• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Victim Blaming Rhetoric
Why are people acting like Depp also being a victim and leaking evidence instantly absolves him magically and makes him not an abuser as well? This is very troubling.
Also why should Heard lose her job when he hasn't lost his and kept making Fantastic Beasts movies even before people knew how complicated the actual situation really is?

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
What does being put "on blast" entail?

Are you aware of Caroline Flack who was also a domestic abuser? She was hounded by the media and it seems to have played a part in her committing suicide.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people acting like Depp also being a victim and leaking evidence instantly absolves him magically and makes him not an abuser as well? This is very troubling.
Also why should Heard lose her job when he hasn't lost his and kept making Fantastic Beasts movies even before people knew how complicated the actual situation really is?

1) They had already shot Fantastic Beast when the OP-ED came out

2) He got fired from Disney

3) She lied about it for 4 years which completely makes her lose the benefit of the doubt

4) There is no proof he abused her, the police did not corroborate anything she provided, her lawsuit for Domestic Violence got dismissed with prejudice (she can never refile it)

You're gross.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
1) They had already shot Fantastic Beast when the OP-ED came out

2) He got fired from Disney

3) She lied about it for 4 years which completely makes lose the benefit of the doubt

4) There is no proof he abused her, the police did not corroborate anything she provided, her lawsuit for Domestic Violence got dismissed with prejudice (she can never refile it)

You're gross.
I mean, ok. There's a lot of info I didn't know there, there's no need for personal attacks.

Disney fires people for allegations, they also fired James Gunn and eventually hired him back. It's not an unrecoverable position especially if he wins the lawsuit.

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Are you aware of Caroline Flack who was also a domestic abuser? She was hounded by the media and it seems to have played a part in her committing suicide.

Depp is a heavy drinker and is known for suffering from depression, but the media had no issue going in on him hard when they thought that he'd been abusing Amber.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
because the audios, where he CONSTANTLY tries to defuse the situation, the reports when it happened about past partners of Depp saying he was never abusive, Amber actually being the abuser in another relationship, do not paint a good picture of her, while making it clear that Depp is the victim.
also, what Slaythe said about the timeline.
Where are the ethics, people?
grow up and stop trolling.

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Quote from Johnny

EPzzJcZXUAAaKiT

Imagine being put on blast because of lies.

INST

Nov 2, 2017

This didn't take long.

Oct 25, 2017
Expected it, tbh

Nice..

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Depp is a heavy drinker and is known for suffering from depression, but the media had no issue going in on him hard when they thought that he'd been abusing Amber.

Ok. So two wrongs don't make a right.

The media shouldn't have hounded him either.

Tabloid media is garbage and anyone out here wanting them to go at anyone with their pitchforks is not a good person.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
because the audios, where he CONSTANTLY tries to defuse the situation, the reports when it happened about past partners of Depp saying he was never abusive, Amber actually having an abuser in another relationship, do not paint a good picture of her, while making it clear that Depp is the victim.
also, what Slaythe said about the timeline.
I see.
Either way, I don't think a public defamation campaign is a good thing either way.
Didn't support it against Depp or support it against Amber, the whole thing is already being taken to court and I hope justice prevails.

This didn't take long.
Oh come on, I already said I didn't have all the info.
If that's not clear then sorry about my previous statement, I wasn't aware of a ton of info.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Nope

It's her own voice and words.

I've heard enough where I don't feel comfortable buying tickets or financially supporting any movie that woman is in.

I'm talking about national publications. This thread is about big media platforms and journalists shaming Heard, largely due to a leak from Depp's defamation lawsuit against her. It sounds like her, but neither parties are confirming or denying the tape, which coupled with the rest of this saga and the current social climate, gives little incentive for reputable journalists to come out strongly against her.

Random people discussing this situation will draw their own conclusions any way they prefer, as usual.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about national publications. This thread is about big media platforms and journalists shaming Heard, largely due to a leak from Depp's defamation lawsuit against her. It sounds like her, but neither parties are confirming or denying the tape, which coupled with the rest of this saga and the current social climate, gives little incentive for reputable journalists to come out strongly against her.

Random people discussing this situation will draw their own conclusions any way they prefer, as usual.
Didn't really stop media organization in Europe and Asia, even feminist ones.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm sure we're missing a lot of context that can make things like "What are you gonna do ? Go on stand and say I started the fights ? You're a man Johnny, go ahead and tell the world you were abused by a woman, nobody is gonna believe you" "I just get mad and lose it sometimes, I can't promise I won't get physical again" completely acceptable.

