• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Was thinking about this earlier today a lot of younger gamers born in the mid to late 90's (but not all of them.) or after that might never have played or owned a SEGA made console because by 2001 the company had stopped making consoles and went third party.

Sadly as a result of this, by some people SEGA is judged almost entirely on the Sonic The Hedgehog series, which is downright unfair, yes Sonic games have had varying quality since the series transitioned from 2D to 3D. The company makes and publishes a lot of really great games asides from Sonic.

Because of this and a reluctance to play older games from some people, we have groups who would freely take a dump on SEGA without ever having even tried the company's hardware, a great insult to one of gaming's most pioneering studios. Back in the day when arcades were still commonplace, SEGA's model 2 arcade system stood head and shoulders above the competition with it's technical wizardry.

In the home console market, SEGA created numerous incredible IPs and was home to one gaming's greatest minds Yu Suzuki a man who innovated many things technically and brought us Shenmue, which would lay the foundation for many fames to follow and point to the future of the industry. The Mega Drive/Genesis was a huge success with a library sock full of SEGA's own games and numerous memorable third party titles. These days SEGA has benefitted massively from the Yakuza series becoming much more popular in the west following the release of Yakuza Zero.

For my part in this, I try my best where possible introduce the younger generation to SEGA's creations both past and present, in fact I recently taught my nephew the basics of old school platforming by having him play Sonic The Hedgehog and Alex Kidd In Miracle World on the SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection. He found it challenging but was always keen on have another go, I was most proud of him and hope he has an appreciation for retro gaming as a result. Next time I shall introduce something different, maybe the Streets of Rage series, I could play co-op on Streets of Rage 2 (I'd play it any time given the chance) see what he thinks of that.

What do you think, ERA?

Last edited:

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Retro videogame enthusiasts will eventually end up discovering and playing SEGA consoles. For everyone else, it's simply inevitable that they won't. But I'll be damned if I won't sing their praises every chance I get.

That said, the vast majority simply won't care and that's alright.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Back then I honestly didn't like playing on Sega consoles. I remember asking my uncle if I can play this Sonic thing on my SNES.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
From what you read online, the Mega Drive outsold the SNES in the UK - and I was one of those people who had the former, along with a lot of my friends.

Sega certainly had a unique energy and I'll never forget just how much I wanted a Dreamcast. I used to go round my relatives to play Sonic Adventure and I was blown away.

Microsoft looked to be carrying the torch with the original Xbox, due in part to getting some great Sega games, but that's a totally different thing now.

They'll never make another console... but I'd be there day one if they did.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sega needs to do better about releasing their classic games, especially outside of the Genesis/Mega Drive. There are so many titles I've still not played from Sega and we're only getting tiny bits and pieces.

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
Playing their older consoles and games in unnecessary, as their best franchise, Yakuza, is stronger than ever before. It doesn't matter if you didn't play some crappy Sonic game in the early 90's anymore.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
Sega should make a streaming service with all their games so that kids of today can taste a bit of gaming history and people like me (who grew up with Sega) can play those classic games again for nostalgia..(Alex Kid, wonder boy.. and arcade classics of course).

Sega...

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I'm a SNES kid and I played Genesis occasionally on my friend's console but outside of Sonic the Genesis library by and large doesn't do a lot for me. I'm not going to insult it but I don't think it's some archive of secret great games. Some are good, some are alright, some are mediocre, not a lot I would say are great or among the greatest games of all time. Maybe I just don't "get it" but other systems I didn't grow up with, like the PlayStation, are immediately obvious in why they were so popular and celebrated. Genesis not as much. I certainly haven't played the entirety of the Genesis library but so far it hasn't blown me away.

Sonic 3 And Knuckles is definitely the console's masterpiece though and will be immortalized as one of gaming's best titles... which makes it all the more frustrating that it seemingly will never be rereleased.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm Mexican, Sega consoles were never a thing here so a lot of old gamers like me never owned one anyways.

Emulation and ports are a thing so it's not a big deal anyways.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
So what? Welcome to Capitalism. If Sega couldn't compete in the market, then Sega was right to leave the console market. But I do think Sega should bring their Console games to the market.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
From what you read online, the Mega Drive outsold the SNES in the UK - and I was one of those people who had the former, along with a lot of my friends.

Sega certainly had a unique energy and I'll never forget just how much I wanted a Dreamcast. I used to go round my relatives to play Sonic Adventure and I was blown away.

