• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Ehh, its a viable tactic; unless we are talking pure twitch shooters (and campers wouldnt last long in em anyway).

Like I can't count the times in Apex where stupid teammates cost us a win because they decided to go full Quake/Unreal when we've got position. Wanting 1 on 1 fights is a weird thing to want in FPS's where there are dozens of players on a map, go play fighting games instead.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You gotta realize that it may be lame for you because you're dying but it's great for them because they're getting kills. You gotta let people play the way they want. Is it annoying yes but there are ways to beat it just like there are ways to beat the way you play, like camping.

I'm not dying is the thing though, at least no more than I am to any other player. It's annoying because it slows the pace of the game down and makes it more predictable.

As an example, I was playing Domination on shoothouse earlier and there was a guy on the enemy team who, every single time he spawned, would run to the raised areas at A or C overlooking the alleys to B. Like, to the point where I did 4 laps of the map without dying and killed him 4 times in one of those two spots.

Im decent at the game, I know not to keep charging a camper head on. If they get me once I ignore them or come at them from a different direction. I just think sitting in the same spot for the entire game is such a boring way to approach a game as fast paced as CoD.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In real combat situations people aren't jumping all over the place they find a location and secure it.

In a real combat situation people aren't sitting in a Corner of a room, ADSing one entrance with a claymore at the other two entrances. These games aren't meant to be sims.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I also love the argument that camping somehow hurts objective based modes.

If we're playing domination, I'm camping between A and B to keep people off home point and put pressure on mid point.

If we are playing CTF, I'm guarding home flag and watching for flankers.

If we are playing search, I'm camping bomb on defence and any area that let's me have good sightlines of the planted bomb on offence.

If we are playing King of the hill or territory control style modes like headquarters, you camp outside the capture point and kill rushers while your team caps.

It's not exactly rocket science to find a way to camp and still be effective in team play.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I also love the argument that camping somehow hurts objective based modes.

If we're playing domination, I'm camping between A and B to keep people off home point and put pressure on mid point.

If we are playing CTF, I'm guarding home flag and watching for flankers.

If we are playing search, I'm camping bomb on defence and any area that let's me have good sightlines of the planted bomb on offence.

If we are playing King of the hill or territory control style modes like headquarters, you camp outside the capture point and kill rushers while your team caps.

It's not exactly rocket science to find a way to camp and still be effective
reporting you for exploits

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I'm not dying is the thing though, at least no more than I am to any other player. It's annoying because it slows the pace of the game down and makes it more predictable.

As an example, I was playing Domination on shoothouse earlier and there was a guy on the enemy team who, every single time he spawned, would run to the raised areas at A or C overlooking the alleys to B. Like, to the point where I did 4 laps of the map without dying and killed him 4 times in one of those two spots.

Im decent at the game, I know not to keep charging a camper head on. If they get me once I ignore them or come at them from a different direction. I just think sitting in the same spot for the entire game is such a boring way to approach a game as fast paced as CoD.
Its boring to me its boring to you but he was probably having an awesome time, its a totally valid way to play. I get it I just dont think its possible to stop without creating a whole new type of game. Even in other genres of games there are always people who do a similar thing but its just almost impossible to stop.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Camping is a valid strategy. If it works, it works. And I say this as a savage gun and run ape. Who are you to dictate how people have to play their games? Reminds me of people who cried about throws in fighting games in the early days of SF2.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is something that has popped into my head again after playing a lot of Modern Warfare and Battlefield V.

It kind of boggles my mind that game developers haven't solved this issue by implementing some sort of warning for being idle for too long or discouraging camping with a penalty of some sort especially when it's a common problem in most FPS games.

I was wondering if Era had a similar feeling/thought to mine?
Fucking what?

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its boring to me its boring to you but he was probably having an awesome time, its a totally valid way to play. I get it I just dont think its possible to stop without creating a whole new type of game. Even in other genres of games there are always people who do a similar thing but its just almost impossible to stop.

