• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 28, 2018
Lately, I've been ruminating on some of the more recent SEGA releases and announcements and I feel there has been a pretty huge shift within the company in the last few years.

I think this shift may have begun with Haruki Satomi, who became president of SEGA in 2015 and expressed a desire to get SEGA back on track. Since then I have noticed a change within the company. A willingness to greenlight more classic IPs, to accept outside developers who can do justice to their unused IPs and they themselves bringing back classics, quality over quantity and SEGA West stepping up on the localisation front.

I'd first like to discuss legacy IPs being worked on by indie devs:

I believe the first evidence we saw of a tone shift within the company towards their older ways was the greenlighting of Sonic Mania. I thought the days of Sonic games like Sonic Mania were long gone. While I did enjoy the odd few Sonic games like Colours and Generations they never captured the pure joy that I associated with the Sonic games of my youth...

I also want to mention one of the best games I have played in many years, a spiritual successor to Wonderboy, 'Monsterboy' - It's phenomenal! it plays like a dream... If you love Metroidvania, of you love Zelda... Certainly if you love Wonderboy I beg you to give this game a go, the developers deserve it!

Another classic SEGA game I thought I would never see again was Streets of Rage... And again, I think the right team are bringing Streets of Rage 4. I personally love the design, it plays like classic Streets of Rage and, importantly, they have managed to get a load of great composers on the soundtrack, including Yuzo Koshiro... Incredible news.

PanzerDragoon, too! Panzer Dragoon Remake and Panzer Dragoon Zwei Remake are both in development. And of course, we can't forget Shenmue 3!

Now for classic IP's being resurrected within the company:

Let's begin with the series that spent the shortest time looking like it had been resigned to the annals of history, Valkyria Chronicles. Unfortunately, because of poor sales, I would not be surprised if Valkyria Chronicles 4 is the final game in this series. It's an excellent strategy game and well worth your time if strategy RPGs are your bag.

Another series revival that was announced quite recently was Shin Sakura Wars. It looks to have quite a high budget and all-round looks very good. The move from turn-based strategy to action RPG is a bit jarring, but battles take aback seat in this series anyway. It's not a series I know a whole lot about but it is one I am interested in:

Super Monkey Ball! Is returning with a HD remaster. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Biltz is admittedly not the game I would've chosen for a reboot, but I can understand why they went with this one for a Switch exclusive:

Announced today, Project Diva is coming to Switch! Admittedly I don't know much about this series but I know it is quite beloved and had not seen a new game for a few years now leading many to suspect SEGA was finished with the IP:

Furthermore, some really exciting news:
Veteran Sega designer Yu Suzuki has suggested he could be in discussions to return to his classic series Virtua Fighter and OutRun.
www.videogameschronicle.com

Yu Suzuki says he could return to Virtua Fighter and Out Run | VGC

“There might be something”…

It wasn't long ago that I felt we would never see another Yakuza game in the West again... Thank God SEGA gave it another go, and thank God SEGA fans rallied pushed hard to get this game noticed because now we have every mainline Yakuza game available on the PS4, many of them coming to the PC, excellent Spin-offs like Fist of the North Star and Judgement! I no longer worry about localisation, the SEGA of America guys are timely and great at what they do, often going above and beyond with their localisation efforts. Judgement was particularly noteworthy! Even Yakuza Ishin is under consideration!

Furthermore, according to a recent interview, SEGA of Japan was very happy with Judgements sales in the West and are considering turning it into a series... Which would be great considering Yakuza 7's departure from brawler combat.

There was a dark time, not that long ago when we had not seen a Puyo Puyo game released in the west since Puyo Pop Fever in 2005... Then this absolute gem, Puyo Puoy Tetris dropped!

Phantasy Star Online 2
, now there's a ship I thought had long sailed... A relic from the dark days and is finally coming West thanks to Microsoft! I love PSO2, or I did when I played it years back but the amount of faffing just to play on the Japanese server made it a ballache, so when I changed laptop I never went through the process again.

The Megadrive Mini/Classic Games:

It's 2019, SEGA is releasing a new console and it comes with 42 games! What a time to be alive! Not just that, this may be the best 'mini console' of the lot... The build quality is great and they have the excellent M2 on emulation duty.

Speaking of SEGA Classics and M2, often the definitive version of MANY SEGA classics are slowly but surely releasing on the Switch under the SEGA AGES brand... Plenty worth checking out for classic SEGA fans.

SEGA Europe:

It would be a crime not to mention SEGA Europe. They may not make the kind of games that old school SEGA fans associate with the SEGA brand. But they are nonetheless excellent games. Creative Assemblies Alien Isolation and Total War series. Relics Company of Heroes and Dawn of war, Amplitudes Endless series, Sports Interactives Football Manager and Two Point Studios Two Point Hospital...

Friendly reminder that Alien Isolation is coming to Switch this year!

