• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
All my friends basically thought it could do what the switch could do...So release the switch

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
1. Ditch the game pad for wireless split controllers and rebrand the system the Wii2

2. Aquire/buy more likeminded independent studios with a goal of increasing consistent content on the system (Team Ninja, Techland, Dontnod, and a few others

3. Actually market NFS Most Wanted U so when the founders of Criterion rage quit EA you can get them to start you a new studio that makes racing games

4. Adopt the Microsoft policy from the 360 era where games must have release date, price and feature parity to be released on your system

5. Ban EA from releasing FIFA on the system if they won't make other games for the platform (they won't) and do a deal with Konomi to make PEZ a Nintendo exclusive franchise

Oct 27, 2017
  • Drop Wii from the name. Call it the Nintendo U.
  • Drop Tablet controller.
  • Drop price to $200.
  • Drop all the family friendly crap and market it like they market the Switch now.
  • Pay for more 2nd/3rd party exclusives.
  • Force Gamefreak to port Pokemon XY/Sun Moon to it.
  • Low budget remakes of fan favorites ( Mother 3, Links Awakening, etc...)
  • No 3DS exclusives. All 3DS titles available on console ( Come on Nintendo, this was the easiest thing you could've done!!!! FFS!!!!!!)

So many easy things they could've done! But it looks like they actually learned and are doing it now with Switch.
This is basically what they could have done... but was Nintendo in the position to do it?

You needed the tablet controller to access basic settings such as Internet connection. That means they should have withdrawn every single unit from retail, update them to support the Pro Controller, bundle the Pro Controller and re-send them to retail. It would have been quite expensive for them and at this point a 200$ price-drop wouldn't have recouped the cost.

As Scott rightly puts in his video, 3DS was Wii U main competitor. If Nintendo refocused its internal team from Wii U to 3DS and produced some Wii U ports of games like Kid Icarus Uprising or Luigi's Mansion, the 3DS would have been hurt badly. And the 3DS was also struggling at the time (even thought less than Wii U, of course).

Basically there's nothing they could have done. Not only was Wii U a bad product, but Nintendo was no longer in the position to mantain two consoles at the same time. Keeping the 3DS alive and releasing a good game every now and then for the hardcore Wii U audience was the right thing to do, waiting for the Switch.

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
There was no saving it when third parties didn't want to support it.

Even core Nintendo franchises in that era just werent strong enough. The tablet didnt offer much in the end as was only a precursor to the innovation of the switch. The tablet was, lets be honest it was a bit bulky and cumbersome to hold for extended periods of time.

Where wii u's beauty lies is that it was the precursor to the switch. Nintendo knew they had something with it and rolled with it in the end.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think Pachter was right that they should have switched to the HD Wii, is the Wii U, a few years earlier.

So maybe that is the solution.

Feb 10, 2018
Would of called the "Nintendo entertainment system" with modern design but some nostalgic ques.

Specs
CPU = 6 bobcat cores @1.2ghz
Gpu = amd 6750
Ram = 4gb gddr5 (512mb reserved for os)
Storage = 250gb HDD
Price = $299

I would get timed 3rd party exclusives, max Payne 3 and resident evil 6 with next gen visuals.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
if you look at the WiiU and the switch, outside of asymetrical game play, it's the same design concept. The problem was that everything was fragmented and therefore limited for proper execution, which then put developers in a situation on how much to invest into the system's unique features. You got the game pad, but essentially also needed Wii controllers WITH motion plus, and/or a pro controller to use ALL the features. Add to the GamePad's limited range, and proprietary AC adapter, you really couldn't do the mobile route either.

The Switch taked everything the WiiU was, but packs it into once sleek, cohesive package. Nintendo needed the WiiU. It was a first attempt of bringing all their generations of gaming from control styles to mobile/console gaming into one device. The Switch nails that idea (one could argue not quite due to lack of a proper D-Pad but you know what i mean).

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
They should have done exactly what they did. It was a dud which didn't differentiate itself enough from its predecessor. To try and save it would be to fall victim to the sunk cost fallacy. Successful businesses know when to cut their losses and move on.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has the funds to make these happen, they just like keeping their famous "war chest" full in case they need it. I mean they worked with Platinum, Koei Tecmo, Valhalla Game Studios, Bandai Namco, etc on exclusives, they just made some odd choices with them:

- The Wonderful 101 while has a cult following was a very hard sell.
- Why Hyrule Warriors when it could've been a crazy new IP? Or something more bonkers like Pokemon Conquest was? Hyrule Warriors wasn't as much of a departure if you think about it. Grabbing Ni-Oh before Sony would've been huge for instance.
- Pokken was awesome but years too late. Something nutty earlier could've been something.
- Devil's Third may have been a poisoned chalice, but maybe if they just redid everything for real (it likely was just salvaging what was done of it), well I don't know. It was a big misfire by Itagaki for sure though.