Microsoft looked to be carrying the torch with the original Xbox, due in part to getting some great Sega games, but that's a totally different thing now.

They'll never make another console... but I'd be there day one if they did.

Europe was definitely a stronghold for Sega, the Master System sold really well here, it even outsold the NES and the Mega Drive was hugely popular, pretty much everyone I knew growing up had one.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I owned Mega Drive as a kid but all I ever bought for it was licensed garbage with an odd non-licensed good game and an actually good licensed game here and there.

I properly discovered the Mega Drive library many years later, via emulation.

I wish someone had told kid Sander about Streets of Rage 2. Would have been a big ol' blast to play with my uncle.

Or Shinobi 3, for that matter

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The last Sega console I had was a Mega Drive, but I did like the way the graphics and sound of the games made them distinct from the SNES. Sega has always been Streets of Rage and Golden Axe to me rather than Sonic.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Europe was definitely a stronghold for Sega, the Master System sold really well here, it even outsold the NES and the Mega Drive was hugely popular, pretty much everyone I knew growing up had one.

I honestly did not know that. Basically no one I knew even cared about Sega. Maybe it just wasn't big in Germany? I dunno.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
i owned a Dreamcast but I sold it having never played it

8yUJlyr.gif

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Ristar's a cute little game but Sonic 2 and 3K cream it, imo. Ristar feels like a template that could have led to even greater sequels, but it sadly never came to pass.
I enjoy the core mechanic of Ristar more than Soniv's momentum based physics.

And I like Sonic's momentum based physics.

Can't disagree about the sequels we never got though. I wish a talented indie studio with love for that game would show up to get the license from SEGA.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Bigger tragedy is that they are not able to produce proper aaa games that are in sega roots. I like very much Yakuza series but it's more AA than AAA.

Last edited:

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
Incredibly hyperbolic language to call not owning some consoles / playing some games as a "tragedy" but yeah it sucks that a lot of cool games are missed out on because they're old or were on systems people didn't / won't ever own. Sega has done a solid job of bringing their classics to modern systems with Sega Ages and various collections and such, but you can only do so much to interest people in 20 to 30 year old games.
And I don't think it's a "reluctance" for people to not play old games, just that a lot of more casual folks aren't gonna seek out old games and "hardcore" gamers usually have dense backlogs that stop em from even thinking about playing "retro" titles outside of a few exceptions. The only reason I ever played Sonic 1 was cause I had it on my flip phone in like 2009

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I honestly didn't even know Sega made consoles until a few years ago, it's kind of a grey area you don't often hear about. I was a late 90s kid, and I don't know a single person who had a Sega console growing up, well because I didn't even know they existed. It was PS1s everywhere and the odd N64.

Even in modern times, I think one of the only Sega IPs I've enjoyed is Yakuza, and some of the older Super Monkey Ball games. I'm actually getting into retro gaming a lot more lately, but I still haven't even looked at any of Sega's systems. I guess there isn't really a lot there that interests me, and they've been pretty good with rereleasing their old games, so I haven't thought about it much.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I enjoy the core mechanic of Ristar more than Soniv's momentum based physics.

And I like Sonic's momentum based physics.

Can't disagree about the sequels we never got though. I wish a talented indie studio with love for that game would show up to get the license from SEGA.

Well I consider Sonic 2 and 3K some of the greatest platformers, and greatest games in general, of all time, so the fact that I don't think Ristar measures up to them is not a knock on Ristar. I've played hundreds of platformers and I enjoyed Ristar, but it didn't leave a particularly strong or lasting impression on me. I did think it ended a bit too early though; I remember getting to the last planet thinking I had a whole world left, and it turns out it was just the final boss.

I guess that's how I feel about most of the big Genesis titles (I haven't played the Phantasy Star series and that's something I intend to correct sooner than later). They're solid and well-made games but they don't leave a big impression on me. I don't think that's a nostalgia bias thing, I played games like Metal Gear Solid and Super Metroid decades after release and consider them masterpieces.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly didn't even know Sega made consoles until a few years ago, it's kind of a grey area you don't often hear about. I was a late 90s kid, and I don't know a single person who had a Sega console growing up, well because I didn't even know they existed. It was PS1s everywhere and the odd N64.

Even in modern times, I think one of the only Sega IPs I've enjoyed is Yakuza, and some of the older Super Monkey Ball games. I'm actually getting into retro gaming a lot more lately, but I still haven't even looked at any of Sega's systems. I guess there isn't really a lot there that interests me, and they've been pretty good with rereleasing their old games, so I haven't thought about it much.