Atlus
:

Lastly, we can't forget to talk about Atlus, they're under the SEGA umbrella and they've made some excellent games that I believe resonate with classic SEGA fans. Persona and Catherine especially remind of the wacky kind of games that were at home on the SEGA Dreamcast. Both companies are now intwined and have benefitted from each other. SEGA has benefitted from Atlus' excellent localisation know-how and Atlus has benefitted from SEGA of Europe... With new Atlus games now coming out in a more timely manner in Europe.

With Persona 5: Royal, Persona 5: Scramble, Catherine Full Body, 13 Sentinal, Shin Megami Tensai Switch, Etrain Odyssey Next and a mysterious game known as Project Re: Fantasy all in the works Atlus fans have a lot to look forward too!

Conclusion:
So all in all, as an old school SEGA fan... I got to say I am really quite happy with the company. I think they're one of the best 3rd party publishers this generation, too. They've released a lot of great quality games at bargain prices and have not strayed into the seedy realm of gambling, micro-transactions or loot boxes. So, yeah... I'm pretty happy!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Aha, I said this a few months back only to be reminded of mainline Sonic.

... So it's a great time to be a Sega fan / has been a great couple of years if you're not too attached to Sonic :P

Or played Valkyria Revolution and are worried about Sakura Wars.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly they have been good, but only carried by Yakuza team and Atlus for me personally. Other than these 2, I haven't been liking their output this gen.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

... So it's a great time to be a Sega fan if you're not too attached to Sonic :P

Or played Valkyria Revolution and are worried about Sakura Wars.

Basically, I honestly think Sonic Forces is the worst mainline Sonic ever.

On the other hand we did get Sonic Mania, but I'm worried that's a one time thing.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
Imagine if they had their own console to put all these games on.
Please no, fuck off with this sentiment right now. I don't wanna be dropping $300+ bucks just to be playing future Sega games.

As for how Sega is doing, i agree OP, they've been having a kick-ass couple years and I'm excited for a Sonic Mania sequel hopefully very soon.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Japanese devs (Capcom, Sega, Square Enix, SNK etc.) have had a nice return to form this gen.

It's great to see.

Oct 26, 2017
SEGA Europe output is by far better than SEGA JP output, Sonic Mania and Yakuza are the only stand out titles from SEGA JP, they need to get their shit together.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing I'm really that hyped for.

Really not a fan of the SoR4 art style, indifferent on the PD look and Sakura Wars combat. We'll see how they go.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Hopefully Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD does great, because getting a new one would be fantastic. SEGA needs an arcade racer too, Team Sonic Racing is sweet but I'd rather have them make a new Outrun. And give me another good 3D Sonic, c'mon literally just copy Generations and put new levels, idc.

jet set radio too pls cmon

OP
OP
The Anonymous Wizard
Sep 28, 2018

... So it's a great time to be a Sega fan / has been a great couple of years if you're not too attached to Sonic :P

To me, Sonic Mania IS the mainline Sonic series now! I don't even feel like I have to care if they release crap like Forces because we've got good old Sonic back!

That said I do believe Sonic can work in 3D, I just do not believe Sonic Team are the developers for the job... They don't even seem to want to try bringing the principles of 2D Sonic into a 3D game... Instant speed and canned loop animations are the opposite of the physics playground that made classic Sonic so damn good.

Personally, I am happier without it. Frankly, I would be happier if there weren't exclusive games on any console... If Sony, or Nintendo, or Microsoft went 3rd party I would not be sad... Less consoles to buy!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't exactly firing on all cylinders and they still make bonkers decisions on a regular basis but there is a lot to like right now with their current output. External teams are helping prop up the brand quite a bit as well.

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
Great? Do you remember their output during the Dreamcast era and before? Now that was great. In comparison their current activity is decent at best.

PanzerDragoon, too! Panzer Dragoon Remake and Panzer Dragoon Zwei Remake are both in development. And of course, we can't forget Shenmue 3!
They can't even publish those, for Pete's sake.

Phantasy Star Online 2, now there's a ship I thought had long sailed... A relic from the dark days and is finally coming West thanks to Microsoft! I love PSO2, or I did when I played it years back but the amount of faffing just to play on the Japanese server made it a ballache, so when I changed laptop I never went through the process again.
Let's hold our horses until this game is in our hands. I'm afraid Sega will find a way to botch this and get it shelved again.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Yep they are the best position they have ever been in a post 2000 era which is not saying much. It feels so good to see them climb their way out of the dark ages especially for us Sega fans. Already supporting yakuza and cant wait for shenmue 3, Panzer dragoon, and sakura wars.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
As a Sega fan since childhood, it's been good to see them become more relevant again over the past few years. They've been putting out some rad stuff. And I legit can't wait for the new Sakura Wars and Shenmue 3 (if that counts).