Im not saying to find a way to stop it, I'm just complaining about it. People can play how they want but I can complain about them making the game less fun for me.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Campers are a huge nuisance.

Gettihg killed in a 1 on 1 battle is how it should be but walking into a room and getting killed by camping behind the door waiting for someone to walk past is an annoyance and shows lack of skill.

Overwatch if I recall correctly boots you if you're idle for too long not that I ever found camping to be a huge issue in that game to begin with.

Im surprised how many of you are seemingly okay with it.

Don't see how it shows lack of skill if that player kills you, imo he did better then. It's a valid tactic that also has its cons, as everything.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
There's your problem. It's pvp, don't expect kindness.
there is no good will

do what you need to win
If everyone camped, nothing would happen. Some players are good sports and kind enough to actually move around so there actually is a game. Without that kindness and gesture of good faith, no one would win anything and the campers who mooch off that kindness would quickly lose interest in the game. Campers are essentially parasites (which sounds way harsh, but I'm genuinely struggling to think of a nicer way to describe their contribution to the game lol).

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
This has to be the first time I've seen anyone complain about camping in this decade.
Don't goto the /r/ModernWarfare subreddit. It's a fucking shitshow.

e.g: someone tried to push that IW not wanting to be completely open about changes is basically the same as the holocaust.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
What's the issue with camping?
They are usually the most fun target to hunt down. Nothing feels better than sniping or backstabbing an unaware camper.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Camping is an exploit and just like most exploits it should be addressed.

"Git Gud" isn't really a valid counter argument. You can of course kill campers when you know they are there but when they're in your blind spot....
giphy.gif

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I camp all the time in between streaks. I like to win, I'm not going to run around like a chicken with their head cut off. Play smart, and if you get killed by a camper you have two options

Flank and kill them, or work your way around the outside of the map and kill their team mates.

Run the drone in MW and spot em for your more skilled team mates to take them out.

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
If everyone camped, nothing would happen. Some players are good sports and kind enough to actually move around so there actually is a game. Without that kindness and gesture of good faith, no one would win anything and the campers who mooch off that kindness would quickly lose interest in the game. Campers are essentially parasites (which sounds way harsh, but I'm genuinely struggling to think of a nicer way to describe their contribution to the game lol).
this has to be satire, i refuse to believe this post is serious

Village

Oct 25, 2017
If everyone camped, nothing would happen.
No, plenty of objective based game mods force you to move, and often in death count modes, you either need to find guns and spots to camp which put you in the line of fire. And if you found a place to kill fools... good job. Because they need to find you , to you kill you. Which games often alert people to your position post death, which often forces people to move. then you have shit like battle royals which the whole point is stopping and moving.

So no, plenty of things would happen if a map and a game mode is designed fine enough

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If campers were really a big problem on shooters, devs would balance their games to nerf this style of gameplay.

Not an huge multiplayer shooter player, but atleast on CS, just staying in the same place all the time is not viable maybe outside the lowest of lower matchmaking levels.

While on PUBG (And probably other BRs), staying in the same place for more than 3 minutes is the easiest way to kill yourself, unless it's the end end game where like 5 players survived at most.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
This reminds me of a friend who complained about heroes back in WC3. He went on tangents that heroes and leveling were just toxic in competitive RTS. He refused to understand that you can actually level your heroes at neutral camps as well lmao

Jul 26, 2018
I dont really camp, but if i get killed by one it's my fault for not checking corners. Period. Full stop.
The thing is even is you try to check corners, chances are you die instantly.. that's the problem.. especially in modern Warfare. Campers are prepared to shoot anything especially heads peeking from walls/doorways.

What's worse is that the game has visibility issue and if the corner is dark, chances are there's someone camping. It's all over Reddit.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone claiming camping is some exploit that deserves to be designed out of all shooters is 100% recently coming off some game where they died too much for just rushing around corners too quick and careless and defer their lack of skill and awareness to someone literally standing still.

