• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Will this allow me to see all my thousands of itch.io games from that bundle? Thats all i want, not having to click on every game before I see it.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
So as someone who already has the itch.io launcher thing through itch.io itself, will I have any need for this? Any UI improvements or other improvements?

This thing:
itch.io

Download App

itch, the best way to download and play indie games. Download free games and manage your library from your desktop. Now available for Windows, macOS and Linux.

Edit: It looks the same, so just seems like a pointless extra step...

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The other apps make sense since they already had Spotify on there but adding itch.io seems like an attempt to give them leverage or something in the Apple lawsuit.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it dosn't make total sense, anything to expand and share more itch.io is a plus.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
That seems very weird.

Not really. Now is last week of preparation of EGS vs Apple lawsuit, with court sessions starting after next week.
So they can use it as evidence that as another "EGS does it therefore Apple must do it too".
They already did it for 12% cut and changed MTXN rules on EGS to external payments and submitted argument now Apple must do so too.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Epic looking to do anything to win against Apple, no matter how vile or insincere its actions are. It's like a kid worked really hard during a summer to buy a toy and Epic just wants to take it no matter what without doing the work. They've been desperate since the very beginning.

I dislike companies like these.

Last edited:

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Hope it leads to more folks finding amazing games on itch and folks getting paaaaaiiiiiid

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling and hostility over a series of posts
this is exclusively a good thing, but of course people will find reasons to deny developers additional eyes on their games.
itch is cooler than your beloved steam btw 😎

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
Hey dawg, we put a game launcher in your game launcher so you can launch games when you're already launching games.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

So yeah. Even Leaf is like "yeah I know what you doing fam still OK". They even say it was Epic the one to contact them lol

Grimmer

Apr 3, 2018
81611693.jpg

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of intentions, itch is cool and hopefully it leads to more people using it.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

So yeah. Even Leaf is like "yeah I know what you doing fam still OK". They even say it was Epic the one to contact them lol

But they are also just hosting exe file for the store not all itch assets so Apple can defend themselves without too much issue. In app cases Epic Store is basically acting like browser but then again you still need to download Epic Store somehow so this whole thing looks more like a mess for users than something to help Epic at court.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Now is last week of preparation of EGS vs Apple lawsuit, with court sessions starting after next week.
So they can use it as evidence that as another "EGS does it therefore Apple must do it too".
They already did it for 12% cut and changed MTXN rules on EGS to external payments and submitted argument now Apple must do so too.
Yeah, this is 100% what this move is. EGS is less of a store, and more of a money pit that Epic can throw around to attempt to make what they're asking for look reasonable.
this is exclusively a good thing, but of course people will find reasons to deny developers additional eyes on their games.
Epic's intentions with even allowing this on their store are far from pure. There are some pretty good reasons why this sort of store-ception doesn't normally happen, and Epic is absolutely trying to pretend those don't exist to support their lawsuit. The direct implications of itch.io getting onto EGS are vastly overshadowed by the potential implications of what Epic is going to use this as an argument in favor of.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
You realize that one can be for this, and for improved visibility of indie games in general while at the same time have objections to Epic's other business practices, yes? It's the wonder of being able to have a rational, nuanced take on things....

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 month): trolling and antagonistic meta-commentary over a series of posts. Long history of the same behaviour in similar threads.
This is good news right? Why are people upset in this thread over this news.

Oh right pure platform wars. Carry on.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

You know that discoverability on Epic Store is awful and that it will get even worse over time if they don't do something? How many people even know that itch is on Epic Store? There are no separate Apps tab and they are not even featured on the front page. In a month people will forgot that it is even there. Epic can't make people spend money on their own store let alone point them to spend money on other stores.