• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Some better English translations and detail are available courtesy of the Mother Forever fan site:

The Hobonichi MOTHER Project

<p>Announced yesterday, Hobonichi has begun their brand new Hobonichi MOTHER Project!Watch my translation of the project’s announcement to hear more about their upcoming MOTHER book. In addition to the book, it seems like new content and merchandise are on their way, according to Shigesato Itoi...

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Yaaaay...

Not unhappy, but this is very disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
5GlB.gif

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
It would be a video game dream come true if Itoi returned to the Mother franchise for an end-of-life retrospective game. Perfect way to cap off the series.

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Because it was a niche RPG series that generally didn't sell well and only ever had one game released outside of Japan.
And both that game and its never-officially-released prequel's English version both performed exceptionally well on the Wii U and New 3DS Virtual Consoles, and EarthBound was also included on the SNES Classic.

The IP still matters to Nintendo, and there's a non-zero chance that whatever is announced here could get an official English release. Maybe not the trilogy script book, but whatever else that's set to be announced.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
And both that game and its never-officially-released prequel's English version both performed exceptionally well on the Wii U and New 3DS Virtual Consoles, and EarthBound was also included on the SNES Classic.

The IP still matters to Nintendo, and there's a non-zero chance that whatever is announced here could get an official English release. Maybe not the trilogy script book, but whatever else that's set to be announced.

F-Zero is on the SNES Classic as well but I wouldn't say the IP matters that much to Nintendo. To be sure EarthBound is considered a cult classic but it's no surprise Nintendo barely touches the series. I think stuff like Smash gives fans the impression the series is bigger than it is. I say this as a fan of the series that's played the whole trilogy.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
So are these just going to be manga with text from the games plugged into the speech bubbles, or is Itoi actually going to write and edit for these to adapt the storyline to a different medium?

I would love it if he did a prose version of the storylines from the games, not just manga (and then if it were translated into English).

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So are these just going to be manga with text from the games plugged into the speech bubbles, or is Itoi actually going to write and edit for these to adapt the storyline to a different medium?

I would love it if he did a prose version of the storylines from the games, not just manga (and then if it were translated into English).
It's going to be a book filled with the scripts of all 3 games in the EarthBound/Mother trilogy. There will be additional announcements in the project, but we're not sure what they could be. They presumably include whatever they needed to hire a manga artist for.

I'm excited, worried, and masochistically hopeful. The life of an EarthBound fan.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
It's going to be a book filled with the scripts of all 3 games in the EarthBound/Mother trilogy. There will be additional announcements in the project, but we're not sure what they could be. They presumably include whatever they needed to hire a manga artist for.

I'm excited, worried, and masochistically hopeful. The life of an EarthBound fan.
Hrm. That seems weird to me. The scripts on their own wouldn't make much sense without any context, unless he's writing new prose to explain what happens in between the bits of dialogue. I mean you wouldn't even know what location most of the dialogue is taking place in without some sort of explanation.

Curious what those new announcements could be, though.

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Radiation/Toby Fox of Undertale fame is doing art for it as well (his pen name in katakana on the right).

unknown.png

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Translation of the tweet (Credit Hina on the EB server) said:
"To all MOTHER fans. This is the first announcement for Hobonichi's MOTHER project. With those who love MOTHER we've put together a comic tribute."

Translation summary of the video (Credit EclipseMT on the MOTHER Forever server) said:
Together with the people who like MOTHER so much, we created a tribute comic. The comic and illustrations were drawn by 35 manga artists and writers, who each like the MOTHER series. Early sales(preorder?) on June 12, 2020 at 1100(JST) from the Hobonichi Store. A sticker sheet included as a bonus.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
A book about Mother series staring many of my favorite manga artists?

YEP this is for me.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon JP link, though it doesn't seem to be shipping outside of Japan.

Pollyanna | ほぼ日Pollyanna編集部 |本 | 通販 | Amazon

Amazonでほぼ日Pollyanna編集部のPollyanna。アマゾンならポイント還元本が多数。ほぼ日Pollyanna編集部作品ほか、お急ぎ便対象商品は当日お届けも可能。またPollyannaもアマゾン配送商品なら通常配送無料。

Also confirms it's 224 pages.