What even is this post? Of course they've been terrible at releasing old games. I really don't think you know the whole output of what games Sega actually produced.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I never own a Sega console until I was a working adult. I didn't have much choice. When I was a kid and had to choose between Nintendo or Sega console, Nintendo was a no brainer. Everyone at school knew Mario. When my friends came to my place we wanted to play Mario Kart. I personally never anyone who had Sega console back then. Even the game store didn't have it on display.

Now I have disposable income, I've been collecting Sega consoles and games since 2009. The Saturn and DC have become my favorite consoles and I felt like many Sega games in 32 bit era hold up very well. Games like Virtual On, Daytona USA, Panzer Dragoon, Crazy Taxi, etc are still very fun to play today.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Even worse, OP. There is a generation or two that only recognize Sonic solely for his 3D efforts, and are totally ignorant of his 2D stuff when he was a fucking king that rivaled Mario.

Playing their older consoles and games in unnecessary, as their best franchise, Yakuza, is stronger than ever before. It doesn't matter if you didn't play some crappy Sonic game in the early 90's anymore.

Like this person here, for instance.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I had a Genesis and I still wouldn't recommend anyone to go back and play a Genesis.

I wouldn't really recommend anyone to go play a Nintendo 64, either. Hell, I don't think I'd even recommend an NES.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza wouldn't even make it to a Top 10 Sega Games list.

Sonic 3 And Knuckles
Streets of Rage 2
Virtua Fighter 2/4
Phantasy Star/Online
Jet Set Radio/Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Skies of Arcadia
Virtua Tennis
Daytona USA
Shenmue

Theres plenty of great games Sega that aren;t Sonic. Heck Sega probably made more Sonic games in the 2000s and 2010s than in the 90s. Owning a Sega console was like owning a home arcade. All their games were from Arcade roots.

Sega is first and foremost an Arcade developer , and undeniably the greatest Arcade game company of all time. I guess its an even bigger tragedy than an entire generation won't know what that was like.

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
This. It's a fond memory in the past OP but people aren't required to play a Genesis any more than an Atari or Commodore 64.

#letthepastdie
This sentiment would be much more poignant if half the gaming community wasn't waiting to see, with baited breath, which 20 year old game will be remade next and whether it will get 9s and 10s or only 8s and 7s.

So in an industry that subsists on ports, remasters and remakes, why should SEGA fans or people into old SEGA be the ones to let the past die?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The smell of new Sega hardware.

I have the following Sega arcade boards:

-Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
-Altered Beast
-Fantasy Zone
-Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder
-Wonder Boy
-Wonder Boy in Monster Land
-Wonder Boy III: Monster's Lair
-Aurail
-Shinobi
-SegaSonic Arcade
-Virtua Fighter 2

Additionally, I have a Sega STV with:
-Die Hard Arcade
-Virtua Fighter Remix
-Cotton 2
-Radiant Silvergun

and a Sega Lindbergh with:
-Virtua Fighter 5
-After Burner Climax

I want to put together an Outrun cabinet so badly, but don't have the space.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
The smell of new Sega hardware.

I have the following Sega arcade boards:

-Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
-Altered Beast
-Fantasy Zone
-Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder
-Wonder Boy
-Wonder Boy in Monster Land
-Wonder Boy III: Monster's Lair
-Aurail
-Shinobi
-SegaSonic Arcade
-Virtua Fighter 2

Additionally, I have a Sega STV with:
-Die Hard Arcade
-Virtua Fighter Remix
-Cotton 2
-Radiant Silvergun

and a Sega Lindbergh with:
-Virtua Fighter 5
-After Burner Climax

I want to put together an Outrun cabinet so badly, but don't have the space.

I really want the 3 screen version of F355 Challenge. That is my dream cabinet.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really want the 3 screen version of F355 Challenge. That is my dream cabinet.

I used to play this frequently, the one with the full cockpit you could go into and be surrounded by screens.

There is an arcade preservation society down the road from me which has a sit down space harrier cabinet, and a restored Hang-On machine as well. I also used to play the sit-down Afterburner cabinet and the deluxe rad mobile cabinet back in the day, I used to actually be nervous when I'd play it because people would crowd around and watch.

Nobody ever made arcade machines like Sega. Their games were half amusement park rides.