• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I know that feel OP. You'll suddenly want to buy random things that you wouldn't otherwise now that you can't. It's irritating as hell.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
I've spent several months without being able to have more than 10€ in my account and wallet combined. I'm thankful for Catholic food shelters.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
lol @ people taking this thread ultra seriously. Why can't I just make a fun thread about my weird feeling of not being able to buy food because I don't have a wallet?
It's simple. You're comparing your minor inconvenience to people's lifetime suffering/being born into a place where you cannot hope to lift yourself out of because of the desperate situation your existence is. You can understand why this might rub people the wrong way.

OP
OP
Nov 16, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory comparison.
Maybe frame the thread as a funny circumstance instead of positing "This must be how a POOR feels!"
Maybe if you're going to quote me, quote correctly. I said "GUESS this is how poor people feel consistently"

I never said "MUST". You can't even read my post properly, for someone being so hostile

Also, for those that can't comprehend the sentence:

Notice how I said 'CONSISTENTLY", this suggests that I'm imaging a scenario in which I forget my wallet all the time, which means I'm hungry ALL THE TIME. Is that not what poor people experience?

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
This is like a white person being given a fork at a a Chinese restaurant and thinking "this is what racism feels like"

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I left my wallet at home today, which means i have no cash and no way to pay anything at all. I am at work right now and don't know what to do for lunch other than awkwardly ask someone if they can lend me $10 bucks so I can eat. Furthermore I have no identification so I'm driving illegally I think and if I get pulled over I might be screwed? God forbid I get into an accident with no ID or insurance papers.

But going back to the money part, it's a weird feeling to want something as basic as food but not have the means to obtain it yourself. Guess this is what poor people feel consistently.

Venmo your coworker some cash

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Notice how I said 'CONSISTENTLY", this suggests that I'm imaging a scenario in which I forget my wallet all the time, which means I'm hungry ALL THE TIME. Is that not what poor people experience?
cgo060fgp4i31.png

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if you're going to quote me, quote correctly. I said "GUESS this is how poor people feel consistently"

I never said "MUST". You can't even read my post properly, for someone being so hostile

Guess this is what Devin Nunes and Jim Jordan feels consistently.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guess this is what poor people feel consistently.
Nope. You know you'll be able to pay your bills for instance. You have a car for instance. You know this will work out in a couple of days. This has a massive effect on emotions. You feel stressed in the short term but you don't for instance feel despair because you know you will shortly regain access to your money.

This post is extremely antagonistic in reply to someone calling you out for your ignorance due to your priveledge. Admit your ignorant uniformed guess was incorrect. Don't double down. And you know well that the use of "guess" in that context doesn't imply the primary dictionary defenition.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
This is where Apple Pay/samsung pay comes in handy because many restaurants virtually accept it

D23

Oct 25, 2017
wow.. been there OP but i have my wallet at the time.. i just simply don't have any money and that feeling sucks especially when i have my wallet with me. i didnt have my phone at the time though because i just couldnt afford to have one.. but if i had my phone i would just use my phone to purchase food online...

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
lol @ people taking this thread ultra seriously. Why can't I just make a fun thread about my weird feeling of not being able to buy food because I don't have a wallet?
You don't know this forum very well if you thought you could post a light hearted topic like this without being dogpiled.

Anyway if I were you I'd set up Google/Samsung/Apple pay on your phone in case it happens again, literally happened to me for the first time last week and I used my phone for the train and for lunch.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing how tone deaf OP is. You wanted a light hearted thread about a mistake we all can relate to while simultaneously stomping on the poor and destitute.

How about not mentioning the poor at all? Man some of you really need to think before you type.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
People make light-hearted threads all the time. "LOL I'M LIKE THE POORS" deserves scrutiny.
That's not how I interpreted it and the OP has said as much in subsequent posts. Seemed like a casual observation of how when suddenly you don't have access to something you usually consider trivial, it makes you think that there are people who literally don't have access to that ever. I don't know why people are assuming ill intent in OPs words.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The fact that you can't even admit that maybe you might have made a joke that didn't really land is astounding. Instead of going "sure I guess I can see how people might be taken aback by my phrasing" you decide to double down.

Whew. I'm always amazed at some people's total lack of self awareness.

OP
OP
Nov 16, 2017
Nope. You know you'll be able to pay your bills for instance. You have a car for instance. You know this will work out in a couple of days. This has a massive effect on emotions. You feel stressed in the short term but you don't for instance feel despair because you know you will shortly regain access to your money.

This post is extremely antagonistic in reply to someone calling you out for your ignorance due to your priveledge. Admit your ignorant uniformed guess was incorrect. Don't double down. And you know well that the use of "guess" in that context doesn't imply the primary dictionary defenition.
I will admit that my post was ignorant, as long as you guys admit that the hostility and pile on tactics of this forum is an issue. Not a lot of people like to be hounded by dozens of posters, the natural reaction being to double down.

I can be better. You can be better.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not how I interpreted it and the OP has said as much in subsequent posts. Seemed like a casual observation of how when suddenly you don't have access to something you usually consider trivial, it makes you think that there are people who literally don't have access to that ever. I don't know why people are assuming ill intent in OPs words.
No one is assuming ill intent from the original post. Rather the use of that sentence shows that the OP was very ignorant (though not malicious and so having no ill intent) about what it is like to be poor. People are calling that ignorance out. If OP admitted they were wrong that would be the end of it but they didn't and instead made a defensive and antagonistic post instead.

OP
OP
Nov 16, 2017
No one is assuming ill intent from the OP. Rather the use of that sentence shows OP is very ignorant (though not malicious and so having no ill intent) about what it is like to be poor. People are calling that ignorance out. If OP admitted they were wrong that would be the end of it but they didn't and instead made an defensive and antagonistic post instead.
See my earlier post. My post was ignorant and not malicious.

You guys piled on and brought the hostility into this thread

Yes I reacted to hostility with hostility. That's usually the natural reaction.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I will admit that my post was ignorant, as long as you guys admit that the hostility and pile on tactics of this forum is an issue. Not a lot of people like to be hounded by dozens of posters, the natural reaction being to double down.

I can be better. You can be better.
are you really trying to "both sides" this

EDIT: wow apparently they are lmao

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This seems unlikely to lead to productive discussion and is closed to further replies

Status
Not open for further replies.