• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
From reading some of the replies in this thread I'd guess the average Era user sucks at FPS MP. Have you guys ever heard of preaiming and shooting when you turn corners?

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Campers are a huge nuisance.

Gettihg killed in a 1 on 1 battle is how it should be but walking into a room and getting killed by camping behind the door waiting for someone to walk past is an annoyance and shows lack of skill.

Overwatch if I recall correctly boots you if you're idle for too long not that I ever found camping to be a huge issue in that game to begin with.

Im surprised how many of you are seemingly okay with it.
Overwatch example is bullshit, it boots you if you're inactive and a lot of other games do that too, it has nothing to do with camping and you could still camp in Overwatch, in fact it has heroes with toolsets that specifically encourage camping. Grow up and learn how to play is the right answer here.

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
Yeah, its 2019 and people are gaming more then ever. They are spending most of their time gaming.

So camping is a problem i guess. Not for me. I just drop that games like MW and BFV.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Running around in Halo was a great way to take advantage of the spawning system to spawn kill or force bad spawns. Once you got the hang of it, it became second nature and was part of the fun.. at least if you were the one taking advantage of it.
Gosh I miss that Halo so much. I'm really sad that there really aren't many (if any, as I can't think of one at all) that rewards map and weapon control like Halo did. The rush for the Power Weapons leading into massive firefights and then holding on to that weapon for as long as possible was such a great experience (albeit a steep learning curve if coming in late to the party).

Now I am sad.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just design all maps with rounded corners, done with it. No corner camping anymore.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand spawn-camping being a problem, but I really don't see the problem with people choosing to stay in one particular place to fight. Doubly so if you're trying to play a sniper-type character. That's not something that necessarily needs solving and in a lot of games wouldn't a grenade make good work of a camper?
Yeah this - I feel like some people want everyone constantly sprinting whilst bunny hopping, spinning, and headshotting people with a shotgun that's got far too much range for a videogame.

Different people can play more slowly or faster...if you're playing faster and annoyed by "cheap" deaths from people you deem to be camping then slow down and look/check camping spots and/or find different travel routes.

Or find a different game. If devs thought fairly simple "fixes" like camping prompts, or making people more visible or whatever would sell more games, they'd do it in a heart beat.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Ah yes, the military. Famous for allowing regular soldiers to just call in airstrikes, care packages containing airstrikes, throwing knives, and stealing flags from the enemies.
Of course there are fantasy elements but these games are designed to evoke some military strategy. It's why these games rely on small HP and regenerating health so heavily so you don't just throw yourself into a situation where you are easy to shoot at.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I don't camp, but don't begrudge people who do. It's a legit tactic. I am by no means good at this game, in fact I'm very average. But I try to learn how to avoid them and deal with them. They get you when you shift your focus into "revenge mode" and give yourself to them on a plate over and over again. Find out where they are, let your team know and figure out how you can deal with them without giving them the chance to kill you, or just straight up avoid that area. The balcony on Hackney Yard that overlooks people from C spawn... The amount of people I've seen die over and over again to the same camper is mind boggling. Take another route! If there's no one there to shoot, he's not going to stick in the same spot.

It's the same story with all multiplayer first person shooters, people always complain about what they die to most. Whatever the META is at any given time "MUST BE NERFED", whether that's guns, characters or tactics. Then there's a new META and the conversations are repeated.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course there are fantasy elements but these games are designed to evoke some military strategy. It's why these games rely on small HP and regenerating health so heavily so you don't just throw yourself into a situation where you are easy to shoot at.

CoD is absolutely not designed to evoke some military strategy.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I can understand spawn-camping being a problem, but I really don't see the problem with people choosing to stay in one particular place to fight. Doubly so if you're trying to play a sniper-type character. That's not something that necessarily needs solving and in a lot of games wouldn't a grenade make good work of a camper?

Yes, it's a funny thing when people complain about opponents remaining in one spot.

Also yes, if you really need to address this alarming exploit, then a grenade to the face usually gets them moving.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Time has changed. Camping is cool now and run and gun is Trash. Im fine with it.

But back then no one screamed "stop run n gunning !" Lmao

That's not really true. I was very active in one of the biggest CoD forums around the time MW2/Black Ops were big and people definitely complained about rushers.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So, not for the past 12 years at least then. Why are you making this point now?
Admittedly I haven't played CoD since Black Ops but I know the basic game design from the original games is still present in CoD today. Isn't that why everybody says every game is the same? That original intent is still relevant even if that isn't the current developer's intent anymore.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you lack the ability to take a different route or use a flashbang then you need to address your own play style.

When dozens of people just keep running through the exact same door over and over in COD I would be a poor player to not take advantage and help my team win.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Gosh I miss that Halo so much. I'm really sad that there really aren't many (if any, as I can't think of one at all) that rewards map and weapon control like Halo did. The rush for the Power Weapons leading into massive firefights and then holding on to that weapon for as long as possible was such a great experience (albeit a steep learning curve if coming in late to the party).

