• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Hey everyone it's the start of the new year so I figured I'd start it with some remembering! For me that title is Kingdom hearts Dream Drop Distance. I had plenty of time to finish it over December but I kept putting it off. What is worse is I swore I'd beat it before the year is over so I can be ready for Kingdom Hearts 3. Guess the jokes on me lol. Best finish it before then. Oh and don't even get me started on God of War and Uncharted 4. Picked up both of those during Black Friday for killer prices. And I haven't even been able to open them yet.

Enough about me though. Please share with the thread the game you failed to finish in 2018!

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Persona 5

I love 4 but couldn't get past the first 2 hours, and then I tried watching the anime but.. yea

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5. I am in the home stretch, but just couldn't wrap it up before midnight. Gonna finish it tomorrow (today?) though most likely, I'm very excited! Been working on it since late August!

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls Remaster. After Bloodbonre, it's just too slow. It's a revolutionary title for sure, but I can't go back.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Most recent was Dead Rising 4. I've tried a couple of times to get into it during the holidays(because of the theme). It's just so clunky and miserable to play that I just noped out

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Assassin's Creed Origins, I've been playing this game on and off for like 2 months now. No end in sight still...

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Dragon Quest XI, I put about 20 hours into it but I keep getting sidetracked by other games. I will probably spend most of January finishing it.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Started cross code on the 30th as a friend got it for me for Christmas. I'm loving it quite a bit actually. Characters, story, and game play are all pretty stellar. The most surprising thing is the amount of content though. I've put in maybe around 9-10 hours into it and thought initially that would be enough to finish the game, but I think I'm around 25%...maybe. Haven't been this impressed with amount of content since hollow Knight. Definitely looking forward to finishing it as my first game of 2019.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
428, Okami, Octopath Travelers, etc.
I need to curb this habit of starting games and not finishing them....

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I wanted to finish Red Dead Redemption 2, at least the story, before buying anything else, but failed miserably. Not that I didn't play a lot, but the gorgeous nature kept calling me and that's where I spent most of my playtime 😅
Then came the PSN Christmas sale and now I'm playing AC: Odyssey.
But I have one gaming goal for 2019 and that's getting the platinum for RDR2.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
Prey. Was on track to be in my top 5 of the year, but ~14 hours in I encountered 2 game (and save) breaking bugs in a row that stopped my run. Absolutely insane they released the moon dlc with the bug still not being fixed (with official acknowledgement of the bug on their forums weeks after release). Still super salty about that.

NotUS

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Come Deliverance
- the Monastery quest has defeated me. I just can't bring myself to play a monk in a monastery for 30 mins. I've tried 5 or 6 times to go back to it and finish this quest line, but it bores me to tears, I just cant do it and drop it each time after a few minutes.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
There are a small handful that I picked up, played for like 20-30 minutes, and then had no interest to keep going. I think the only games where I got pretty far and genuinely wanted to finish them but they fell by the wayside anyway were Mother 3 and Super Metroid, both of which were back around July/August.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Rage quit the first time I died in Hollow Knight. Tried to go back but don't know what I was doing or where I was going so I'm gonna have to restart at some point.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
There are several games that I started last year and still am not done with. The main one is Assassin's Creed Odyssey that I bought day one in October thought I would be done by now but, 120 hours later, I still have a couple of regions to discover (and several story DLCs piling up). Not complaining though: As bloated as this game is, I love it very much :3

On Switch, I can think of Bayonetta. Though it is a special case since I bought it early in 2018 but fell off of it for quite some time. I'm back on it and slowly making my way through it. Same for Cosmic Star Heroine. I enjoy it but playing it with really small session (30 minutes here and there).

But the very last game I started and played in 2018 but still haven't finish for me is Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP. While short, didn't manage to finish it. I hope I'll be done with it today though! Really weird but fun game.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Dead Cells. Faced the final boss so many times, put it down, picked it up a few weeks later and my rhythm for the game was lost.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Red Dead 2. I'm very close to the end now, but most times I play I finish a great story mission to be confronted with a 10 minute ride to the next mission, and then quit every time. It's been slow going, but I'll definitely finish it by the end of January.