For anyone that wants to get a clearer idea of what's going on, here is a good article written by Tabetha Wallace.

medium.com

“If You Really Loved Me”: Johnny Depp & Amber Heard

We, as feminists, claim to be staunch allies to victims of domestic violence. That we must believe women when they say they feel abused…

7dc3b647f048d19cd1c43f896df0f523.png

Didn't really stop media organization in Europe and Asia, even feminist ones.

Bingo.

Even for people who don't speak french, I'm sure you can tell what kind of magazines these are just by their names !

https://www.madmoizelle.com/amber-heard-johnny-depp-violence-conjugale-1040129 (great article too about how statistics in those cases can cloud one's judgement, you can try google translating it)

www.elle.fr

Amber Heard violente envers Johnny Depp ? Un enregistrement relance l’affaire - Elle

Divorcés depuis trois ans et demi, Johnny Depp et Amber Heard se livrent depuis une bataille judiciaire sans merci. Dernier rebondissement en date : un enregistrement datant de 2015 a refait surface vendredi. On y entend la jeune femme admettre avoir « frappé » son mari de l’époque.

There were a lot more.

It's not treated as breaking news because the US medias dictate the entertainment news cycle, but nobody is defending Heard over this.

She was called an insult and danger for the entire movement she pretends to fight for, on national TV in the biggest french TV talk show.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I can really articulate my thoughts without coming across the wrong way, but I feel like this has to do solely with the fact that a man was exposed as the abuse victim of a woman rather than the abuser, and everybody's just too cowardly to take the right stand on it Because of what they think the implications are. So instead they say nothing, or even worse try to subtly justify or explain how it may not be what it seems.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. So two wrongs don't make a right.

The media shouldn't have hounded him either.

I don't think there should be an issue with sites reporting on and writers stories about people involved in domestic abuse or other crimes. You brought up Flack earlier, but these scenarios aren't the same. The Sun is one of the places people have pointed toward because they wrote so many trashy articles about her that once she committed suicide they started to delete them. Here's one example of that

No one in this thread that's being critical of the media for a lack of coverage wants ANYTHING like that being written about Heard. It serves no purpose other than being typical tabloid trash. What people want are simply articles and stories acknowledging the details we've learned. It'd also be a great time to talk about men who suffer from domestic abuse. In no way does that take away from women who're abused nor does it suggest that men are abused at the same rate. But any time stories like this come up it usually opens up dialog about similar stories, but the media are just choosing to ignore what happened to Depp altogether. A great reason to touch on it is also because Amber mocks Depp in one of the pieces of audio by suggesting no one will believe him because he's a big guy and she's just a small woman.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there should be an issue with sites reporting on and writers stories about people involved in domestic abuse or other crimes. You brought up Flack earlier, but these scenarios aren't the same. The Sun is one of the places people have pointed toward because they wrote so many trashy articles about her that once she committed suicide they started to delete them. Here's one example of that

No one in this thread that's being critical of the media for a lack of coverage wants ANYTHING like that being written about Heard. It serves no purpose other than being typical tabloid trash. What people want are simply articles and stories acknowledging the details we've learned. It'd also be a great time to talk about men who suffer from domestic abuse. In no way does that take away from women who're abused nor does it suggest that men are abused at the same rate. But any time stories like this come up it usually opens up dialog about similar stories, but the media are just choosing to ignore what happened to Depp altogether. A great reason to touch on it is also because Amber mocks Depp in one of the pieces of audio by suggesting no one will believe him because he's a big guy and she's just a small woman.

Ironically enough, The Sun is being sued next month for Defamation by Depp.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a lot of people are hypocrites. Even the ones who defend the right causes. Aggravated in this case because they would have to recognize their past mistake.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I don't know if this is true or not, but apparently, Amber's now trying to tie Johnny Depp to Harvey Weinstein, in which Johnny is filing a lawsuit against Amber for it. I'm just going off by the titles.

Link.

Link 2.

She just keeps making herself look worse.

Man, you need to just stop.

Oct 25, 2017
They could replace her in Aquaman 2 and no one would blink an eye or care at all.

In a film full of instantly recognizable faces, she was the one member of the main cast I didn't know. I only knew her name from the Depp stuff, and I only found out she played Mera from the discussion following the tapes leaking.

