• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I work as a journalist here in Italy and some officials during the day already discussed in public the high chance of a regional lockdown. Then, the document was leaked by local institutions. But everything was quite obvious since this morning, apart from some areas outside Lombardia that are going to be considered "red" (like Pesaro, where the numbers are climbing up and they probably want to avoid a situation similar to Bergamo or Lodi).

Fellow italian journo here, i can confirm all of this. The draft has been making the rounds in ANSA agency since last night.
Today at the Protezione Civile press conference some collegues started pressing, at this point it was obvious they had to say something today due to the amount of discussion regarding said measures.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think part of the thinking they have is that they are going to try and salvage the tourist season for late May/June/July/August, which is the high part of the tourism season and ride out March with extreme measures. The Italian economy is obviously massively reliant on tourism.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Has already been said that this "decree" was a draft, that has leaked before being ratified and now people are fleeing in mass those red zones?

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
What a fuck up. If a major US city were to attempt this I'd reckon the same thing would happen.

as a citizen of a major us city, I'm bunkering down.

Oct 30, 2017
Think part of the thinking they have is that they are going to try and salvage the tourist season for late May/June/July/August, which is the high part of the tourism season and ride out March with extreme measures. The Italian economy is obviously massively reliant on tourism.

hoping this is the case and more importantly that it works. planning to go there on honeymoon in july :/

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
So there are 14 provinces instead of 11 on lock down now?

what are the additional provinces? I can't find shit online.

Decree is now official (other 3 provinces included)
OP
OP
Dany1899

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
The decree is official: Lombardia and 14 other provinces are in virtual lockdown until April 3

www.repubblica.it

Coronavirus, il governo 'chiude' la Lombardia e 14 province: "Cambiare lo stile di vita"

Fino al 3 aprile divieto di uscita ed entrata per le aree coinvolte. La stretta che riguarda direttamente circa 16 milioni di cittadini decisa nella notte dopo…

Provinces that are red zones are :
Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio Emilia, Rimini, Pesaro e Urbino, Venezia, Padova, Treviso, Asti, Alessandria, Novara, Vercelli and Verbano Cusio Ossola

Text of the decree (in Italian):

Last edited:

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
So there are 14 provinces instead of 11 on lock down now?

what are the additional provinces? I can't find shit online.

It's a huge increase. Around 50,000 people were locked down before. Now it's up to 16 millions.

GYIVte7.jpg

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
It's a huge increase. Around 50,000 people were locked down before. Now it's up to 16 millions.

GYIVte7.jpg

I mean that they locked down 3 additional provinces since yesterday. this map shows just the 11 original provinces. see dany1899 post above

edit: also the 50.000 lock down was the very first lock down 2 weeks ago.

@ dany1899
thank you

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, there's 3 additional provinces in. Including where I live. Welp, it's gonna be quite a ride.

Last edited:

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
People can move in and out if they work outside or inside the red zone, fortunately.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dany1899

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Source?
My dad's company is in fano and he is wondering if he can go there at all. He is foreigner though.
No one gives him any infos.
In the official decree there is the following point:
evitare ogni spostamento alle persone fisiche in entrata e in uscita dai territori di cui al presente articolo, nonché all'interno dei medesimi territori, salvo che per gli spostamenti motivati da comprovate esigenze lavorative o situazioni di necessità, ovvero spostamenti per motivi di salute
avoid any movement to enter and leave the territories referred to in this article, as well as within the same territories, except for movements motivated by proven work needs or situations of necessity, or movements for health reasons
It is not clear what "proven work needs" mean, though.

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ordered a T-shirt which was sent out of Milan yesterday and arrives today. Needless to say I'm surprised there aren't any delays.

And I noticed today that our work put a job posting for Lombardy on LinkedIn yesterday - good timing!

Last edited:

watkinzez

Oct 25, 2017
Straya mate
I was expecting flights to the areas in lockdown would be cancelled, but looking at a flight tracker right now, that clearly isn't the case. Are they only enforcing this on residents or something?

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
In the official decree there is the following point:

It is not clear what "proven work needs" mean, though.
I think it's "I am going to work because my boss said so", or "If I don't go to work bad things happen". If you are a "libero professionista" and your work is not a vital service, maybe you can just stay home.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yup.

Once the hysteria reaches the US West Coast (if it hasn't done so already) then we are pretty much overdrive into a global recession. That would arguably kill a lot more people.
I mean the cruise ship I was on was kept from Debarking for a full day despite being in port and having no one with symptoms because a woman was pulled off yesterday for a critical medical condition despite having zero symptoms so they tested her. The whole thing was a joke as they didn't put us on the ship on lockdown and for 4 hours we were all in close quarters and couldn't return to our rooms.
Then again O.C./LA area have been getting more hysterical and paranoid for the last two weeks

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't China though. I'm not sure anyone knows how people will react if this drags on. People in a democracy isn't as submissive as those in authoritarian states and the police forces have nowhere the same powers. Which are good things, obviously. But it also means that measures like this might not be manageable.

