• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
www.resetera.com

Official Update on Xbox Live Gold Pricing from Microsoft

Update on Xbox Live Gold Pricing Update on Xbox Live Gold Pricing - Xbox Wire

Since they officially increased the price of Live Gold

If you or your kids have an Xbox and want to play Fortnite with friends, thanks to crossplay, it's very much possible that your friends are paying nothing yet you have to spend 120 dollars every year

I know that there isn't a single person here defending this
so I'm asking what are the plans behind MS's decision. How did they think this would be acceptable?

Being a PC gamer puts some things in perspective. I had Gamepass (and I loved it, I'll sub it again later), I have Ps +, I have EA Play and Live Gold is by far the worst subscription at the moment.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I have no idea why they never dropped the requirement for Gold with F2P games. Besides "money".

They loosened a bunch of other rules when the One launched (you needed Gold to watch Netflix on the 360...) but this stupid one remains. I thought it was going to go with the Series launch, but turns out I was wrong.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
timmy sweeny knowing that some kids out there are paying $120/year just to play Fortnite but he's not getting a cent of it

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
But Phil Spencer has Easter eggs in his video and game pass so....

(I kid. Still surprised ms doesn't get more shit for this tbh)

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I'll never understand why anyone paid for any online in the first place. This is just the consequence of that. Guess what happens when people pay for this increase in another couple years.

OP
OP
Era of not Yakuza
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Why not just post this take in the thread lol
brings more awareness
some people have no idea this happens and some people have no idea this isn't the case on other platforms
timmy sweeny knowing that some kids out there are paying $120/year just to play Fortnite but he's not getting a cent of it

Now this is a "free Fortnite" that I would support
What if I don't like Fortnite, can I pay less
Yes

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, people aren't gonna stop paying, or at least not enough to make a difference to MS. People aren't gonna stop playing their xboxes cold turkey over this if that's the only current way for them to keep playing the games they want to play.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
People aren't paying $120 a year to play Fortnite anywhere lol

Hell, Xbox was the only place to charge for F2P in the first place (it's free on PC, Switch, PS and phones before Tim's tantrums)

Well if people are not paying it then the model will fail by itself then, and they will be forced to offer the service with a better value proposition. But did wee see it failing now?

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has altered the deal. Pray they don't alter it further.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen a thread on era use another thread on era as its source. It's messing with my brain.

People that didn't know that you don't need a PS+ or NSO sub to play F2P

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
One thing (that I mentioned in the other thread) that I noticed, is the amount of people that didn't know that you don't need a PS+ or NSO subscription to play F2P games:

If anything this move has just raised awareness that MS/Xbox is the only place where you need to pay to play F2P games.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Well if people are not paying it then the model will fail by itself then, and they will be forced to offer the service with a better value proposition. But did wee see it failing now?

Actually yeah, as we are in the middle of gen transition and many people didn't made their choices yet (because of low stock)

A huge chunk of gamers just want Fortnite, COD, FIFA...

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
It really is egregious, and strikes me as a play for the dedicated GamePass/XBLG whales that stack subs for years at a time rather than the budget consumer that just picked up a Series S for 4K Fortnite.

I can say for certain I'd never pay this and I pray this doesn't encourage Sony to increase the price of PS+.

Apr 23, 2019
They have the numbers, and they can do the math. They will increase prices as long as the extra revenue outweighs any revenue lost from cancellations or loss of "good will". And with something as intrinsic to general gaming as online functionality, I'm guessing it would take a lot more than this amount of a price increase to make any real dent in their user base.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
The plan is if you arent a Gamepass Ultimate subscriber MS doesnt care about you as a consumer.

Basically it

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
One thing (that I mentioned in the other thread) that I noticed, is the amount of people that didn't know that you don't need a PS+ or NSO subscription to play F2P games:

If anything this move has just raised awareness that MS/Xbox is the only place where you need to pay to play F2P games.

What's more appalling is how none of those people thought to check what they were about to say before hitting reply.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I sincerely expect a lot of people not to pay. They're doubling the price and giving nothing in return. People will probably occasionaly buy a month or a semester when they feel like playing something online, while other people will just switch to GPU. In either way, Microsoft wins. It's still shitty to who just wants to enjoy their online games.

Now paying for F2P is even more shitty, I can't even figure how MS has done it since the beginning without a mob going for their throats, because that's what would happen if Sony suddenly required Plus for Fortnite.

Last edited:

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

lol imagine all these gamers been paying a sub thinking they needed it all this time. whomp whomp

OP
OP
Era of not Yakuza
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was joking in the other thread about all the acquisitions...But when you think about it, MS needs a way to recoup all that money back and whats a better way than this?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when they tried to control used games and the simple answer was "no they can't" and then we did something about it.

People are too conditioned to pay to play online for consoles. People stopping in big enough numbers to stick it to Microsoft is never going to happen.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Actually yeah, as we are in the middle of gen transition and many people didn't made their choices yet (because of low stock)

In regards to Fortnite and CoD (Warzone to be specific): I honestly think it would be a smart move on Sony to advertise f2p games being actually f2p on PS5.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

Then we'll see how the market responds in a few months. As of now I don't think what Microsoft is offering is attractive for me to jump in into its ecosystem so I will not. If enough people are feeling the same then they will have to adjust, but if not many people care then I'll have to accept they made the right decision (for themselves) and I'll get my entertainment elsewhere. Either way we are not "tricked" into spending money for them, this is video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.