• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are literally thousands of games out that aren't available on PC/Current gen. Hell, 95% of the Saturn library isn't playable on anything other than a Saturn and unofficially on PC. I'd rather have any of these other games than Marvel games.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Always thought it was unfortunate that Marvel and Capcom's newfound deal with Infinite only led to UMVC3 being ported to modern consoles, with nothing for MVC2 and MVC Origins

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Just checked online damn can't even buy this digitally anywhere or buy it brand new. Wouldn't be surprised if people just download it pirated since that's the only way they can acquire it

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
well yeah, as a teenager I imported from Japan the Sega Saturn versions of X-Men vs Street Fighter and Marvel vs Street Fighter, then on Dreamcast the same thing with Marvel vs Capcom and Marvel vs Capcom 2. Now I want to relive those moments on current gen hardware/PC and it's just impossible.. what the hell Capcom, please do something ;(

Buy an OSSC, it does wonders.

Dec 15, 2017
I'd say that it's better to forget about them and play directly on Fightcade. I mean, Capcom released the SF 30th anniversary collection and it's a mess. It should be the ultimate way to play Street Fighter online for years and years to come across all platforms and build a competitive scene for these old games. But instead they packed a couple of roms, no crossplay whatsoever and call it a day. It's like they don't want your money.

If they do that for their cash cow Steet Fighter, picture the level of care they would have for the VS games.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam

I think I still have a digital copy of MvC2 on either the 360 or PS3 but yeah, it'd be really nice to have a copy playable on the current gen if the next gen is really going to be fully bc.

OP
OP
krg

krg

Oct 27, 2017
what a coincidence, Maximilian uploaded this video a couple hours ago:

Oct 26, 2017
According to Max, even if you do find an Ebay copy of MvC2 at this point, the code won't be usable since it's only good for ten years. So yeah, it's proper gone now. But I'm assuming that Capcom has something planned. They can't be ignoring the demand, and they have re-released a ton of licensed games over the years. They know how to make it work.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
According to Max, even if you do find an Ebay copy of MvC2 at this point, the code won't be usable since it's only good for ten years. So yeah, it's proper gone now. But I'm assuming that Capcom has something planned. They can't be ignoring the demand, and they have re-released a ton of licensed games over the years. They know how to make it work.

Reminds me of the Heavy Rain DLC code I got that I forgot to use and it just disappeared.
Which is weird, because I still plug it in randomly to this day and yet it isn't anything still.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, as other posters have said, I actually feel confident that there's a possibility for a collection of the classic Marvel-featured Vs games to rerelease in a collection.

It might take a while. I don't know what the environment for communicating to Disney/Marvel is so this might be complete bullshit, but it seems to me like it's more difficult to catch their ear than it is to actually get permission if Arcade 1up can pull it off. If Capcom is interested enough in making the effort to reach out and to actually perform the work to assemble the collection in an attractive manner for consumers (things like emulation quality and adding good netcode), then I'm sure it could be a reality with very little friction when it comes to getting permission to relicense the IP.

I feel like EVO 2020's MvC2 invitational was poised to be a great opportunity for the community to demonstrate their want for something like it, but we'll have to wait now.

OP
OP
krg

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, as other posters have said, I actually feel confident that there's a possibility for a collection of the classic Marvel-featured Vs games to rerelease in a collection.

It might take a while. I don't know what the environment for communicating to Disney/Marvel is so this might be complete bullshit, but it seems to me like it's more difficult to catch their ear than it is to actually get permission if Arcade 1up can pull it off. If Capcom is interested enough in making the effort to reach out and to actually perform the work to assemble the collection in an attractive manner for consumers (things like emulation quality and adding good netcode), then I'm sure it could be a reality with very little friction when it comes to getting permission to relicense the IP.

I feel like EVO 2020's MvC2 invitational was poised to be a great opportunity for the community to demonstrate their want for something like it, but we'll have to wait now.
When it comes to netcode, I wouldn't expect anything better than the Street Fighter Collection.
For some reason the more functional version of 3rd Strike is still on the X360 and it's not (and probably never will be) backwards compatible.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EL0y7jnW4AAPZm8

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Something like a "Marvel Vs. Capcom 25th Anniversary Collection" would probably do great numbers but knowing Capcom they'd probably just include the CPS2 games and leave out MVC2.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
There are literally thousands of games out that aren't available on PC/Current gen. Hell, 95% of the Saturn library isn't playable on anything other than a Saturn and unofficially on PC. I'd rather have any of these other games than Marvel games.
I mean, this is true as well, but the legacy of most Saturn games isn't even close to Capcom's .vs series. When i think about fighting games, my mind comes about three titles: SF II, Soul Calibur, and Marvel .vs Capcom.

If anything, it is a tragedy that we can't play games like Guardian Heroes and Radiant Silvergun on consoles outside of those weird XBLA! ports

Disasterpeace

Banned
Apr 17, 2020
You can play the games on a hacked SNES mini and they look great even on a HDTV.

