• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
very refreshing to see. 3rd party support for the system has been amazing and it keeps getting better

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Oh I'm sorry I got confused.

Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No big. I'm really happy for Nintendo only players or ones who vastly prefer handheld, just nothing for me and some others personally(besides the 1st party ports for me).

The secret talking point is that Nintendo has always had a ton of 3rd party support, just not the kind that people seem to care about. I've lamented a lot of good 3rd party games being stuck on that 240p screen for a long time.

Last edited:

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mostly buy first party but I'm so glad to see all the 3rd party support. And if the compromises are reasonable I usually lean toward buying the switch versions of games.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
no monster hunter sooooooooooooooooo

Still holding out hope that there's a Portable MH game tailor made for the Switch. I was pretty confident in one getting revealed soon at first, but seeing how large Iceborne is, I'm thinking it may end up being a cut down version of World, with loading times between each zone or something. I would prefer a Switch game more along the lines of a Gen U continuation, and have essentially two series running.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing some people complain that there wasn't a new first party title announced, when a lot of people have been waiting so long for third party support behind a Nintendo platform. It was nice seeing a Direct that was more third party focused, even though it was a lot of ports. Any support is better than no support, especially in today's 'super expensive and too hard to take too many risks' world.

I am sure Nintendo has stuff hidden up its sleeve, but for now there are a good amount of games to be excited about.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I have no idea why there's always so much confusion over the difference between Remasters and Remakes.

Xenoblade isn't a remaster. It's a remake.

This version of Xenoblade Chronicles is a Remaster, because as the name implies, it's remastering the original work. There are always degrees of this - sometimes companies will just up the resolution and call it a day. In this case they're doing more substantial graphical improvements, but ultimately it's still the same game (with the same code), just with a fresh coat of paint. Even if it has a few QOL improvements and a new area, it would still qualify as a remaster. Another example of this would be Wind Waker HD. Same game, but with improved graphics and some QOL updates.

A remake on the other hand is essentially a completely new game. Everything is made from the ground up. The upcoming version of Final Fantasy VII is a remake for example.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
People wondering why nintendo's 3rd party is weak and giving a look at this thread im not even surprised. Nintendo gamers dont even want them.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I found it very interesting that they didn't bother showing FIFA 20 since it's a legacy edition.

EA is looking very very weak on the currently hottest gaming item in both Japan and NA (and in at least 3 of the main european countries)

I don't think their shareholders are going to keep quiet about it at the next meeting. They are leaving money on the table by underserving a huge market.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was all ports, who cares. Swith only still gets scraps from third parties and with next gen its gonna get worse

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
There was also Daemon X Machina, Dragon Quest XIS, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening, and Tetris 99, which is a lot of games for Nintendo to show.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
People are really spoiled. If you think this Direct lacked great games, I have a bit of advice for you: actually try some of the titles you know nothing about.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused that people are talking about third party support as if Nintendo handhelds haven't always had great support from 3rd parties. If anything the Switch is a step down in that regard so far, unless you're really itching to play ports of games that came out on other platforms.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
People wondering why nintendo's 3rd party is weak and giving a look at this thread im not even surprised. Nintendo gamers dont even want them.

I think it's more that a lot of people are multi platform owners and aren't as excited. I'd imagine that Nintendo only or primary gamers are beyond excited.

People are really spoiled. If you think this Direct lacked great games, I have a bit of advice for you: actually try some of the titles you know nothing about.

Again, the issue a lot of people have is that they have played many of the good games announced. It's silly for them to constantly complain about it, but it's not unreasonable to feel that way at all. I put a ton of time into Black Flag, Divinity 2, etc. Should I be excited about these ports? Not really if I don't intend to replay portable. Did a ton of people make a big deal about Hollow Knight or Shovel Knight getting a PS4 port? Nope, because most who wanted them that badly already played them elsewhere. That's the nature of late ports, on basically all systems.

I'm confused that people are talking about third party support as if Nintendo handhelds haven't always had great support from 3rd parties. If anything the Switch is a step down in that regard so far, unless you're really itching to play ports of games that came out on other platforms.

This exactly. There should be more nuance to the topic because there are some 3rd parties that Nintendo has had very strong ties with in the past(Capcom, Atlus, Konami) that have notably reduced output for Nintendo thus far. I imagine it has a lot to do with smaller Japanese devs finally being forced into the HD era, but even some bigger ones are kind of quiet. Fact is, Doom/Skyrim/Witcher, while great to see on the system, just aren't going to move the needle as much as some of the RPGs that thrived on Nintendo handhelds to many of us.

Last edited:

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I was just thinking this earlier, right after the Direct finished. I don't think there's a question anymore that this is a new, competitive Nintendo. Lessons have very clearly been learned across the board, and we are in, IMO, uncharted territory for a Nintendo system as far as what games could come to it. It definitely has some holes in it's library for sure, but this is hands down, the best library of games a Nintendo console has ever had.

When you factor in the recovery time needed after their previous failure it's an amazingly quick turnaround too.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
very refreshing to see. 3rd party support for the system has been amazing and it keeps getting better

What's also refreshing is Nintendo treating 3rd parties as first class citizens. They really are giving these titles prime time and not stomping all over them with 1st party titles.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, it's a good thing for sure. It's just that I really don't care about 3rd party on Switch as I will most likely play all those games on PC, that's why I thought the Direct was pretty disappointing, for me at least.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Personally it's hard to get excited about years old games available on multiple platforms. Unless you can only game handheld or have a self imposed rule of only playing Nintendo systems I think third party support is still very weak.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Remember during the Wii U era when Lost Reavers was announced forthe Wii U?
Holy shit a third party game?! :O

It's nice to see some great stuff from third parties getting released on the Switch.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Personally it's hard to get excited about years old games available on multiple platforms. Unless you can only game handheld or have a self imposed rule of only playing Nintendo systems I think third party support is still very weak.

