• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Im in a backward compatibility run right now. got lots of old games to replay on my One X.

Anyway, I got a copy of Call of Duty 3 (X360) for 1€ at a yard sale because why not, love me some OG WW2 games.
I mean, look at this cover:

!!e!UhhQBmM~$(KGrHqJ,!iYE0FpC1yR(BNP3(w7UHQ~~_32.JPG

The guy on the front just screams "fuck yeah!"

Played this game way back in 2006 on my brand new X360. Today I popped this thing in my One X just to see how it is after all these years.

And what did I see???
There are still lots of games online! I jumped right into a 18/24 player server. This game is janky for today standards but I had a blast.
I love revisiting some old games.

Keep backward compatibility coming MS and you got me on your Series X. No questions asked.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
CoD3 online is fantastic! Shame about the single player.

The last CoD multiplayer before they all started to look and play almost exactly the same.

Oct 28, 2017
Id be willing to bet that most of the people playing CoD3 are on XB1. BC really does preserves games multiplayer communities. I played GRAW online the other day and got damn near emotional doing so.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Call of Duty 3 is still my favourite CoD multiplayer. When I got an Elite for Christmas as a kid, this game came with it.

Eder Dam was the best map and then using the bike to get out of bounds was hype. I miss this game. Multiplayer still somewhat active on Xbox?

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
It is one of my fav CODs. You are doing the right thing. TreyArch's first true attempt.

I loved this game and played the hell out of it when it came out. The sniping is a little harder but worth it. I loved the fact it had vehicles back then.

Although I wasn't a fan of Pre-Game and Post-Game lobbies. They could've done a better job but it was 2006.

The game still looks gorgeous in my opinion. Also the sound design is top notch. It is a very underrated game, specially seeing that in 2007 we got the behemoth that is Modern Warfare. Everybody forgot about COD 3

Also I bought all the maps for this game but for some reason never found players to play with even back in 2006/2007, I wonder how the online structure is right now. I need to pop this game in my Xbox One and check it for myself. I might find you online Lol. Who knows.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
They should reopen the BC program, if there's still games publishers would allow on the service. It's a tremendous benefit to some of us to be able to take our games with us and experience them again through different points in our lives. It also fits well with their Netflix for games approach to broaden the library on Game Pass as much as possible.

Backwards compatibility was what opened my eyes to Xbox this generation, having already purchased hundreds of games from them going back to the original Xbox launch in 2001 and I still use it regularly.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the responses in this thread, love seeing CoD3 love. Such an unfairly maligned game. Put so many hours into it.

I tried to play it again this year on PS3 but couldn't connect to the servers. Tried a few times over the course of a couple days and nothing, I'd assumed that they finally shut the servers down. Maybe it was just a temporary problem then though? Or else is shut down on PS3 but not 360.

Super cool to see that people are still playing it though, I might have to dig out my 360 and give it a go there. Though when I stopped playing the only maps that I ever saw were Poisson and Eder Dam. Not that those maps were bad, I love both but you get tired of the same two you know. I also love Verdun and Fuel Plant, and really like pretty well every map tbh, I'm not sure there's a bad map in there.

CoD3 online is fantastic! Shame about the single player.

The last CoD multiplayer before they all started to look and play almost exactly the same.
Yep, minority as hell opinion but 4 was the start of CoD's decline for me. Would love to see another entry in the vein of the older titles, particularly Treyarch's.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
I was thinking about replaying Bad Company 2 online on Ps3, are people still playing this?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Why did they never released it on PC!? I remember some good hours of fun before I dropped it because it was on console.

Anyways, CoD 1 with United Offensive addon was and is still the best CoD for Multiplayer.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Legit amazed there's still people playing it.

I think people still play almost every Call of Duty game. On Steam Call of Duty 2 still has a few hundred players on it every hour.

I hear that people even play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 online on the Wii.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They should reopen the BC program, if there's still games publishers would allow on the service. It's a tremendous benefit to some of us to be able to take our games with us and experience them again through different points in our lives. It also fits well with their Netflix for games approach to broaden the library on Game Pass as much as possible.

Backwards compatibility was what opened my eyes to Xbox this generation, having already purchased hundreds of games from them going back to the original Xbox launch in 2001 and I still use it regularly.
I'm betting they probably will once next-gen launches. They just want most people focusing on the launch coming up, then they'll split into different focuses again. At least, I really hope so! lol

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Why and how did you take every thought from my mind?
It was simply the best. I think the Heavy MG class had ammo boxes it could give out. So from what I remember, you could camp out of bounds and shoot anyone who went past you whilst topping up on ammo whenever.

Good times.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
Man, I remember absolutely wrecking shit with the Kar98k in COD3. The online multiplayer was so fun!

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For those wondering, the BC program will continue with the Series X. Spencer himself said the BC team was moving forward to Scarlet once the program was temporarily halted.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Never played this one online for some reason, i cant remember why ir what i played at the time. Cod 4 was my first foray into heavy online gaming then i went back and played 2 online later but never this one. I did have it at launch and played the campaign though.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Never played this one online for some reason, i cant remember why ir what i played at the time. Cod 4 was my first foray into heavy online gaming then i went back and played 2 online later but never this one. I did have it at launch and played the campaign though.
I played and finished the campaign mainly because it had Canadian Army, and Polish as well.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
OMG I have so many fond memories of this game online. Meeting this player that was absolutely the match of me...we sussed each other out every single time. Mad respect for each others movements and tactics. So awesome.

Still has the best weapon ever in a FPS shooter too. KAR98. I adored that thing.

Wow...it's still going too!

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Everyone embraced the WW2 (COD3) to Modern Warfare (COD4) changed however it's easy to get carried away in WW2 games especially Call of Duty, high level story telling and many gamers favorites multiplayer.

DoughBoi

May 7, 2019
Oh man. CoD 3 was the first game that I played online extensively. I remember my friends and I would play 4-player split screen online for hours. Nothing like wall-glitching into vantage points on Poisson and Eder Dam. Simple, broken fun. Easily my most enjoyed CoD multiplayer game.

I didn't think the single player was too bad either. I liked the inclusion of Canadian and Polish forces. Certainly aged better than some other FPS campaigns from that time.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
CoD3, along with the United Offensive expansion for the first CoD on PC, was peak multiplayer for the series. It went downhill with Modern Warfare onwards. I have very fond memories of sniper duels in Argentan, motorcycle squads in Les Ormes, and all-around chaos in Poisson and Eder Dam. Good times.

The campaign wasn't quite as ambitious, but I appreciated that it spent a good chunk of playtime on nationalities rarely represented in WWII games, in this case the Canadians and Poles.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Cod3 my first ever online game on the ps3. Enjoyed the campaign too. Crazy to think what a huge improvement cod4 would be. Made 3 seem like a ps2 game.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
My first CoD and first MP shooter, right before I got swept up in Halo 3. That bridge map is iconic. Really fond memories.