• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are indie games a major part of your gaming sessions?

• Yes

Votes: 573 57.6%
  • No

Votes: 211 21.2%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 211 21.2%

• Total voters

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I've probably only played maybe 5 indie titles but am just blown away by the quality and quantity of them as of late.

Are y'all already in the indie craze or still behind?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
most of what i play is indie or niche. i cant imagine surviving on triple aaa alone these days unless you are cool with droughts.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
They aren't a major part of my gaming session because I prefer higher budget games. That doesn't mean that I am ignorant towards them. I'd say it's 75% non-indie and 25% indie games for me.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
It's 99% of my play time. I haven't bought a Nintendo game since Donkey Kong in 2018, and the only 60 bucks I bought since was Switcher 3. I don't have much interest in the output from traditional studios anymore.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I say somewhat due to hours involved. Most AAA games take me significantly longer to beat than most indie titles I play.

So a shear numbers game based on hours makes it somewhat. If I measured by games completed indie is the majority.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
There's a huge jump between "indie games being a major part of my gaming hours" and "being ignorant"

Specially because they're not exclusive between them, even if it's funny to say so.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't say "major", but I do feel like I play a fair amount these days.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I play indie games all the time but I find the ones I like most often don't get enough attention even from indie game fans, e.g. run 'n guns like Huntdown and Blazing Chrome.

I'm not a big fan of "Souls" or rogue elements, though. I wish more 2d indie games would lay off that stuff.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, very rarely play indies unless its really well known like Hollow Knight.

I'm more interested in AAA in general.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Indies are often better games than AAA products nowadays, so yeah, they're integral to the hobby for me and a big part of the catalogue I play.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I just play whatever I am interested. Sometimes they're indies, sometimes they're not. I don't put them in any special category when I play them.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I play very few of the big AAA games in comparison these days, most of the fresh mechanics and ideas that interest me aren't coming from the big studios.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Thread title doesn't exactly match the poll. I don't really play indies because I don't play that many games period overall and just play games I really know I want to play.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I play whatever but I lean more towards indie games. There are simply more surprises and more interesting games in the indie space.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Indies don't make the kinds of games I care about, so why would I spend my time on them?

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I just play what I'm interested in, which typically happens to mostly be AAA stuff, but I don't avoid indies for the sake of it. I'll play it if it looks interesting. Inside is one of my favorite games from last gen. Loved Little Nightmares, Florence, enjoying Hades right now a lot.

I'm more into narrative driven stuff which is usually a little scarce in the indie space.

SpookyTango

Mar 1, 2020
They have to be at least half of my play time in a year. I don't prioritize big publishers versus Independently developed games. I just go for whatever looks interesting.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I like some indie games but I find many of them don't scratch the genre itch I have, and I find that many don't understand the genres they work in super well.

In terms of 2D action and platforming games, generally, I find most have physics and a feel I don't find very fun.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
They actually represent most of my gaming time at this point, easily.

My played time on Slay the Spire alone far eclipses the time I've played games from major publishers and that doesn't include other games that have I've spent a ton of time with, like Hades, Subnautica, Space Engineers, Disco Elysium, Enter the Gungeon and more.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Can't remenber the last time I played an Indie game.
I have very limited time to play games, so I tendo to just play the biggest releases of the year.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I typically play first and third person shooter campaigns, with occasional soulsborne title in the mix. Indies don't really cover those genres.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I play a fair amount of indies. But a lot of them are just "incredibly hard 2d platformers" and om fairly sick of those. I love the indie highlights, but i am absolutely sick of hearing how AAA is devoid of creativity and only the indie crowd is trying when that's bullshit

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not interested in most modern AAA since the PS3 so without indies and AA, I would almost never play at all.
Yes, I love indies and I need them, they provide me the gameplay big publishers don't want to do anymore.

AlexMurphy

Oct 19, 2018
Used to stay away from indies because I felt like "Why play an indie on this beautiful TV with surround sound when I could play AAA games made for this?"

And then I played Celeste and quickly realized that all the most interesting and challenging games are from the indie sphere and that the standards have dropped so far for AAA that they're mostly derivations on the same set of mechanics with different sexy coats of paint. I can't remember the last AAA I played that had any meaningful innovations in terms of gameplay but I can think of a dozen indies in the last couple years that have blown me away with their creativity and gameplay ideas.

Now I mostly play indies and AA games, just checking in on AAA when they're really exceptional like FF7 Remake or are derivative in a way I vibe with like Ghost of Tsushima

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I wouldn't say it's a major part yet, but it's certainly more than it used to be. I bought/played fifteen games last year, and four of them were indies. It was only two indies the previous year, and I've already bought one this year and have my eye on plenty more while I wait for sales. I mostly play big RPGs, and I'm starting to appreciate them as small palate cleansers between the bigger experiences.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I play far more Indies than anything else. I'm long at the point where games are games though. It just so happens that the far more interesting ones tend to be indie nowadays in my opinion.

Síriocaz

Oct 19, 2019
No. They don't cost a lot, but I still need to buy other bigger games, which honestly I prefer.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Most of my wishlist is indie stuff;

My playtime is split, since I tend to play one game at a time, and a AAA game can take me 2 months to complete, before I play the next batch of Indies.
There's also evergreen RTS titles like Age of Empires II or SpellForce that interrupt this rotation, whenever I feel the RTS itch.

So the short answer is, somewhat.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Lot of genres and aesthetics that have been ditched by publishers that I still want games from. I buy the least amount of AAA games I ever have these days

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I love a lot of indies, but I feel like I'm only ever hitting the surface and what gets a bit of buzz. Feels like there are always indies that slip through the cracks, so I guess "somewhat"?

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yep, indie games usually have the creativity and great gameplay I love. I probably play more indie games than anything else. It's funny because I got an RTX 3080, yet spend a lot of my time playing games that don't take full advantage of it.

Like many others though, I don't think about games being indie or not, I just play what appeals to me.