Now they just need to get back into the hardware race. I'm thinking Dreamcast 2 with Shenmue IV, Power Stone 3 and a new Jet Set Radio at launch.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say, it's kind of a pretty decent time, probably the best since the darkest days of the Sega-Sammy merging, and that dreadful, horrible last gen.
At least we get localized Yakuza games more frequently than ever and an ambitious revival like Shin Sakura Taisen.
I guess that the fact that they finally opened up about using their vault of countless forgotten ips in some way it's pretty positive, even though i'm not happy about no-name tiny western indie studio handling glorious, historical series.
Overall, while the golden age of Sega is long over and unrepeatable, there's at least some promise and hope for us fans to look forward to, especially now that they officially started shifting resources from mobile gaming to traditional home console again after about 15 years or so.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
You say it's a good time to be a SEGA fan yet I don't see new games from Ecco the Dolphin or Virtua Fighter.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Don't forget a new House of the Dead which came out of nowhere and is by all accounts amazing. Too bad it's arcade exclusive for now.

Being a Sega fan has been okay, IMO. Not great. They're paying more attention to their older franchises, or at least, letting others pay attention to them, but they don't seem to ever have much of a budget and usually lack a lot of polish.

Still I'm hyped because they at least appear to be heading in the right direction and working with the right people. And they keep making Puyo games, so I won't complain. Maybe give us a Puyo Tetris 2?

OP
OP
The Anonymous Wizard
Sep 28, 2018
Great? Do you remember their output during the Dreamcast era and before? Now that was great. In comparison their current activity is decent at best.

They can't even publish those, for Pete's sake.

Let's hold our horses until this game is in our hands. I'm afraid Sega will find a way to botch this and get it shelved again.

I said it's a great time to be a SEGA fan... Not to be SEGA.

Although I am pretty damn happy with their output and I remember the DC day well enough.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say, it's kind of a pretty decent time, probably the best since the darkest days of the Sega-Sammy merging, and that dreadful, horrible last gen.

I'd take Sega's output last gen over this gen easily. Last gen they had a new original Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 5 (and later Final Showdown), Virtual On Force (JP only), the Platinum Games stuff (Bayo, Vanquish, Anarchy Reigns), ports of stuff like After Burner Climax and Outrun Online Arcade. the original Valkyria Chronicles, a shitton of online playable Model 2 ports. The Sega Vintage Collection line, on top of continuing output like Yakuza (and that team even had a non-Yakuza related IP in Binary Domain). They even had some actual competent 3D Sonic releases in Colors and Generations (and to an extent Unleashed, which was fucking beatiful at the time with its new dedicated engine).

Sega today is better than the very end of last gen, and the sad start of this gen... but they actually put out a shitload of good stuff last gen overall. Even in situations where they had notable misses, they by and large were still trying to operate in the AAA space with the type of output that gained them their following in the first place. Nowadays it feels like Yakuza vacuums up basically any real budget on the JP side and everything else is seen as better to let others take the risk on (and so gets budgeted accordingly). There's practically nothing they're putting out today outside of Yakuza (and now Sakura Wars) that shows even the level of commitment of a NiGHTS Journey of Dreams.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
SEGA's doing pretty alright right now. The new Mario and Sonic looks great, Yakuza will be as good as ever I'm sure, Sakura Wars will be solid, and whilst I'm not excited for Banana Blitz HD, Monkey Ball is back and this a chance to get the series back on track, their new IP isn't my thing but I'm glad it exists. Streets of Rage 4 and Panzer Dragoon look phenomenal, and I for one hope Shenmue 3 delivers.

I'm also very confident that Evening Star is working on a sequel to Sonic Mania, but that's still pretty far out from release.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I fully agree. If you were a SEGA fan in the 90s, the recent landscape has been incredible. I could care less if SEGA is publishing games like Monster Boy, ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove, Shenmue III and Streets of Rage 4. I could not be happier all these games actually exist in the state that they do.

Panzer Dragoon remake looks really spotty though and I am kinda furious Virtua Fighter remains MIA, but that is all I can really complain about honestly. Well that and I wish the ports were coming out at a faster clip, I guess.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
2_Mega_Sg_Hero_2.0.jpg

Don't forget this!

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
This is all well and good, but goddammit where is Samba de Amigo VR???!!! I need my maraca action taken to the next level.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I've been buying more Sega stuff lately. Makes me wish I was alive to play the arcade games in their prime. I probably would have bought a Saturn lol

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
phew - fantastic OP! id been saying forever now that last gen was sega's finest output since the dreamcast, and there's lots to love that you covered there too. i'd add Toejam & Earl: Back in the Groove, as it really was a return to greatness for the series

loving the wonder boy series returning, can't wait for Panzer revival. still not really eyeying an xbox but PSO 2 has me admittedly curious

as one of the few hundred people who'd actually throw $300 at such a device: go onnnnn