• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are indie games a major part of your gaming sessions?

• Yes

Votes: 573 57.6%
  • No

Votes: 211 21.2%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 211 21.2%

• Total voters

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Loved Hades and played quite a few on game pass

I usually don't go out of my way to research/buy indies but give a lot a try if they're on game pass

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am playing far more indie titles than I was five years ago, but I still play a lot of modern AAA as well as retro games.

if anything retro games have been the majority of my gaming for the past 18-24 months.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I do try and play a few a year as they're generally some of the most fun I have, but admittedly I struggle to actually get to them.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Major is probably a strong word for it as my tastes still skew more to AAA stuff as I love great graphics, cinematic action games etc. with top production values.

I have been playing more indies though, mostly via Gamepass, PS+, Epic freebies etc. That's a great way for me to add variety to my gaming without spending money directly on (typcially from what I play) shorter games that I'm going to beat and never touch again. Also lets me try a lot more and not feel any negativity about dropping it quickly if it's not for me since there's not money wasted, just more time wasted continuing to try and like something.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My platime for the past week are Nioh 2, Among us, Phasmophibia, WoW, Olija, and Ender Lillies.

indie and AA make up a lot of my playtime.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Most indie games aren't in genres that appeal to me. Whenever I see an indie game that looks neat or gets a lot of hype it tends to be some flavor of rogue-lite or twin stick shooter.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Indies is where its at. Its being experimental and all genres are getting love and the games a very high quality. SO much good stuff out there and on the horizon.

I'm fed up with broken AAA games

Oct 27, 2017
most of what i play is indie or niche. i cant imagine surviving on triple aaa alone these days unless you are cool with droughts.

i love indie games but come on there. How many hours a weeks do you play games to have droughts with AAA games? I know we are pretty hardcore on resetera but a majority of gamers don't play a billion different games

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Really can't say indies are a major part of my gaming time at all. I mostly play games in the space between indie -> AAA, and also replaying games I've owned for the past 25 years. Not ignorant on 'em though. I know that they do indeed exist (predominatly in digital-only form >_>).

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The last 5 games I played were indie.

I don't understand how someone who's core hobby is gaming could only thrive on AAA titles.

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
I like cinema, 3D, and production values so not at all. Honestly I don't play enough in a year to get through all the AAA games, let alone other stuff.

I would play one if they ever looked interesting to me. I don't hold being indie against them exactly, though any time I see a game advertise "retro" graphics my eyes roll straight to the back of my head.

The last one that really captivated me was Rain World, and I was about ready to try it, then all the reviews said it was ridiculously difficult so nevermind.

edit: Among Us is boss though

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I meant more along the lines of traditional storytelling techniques. Many aren't voiced, and even less have cutscenes or similar.

It's not a ding against them, it's mostly down to budget. And that's more my personal tastes.
Completely understand the preference for higher production values and more approachable storytelling, just found it odd to say that narrative games were rare in the indie space

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
There are lots of great indie games out there. I played CrossCode and Sakuna recently and really enjoyed both. When I'm playing a good game I'm not thinking about whether or not it's an indie, I'm just enjoying the game.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
it hasn't actually mattered to me whether a game was indie or AAA for a very long time

a great game is a great game

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Not only is it a major part, but it's majority of the games I play.

Hollow Knight, A Short Hike, Monster Boy, Dead Souls, Gardens Between, Steamworld franchise, Hades, Yokus Island Express and the list goes on.
Some fantastic indies over the last few years, they fill my Nintendo needs when Nintendo themselves dont do it anymore.

With that said, I also enjoy a AAA game from time to time =)

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I think the last time I played a indie game was years ago so nope

Too many big games to play than indie games

Nov 12, 2017
It all depends. I like platformers and RPGs. If a good indie one comes out and catches my interest, I'll jump in. Otherwise, I'll stick to AA or AAA games. Last year I remember getting really into Slay the Spire (for the 5th or so time..), Hades, and Dead Cells. This year its looking like I'll be playing AAA stuff with Hat in time + Impossible Lair mixed in depending on when there are gaps in what I wanna play from Sony / Nintendo / Square/ Whoever.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of AAA stuff either doesn't cater to my interests or doesn't come out often, and is usually expensive to boot. Meanwhile indies are usually cheaper even when not on sale and give me a lot of stuff I just can't find elsewhere. There's lots of more well known indies like Undertale, Celeste, Hades and Omori and how they can stand toe to toe with any AAA experience regarding both quality and fun, but there's so many more that fly under a lot of radars that keep me very happy even during AAA droughts. Dunno how anyone can just buy AAA and be happy, but you do you.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Every year I fall more and more out of love with AAA games, so most of my playtime is indie titles.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
Just found out about this cool new game called cave story, some guy from japan made it on his own it's really neat everyone should try it out!!!

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Grew up on the 8-bit aesthetic and don't miss it, especially the awful midi music.

also find that a lot of indie game fans are dripping with hyperbole. But I guess that's to be expected on a gaming enthusiast forum

The good indie games are just as good as the AAA stuff though.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
in my mind the "indie" distinction doesnt particularly exist anymore, at least in a qualitative sense

aside from games obvs made by a few guys on their laptop with game maker or something

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I spend more time on indie games than AAA releases easily. Cyberpunk 2077 was the last AAA game I bought and I havn't even finished it and regret buying it somewhat.

The major issue I have with AAA is they lack creativity in gameplay. All the budget goes into VA/models/story which is not my thing at all when gaming.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
I mostly budget for AAA/Publisher-backed games with limited time and money.

But if I ever do find myself with excess funds (birthday/Christmas) I'll definitely take a look at what's on sale via digital distributors.

Just picked up Limbo, Inside, SteamWorld Dig 2, and Abzu.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Nah, I find indie games too déclassé for my refined tastes.

/s (I swear if I need this here I'm going to cry)

I thought that would make it obvious that I'm joking but apparently I needed to go even dumber.
I can't blame people taking you seriously though with some of the responses in this thread so far.

Space Gomez

Oct 28, 2017
in my mind the "indie" distinction doesnt particularly exist anymore, at least in a qualitative sense
This. There are a lot of games people would call indie that are pretty big in size and scope.

Also even if the distinction was as clear as it was when Super Meat Boy and Braid were coming out, I couldn't imagine relegating myself to either only indie games or AAA games. I wouldn't refuse to see a movie just because it was a Marvel movie, and I wouldn't refuse to listen to a musical act because they aren't on the Hot 100. Why do the same with games?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I've voted Somewhat, but all I've been playing this 2021 is Slay the Spire and Little Nightmares .

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say the percentage of games I play that would count as indie has been pretty high for the past decade and it's only been going up in that time too. It's a major reason changes in generations have stopped mattering to me as most of what I'm playing doesn't need the extra power.

Despite all this I still feel fairly ignorant of the indie landscape in general as I'm sure there is just so much more potentially fun stuff out there that I have not seen.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I basically use the Game of the Year awards season to catch up on the handful of indie games that really interested me for the year and focus on other stuff for most of the year.

I like indie games, but I'm a big physical collector so it's hard to motivate myself to invest time into a lot of them without a physical disc or cartridge. Additionally most of the ones I care about aren't big time sinks. Not a roguelike/roguelite dude so I'm not gonna be investing hundreds of hours into Hades and Binding of Isaac or whatever.

Don't really play a lot of AAA either. Most of my time goes to Nintendo, mid-tiers, and older games.