Now I am sad.

Agreed. MLG settings on Halo 2 were the absolute best.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I haven't played the newest Rainbow Six, but I very much enjoyed how much the MP in the Xbox/360 games punished you for being a run and gun shotgun spammer rather than peeking around corners and checking your blind spots.

CoD's combination of sprinting and requisite DTS lock-on has never really worked for me. I'm not surprised that people enamored with that play style don't like the idea of having to slow down.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
As long as tools and weapons like claymores mines and shotguns encourage it it'll happen.

Oct 27, 2017
I have zero issues with camping. If you're not paying attention, they might get you once. After that, you know exactly where they are and should be able to take them out.

Dec 21, 2017

Now I am sad.
Do you have an Xbox One or gaming PC? Join us on MCC.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
1. Like it or not, it's a valid tactic, even if it's terribly unfun to deal with.

2. Spawn-camping is far worse.

3. Developers would be better focused on map design that prevents easy camping, rather than heavy-handed policies like idle times or penalties.

4. It's also up to you to get better. Assuming the map design isn't such in the way of making the camping spot impossible to sneak up on, once you are killed once by the camper, you now know where they are and can work on getting the drop on them. Kind of the double-edged sword of camping is that by definition, you are staying in the same spot/small area.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate campers but it's a part of the game. You cant force people to move around the map if they want to stay in one spot. Someone in this thread even said camping is an exploit. It's not. Sitting in a corner is part of the game. People need to get over it

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
From reading some of the replies in this thread I'd guess the average Era user sucks at FPS MP. Have you guys ever heard of preaiming and shooting when you turn corners?
Try doing this in MW and you'll quickly find out that the camper is already hard aiming the corner with their 725 and kill you before you can even shoot.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Admittedly I haven't played CoD since Black Ops but I know the basic game design from the original games is still present in CoD today. Isn't that why everybody says every game is the same? That original intent is still relevant even if that isn't the current developer's intent anymore.
The people who say it's the same game every year are being disingenuous. It changes quite a lot year to year. Whatever, the point is that in no way does CoD encourage you to play it like a military sim. From the perks, to kill streaks, to the maps, to the variety of weapons and equipment, it's designed to be a fast paced arcade shooter. There's nothing about it that's designed to "evoke military strategy" other than the aesthetic, and that's been the case for well over a decade now.

CoD rewards good gunplay and abusing OP loadouts way more than it rewards strategy, and that's always been the case. The low TTK favours the player with the better aim and the better gun, regardless of strategy.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Camping to me isn't a problem unless the game is highly restricted on how many spawn points there are.

If a single team can camp every spawnpoint then some sort of mechanic needs to be introduced to allow the player to reposition post spawn before becoming vulnerable.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. Just you. All I can suggest is to get better?
6 people (entire team) in one room with one door and no windows, riot shields, shotguns, claymores, bouncing betties, trophy systems, and all with Scavenger on to replenish their shit. Even RPGs didn't do shit. Yeah, skill works here. You can probably guess the game and even map from this.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Gettihg killed in a 1 on 1 battle is how it should be but walking into a room and getting killed by camping behind the door waiting for someone to walk past is an annoyance and shows lack of skill.
I camp to get kills exactly the way you described because I'm old and slow and not as good as you. Forcing people to play the way you want them to makes for a shitty game. Find something else to play if it bothers you that much.

XNihili

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I think we should ban terrorists and mass killers that camp. They should fight 1 on 1 against the police or the army.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I'd say I'm surprised by the stance taken in the OP, but I've played enough Call of Duty(or any online game for that matter)to know this is hilariously common. The idea that players need to demonstrate a certain level of mechanical skill for you(or anyone else), or play the way you want them to play is crazy sauce OP.

Camping is by no means an exploit. If it's something that counters your play style(rushing I imagine), then that's just something you accept. It's like someone playing a fighting game and picking a character who gets hard bodied by a zoning character, then calling BS when they can't play how they like(or exploitative in this case). Shame you can't play how you like in MW or other similar shooters, but that's all it is.

Mind you, I dropped MW precisely because it's too slow for my liking. However, I accept this was the design behind the game(and everything else that comes with its slower pace and loud footsteps) and just bounced back to something i DID enjoy. Just hop onto something you like and call it a day, but don't claim something is wrong or exploitative because you happen to not like it.

Bright-Light

Oct 29, 2017
Campers can't hang.

Simple as that.

True for me. I camp in Cod games because im not very good at twitch shooters. But I do enjoy playin them from time to time.
tend to stick to the edges of the map picking off strays.
I understand people might get a bit salty, but some people just run through the same door over and over to get revenge never changping their approach. Camp, get a few kills, relocate.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Is it camping or defending your position?
Campers are annoying but trying to get them after realising their postion is quite fun.