First time I've earnestly wished a game was rather a movie/ series.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 0, no time but I'll get into it once I'm out of work which is about 2 weeks from now.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
started shadow of the tomb raider back in October and made it to the first village but held off once red Dead redemption 2 came out and haven't played it since. just recently restarted it a few days ago and going to make it the first game I beat this year.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Captain Toad. I love the game but I hate the on-screen cursor in Switch docked mode, so I've limited myself to playing only in handheld mode. But I hardly ever play in handheld mode, so it never really occurs to me to finish the game.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
DQXI, Muv-Luv Alternative (should finish it in the first few days of 2019), and a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
In Yoku's Iskand Express I spent so many hours struggling with the one way paths through the environment. I found navigation so tangled and annoying that I had to abandon it.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Captain Toad. I love the game but I hate the on-screen cursor in Switch docked mode, so I've limited myself to playing only in handheld mode. But I hardly ever play in handheld mode, so it never really occurs to me to finish the game.
I am with you! The Wii U version of Captain Toad has a better on screen mode. I truly hate the cursor implementation in docked mode. I played through this game on Wii U and was excited for the Switch version, but the on screen cursor ruined it for me. Who knows when I'll ever play it.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
RDRII. Came out late October, had a month to play before my new job started, and by then it was too late. I believe I'm in the middle or maybe near the end of chapter 3. Sucks because RDR was probably my favorite game last gen, and I'm loving every second of II, but not much time for gaming at all anymore.

And that's just one game of many, such as Hollow Knight, where I have probably 15 hours into it on PS4, and I just rebought it for Switch. I have a problem.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can think of a number.

Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War, and Persona 5 were immediately interesting but I gave up on them quickly. I finished Hollow Knight and DQ11 though. In 2017 the only games I finished were BotW, Mario Odyssey, and RE7.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
State of Decay 2

This is literally the worst game I have played all generation, even if I (thankfully) didn't pay a penny towards it.

Laughably buggy, very noticeable performance issues, awful motion blur and by trying to be 'bigger' than the original, it lost quite a lot of charm in the process.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The worst offender for me was going to be Donut County, but I did finally finish it a few days ago. That makes my new worst offender Detective Pikachu, a game that shouldn't take more than 10 hours at a guess and doesn't present a significant gameplay challenge. I started it day one, and still haven't cobbled together the hours to finish it. I don't really have anything bad to say about the game, and it's quite charming in its own way. There's just nothing really driving me to finish it except that it really shouldn't take much more time and effort to do so.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology. I found it difficult to devote time to the game and giving it the atmosphere I felt it deserved.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Warriors Orochi 4 for me. It's fine, but not nearly as enjoyable as Samurai Warriors 4 imo, so I just chip one battle off every two weeks or so.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne (2nd run) - Wanted to get through the whole game with the DLC this time. Stopped after Shadows of Yharnam.

Hollow Knight - Started it and fell off it for some reason. Got like 3 hours in and it didn't grab me. I like the aesthetic tho so I'm gonna try again.

Octopath Traveler - Made it 40 hours in. Made it to everyone's chapter 4's. But I wasn't particularly compelled to complete any of them really. Plus I had done a hard 20 minute boss fight only to loose. Didn't feel like going through the 20+ minutes again nor did I feel like grinding, so I stopped. I think I'll try that boss again sometime. I also want to take on the bosses that hold the other jobs.

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood - Game's kinda hard . . .

Valkyria Chronicles 4 - I mostly enjoyed my time with it, but a pet peeve of mine is games that have tons of dialogue but you HAVE to click through it all. Like there's so much voice acting in that game, why cant I just WATCH all of these cutscenes? I'm sitting here for 10+ minutes at a time before battles doing nothing but watching and clicking along with no auto continue option. Good game tho.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lots - I often don't finish games.

