• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jac_Solar

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes you get wrapped up in a bubble and feel like the world is pretty small, and I find that pretty comforting. It gives me a feeling of being in control. A common example of this is running into an old friend or acquaintance a couple of times in a row, and thinking "Hey, it's a small world!".

But what about the times when the world felt really big? What gave you the feeling that the world is actually insanely big? The internet is obviously huge, and we use it every day, but most of us probably only surf a few select sites, and it's hard to actually get a sense of its scale. It's one thing to know that there are almost 8 billion people in the world doing things, but it's such an insane amount that it's hard for me to wrap my head around it, and actually get a sense of it.

My example is when I came across some sort of research site, with seemingly hundreds of thousands of documents about specific subjects. I don't remember exactly what the site was, but it was something like this, https://www.epo.org/index.html but with a directory of sorts that really gave me a sense of the absurd size of it.

It just made the world feel so big. Like, there are fields of study and interest that people have written about and researched for hundreds of thousands of hours that I don't know anything about.

It can be also be pretty jarring (But awesome!) when I come across a great game or movie that is well known, yet I had never even heard about it before.

So, do you have any examples like this?

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
We talking about actual physical size? Usually: Staring up at night for minutes, seeing the stars, moon, it's super humbling.

Also, personally, doing a lot of vacations over all of Europe as a kid for setting the stage to be aware there's way more and way different places even comparatively nearby, and then attending my first flight around the actual half of the entire planet was something else. Just hours and hours of water and clouds.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
For me it was when I volunteered abroad in Costa Rica and Nicaragua shortly after finishing university a decade ago. I had gone travelling to different places before but the culture and environment was so different to what I was used to.

One part of a coast to coast walk I was doing in Costa Rica took several days to get through jungle (With a guide, who could easily manage the walk in about 30 minutes! He was good, we were just slow and struggled) and going through what felt like endless mud and ended up in a village in a clearing. Feeling an actual wooden floor felt like such bliss and made me appreciate how comparatively easy I have it now.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
It's not far from where I am in Europe to my family back in Scotland, a 2 hour flight so never really felt that far from home. Now we have COVID and I haven't seen family or friends for a year I feel a million miles away.

Also the first time I went to Australia and New Zealand and realised just how remote New Zealand is compared to everywhere else I had ever been.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Learning a language
Looking out a plane window
Reading anything about Siberia
Climbing a mountain

Nov 18, 2020
Personally I have always been mindblown on how small the Earth is. Like we are on a small little island, a tiny blue marble in a vast infinite cosmos. Eight billion humans in a little bubble.

These are the kinds of images that blow my mind:

Every dot you see here, even the faintest, fuzziest gray area, is a galaxy with 100+ billion stars and countless lifeforms.

image.png

There are 10,000 galaxies in this image alone spanning nearly 13 billion lightyears.

This image covers 11 square arcminutes, equal to 1/26,000,000th the total area of the night sky. An infinitely small pinpoint that contains 1 quadrillion stars.

Or this image, that represents the total impact of humanity across the cosmos:

image.png

All of humanity's dreams, ambitions, and accomplishments relegated to one tiny blip in a vast galaxy, out of one tiny galaxy in a vast cosmos.

The scale is unfathomable for humanity to comprehend so we reduce it into what we can understand. Earth is a big world with infinite complexities, but it is also infinitely small and fragile.

I don't know. It's made me very curious about the afterlife lately. We spend infinity in one state, then we are a human for a brief point in time in a little bubble, and then we spend infinity in another state. It's so fascinating when you think about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jac_Solar

Jac_Solar

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I have always been mindblown on how small the Earth is. Like we are on a small little island, a tiny blue marble in a vast infinite cosmos. Eight billion humans in a little bubble.

These are the kinds of images the blow my mind:

Every dot you see here, even the faintest, fuzziest gray area, is a galaxy with a 100+ billion stars and countless lifeforms.

image.png

There are 10,000 galaxies in this image alone spanning nearly 13 billion lightyears.

This image covers 11 square arcminutes, equal to 1/26,000,000th the total area of the night sky. An infinitely small pinpoint that contains 1 quadrillion stars.

image.png

All of humanity's dreams, ambitions, and accomplishments relegated to one tiny blip in a vast galaxy, out of one tiny galaxy in a vast cosmos.

The scale is unfathomable for humanity to comprehend so we reduce it into what we can understand. Earth is a big world with infinite complexities, but it is also infinitely small and fragile.