Oct 25, 2017
no

The tapes were part of the therapy sessions. They're both aware of them. His lawyer released them. There's been no secrecy about these tapes and who's on them.

And the defamation suit is against The Sun, not Heard.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

The tape painted a very clear picture of Heard gaslighting him, and blaming his preference for avoiding physical altercations for her violent rage. It's also pretty clear from the tape that she has no qualms about telling abuse stories that are outright untrue.
So it's not a Case of him magically not being an abuser. People now have reason to believe he was never abusive towards her

Last edited:

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
In the 2 pages of this thread, it isn't the celebrities that we need to go after... it seems like the media (media journalism?) is trash and needs to be taken outback to the dumpster?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW I have seen some reporting on the petition to get her kicked off the Aquaman sequel.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Not a fan of all the twisting into pretzels I'm seeing to justifying this person's abuse. But I guess folks don't wanna admit they were wrong about Depp so ignore this latest development. Media included.

Yup if they(media) brings it up than they're gonna have to take a good look in the mirror at themselves, and many of the author of those articles I bet were women.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
When push comes to shove, it's in their main interest to bury the story since it clashes with their narrative. It's fucking disgusting, but I've seen alot of the same behavior by alot of prominent activists as well. This whole ordeal has really just illustrated how full of shit people can be, even if they are "on your side".

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
We even had some mods here trash Johnny, without any evidence. It wasn't just the media, the dude was trashed everywhere. I hope it ends well for him in the end. He should at least have his role as Captain Jack back.

Johnny seems like a fucking treasure.

youtu.be

Johnny Depp as “Captain Jack Sparrow” sails into Vancouver to visit patients at BCCH [FULL VIDEO}

To learn more or to donate to support kids at BC Children's Hospital, visit bcchf.ca.Patients at BC Children’s Hospital were delighted by a visit today with ...

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see.
Either way, I don't think a public defamation campaign is a good thing either way.
Didn't support it against Depp or support it against Amber, the whole thing is already being taken to court and I hope justice prevails.
Weird, because you weren't able to "stand Johnny Depp anymore" not too long ago:
The first 3 were pretty good at the time, I remember watching them a bunch as a kid.
Can't really go back nowadays cause I can't stand Johnny Depp anymore.
I wonder why you haven't said something similar about Amber Heard but are advocating for her to keep her career instead. Wait nah, not really wondering.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because our society doesnt tolerate men who are victims, women who are victims are much more common and generate a lot more buzz. It would also mean that a lot of media outlets who prematurely "cancelled" Depp, would need to come out and rescind their stories and remarks, and thats a lot of pride for writers to swallow, to admit that they fucked up and didnt have the facts before they wrote their opinion pieces. Now that we know what happened, we need to re think the way society treats male victims, and putting someone on blast should be withheld until definitive evidence is presented. I would say multiple accounts of abuse/sexual assault from more than one victim would count as definitive proof as well.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Weird, because you weren't able to "stand Johnny Depp anymore" not too long ago:

I wonder why you haven't said something similar about Amber Heard but are advocating for her to keep her career instead. Wait nah, not really wondering.
Those two are completely unrelated sentiments. I dont enjoy Johnny Depp's acting as much now as I did as a teen. A lot of his affectations dont really do it for me anymore.
But that doesn't mean I think he shouldn't have a career.

And for what its worth I havent really liked Amber Heards acting in the one movie with her that I saw, Aquaman.

I already admitted to being wrong and coming into the thread with insufficient information which was clearly a mistake.
I am sorry.

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Didn't the details come from a leak by way of a still ongoing lawsuit? It's personal hearsay which is rather tricky to take a stand on, especially since it opens up publications to lawsuits.

Lengthy audio of Amber as the abuser saying to Johnny that no one will believe him is heresy? Wat?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
"Its okay because Amber Heard is a nobody that costarred in a billion dollar blockbuster"

Huh?

Also what if she was a nobody? What does that have to do with not believing the victim.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh come on, I already said I didn't have all the info.
If that's not clear then sorry about my previous statement, I wasn't aware of a ton of info.
didn't have all the info but you sure as hell came in here with the attitude that you know better. which is pretty much this forum to a degree.

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that time hundreds of producers and agents and actors and directors got away with molesting, harassing, and raping Hollywood talent for like a hundred years and nobody in journalism decided to really expose it until like two years ago?

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't fit the trending narrative. Plus they would all have to eat crow with the way they put Depp on blast. Better for them to bury it.

Yes it is disgusting.