• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's really fucked up the details that came out about what Heard did to Drop and then basically framed him and hid behind the "MeToo" guise of protection, and it's just as fucked up that no entertainment journalists worth their salt have talked about this or pursued it. Only small bloggers and outlets even seem to mention this. It should be a way bigger story than it is.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it would involve admitting they were wrong, for one. Which is a big enough problem, but the bigger problem is that it opens the door to the fuckwits who are just positive that there are "plenty of stories like this" (but they don't know any of them) where some poor man is actually being abused by some lying harlot.

I'm actually not as surprised by the people NOT reporting as I am of certain media outlets trying to justify Depp being abused and how that was just a tool Heard used for survival, which is a real thing that I read a few days back.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'd have to call themselves out on their shitty pitchfork mob behaviour and not do it anymore. But they want to keep doing it.

Oct 25, 2017
well you know in our culture now that needs instant takes and sides to back and whatnot, the whole story got WAY more complicated than was initially reported. And once things get complicated people kind of tune out and media have to put way more effort into the story

Not to say that I don't believe she's an abuser, but I mean look at the ERA breaking news thread about it, that OP was long and most media isn't going to put in the effort to explain something like that. It was much simpler when "Johnny Depp is a woman-beater!"

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's still this stigma in the media that men can't be abused by women, or that it doesn't pull in as much attention as when the situation is reversed. Also, Amber Heard is a nobody as was mentioned. That has a lot to do with it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Male abuse victims are still dismissed. Many of the people defending Amber still are playing up the fact she is much smaller, he is stronger, so she can't be an abuser.

It's disgusting, hypocritical, and really sad.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The lead woman in a movie that grossed 1.1 billion worldwide is according to Era apparently a nobody. Hmm.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Male abuse victims are still dismissed. Many of the people defending Amber still are playing up the fact she is much smaller, he is stronger, so she can't be an abuser.

It's disgusting, hypocritical, and really sad.
Despite this having truth in it I think the bigger deal is that she abused a movement devoted to giving abused women a voice.

It's people like Amber Heard that will set it all back because people will, somewhat justifiably, point to this case when they want to cast doubt on women.

She deserves shame for the abuse of course but I think the internet/justice system should do a better job at holding people like this accountable.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
she was the main character of a movie that released in January which flopped hard. it's relative.

Relative how? They don't really cancel each other out and turn her from A-lister to Amber Who in 12 months, especially since I assume she's on track for appearing in AM2?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The lead woman in a movie that grossed 1.1 billion worldwide is according to Era apparently a nobody. Hmm.

Go look at her filmography. She hasn't done a damn thing that was noteworthy until Aquaman. Just because you're the lead co-star of a billion dollar movie doesn't automatically make you a hot commodity. If that were the case, Sam Worthington should've been the next Tom Cruise after Avatar.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
she was the main character of a movie that released in January which flopped hard. it's relative.
Poor Robert Downey Jr.
All that hardwork through the years and now he's a nobody as well. Thanks a lot Dolittle, now the poor guy has to start from scratch.

Everybody knows who Johnny Depp is, therefore everyone knows who Amber Heard is. And even the ones who didnt, they found out quick after she made the accusations back in 2017.
Excusing the lack of journalism on her "clout" is embarassing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Despite this having truth in it I think the bigger deal is that she abused a movement devoted to giving abused women a voice.

It's people like Amber Heard that will set it all back because people will, somewhat justifiably, point to this case when they want to cast doubt on women.
Another facet of Amber's abuse. Not sure I can say worse, I wouldn't want to make it a contest between the movement and the specific life she ruined... but I can agree it's despicable too.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Poor Robert Downey Jr.
All that hardwork through the years and now he's a nobody as well. Thanks a lot Dolittle, now the poor guy has to start from scratch.

Everybody knows who Johnny Depp is, therefore everyone knows who Amber Heard is. And even the ones who didnt, they found out quick after she made the accusations back in 2017.
Excusing the lack of journalism on her "clout" is embarassing.
They weren't excusing it, they were suggesting it was a reason.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Relative how? They don't really cancel each other out and turn her from A-lister to Amber Who in 12 months, especially since I assume she's on track for appearing in AM2?

People aren't flocking to the theater to watch her. They're going to watch a blockbuster superhero film. You could replace most of these people and it might do the same. She aint carrying anything on her own...except a bag of lies.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 weeks): inflammatory comparisons over a series of posts
This thread reads a lot like something familiar from the past. 'It's a failure of journalism'?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Agree to disagree I guess, if by "hot commodity" you mean that your domestic abuse case deserves attention in the media when new info comes to light.

We're talking about the media. There's a much larger chance that the new information would get the coverage it deserves if it were a more well-known actress.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
It's really fucked up the details that came out about what Heard did to Drop and then basically framed him and hid behind the "MeToo" guise of protection, and it's just as fucked up that no entertainment journalists worth their salt have talked about this or pursued it. Only small bloggers and outlets even seem to mention this. It should be a way bigger story than it is.

Didn't the details come from a leak by way of a still ongoing lawsuit? It's personal hearsay which is rather tricky to take a stand on, especially since it opens up publications to lawsuits.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the details come from a leak by way of a still ongoing lawsuit? It's personal hearsay which is rather tricky to take a stand on, especially since it opens up publications to lawsuits.
nothing really happened to whoever leaked it, it seems, nor the publications who ran with them. also, not hearsay. the audio's are really clear.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Hell, even a lot of the folks on Era who gleefully ripped Depp a new one just slinked off once the truth came out.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
The tape audio paints a very clear picture.
This sure and hell not goddamn hearsay
nothing really happened to whoever leaked it, it seems, nor the publications who ran with them. also, not hearsay. the audio's are really clear.

From the position of a national brand that can't independently verify a leak, it is hearsay. That's an important consideration when asking why more publications aren't talking about it, and why it's mostly tabloids and a bunch of people talking among themselves driving the discussion.

I'm sure the major platforms reached out to both parties for comment/verification, and neither talk about it because it's supposed to be a confidential lawsuit.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
She has been put on blast on Europe and Asia.

Johnny Depp's lawyer said "more tapes will implicate media people". So basically they're not reporting on it because things are going to look rough for them.

And it's just America.

Heard was trashed in France's biggest talk shows and feminists websites, a big German outlet just published an article calling her "a dangerous and shameful example for women" etc...

Right or wrong, that kind of reporting would garner very little interest by the mainstream.

Excuse me ?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not a fan of all the twisting into pretzels I'm seeing to justifying this person's abuse. But I guess folks don't wanna admit they were wrong about Depp so ignore this latest development. Media included.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Hell, even a lot of the folks on Era who gleefully ripped Depp a new one just slinked off once the truth came out.
Once they couldn't both sides the situation they vanished.
Even this thread is filled with is Depp cool again and and Heard is a nobody so it's not getting attention.

Not really surprised it's not getting attention though, people don't like to admit they're wrong and I guess the media would look bad attacking Heard.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Putting someone on blast won't prove anything I suggest Hollywood adopt suspensions like regular work places, or sport worlds, some form of punishment is good obviously Hollywood is a different animal.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Johnny Depp got a new tattoo btw

EQ_u10mWsAAlURx

"Evidence speaks for itself".

edit :

Also a very relevant quote of his

4ce8d8557248bc402dada1d449eaf711.png