I don't know. It's made me very curious about the afterlife lately. We spend infinity in one state, then we are a human for a brief blip in time in a little bubble, and then we spend infinity in another state. It's so fascinating when you think about it.

I love this post. It's so hard to understand this scale, but sometimes when I read or think about it, the true scale hits me for like a millisecond, and I'm filled with awe/dread.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
and then attending my first flight around the actual half of the entire planet was something else. Just hours and hours of water and clouds.
I actually have the opposite thing. When traveling point-to-point, I'm always stunned by how physically small the world is, in a single-dimensional sense. It just seems like there couldn't possibly be as much stuff as there is crammed into such short distances.

I really started to get this impression strongly when I began cycling. It's difficult for most people to travel far or fast on foot, so walking or running is a difficult way to gauge the scale of the Earth. And in a car, everything just effortlessly flies by; you know you're traveling long distances, but it has little meaning.
If I were to hop on my bicycle tomorrow morning, and ride 100 miles somewhere, the shape of the ride if traced out on the Earth's surface could be pretty clearly visible from space. And while I'd be sore afterwards, there's a certain tangibility to actually doing that mileage that makes it seem very small, compared with the vaguely-large-scale impression that people tend to get when you say you "travel 100 miles" or whatever.

Somehow, despite my math background, it's sometimes hard for me to feel the quadratic scaling that makes it work. That a square mile contains so much more than what you see, at least up close, by riding a mile; and that a 10-mile-by-10-mile area contains one hundred times as much as one square mile.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
The ocean at night. With that quiet dark roar of midnight waves you sometimes get that small glimpse of your life as the speck of dust at the rim of a pool. The tiniest ripple and you're gone without consequence.

My most reoccurring dream is standing on a beach facing a mile high wave. Being imperceptibly swallowed by the void.

Last edited:

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Let this one sink in: if you could shrink the Sun until it was the size of a human white blood cell, the milky way would be about the size of the US.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

These are the kinds of images that blow my mind:

Every dot you see here, even the faintest, fuzziest gray area, is a galaxy with a 100+ billion stars and countless lifeforms.

image.png

image.png

I don't know. It's made me very curious about the afterlife lately. We spend infinity in one state, then we are a human for a brief point in time in a little bubble, and then we spend infinity in another state. It's so fascinating when you think about it.
I need to rewatch some Carl Sagan after seeing these images...

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Every time I hear how many countries there are and it's like wow, how many are there that no one has ever been to or that we haven't even found yet?

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Sometimes traffic blows my mind. When I just see bumper to bumper hundreds of cars stuck somewhere at one particular moment, then think about how many other congested areas of traffic there are, or less congested, or how many people are in parking lots, then how many people's cars are still at home, and all the people without cars, then I consider how small my city is relatively compared to big cities, etc. Then I start thinking about how fucking crazy it is we're in this indicate metal framed engines with assorted fuels and technological additions and fabrics and different oil coatings and finishes and paints and rubbers and plastics etc.

Driving will always be just fucking crazy to me.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
When I went to Spain and Italy it was a small shock, like how department stores still exist and being able to drink in public.

But once I arrived in Albania, that's when the "veil" was lifted and it blew me away. Just walking to the beach and seeing a few guys just welding a fence together, and then it was done in like 5 minutes. A huge-ass fence made of steel, thrown together like I would some legos.

God I want to go back so bad.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I'm Spanish, but live in New Zealand with my wife, who is English, and my kiwi sons. Everything that happens in the world feels like it's happening in another planet, specially now with covid19 and the majority of countries being in lockdown.

I was only there for a week and really loved it too, I'd like to live there one day. But yeah it does feel really remote which is weird because it does have all the modern life things you get in other places but it also has this weird feeling of being the last bit of land for thousands of miles!

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
The first night I spent in a Japanese hotel, I spent about 10 uncomfortable minutes being acutely aware of far I was from home.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The first night I spent in a Japanese hotel, I spent about 10 uncomfortable minutes being acutely aware of far I was from home.
I had a similar feeling. When I got off the plane I had an eerie feeling about how removed I was from western culture and how long it took to get there from San Francisco by a plane. I loved it.

imagine having to take a boat 😬

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Studying abroad in new zealand.

I have this one specific memory in Queenstown. Middle of the night, me and my friends went to a local park /soccer field. We laid in the middle of it and just stared at the sky and watched the stars. One of the most peaceful memories i have in my life, and it seems so cliche and small. But god damn did I feel some weird connection to this huge universe in that moment.