Get good is right.

And in some games camping is 100% part of the strat. Siege is literally built around camping (and you have the tools to combat campers) and yet people still complain about camping.

Battlefield snipers and machine gunners benefit from camping and are easily countered. People still complain.

If you aren't careful around buildings and structures in Apex and other BR games that is on you.

In Halo you have grenades to pre-nade corners and rooms and modern halo games even gave you the crutch of grenade hitmarkers and yet people still complain.

A lot has changed over the years in FPS. Crybabies are eternal.

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The thing is even is you try to check corners, chances are you die instantly.. that's the problem.. especially in modern Warfare. Campers are prepared to shoot anything especially heads peeking from walls/doorways.

What's worse is that the game has visibility issue and if the corner is dark, chances are there's someone camping. It's all over Reddit.
why not use a grenade, then

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody is gonna come in here and say throwing is cheap in fighting games next.

I actually think the complaints about camping are similar to those that complain about those who have a turtle-style in fighting games. Justin Wong is probably the player best known for that style and it regularly pisses people off to see him play like that. But it's legitimate tactic and not some exploit that he's using. And when it comes to camping, if you've got a sniper role then the person playing that character or role should be able to camp. That's what snipers do.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

There's a lot of things on Reddit.

In CoD even if they get you, you just respawn and now you know where they are, also campers in CoD always get way less kills overall than someone running and gunning because those people are getting in way more encounters each match.

I actually think the complaints about camping are similar to those that complain about those who have a turtle-style in fighting games. Justin Wong is probably the player best known for that style and it regularly pisses people off to see him play like that. But it's legitimate tactic and not some exploit that he's using. And when it comes to camping, if you've got a sniper role then the person playing that character or role should be able to camp. That's what snipers do.

It's just the same type of scrubby complaining about a strategy they don't have a answer for, you see this in every competitive game.

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a weird fucking complaint. Idle warnings? Ridiculous. Games like Battlefield especially are essentially designed with camping as a strategy otherwise at least two classes would be next to worthless. I'm not sure I understand why the most recent Modern Warfare is getting a bunch of flack for it either, you could camp fairly easily in the original Modern Warfare and that was hailed as a masterpiece. So go figure I guess. This seems just like complaining about something you don't like

Now spawn camping? That shit should no longer be a problem and that's a real issue.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
This is something that has popped into my head again after playing a lot of Modern Warfare and Battlefield V.

It kind of boggles my mind that game developers haven't solved this issue by implementing some sort of warning for being idle for too long or discouraging camping with a penalty of some sort especially when it's a common problem in most FPS games.

I was wondering if Era had a similar feeling/thought to mine?
How has sprinting around jumping around corners furiously spraying from the hip not been addressed?

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Counter-Strike is basically Camping: The Game. And it's the best FPS ever made, so idk OP...

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
No, plenty of objective based game mods force you to move, and often in death count modes, you either need to find guns and spots to camp which put you in the line of fire. And if you found a place to kill fools... good job. Because they need to find you , to you kill you. Which games often alert people to your position post death, which often forces people to move. then you have shit like battle royals which the whole point is stopping and moving.

So no, plenty of things would happen if a map and a game mode is designed fine enough
That's a fair point, though for modes without built in objectives, where you can stay put for entire rounds, like traditional TDM or Free-for-All, run-n-gunners are necessary to drive the gameplay. There would be no interesting combat encounters without player movement. In these modes, camping is only a valid strategy as long as not everyone is doing it, which I think has interesting implications, but YMMV.

Oct 27, 2017
While it is a viable strategy it's lame. But it's made worse in MW as the game is built specifically towards this play style and it hurts the game heavily.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a good tactic in a particular game, then your beef is with the game and its developers, and not the players employing it. Maybe it was intended to be a viable tactic, and the developers think it adds some playstyle variety. If it's a bad tactic in a particular game, then you probably shouldn't worry about it, and just enjoy beating the players that use it.