• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 4, 2018
So I prefer achievements over trophies generally, I like a numerical points based system over a bronze, silver, gold ranking.

But if theres one thing achievements sorely lack, its the Platinum

I'm quite baffled as to how Xbox hasnt had their version of this yet, there really is no milestone for 100%'ing a game on Xbox apart from it just being there.

Surely it can't be that hard to implement? Just create a special little on-screen prompt, satisfying jingle, and list it somewhere as being fully complete on the dashboard. Give it it's own section called something like 'Mastered' or 'completed' games. A percentage bar just hidden away somewhere kind of sucks, maybe im a case study on how Pavlovian design works.

You could possibly add little incentives such as in-game items, or a discount for optional DLC. The achievements system hasn't had any satisfying upgrades since they added rare achievements.

EDIT: Someone on Reddit had the idea of adding badges to user profiles, I don't see developers re-visiting old games to support that system but I still think its a cool idea, something like this:
z6c1hczd3dj51.png

coma

Oct 28, 2017
With how often DLC/updates add achievements, the idea of a "Platinum" for completion has never made any sense.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I personally prefer the way it is on Xbox tbh. I like how every point matters.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
They have the 'diamond' status & sound effect for achievements that are statistically rare - though that has mostly just proved to me how little people actually finish games, since usually even the standard end-of-game achievements get the status.

Also, I prefer achievements mainly because they feed into Microsoft rewards. I made over $15 in Xbox credit just by maxing out games for achievements during their last few 'every achievement earns rewards points' specials.

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
I agree! I miss the section I'm X360 where I had an icon for each game I 100%ed. I feel like achievements aren't has high a priority for them anymore tho…

Sioul

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Surely it can't be that hard to implement? Just create a special little on-screen prompt, satisfying jingle, and list it somewhere as being fully complete on the dashboard. Give it it's own section called something like 'Mastered' or 'completed' games.

The Xbox 360 had that:

unknown.png

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
wow there isn't one?! I always thought since Xbox came out with this game-accomplishment concept first that there already was. I guess this means that playstation versions of games always have one extra accomplishment in the system which is the one awarded when all the rest are

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
One potential issue is that unlike on PS, DLC achievements aren't broken out into their own list, so the "you finished all the cheevos" award would be logistically more complex the second you add achievements. In addition, one maddening thing about the platinum trophy thing is that debate about whether X game "deserves" to get a trophy. Is it too small, too short, etc.? That type of thing rightly got left behind on the 360 and the arbitrary 200 point limit for XBLA games.

Gaz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'd sooner they fix the completion % values to accurately reflect your real game completion when DLC hasn't been played.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
I don't really care about having a platinum equivalent, but having a page which shows your completed games like the 360 had would be nice.

I think the achievement section of the UI needs a refresh in general.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
The systems are very different with people preferring one or the other, there's no reason for Microsoft to follow what Sony did.

Having said that I prefer the way Sony implemented it, as there's more satisfaction in completing that last hard as hell trophy in a game instead of just moving on and doing an equivalent achievement in another game.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
wow there isn't one?! I always thought since Xbox came out with this game-accomplishment concept first that there already was. I guess this means that playstation versions of games always have one extra accomplishment in the system which is the one awarded when all the rest are

A lot of multiplat games use the same list, meaning xbox often has an achievement for getting all other achievements that's worth 0 points or something.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer how it's done on XBOX, I don't like the way trophies are. This is also how many games with achievement systems work.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
1000/1000 in the base game is the same thing as a platinum, but it's too bad there's no easy way to see it without going to a third party site like trueachievements

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
One potential issue is that unlike on PS, DLC achievements aren't broken out into their own list, so the "you finished all the cheevos" award would be logistically more complex the second you add achievements. In addition, one maddening thing about the platinum trophy thing is that debate about whether X game "deserves" to get a trophy. Is it too small, too short, etc.? That type of thing rightly got left behind on the 360 and the arbitrary 200 point limit for XBLA games.

At this point I'm pretty sure it's up to the developer if the game gas a Platinum or not (see ratalaika 20 minutes-long games having platinums).

But I feel like Sony could solve this by making it mandatory for every game to have a Platinum.

PS: still bitter about games like Sonic Mania and RE4 not having plats.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
i think it may be because Microsoft wants you to play lots of different games making the gamepass subscription worth it, instead of only playing a few games to 100%.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
Platinum trophies were a neat idea, but over time the idea has grown to just suck for anyone that doesn't 100% games often. With Xbox, people are proud of individual achievements, whereas on Playstation you really only see people excited over how many platinums they got. I'm really glad Xbox has stuck to their own path instead of going the same route Playstation has taken.