Dark Souls remastered springs to mind though. I was loving it up until Ernstein and Smough but got stuck on them. I spent hours trying to kill them and only got close once.

It's unlikely I'll ever go back.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Dragon Quest 3.

I'm on the final dungeon (I think?) But I couldn't find a way to squeeze a finish before we left for celebrations.

Absolutely amazing game, by the way. One of the most ambicious and groundbreaking games I've ever seen, specially in comparison to games from it's time period. The OP in the awesome "A Guide to Getting Into Dragon Quest" thread described DQ3 as "the single most important japanese game not made by Nintendo" and I completely agree. Most JRPGs inspire themselves in DQ3 to this day.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed Odyssey: Was enjoying my time with it but had enough after 25 hours or so. Will go back to it.

Red Dead Redemption 2: Stopped about halfway through Chapter 3. Enjoying it but got busy and haven't been back since.

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
Too many to list. It usually takes me 1 to 2 years to finish a game. I think I only finished Persona 5, FFXV, and Spiderman this year. I don't think I ever finished any Nintendo Switch games that I purchase each game at launch.

Oct 30, 2017
After dropping a ton of games in 2017, I have to say that 2018 was great for me and my favorite year ever in gaming. I finished and loved games I never thought I would (AC Odyssey, DQ11) and even ended up finishing RDR2, Horizon ZD and Dandara after having dropped each of them at some point.

I guess Spyro 3 is the big one. I remember loving that one as a kid but playing through through trilogy now I liked each entry less than the previous one. The first one is my fave.

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
I've been pretty good at completing games on the Switch. I even finished Dark Souls for the first time because of the portability. I didn't finish God of War - I just don't feel like I have the time to want to sit in front of the TV and play something for hours. I dropped Monster Hunter despite enjoying it a lot - no time to continue. I have avoided buying RDR2 because I am aware of the games' length.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Red Dead 2. I'm very close to the end now, but most times I play I finish a great story mission to be confronted with a 10 minute ride to the next mission, and then quit every time. It's been slow going, but I'll definitely finish it by the end of January.

First time I've earnestly wished a game was rather a movie/ series.

Same for me. Wanted to finish RDR2 before Christmas. But everytime there's a long horse ride between missions I take a break. Everything looks pretty, but to me the open world is not that interesting. The random encounters are ok. Hunting is a bit of a chore imo.

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
Astro Bot VR, I love that game but I get tired in VR quickly, so I only play in short bursts. I couldn't find enough time or right mood to actually put more time into it.

Torment: Tides of Numenera and Deus Ex Mankind Divided. I'm probably 1/3 way through both of them and I enjoyed those games. I started both during the summer when I had nothing to play and I'm not sure whether I can find enough time for something so long that didn't hook me in harder.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. Love the game, but just taking my time. Playing a level here and there in between playing other games. I think I've got 2 or 3 levels left.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Dark Souls Remastered. Idk if I'll ever finish that game, it's just hard to go back to that slower pace (compared to DS3 & BB) and I want to do it co-op but it's hard for my friend and I to find time for an older game when it's much easier to play Fortnite or Smash.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Monster hunter world. Only played the tutorial and first mission. Alot of small things annoyed me so I didn't even want to attempt to get into the game.

Assassins Creed Odyssey, there's just so many missions and I haven't really played it lately. I've lost interest in the story.

Dark Souls Remastered, it just feels too old to me after playing Bloodborne and DS3. All of the bosses are too simple to keep my interest at this point. I already felt that way about DS2 but I can't play through 2 games like that. The remaster should have been a remake.

Yakuza Kiwami 2. Every time I try to play it someone wants to come to the living room and hang out. Too much typed dialog to read with people trying to talk to me. I'll finish it eventually.

Last edited:

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
AC Odyssey. But I just started it in early December and I'm still playing it almost daily. It's just a really long game. About 40 hours in and I think I've covered maybe half the map.