• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
variety.com

‘It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’ Renewed Through Historic Season 18 by FX

"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" has been renewed through Season 18 by FX

"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" has been renewed for four additional seasons by FX, which means the show will shatter its own record as the longest-running live action comedy of all time.

"Always Sunny" will now run for at least 18 seasons. It was previously renewed for Season 15 back in May. The Season 15 renewal officially broke the record previously held by "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet," which ran for 14 seasons on ABC. The renewal is no small feat for the unconventional and genre-defining sitcom, which started out as a pilot shot on a home video camera nearly two decades ago.

The massive renewal announcement was made Thursday by FX chairman John Landgraf as part of the Disney Investor Day presentation.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit that's crazy. I'm all for more Sunny, it's past its peak but has remained remarkably consistent and funny for a show that can be measured in decades.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
eEKxiaJ.gif

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's a lot of episodes. Always Sunny really trying to live up to its name.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Some of my friends will be ecstatic about this. I honestly don't get the show though. Characters are always shouting.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.

I mean, even outside that being record breaking, that's just [obviously] a *serious* vote of confidence in Howerton/McElhenny/Day. Those Hulu numbers must be something else. For me, while they're past their peak, it's still consistently pretty good and you can't really be like "man, they fell off *hard*" like so many other sitcoms.

Last edited:

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
This is interesting given what looked like the show clearly ending for like 2 seasons in a row there. It's definitely dropped off, but worth watching nonetheless.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the show dead a few times. When Charlie got into movies, when Dee's actress got her own show, and then Denni's actor. But they always come back

Phineous_2

Oct 29, 2017
Fantastic news, love the show. That they are still doing great episodes after this many years is incredible.

IdeaOfEvil

Banned
Dec 4, 2020
I really like AP Bio on Peacock, so I hope this renewal gives Glen some room to do both if AP even gets to go past a season 3)

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Why would you order 4 extra seasons in one go? Surely you order 1 or 2 and check to see that it hasn't completely run out of steam before ordering the rest.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome to hear, they definitely still have gas in the tank.

Why would you order 4 extra seasons in one go? Surely you order 1 or 2 and check to see that it hasn't completely run out of steam before ordering the rest.

My guess is that they all know after these 4 seasons it's all but over so you might as well order them right off the bat to be safe.

If you only order 1 or 2 more seasons, some of the cast might get cold feet or ask for a lot more money for 1 or 2 more final seasons after the initial ones are done.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Holy shit that's crazy. I'm all for more Sunny, it's past its peak but has remained remarkably consistent and funny for a show that can be measured in decades.
Let me tell you something, it hasn't even begun to peak. And when it does peak, you'll know. Because it's gonna peak so hard that everybody in Philadelphia's gonna feel it.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not as excited as all of you, the last couple of seasons have been a bit... eh. Hoping they can return to their former glory.