Nintendo should've spent more of headliners is my point.

And Metroid Prime 4 is my main example of "losing their shit". We only need to see how huge the announcement at E3 2017 was of it. Wii U wished it had that.
You are aware there is another element that goes into game development right, time!
Money wont make time go faster, nor speed up development.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I would remove the gamepad and do a rebranded relaunch with a new marketing campaign, cheaper price, and new games.

I would also divert efforts towards developing online services for digital content management. An Steam for Nintendo games. Try to incentivize Nintendo brand loyalty across generations. None of the upgrade fee BS. Have to try and get as many core wii gamers to upgrade asap.

It's honestly a tough thing to salvage. It's a system for no one.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There are several ways they could have attempted to save it, but exactly none where they would have seen decent ROI.

What they ended up doing was probably the best option: Release all the games currently in development for it and try to serve the userbase as best as possible, while doing all the necessary preparations to ensure the next system's success.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
You are aware there is another element that goes into game development right, time!
Money wont make time go faster, nor speed up development.

There are enough good indie games releasing that time and commissioning exclusives can be circumvented by finding games almost ready to go and buying the exclusive rights to them

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the wii u owned. some great software output there and pretty much a proof of concept for their currently super popular switch.

i guess my answer is, continue working on the next Nintendo console?

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Your list just reads like what they should've done to make Resetera happy lol. I think the system was just fundamentally flawed, and I even liked it. But the "hook" for it kept the costs up and if you take it away it's just a worse system than its competition. I don't think spending more money on it would've changed anything, moving on to Switch was the right call.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Go the Microsoft route with the Kinect and just kill the GamePad.

Make it an optional accessory and release a cheaper version of the console without it. No major games made use of its functionality, and the few relevant ones that did (like Super Mario 3D World's Captain Toad levels) could be patched to circumvent the feature.

I literally never used the GamePad except when mandatory.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There are enough good indie games releasing that time and commissioning exclusives can be circumvented by finding games almost ready to go and buying the exclusive rights to them
Games that then need to be ported to a totally different system (The dev tools for the Wii-u where .. rough),
not alone mentioning that a lot of developers would be like.. "hmm, yeah no", for that exclusive right to publish on a dying console and shitting in the face of people waiting for the game on the platform it was originally announced on. Swiping exclusives is not the best PR move and it lays the shit in the shoes of individual development studios who now have to tell their fan base why their game is suddenly exclusive to the wii-u. Again, wanting something is easy, actually being able to make that happen is hard as hell, and takes time.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Localize Mother 3 and do pretty much everything else they did (Ride it out and focus on the next project)

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I wonder what would have happened if Nintendo had funded and heavily promoted a Wii U version of GTA5. The PS3/360 version came out about a year after the Wii U. Nintendo could have promoted it as the most advanced version and thrown in a few fun exclusives, like a Mario Kart to drive.

qwerty999

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Get rid of Iwata... He introduced the gimmick hardware philosophy which ruined Nintendo in the eyes of core gamers.

Yamauchi really should have cloned himself.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Get rid of Iwata... He introduced the gimmick hardware philosophy which ruined Nintendo in the eyes of core gamers.

Didn't Yamauchi contribute ideas on the Wii and DS? Or am I remembering that wrong? Either way those platforms lined his pockets rather nicely before he passed.

I agree on Iwata setting Nintendo back and stalling their growth in ways though There's no denying that.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

iwata's leadership also produced the wii, ds, and 3ds, and switch, which were all anywhere from reasonably successful to insane breakout hits. and even though the wii u failed, the switch is more or less an evolution of the same hardware concept (except that now the gamepad is the console).

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Save it after its already out?
After launch nothing could save it, but it could have better sales if Nintendo ditched gamepad in order to have lower sale price, and changing marketing to focus on Wii U like first HD Nintendo console or like Wii HD console instead of focus on gamepad.

Mentioning games doesn't make too much sense, because they couldn't release those games in Wii Us first year because they were not ready on time, so it doesnt goes with this story "how to save it after launch".