Nrober

Banned
Apr 1, 2021
Honestly Platinum trophies are the only thing keeping me in Sony's ecosystem these days.

I used to be really bad at buying loads of games, not playing them much and moving onto the next shiny new thing.

I've cured this by only playing 2-3 games at a time and only moving on when I get the platinum (assuming it's reasonably achievable without ludicrous grinds etc). It's stopped me building up a backlog. And I get satisfaction knowing I really get a lot of value out of my purchases - average time played in recent games must hover around 30 hours. Before I'd maybe blast through a campaign and move on straight after - maybe 10 hours per game if that.

I appreciate there's nothing on paper stopping me doing the same on Xbox but where a game's got a load of DLCs it'd take an age to get everything for on top of the vanilla game I don't view the 100% as being as achievable as the platinum would be if it had one. When I had an Xbox I slipped back into my old habits of not really playing games 'properly'.

Appreciate Im probably quite unique in this but yeh, would love Xbox to copy the platinum system. After this long though don't see it happening (sadly).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think, in a world of live games, a platinum for the base 1000/1000 means less and less.

Like, for example, the initial 1000/1000 for Sea of Thieves are largely meaningless achievements. It now has 3,135 points available and most of the later ones, that wouldn't count for the Plat, are much more meaningful and 'core' activities these days.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Na. Don't want this feature. It just creates anxiety and isn't what gaming should be about. 100%-ing any game's achievements is a pretty awful experience usually.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
i wish xbox would sort their achievements by standard game and dlc packs instead of one long list. other than that the setup is mostly fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly restating what's already been said in the thread, but maybe not combined altogether: I think the 360 "Completed Games" thing was basically their version of this. Instead of assigning a specific achievement to finishing the game, and allocating points to that, they just mark the game as finished because you'd achieved all 1000 possible points (or... 200 points for XBLA titles, I think it was?) Then DLC came along and sort of blew up that concept--do you remove the completed game if someone purchases DLC until they've re-completed? Do you leave it that way and make anyone who gets the game + DLC later do both to count as complete? Do you just flag it as complete once you cross 1000 points, even if the last 200 come from DLC? etc etc etc. I actually have no idea how Steam handles DLC achievements when it comes to 'perfect' games.

I don't mind the individual achievement structure on Xbox--they give developers a pool of points, let them allocate them how they choose, and if a developer wants a 'unlock all the other achievements' achievement, they can make one and allocate it however many points they think is worth it. It would be nice to get back a listing of things you've 'completed', but I don't know that there's a 'right' way to handle DLC (you don't want to have buying DLC un-perfect games, because it might discourage a segment of people from picking up DLC to preserve their stats, basically.)

point decay

Oct 27, 2017
im fine with it the way it is, that said I wish they'd get rid of 1,2,3 & 4pt achievements. In fact, just round them all up to 5 & 10pts and save my sanity.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I don't need a platinum achievement… I need the DLCs for a game's achievements to be counted separately.

1000/1000 is perfect… until some stupid DLC comes out I'll never own and mucks it all up.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
I do think the current Xbox solution works really well for me personally, it's a list of bonus tasks I can do if I want more out of a game, and there's no inherent pressure to do everything, at least not on the same level.

I think there is some value there in the decision to not include a 'master trophy' or similar, because I've fallen into the trap of hunting for a platinum or two before where I wasn't necessarily enjoying the experience that much.

I'm probably not the main target for these systems though.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't need a platinum achievement… I need the DLCs for a game's achievements to be counted separately.

1000/1000 is perfect… until some stupid DLC comes out I'll never own and mucks it all up.
That's how it is on PS.

It has an "overall" percentage, but the base game and DLC are treated as separate entries. So, you can have 100% in the base game and 0 for the DLC.

There's honestly no reason DLC can't be kept as a separate list.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
I like the simplicity in the Xbox system in that it isn't about platinums or the rarity of achievements as much as it all contributing to your total achievement score.

Obviously, Sony has something equivalent to that in the level system, but I prefer Microsoft's personally.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
prefer psn way, even though i hardly aim for platinums.
got only 2 in 12 years or so.
and they were both sucker punch games, pretty easy to get.

sony did a good job there, copied the functionality but not blindly.
and came up with a nicely designed version of it.
ideally how you should copy stuff in any business

Last edited:

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I prefer the Gamerscore system over trophies but it would be cool if they would add something like that. Maybe a little star or something

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Each year I realize that no one else besides me cares for the platinum trophies, so I stopped trying to achieve them.

In that regard the gamerscore fits me better, although now I no longer try to increase it

May 31, 2021
Getting a platinum is definitely more satisfying and it's easier to tell how many games someone's completed.

On Xbox it's just one big ass number, it's even worse when the game has DLC.