You will need to expand the storage memory as those games are way bigger in size.

hot take

Marvel Super Heroes was ruined by the stupid gems mechanic

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Marvel's licensing is probably very expensive due to the popularity of the movies. And those games are not going to sell the millions needed to recoup the licensing and royalty fees they have to pay, and still make some money off the games.

If they pay the licesing fees, it's going to be for a new game.

A few of the games being licensed by Arcade1up leaves me no doubt the powers that be can work out a collection for the modern consoles + steam and it would sell by the boatload. Disney and Marvel aren't tone deaf to the enduring popularity of these games.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
EVO 2020 would have been a great way to introduce both a Vs. series collection and MVC4 (properly done of course) riding off the hype of the 8 man MVC2 tournament, but who knows what will happen now that EVO is shifting to online only.

Regardless, I hope we'll see an announcement at EVO or sometime this year!

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
It's fucked up because the PS360 era had lots of ports of these games (MvC 2, Third Strike, Darkstalkers, Mark of the Wolves, etc) and this gen we've gotten none.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
SNK is a fine example of how to treat your legacy titles, they've just patched rollback to Last Blade 2 on Steam / PS4 / XB1, and they've done it too with Garou and KOF 97.

You can buy most of their old titles on all the consoles through ACA Neogeo releases, including the Switch.

A Samurai Shodown Arcade Collection is comming to all platforms with netplay and rollback netcode.

Hell they've even released some Neogeo pocket titles out there.

And I can run all those ports (Garou, LB2, KOF 97) on my old laptop to play with friends online via mostly flawless netcode.
It's funny to think that I had to request a refund to the Steam version of Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection because that port doesn't even run on an Intel HD 3000 laptop, it may sound like bullshit to some people but it's baffling to me considering that an old pentium 4 could play those games on ggpo.

It feels like Capcom themselves doesn't even care enough about their legacy to give them the proper treatment they deserve, which is a shame because if the don't even care about their own titles, imagine how they care about games involving other companies licensed IPs.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
It's a damn tragedy. Also, good on the people bringing up The Punisher game. It was so great but for some reason, never gets brought up with best side scrollers when it easily is.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Something like a "Marvel Vs. Capcom 25th Anniversary Collection" would probably do great numbers but knowing Capcom they'd probably just include the CPS2 games and leave out MVC2.
They included MMX8 in the MMX Legacy Collection, so I'd be shocked if MvC2 wasn't included in the MvC Legacy Collection (if it happens).

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Best idea...hire lab zero to handle a port of the legacy vs series titles implementing ggpo with all the upgrades to that they have been spearheading as detailed in the may 6 ultrachen tv episode with mike z. Also show the wifi indicator and since newer consoles have the processing for it take the "sleep" command off of frame skips in turbo mode so you dony end up in situations where you hit block on reaction right as the game is told to sleep and process nothing thus creating a situation where you blocked but it didn t process it and still get hit even though you reacted in time.
Additionally allow lab zero to polish the sprites and even fix some of them like Morrigan or improve that lost massive animation quality like colossus just flipping left and right instead of having his full spin animation from xmen cota.

Seriously...let em handle upgraded ports. They know those games better than likely any in house talent left at capcom. It would not only be faithful but you know they'd improve the experience by gearing it for online, tourneys, enhanced single player and who knows what else [remix edition with balance changes new moves and cast?].

Seriously capcom...hire lab zero.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't own them anymore unfortunately. Also correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard Saturn emulation is far from perfect?
Oh it's definitely far from perfect. However I feel that's likely the only way we'll get the game for the next little while.

I'm gonna call it now and say that we'll get ports as soon as Marvel gets working on X-Men movies(or MCU movies featuring X-Men). Marvel has always been trying to push their licenses in games mainly to fit what they are currently pushing or planning to push(to a degree). I feel like they will definitely want to cross promote any new X-Men related stuff with ports of the old games. It never made sense to push those games before when they were pushing the MCU movies.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They included MMX8 in the MMX Legacy Collection, so I'd be shocked if MvC2 wasn't included in the MvC Legacy Collection (if it happens).
Sure but the SF30th Anniversary Collection skipped SFA3U. I could see them just having XMVSF, MSHVSF and MVC1, then also adding the pre Vs Marvel licensed games like MSH, X-Men COTA and The Punisher.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but the SF30th Anniversary Collection skipped SFA3U. I could see them just having XMVSF, MSHVSF and MVC1, then also adding the pre Vs Marvel licensed games like MSH, X-Men COTA and The Punisher.
I'd dig having the option to play SFA3U too but the issue is the games balance changes made V-ism less viable and because more people played SFA3 it has a bitter fanbase. It would be nice if they gave us dip switch settings to make the game play like SFA3U

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
i regret sleeping on the Origins game during PS3/360 era so fucking much if only i bought it

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
In a perfect world, we would have a collection that includes all the mentioned, plus Children of the Atom, Marvel Super Heroes and the beat 'n ups as bonus (Mutant Apocalypse, War of the Gems and Punisher).

Marvel vs. Capcom: Perfect Files or something