Saying that, if Nintendo managed Wii U different before launch not only after launch, for instance if Wii U in first year and launch had games like Splatoon, Mario Maker 2 and Mario Kart 8, different marketing and name, cheaper price point without gamepad, IMO Wii U would hit at least 30m.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Would of called the "Nintendo entertainment system" with modern design but some nostalgic ques.

Specs
CPU = 6 bobcat cores @1.2ghz
Gpu = amd 6750
Ram = 4gb gddr5 (512mb reserved for os)
Storage = 250gb HDD
Price = $299

I would get timed 3rd party exclusives, max Payne 3 and resident evil 6 with next gen visuals.

3rd party games are not among biggest reasons why Wii U failed, actually Wii U on its launch and on its first year had solid 3rd party support (much stronger than Switch), and yet Wii U died in its first year.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
This is a terrible idea. Again, the Wii U was losing them money. They are a fiscally conservative company, spending more money on big name games would have potentially led to a situation where they were in the red. That was the mistake Sega made, they kept investing in expensive software even when it was clear the hardware was doomed.
Nintendo was smart to realize early on the Wii U was doomed, and minimize the damage by cutting advertising, and keeping games relatively conservative.

I agree with the general idea but Wii U software was expensive to produce, probably more expensive relatively than Dreamcast software. a game like XCX had a team of 100+ worker on it for more than 4 years. it was also Nintendo's first time into HD development so they invested a lot to upgrade their tech/assets/animations etc. They also invested a lot on the software with apps like Miiverse which was their own social platform.

Wii U was expensive, it was extremely big failure and did cost them a lot of money, but they had 3DS to keep their brand and their series alive.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really subscribe to the notion that the Wii U's failure was a necessary step in the development and success of the Switch because the Switch is a hybrid of portability (something Nintendo has always done well) and a home console (which they have mostly done well).

The Wii U wasn't a portable system but rather some odd notion of functionality that literally nobody asked for; a bulky, expensive, cumbersome controller that allowed you to play games on it but only within relatively close proximity to the console.

They solved a problem nobody had and worse, they sunk all their money into the controller instead of delivering specs that were in any way a meaningful leap over existing (and dated) competitive hardware.

The Wii U was simply a bad product buoyed by a handful of decent exclusives and fortunately, Nintendo rebounded with their best system since the SNES.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Change the name and get those 3rd parties on board ASAP.

Unfortunately though, one of the biggest selling points of the Switch is the portability. Without that, the lack of power on the Wii U really hurt it getting new multi platform games.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
There was no truly saving it, but it could have done slightly better with Nintendo pulling a full third gen Sega. If they offered to port certain cross gen games to the platform themselves like GTA V, MGS V, or MGR as examples - they'd have a stronger line up and definitely sell more systems.

Of course it would set a bad precedent and would be an expensive agreement in the first place - but not much else could be done if the sole goal was to improve the Wii U's outlook.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
5. Make games from dormant IPs that would make fans lose their shit. Metroid Prime 4 was something they needed (and are releasing for Switch... someday). Fans were clamouring for that, plus a new F-Zero, a BIG new Star Fox game (not Zero), stuff like that. It's the exclusives point again, but this time it's from Nintendo's own vault. Diddy Kong Racing 2 would've turned heads as was LONG rumored at the time. How about a true Paper Mario RPG ala TTYD? We didn't really get anything like that on Wii U. Star Fox Zero was the closest I suppose but that just turned out so ugly sadly. Super Mario 3D World not being what Odyssey would be was another misfire. Mario Kart 8 felt like one of the only hits in that regard, but we all knew it was coming. It's just sad the 3D Mario and a lesser extent Smash 4 wasn't that (Ultimate's awesome though).
Didn't the Star Fox, Metroid and F-Zero IPs only sell decently(at best) on the GCN which had a bigger install base and higher attachment rate than the Wii U? This point is odd to me.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK

I don't think the policy that hardware power isn't the be all and end all has been unsuccessful. And also, who are these "core gamers" and why would nintendo want to only pursue a small group of vocal geeks.? Its a business. It makes perfect sense to expand the audience and if you piss off a few people living in their mums spare room, so be it.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
- Fire Genyo Takeda on the spot as he, for what i know, is the responsible deciding that Nintendo had to use a frankenstein'ed version of decades old architecture on Wii and WiiU that could trace back to the GameCube and created major problems for developer.
- Pull an Xbone and remove the GamePad from the sold console and make it optional (and cheap if possible) giving freedom to the developers to make games that don't require the gamepad.
- Intensify efforts on online services like Virtual Console making it very complete and release it with a very frequent cadence.
- Publish and Produce a couple of games with a third party like Platinum and/or Capcom.
- Come up with a plan to see if it's feasible to change the outer shell of the console and maybe change its name too to give the console a better image.

