• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
canada
Imagine its the next Nier game. Youre an android and at some part of the game youre severely injured. The game starts dipping slowly from 60fps down to 40 down to 23 to 10, to 5.. And then youur character comments on how life looks like a slideshow

What are some random gameplay ideas you think would be cool to see

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I thought about a fighting game character whos gimmick is to cause lag spikes to mess up inputs.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
no

nononononono

I would be ready to strangle someone after 5 seconds of that.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I always liked the idea of a game physically shutting down due to kicking a boss's ass so hard while a billion effects just kills it.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
That's pretty inventive OP but for the sake of playability maybe as a one off scripted moment. Saints Row did something similar in the virtual world against Matt Miller in 3 were it starts glitching during the boss fight

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think the cute joke would be worth the confusion and suffering there.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
That's actually something that Valentine can do in Skullgirls. One of her poison effects gives the opponent input lag.
That's cool! I haven't messed around in SG enough to figure out what characters can do, I need to go back to that game.

Although for what I was thinking, I was thinking a character that sets an invisible timer and when that timer completes, the match itself would lag spike.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what about a part where a digital virus gets set loose and the game just starts requiring downloads that fill your hard drive with hundreds of gigabytes of bloat over time unless you figure out how to remove it

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
In Metroid Prime 2 there was an enemy that could "hack" your suit and transmit a virus that made everything run at like 5fps, forcing you to reboot your visor to purge it.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I remember there was an interview where he joked about something like that; maybe you'll get your wish someday.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that'd be interesting if the rest of the game didn't suffer from frame rate issues...

which would be a pipe dream. reminds me of the Deadpool game making a joke about shitty sewer levels. then proceeded to be a shitty sewer level without irony

Dec 14, 2017
Some would say that Yoko Taro already did this in some of his games. But yes, I would enjoy a bit like that.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
I remember there was an interview where he joked about something like that; maybe you'll get your wish someday.

Indeed he did! In a 2015 interview with Chris Kohler.

With a game as rule-breaking as Nier, ideas might come at any moment. When Saito mentions that Platinum Games wants the new title to run at 60 frames per second, Yoko picks up his phone and starts typing out a note.

"It would be great to have the game function at 60 frames per second, but that's not an absolute must," Yoko says a minute later. "But through that conversation we were having a moment ago, I thought it might be interesting to have a boss battle where a certain attack he does might drop the framerate ridiculously low."

Or maybe, he said, the boss would cause the game's display resolution to drop unexpectedly. Yoko noted this on his phone, too.

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be a true Yoko Taro game if there wasn't some sort of mechanic or set piece specifically designed to frustrate the player.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
i have thought for a while that some sort of enemy attack to lower your framerate could be as funny as it would be interesting, Nier's raid in FFXIV should have a boss do exactly that.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
It should randomly crash throughout the game, and you have to replay bits but new story is added. The kicker is there's real crashes too, so you don't' know which is which.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think the cute joke would be worth the confusion and suffering there.
Yoko Taro:
giphy.gif

1UjTw4R.gif

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Imagine its the next Nier game. Youre an android and at some part of the game youre severely injured. The game starts dipping slowly from 60fps down to 40 down to 23 to 10, to 5.. And then youur character comments on how life looks like a slideshow

What are some random gameplay ideas you think would be cool to see
Problem is that half the gaming community couldn't see the framerate change

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Hey, wouldn't it be neat if the game you're playing slowly went from 4K to 1440p, to 1080p, to 720p, to 240p? Or if your settings went from Ultra, to High, to Medium, to Low, to Minimum?

Frame rate is just as important to image quality as resolution and level of graphics detail. Don't think it would be fun at all to intentionally lower any of those for an in-game gimmick.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, wouldn't it be neat if the game you're playing slowly went from 4K to 1440p, to 1080p, to 720p, to 240p? Or if your settings went from Ultra, to High, to Medium, to Low, to Minimum?

Frame rate is just as important to image quality as resolution and level of graphics detail. Don't think it would be fun at all to intentionally lower any of those for an in-game gimmick.
Fidelity demakes already exist, and are surprising popular. Dragging FPS down the gutter has the least cause to be charming.
Edit: I mean, what you described is Kane and Lynch 2.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Arkham Asylum already did one of the examples of this in the third Scarecrow nightmare.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Sounds just like something weird and quirky that he'll do. No thanks though.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I always liked the idea of a game physically shutting down due to kicking a boss's ass so hard while a billion effects just kills it.

you should play undertale on pc! That's all I'm going to say. Just play undertale.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Using up your stamina bar causes a lower frame rate would be a neat temporary punishment item in a rogue like or something.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
We are already getting hate threads on the small part where you were debilitated in Automata so imagine what this could do to Era.

Actually, let's do it.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a terrible idea and a painfully on-the-nose "meta" bit, so yeah, it'd be perfect for a Yoko Taro game.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I have an idea for a platformer/metroidvania game that starts off with 4-color gameboy graphics at the original gameboy's resolution. As you progress through the game, each upgrade your character gets will upgrade the graphics (though the framerate stays at 60). One upgrade will dissolve the black bars at the sides of the screen and give you widescreen; one will increase the color palette, and so forth.

Some of these upgrades enable you to see things in previous levels that you couldn't before, encouraging replayability. Not only can you find even more upgrades in previous levels, but the player will also want to experience these levels with the new graphics they have obtained since.