulated and they actively fucked their audience over with half-physical collections.

But they so conveniently leave those button prompts on the display all the time :p
This however is a legit complaint to me.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Its really odd how Nintendo treats their legacy software. They seem to be really proud of Super Mario Bros. They fold it into Odyssey, they reference it a lot.

But

If you look at NSO, SMB is just a ROM amongst a sea of ROMs. No manual. Barely any context.

I look at special edition Bali Rays with all their fractures and extras and documentaries and commentaries and attempts to contextualise the work and think ... why is NSO so disrespectful.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I'm 37, so I'm aware. But for a digital game on my Switch, I'd just rather look that stuff up than look at some in-game version. Especially since my phone lets me keep it open, whereas an in-game manual would not.
Actually it would be great if they mapped a button to 'bring up manual' that saved your page. It could be done, easily. But I get where you're coming from. I have a collection of PDF manuals and I'll use my phone sometimes to have one open.