Oct 26, 2017
The WiiU was an inherently flawed concept. Nothing could've saved it. It was needlessly complicated, was confused as to what it should be. It was a WiiHD, and a new way of play, and a social platform and a TV app.

And it did nothing great in the end.
It reeked of a fundamental misunderstanding of what made the Wii great. Instead of clarity of vision, we got shit thrown at a wall to see what sticks.

I don't know if it was hubris or just anxiety to follow up the Wii and DS success, but they clearly needed that kick to the teeth to release the Switch.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
- Don't call it the Wii U
- Hire Doug Browser as head of marketing in 2011
- Launch Price of $250

Just better marketing and a better name would have been a huge boost to initial sales. A cheaper price would have been great too.

I'm trying to avoid the "just make it more powerful trope" .

qwerty999

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't think the policy that hardware power isn't the be all and end all has been unsuccessful. And also, who are these "core gamers" and why would nintendo want to only pursue a small group of vocal geeks.? Its a business. It makes perfect sense to expand the audience and if you piss off a few people living in their mums spare room, so be it.
PS4 says hello...

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
  • Gamepad less model for $229
  • Focus on it being Wii HD
  • Release a real Wii Sports sequel
  • Get Ubisoft to make Red Steel 3
  • Continue the focus on Wii Remote Plus and games that take advantage of it
  • Gamepad becomes an accessory with Nintendoland pack-in for $129
  • Remaster Skyward Sword in HD
  • Remaster Metroid Prime Trilogy in HD and add Gamepad functionality
  • MOAR!! Excite Truck 2 announced
Generation won.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they were smart to realize it's not worth saving and they should move on.
even with that, they put out some amazing games on it that they're able to sell to this day, so overall i'd say the whole thing was a net positive.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
You don't. Public perception of the console was set very early and there was no saving it. In adopting a very unambitious commercial model for the console after launch Nintendo actually managed to (I think) make a profit overall in it. Attempting to "save it" could have cost enough to doom them for all we know.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
It's an interesting question because switch exists and that was clearly the right move for the entire company. I've said it before but switch, despite its hybrid gimmick, is probably the least odd Nintendo console since the gamecube.

I've been going back and playing a lot of Nintendo handhelds recently that I missed first time around. I feel like they could have continued improving the 3ds tech and software to a point where whatever followed the Wii u could have benefited from ideas like street pass. The switch lacks some of that surprise and wonder. It seems odd to say it.

Oct 26, 2017
If we're talking about starting with how the Wii U was back when it launched in 2012, there really isn't anything you could've done to change it's fate. Changing the name, even earlier on, likely would've just added to the confusion and, while making the GamePad optional and having a GamePad-less model would've helped, it wouldn't have reversed it's fortunes in the slightest as it doesn't really have a selling point outside of the GamePad, ironically. It's still using very old and dated hardware that would've made it hard to support more modern engines and receive current gen ports, unlike the Switch. It still would've lacked games outside of Nintendo's own, some indie games, and some games they collaborated on, like TMS. I really doubt games like SMM and Splatoon earlier on or more Western-made exclusives, similar to the likes of, say, Uncharted or God of War, would've changed things all that much. The system couldn't even crack 15 million units. Those sorts of games only help to sell platforms that are already appealing, like the Switch and the PS4. Really, I think a PS4/XB1-esque system would've actually been the way to go back in 2012 as, following the Wii's success, 3rd party developers would've been more willing to give a Nintendo system a chance to not potentially leave a big audience behind, like with what we saw for the Wii U's launch. But, oh well, the Wii U came and went and the Switch is benefiting from what the Wii U had to offer

The DS, Wii, and, now, the Switch also say hello. Not to mention, the 3DS did well, considering the climate it released in

Last edited:

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I felt the biggest issue was not having enough software ready for the first two years, by the time the games started to arrive the PS4 was already out and the Wii U was starting to feel dated.
I'd probably have liked to see minimal Wii support continuing for 2 more years until the end of 2013 while HD development was taking place in the background and a more powerful Wii U launching in 2014 with 3D World, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Wonderful 101, Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros as launch window or first year titles.
Better support for indies and virtual console would also have helped.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Its best use is emulation and backwards comparability, so I would have emphasised that and offered a wider VC selection. Wouldn't have made much money, but people might have been happier with the platform.