If a 3rd party title is on both my PS4 or Switch, and is not technically demanding and suitable for portable play, then Switch wins every time for me. I also wouldn't consider it weak when I don't have enough time to play all of the games on the system, even with the added portability bringing unconstrained gaming.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
If a 3rd party title is on both my PS4 or Switch, and is not technically demanding and suitable for portable play, then Switch wins every time for me. I also wouldn't consider it weak when I don't have enough time to play all of the games on the system, even with the added portability bringing unconstrained gaming.
I say weak because very few new releases come day and date, if at all. As for the older stuff if I had any interest in them I will have already played them elsewhere. I don't really understand the 'I've always wanted to play this 10 year old game' posts.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
It would be impressive if they were new 3rd party games launching on Switch. I don't think remakes or rereleases are something to write home about.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Yeah, it's interesting how much third party support the Switch has, and how much Nintendo is willing to support it. Thankfully the Switch is a thriving and healthy ecosystem, so I assume these games will largely do well.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Nonsense, people with no interest in playing 3rd party games on a Nintendo device don't want them, those of us who primarily play games on our Switch welcome all 3rd party games

The direct was amazing for me

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Why not? I haven't played many of those games announced, nor have time to play than on home consoles. So again, why shouldn't I be happy with those announcements?
I'm talking more on the meta level since there is no point discussing personal opinion. Nintendo have had issues with 3rd party AAA support for a long, long time. Until we see day 1 launches consistently, the problem still exists.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking more on the meta level since there is no point discussing personal opinion. Nintendo have had issues with 3rd party AAA support for a long, long time. Until we see day 1 launches consistently, the problem still exists.
Exactly. Finally someone who gets it. It's not about what a small bubble like Era wants, but what the mass market wants. Most people haven't even heard of games like Divinity or Deadly Premonition. And Overwatch, while it is very well known on the mass market, is pretty late to the party, most people play Apex Legends now. I'd argue in that aspect the direct lacked 3rd party announcements, and first party announcements alike. We haven't got anything huge, which Nintendo needs more, like Witcher 3 or Doom Eternal in this direct.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately

No one is expecting AAA third party games on Switch, the system is not powerful enough.

No being aggressive here, but you seem to be worring too much about the way other people enjoy their games, it's a bit weird, you know. Let us enjoy what we have to play and be happy that in at the very least, more ports mean more work for people in this industry.

Not everybody have fun the way you think it's the correct way to have fun.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Honestly, I don't really remember what games got announced or the direct in general. I remember being bored and laughing at DMC2 tho

Thank god for Luigi's mansion

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Third party support on 3DS was absolutely terrible compared to every other Nintendo portable. Switch is a massive return to form.

Like, name me one notable third party title on that platform post 2012, outside of Monster Hunter, a very small handful of indies (like SteamWorld and Shovel Knight), and some Atlus stuff.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Nonsense, people with no interest in playing 3rd party games on a Nintendo device don't want them, those of us who primarily play games on our Switch welcome all 3rd party games

The direct was amazing for me
Yeah thankfully guys like you(us) are plenty.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Not that amazing when it was mostly ports. If this was the Wii U days people would be armed with pitchforks lol

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's good to see them focusing on third-party but it gives an unrealistic impression of what the third-party situation is actually like on Switch. It's better but still not amazing.

The issue I have (for first-party) is that these ancient ports are being sold for $60. That's unacceptable but it's not going to change.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
What? If I got a Direct like this during the Wii U days, I would have actually powered on my system and played something. The Wii U NEVER had anything to play on it.
I'm going off the sentiment back then that third party titles only made it to Wii U as late and/or compromised ports (if at all). The situation has certainly gotten better in the number of titles (and finally some same-day releases) but... yeah it's still a lot of late ports. I understand having these games handheld remains a novelty for some, but let's not pretend it's this amazing thing devs are porting over old games and charging full price

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going off the sentiment back then that third party titles only made it to Wii U as late and/or compromised ports (if at all). The situation has certainly gotten better in the number of titles (and finally some same-day releases) but... yeah it's still a lot of late ports. I understand having these games handheld remains a novelty for some, but let's not pretend it's this amazing thing devs are porting over old games and charging full price

Wii U received ports....for around one year of the system's life. And the vast majority of those ports actually released on the console's launch day. If Wii U had received a Nintendo Direct 2.5 years into its life full of third party content, port or otherwise, users would have been thrilled.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
No one is expecting AAA third party games on Switch, the system is not powerful enough.

No being aggressive here, but you seem to be worring too much about the way other people enjoy their games, it's a bit weird, you know. Let us enjoy what we have to play and be happy that in at the very least, more ports mean more work for people in this industry.

Not everybody have fun the way you think it's the correct way to have fun.
I'm not worried, and you're free to enjoy those games, just like I will. I'm just saying, old third party games in a direct isn't really an "amazing" thing, which is what this thread is about. It would be amazing if Nintendo resolved their decades old first party problem.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Invoking the SNES (and PS2) is a little ridiculous. The Switch is great, but it's mostly an afterthought for major third parties. When everyone's bringing their DOOM Eternals out at launch on Switch, the comparison will make more sense.