Stupid people will try to bypass the containment, that is human nature and happened also in China, but i lived 30 years in Italy, people will not riot.

The same i guess in Europe and the sensible part of US.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm from Milan and this is all sorts of crazy.

I know it's dumb, but amidst all of this I've had a job interview for a position overseas, and I'm wondering if this kind of news will impact the company's decision to hire someone from such a locked down zone.

Bel Paese dei Meme.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I can't believe how quickly all of this has escalated. My wife and I are scheduled to go to Amalfi at the end of April. At this point I will be shocked if we get to go.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
My flight to Venice still isn't canceled for early April. How is that possible?
I don't think they're forbidding people from entering these places. Like it says above:
" avoid any movement to enter and leave the territories referred to in this article, as well as within the same territories, except for movements motivated by proven work needs or situations of necessity, or movements for health reasons "
Why would they cancel the flight under those rules?

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
With that much air and land traffic still going in and out of these region this isn't much of a lockdown right now. It's really half-assed and I'm not sure it will slow down the virus like this.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
I'm from Milan and this is all sorts of crazy.

I know it's dumb, but amidst all of this I've had a job interview for a position overseas, and I'm wondering if this kind of news will impact the company's decision to hire someone from such a locked down zone.

I wouldn't worry, this is soon going to be a worldwide problem. Every country is going to deal with this.

With that much air and land traffic still going in and out of these region this isn't much of a lockdown right now. It's really half-assed and I'm not sure it will slow down the virus like this.

This is the problem, while there's a lockdown it still feels half-assed. The problem is that in a Western democracy you can't do something like what the Chinese government did in Wuhan, you just can't. The virus is already all around Italy (they should've banned traveling from those regions sooner), the other regions need to act right now, closing gyms and movie theaters are not enough, yes it's going to be rough for the economy, but the faster you contain the virus the faster you can restart again (see China). The only "good" news is that since there are countless of untested positive people it means that the mortality rate should be much lower than what it is right now.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
IMPORTANT NEWS:

www.ilmattino.it

Coronavirus a Napoli, pazienti gravi trattati con farmaco anti-artrite

Grazie ad una collaborazione tra l’Azienda Ospedaliera dei Colli e Istituto Nazionale Tumori Irccs Fondazione Pascale, due pazienti affetti da polmonite severa Covid 19 sono stati trattati con...

Press Release published by Il Mattino (italian newspaper)

Very promising results have been observed in Italy, especially in sever cases thanks to an off label medicine already in the first 24 hours after infusion. The same medicine has showed good results also in 21 chinese patients. The protocol does not interfere with normal treatment.

We might actually be on the way to cure this fucking thing.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
IMPORTANT NEWS:

www.ilmattino.it

Grazie ad una collaborazione tra l’Azienda Ospedaliera dei Colli e Istituto Nazionale Tumori Irccs Fondazione Pascale, due pazienti affetti da polmonite severa Covid 19 sono stati trattati con...

Very promising results have been observed in Italy, especially in sever cases thanks to an off label medicine already in the first 24 hours after infusion. The same medicine has showed good results also in 21 chinese patients. The protocol does not interfere with normal treatment.

That's not a cure. That medication will reduce the effect of inflammation but it does not eliminate the virus. But yes any treatments news is good

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
That's not a cure. That medication will reduce the effect of inflammation but it does not eliminate the virus. But yes any treatments news is good

Iflamation in the lungs is the worst part of this virus along with kidney failure so...yes, i'd say it's excellent news for the treatment as a whole, given this doesn't interfere with antivirals.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
IMPORTANT NEWS:

www.ilmattino.it

It's not a cure it simply helps with inflammation in this case this medication was devised mainly for PAR and autoimmune diseases. Moreover monoclonal antibodies are extremely costly and not affordable worldwide.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It's not a cure it simply helps with inflammation in this case this medication was devised mainly for PAR and autoimmune diseases. Moreover monoclonal antibodies are extremely costly and not affordable worldwide.

I guess i wasn't clear enough: i never said THIS IS THE CURE (multiple people felt the need to point out that "this isn't a cure!!!") ^_^''
The fact is that lung inflamation and kidney failure are the worst parts of this virus. Patients are already being treated with antivirals, and keeping the inflamation in check in severe cases leads to potentially MUCH better treatment.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
I teach in the university in Bologna and it might well be that open-door lectures will be suspended at least until June. Only online lectures from now onwards.
This is crazy unprecedented. I wonder what the next week's will look like as it seems like the restrictions are going to need to ramp up unless the cases / deaths start to level off.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So how does the food supply work then? How will they get their food? Seems like people will cluster when there's food available then it'll likely just spread the disease inside to more people.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New presser with the prime minister in 10-15 minutes. The lockdown could be extended to the entire country.

Edit: it's on right now, new measures include:
- lockdown extended to the entire country
- movement limited to work, necessity or emergency
- no assembling in public places in any case

Last edited:

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 days): fearmongering over multiple posts in a sensitive thread
Welp, Italy is done.

Now wait a month and the rest of Europe will be the same.