Godai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon JP link, though it doesn't seem to be shipping outside of Japan.

Pollyanna | ほぼ日Pollyanna編集部 |本 | 通販 | Amazon

Amazonでほぼ日Pollyanna編集部のPollyanna。アマゾンならポイント還元本が多数。ほぼ日Pollyanna編集部作品ほか、お急ぎ便対象商品は当日お届けも可能。またPollyannaもアマゾン配送商品なら通常配送無料。

Also confirms it's 224 pages.

Ordered, thank you!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Hear me out.

What if they get Junji Ito to take part in this & he draws his own version of Giygas?

Any word on the full list of authors/mangaka? I saw the Nichijou art style in there & a few others that look familiar but I can't pinpoint the name.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Any word on the full list of authors/mangaka? I saw the Nichijou art style in there & a few others that look familiar but I can't pinpoint the name.

Got to work on some preliminary research for an article I'll write tomorrow and this is what I've found so far:

Aoki Toshinao (Pokemon Trading Card Game Illustrations)
Asano Inio (Solanin/Goodnight Punpun)
Arai Keichi (Nichijou)
Masakazu Ishiguro (SoreMachi/Heavenly Delusion)
Nobuhiro Imagawa (HeroLand/Mother 3 Art Director)
Furutori (母ちゃんだってほめられたい LINE Stickers)
Koji Oishi (Lycopene the Tomatoy Poodle)

Furutori drew a comic based on Ness's Mom and wrote about her guest appearance below:

There were a couple others I couldn't find anything on (Abe Kyomi, A Mérica, Wada Radio, eyes of sheep., and Yuichi Ogata), so if anyone else could out that'd be great!

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Holy crap. All of this is a lot to take in. The implications...

What else do you think they are working on? I'll basically buy whatever it is in all honesty.

I beseech the Video Game Gods through their prophet Nintendo: Give the people Mother 4.

(and 3 too please)

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Got to work on some preliminary research for an article I'll write tomorrow and this is what I've found so far:

Aoki Toshinao (Pokemon Trading Card Game Illustrations)
Asano Inio (Solanin/Goodnight Punpun)
Arai Keichi (Nichijou)
Masakazu Ishiguro (SoreMachi/Heavenly Delusion)
Nobuhiro Imagawa (HeroLand/Mother 3 Art Director)
Furutori (母ちゃんだってほめられたい LINE Stickers)
Koji Oishi (Lycopene the Tomatoy Poodle)

Furutori drew a comic based on Ness's Mom and wrote about her guest appearance below:

There were a couple others I couldn't find anything on (Abe Kyomi, A Mérica, Wada Radio, eyes of sheep., and Yuichi Ogata), so if anyone else could out that'd be great!
Holy crap, SoriMachi, now that's a name I haven't heard of in years. Goodnight Punpun was a trip & a half.

Yuichi Ogata seems to be more obscure, all I could find was a series called "BRE@KING" & a manga adaptation of that Monster Strike mobile game, along with his Pixiv account: https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/1664409

Edit: Radio Wada is a gag artist, but all I could find was his own site: http://www4.plala.or.jp/radiow/

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I hate that this is toying with my heart...I hate this feeling that knowing announcements are coming gives me, but getting my hopes up for something game related, even like a Switch version of Mother 3 or something...but the worst part is, that any announcement is not even guaranteed for the west.

I love this series so much, but it's like being in an abusive relationship.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Ah this looks nice, I want to buy this! But not shipping outside of Japan? Sigh, I don't think I want it enough to go through some delivery service to get it.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap. All of this is a lot to take in. The implications...

What else do you think they are working on? I'll basically buy whatever it is in all honesty.

I beseech the Video Game Gods through their prophet Nintendo: Give the people Mother 4.

(and 3 too please)
Mother fourever

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
OMG this looks awesome. Not sure what Itoi is cooking up with these announcements, but I'm in for this. Hopefully it gets an English localization.