• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
OP would hate Counter Strike lol
Standing still and watching corners is such a huge fucking part of that game.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
It helps people who aren't as good in fps games to get some kills. For the same reason "noob tubes" and some op weapons like the 725 are always in those games.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It really isn't an exploit. It's a strategy.

If it didn't have a counter, you would see high level players hindered by it (they're not).

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Because it's a legitimate strategy.

And in objective-based games, campers don't really contribute to the team anyway (unless they're a actually defending an objective).

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
Camping is an exploit and just like most exploits it should be addressed.

"Git Gud" isn't really a valid counter argument. You can of course kill campers when you know they are there but when they're in your blind spot....

Dude, they're on the same map you are. Unless they're like clipping into geometry, shooting you from out of bounds. That should definitely be addressed. If campers are consistently in your "blind spot" it might be larger than a spot.

FourSerioux

Nov 1, 2017
Campers are inherently predictable. What happens more often than not is people keep charging at campers the same way over and over, so it doesn't change and the camper gets his kills. Most games have tools that can be used to counter them, but people get stubborn in the setups they like and if their own setup isn't working for them they just get frustrated.

If you want to use MW as an example, there's so many tools at your disposal to counter campers dependent on where they are. Whether it's using smoke to cover from a sniper, explosives to flush people out, or flank with team mates.

There's generally ways to punish them, but people's stubbornness to change how they attack campers is the bigger problem in my view, and makes them see the game as the problem.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Multiple COD maps with four ways into each room addressed this exact issue, and it made for shitty maps.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I never really understanded the crying about camping. Except if its something like enemy spawn camping ala BF2. Besides like.. what can you really do about it? Have some weird as DoT if you stay still? Yeah I dont understabd the crying.

OP
OP
El_Chino

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a video I meant to share in the OP in regards to Modern Warfare that explains my frustration pretty clearly.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
What about it? Spawn killing is just not possible in Siege because there are no direct line of sight from building to spawn (the one map that had one, i.e. Kanal got changed even before the rewoek). Peeking a spawn exit is possible but it's a legit defense strategy and the reason it's legitimate is because it can be avoided as well as countered by attackers. There are only so many places someone can spawn peek from for a given exit and it's possible for even one man to watch it and counter it. It doesn't happen often but every time I do die to a spawn peek all I do is get mad at myself for not checking before running.

OP
OP
El_Chino

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry you can't check your corners and think you should know the position of enemies at all times. Don't play Rainbow Six Siege.
Keep attacking my skill without knowing me.

I stopped playing Siege, not because of camping but because of the common team killing in that game.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Why should you be entitled to your strategy of run and gun while they can't use theirs of holding down an area?

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Camping is only bad in CoD because of bad map design and low ttk, but even then, camping is super low efficiency.

Keep attacking my skill without knowing me.

I stopped playing Siege, not because of camping but because of the common team killing in that game.

If you're complaining about camping, your skill level probably isn't as high as you think it is.

Arcaenum

Nov 1, 2017
People who complain about other people's play styles are actually the worst. Instead of learning and trying to get better you just blame what someone else is doing and claim you have more skill than them because you don't do it, its actually crazy.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Is this tag bait tho? Like you can't tell me that someone who plays competitive online shooters really whines about "camp0rs" in the fucking year of our lord 2019. Nobody lacks so much self-awareness.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
camping as in spawn killing? or just staying in one spot? because the former is addressed by multiple spawn points, or team areas like in Overwatch. And the latter isn't really a problem, since you can overtake that person.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
Sounds like OP got killed by a camper.

I don't have a problem with camping though. It might be lame in something like Call of Duty, but if I have a good spot in a more tactical game like Squad or Red Orchestra / Rising Storm, you bet your ass I'm gonna camp there and rack up kills.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Spawn camping has been addressed in some games.

Camping as in choosing a spot on the map and turtling there is absolutely fine. You know where they are, you have the advantage.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Camping is an exploit and just like most exploits it should be addressed.

"Git Gud" isn't really a valid counter argument. You can of course kill campers when you know they are there but when they're in your blind spot....

LOL, even for camping you have to know the game and being kinda of good with it, either sniping, hiding etc. There is no such thing as 100% safe camping. I don't know exactly what you mean with the "blind spot" comment.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Camping isn't really an issue. If you get killed by a sniper holding down a lane then go around it next time and kill the sniper. Learn the map, don't step out in the open. If some dude wants to sit in and corner and shotgun people as they run through doors then throw a grenade in there. I really fail to see the issue.

It may not be a fun play style, especially if it's a long range map and everyone is just edge peeking with snipers, but it's not cheap.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OP, did you make this thread in reaction to any game in particular?

Cuz, like, Modern Warfare has a camping problem, and BFV was in a place not too long ago where camping with an MG and becoming one with the rubble was a genuine problem in many maps/modes...
...but that's just the pendulum swinging back from years of meat-grinder design in both franchises. A lot of major shooter franchises dealt with camping in ways that eventually led to those series feeling more and more rote to a non-insignificant segment of their playerbases.

Daeoc

Oct 27, 2017
MA
Just play better games. CoD and BF are largely run and gun or camp fests, games that you just jump in and shoot around.

Oct 28, 2017
I personally dont see the fun in running around the map. I like to post up and have a clear vision on where people are coming from. I never understood what people wanted from the "stop camping" cry. All your doing by running around is flipping the spawns and creating an inconsistent flow. I heard this over and over during my Halo 2 days, when Halo is all about map and weapon control. Sitting in one spot and monitoring one or two points is what war games like CoD should be about imo. Games like Overwatch solved this by forcing objectives and building maps around them. The games you want to have timers for sitting too long are just games that are not built for you.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a problem with camping though. It might be lame in something like Call of Duty, but if I have a good spot in a more tactical game like Squad or Red Orchestra / Rising Storm, you bet your ass I'm gonna camp there and rack up kills.
I really gotta reinstall Red Orchestra 2. That game was so fucking good.

Dlacy13g

Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
b1c.jpg
This ... I know many don't like campers and feel something needs to be done about them...but how you deal with them is you dispatch them in game. Once you determine someone is "camping" you have to deal with it...just like in real life if a platoon came upon a sniper they would have to deal with him/her or suffer the consequences.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Quoting your own post is kind of like forum camping. Just saying.

Daeoc

Oct 27, 2017
MA
All your doing by running around is flipping the spawns and creating an inconsistent flow. I heard this over and over during my Halo 2 days, when Halo is all about map and weapon control.
Running around in Halo was a great way to take advantage of the spawning system to spawn kill or force bad spawns. Once you got the hang of it, it became second nature and was part of the fun.. at least if you were the one taking advantage of it.