• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Many many games I play on PC tend to set my resolution at 1280x720 because my scaling settings are at 300% (gaming on a 4K TV).

Is it so hard? It's getting pretty annoying when you have to set so many things before couch gaming becomes painless. One of the reasons I'm losing interest in PC gaming.

Not a 2021 game but still... Tried One Piece PW4 on gamepass... 720p with resolution settings that get reset at each startup... They have no excuse.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
90% of games scale their UI separate from the game resolution, you shouldn't have to set it to 720p ingame? That's an incredibly low resolution.

E: sorry, are you saying with the scaling set to 300% games launch at 720? If you have older ones that do, right-click the shortcut or exe > Properties > Compatibility tab > High DPI settings button can help adjust it.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I keep my scaling at 100% since I like to get the most out of my 4K display productivity-wise. But it is annoying how many games have absolute shit resolution settings.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
You're setting your games to 720p on a 4K display? What?
No, they're saying a lot of their games are being set to 720p because their Windows Scale setting is set to 300%. It's unfortunately an oversight a lot of PC games have. You basically want your Windows Scale to always be 100% when booting a game just in case, but it's super annoying to have to change it back and forth.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
No, they're saying a lot of their games are being set to 720p because their Windows Scale setting is set to 300%. It's unfortunately a glitch a lot of PC games have.
Ohhh yeah that sucks. Yeah I have my desktop scaled up a bit for my LG C1 that I have on my desk as a second monitor. I've only played a few games on it and so far so good.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've found that the Windows scaling setting doesn't play nice with some games. I keep Windows at 100% on my 4K TV as a result. I don't use the TV as my display when doing non-game stuff so it doesn't bother me much.

But if you're actually doing stuff on the 4K TV, maybe this will help:https://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/171539-hotkey-scaling-windows-10-a.html

It's an AutoHotKey script to switch Windows scaling with a keyboard shortcut. It will probably take some work to get it just right. I haven't tested it myself.

OP
OP
Aru

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
It's annoying to switch resolution scaling settings in the properties of each game. Some games behave properly... So I wonder. When they query Windows to get the desktop resolution, does it send 720p instead of 4K because of the scaling? That would be the most logical explanation.

May 15, 2019
OP you have a couple options when it comes to this. The first is to just use Steam Big Picture because it will base the game's resolution on Big Picture's, and Big Picture properly scales when using Windows scaling. The other is to right click on the exe for the game giving you trouble and go to Compatibility, click on change high DPI settings, and check Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: Application. This one's a bit more annoying but it's a one and done solution per game that's giving you trouble.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
It's annoying to switch resolution scaling settings in the properties of each game. Some games behave properly... So I wonder. When they query Windows to get the desktop resolution, does it send 720p instead of 4K because of the scaling? That would be the most logical explanation.
Honestly your symptom is rather confusing, I've never heard of it before. I know of something else that occurs with display scaling, that being when using a display scale > 100% some older games (or even new games with old APIs) end up producing a window that's far too big for the screen (because Windows doesn't know it's a game and the application is missing a manifest), but that's a rather different symptom. The resolution list doesn't change because of display scaling.

Maybe the issue you're encountering is somehow the same but causing a different problem because it's 4K at 300%, thus failing to create a window? After all at 300%, 3840x2160 is now 11520x6480, so maybe there's something to that and it's reverting to a 720p default.
Try changing the compatibility settings of the executable in case that somehow relates to your issue. Right click the executable, click properties->Compatibility, select "Change high DPI settings" , and in the drop down select "Application", then OK and Apply. You may need to use "Change settings for all users" in some edge cases".
800ed37486.png

As an additional note for any developer, the way to address this in your own program is simply to include a manifest in the application indicating the program is display scaling aware (use Per Monitor mode). Use this even if you're using a new API, there's no harm in being sure.

OP
OP
Aru

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I forgot about that because most games remember the resolution settings after the first launch. Not sure we can edit the properties for gamepass games?

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I still encounter the odd game that launches at that resolution and I don't even have any scaling set. I forget the games now but but at least one was one of those that decides not to give you access to the settings screen until the intro section has played out.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This shit is the bane of my existence in Windows and I can't believe it hasn't improved in years. DPI scaling just works in macOS.

Chossen

Nov 26, 2017
I only had this problem with PW4. Normally all my games are set to my screen resolution (4k) without any problems (and Im using 175% scaling)

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
This shit is the bane of my existence in Windows and I can't believe it hasn't improved in years. DPI scaling just works in macOS.
It's unable to be a MacOS issue because it's quite specifically caused by backwards compatibility. This may seem a tad confusing because it does happen with new programs but the trick is it's the APIs that are backwards compatible, and not every developer updates them, nor can you force them to. As long as Windows has backwards compatibility, it can never be solved by Windows itself. It's up to the developers to be attentive.

MacOS kills backwards compatibility regularly and forces the developers to comply so it was unable to manifest as a problem.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I find this problematic with a lot of PC games that I have tried out

The resolution is locked at 1500x800 or something because my desktop scaling is set at 125%

Oct 31, 2017
I'm reading this thread and I'm genuinely puzzled at the issue being described here.

In my experience the overwhelming majority of PC games tend to the default at the same resolution of my desktop (2560x1440) and when that's not the case I just have to change that setting once at their first startup.

I don't really use any particular "scaling" on top of that. So I'm not sure if this is about an issue I'm not experiencing at all or if it's about some specific requirement I never took any interest in.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Yeah it's something I noticed when loading up doom eternal the other day. The game couldn't recognize that my native res is 1440p. Changing it to 1440p and 100% res scaling was easy enough.