• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I read this thread, I had no idea the mic defaulted to on. I haven't played any online games yet, but I definitely would not have noticed unless someone said something to me.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
This decision is definitely dumb as hell. Worse, even. It's insidious. When it comes to privacy I no longer give the benefit of the doubt.

StonerSage

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
I hated when I heard people coming out of the controller, it's always some vulgar stuff, so on PS5 I now just start a private party when I play.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely agree that it should be muted by default

Parent's screaming at their kids. People coughing into their mic (yuck), people just having conversations with someone else in the room.
but this isn't new. Multiplayer games on the PS4 had me muting nearly everyone because of stuff like this. Lots of music, lots of coughing, lots of eating, lots of abusive parents...

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

but this isn't new. Multiplayer games on the PS4 had me muting nearly everyone because of stuff like this. Lots of music, lots of coughing, lots of eating, lots of abusive parents...
Voice Chat should ALWAYS be optional and off by default. I hate that and don't want to listen to other people's crappy mics.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I covered this in my post.

Obviously this is always a problem with game chat to an extent, but the issue is usually reduced by the fact that players need to have specifically plugged a mic in/chosen to talk to the world rather than having it just be active on their controller without them knowing.

It's an age old issue made worse by the fact that it's suddenly unfiltered and you're adding people to the chat pool that don't even know their mic is on. At least on the PS3 the pool was reduced by people having to have had to plug in their headset and put it on. It wasn't 100% of people's controllers always picking up every noise they made all of the time.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but you had to have a mic plugged in for that right?
Mostly but not always. Remote play and, I believe, the PS Camera will both use their mic. I've overheard a lot of people who were surprised that they were audible.

I covered this in my post.

It's an age old issue made worse by the fact that it's suddenly unfiltered and you're adding people to the chat pool that don't even know their mic is on. At least on the PS3 the pool was reduced by people having to have had to plug in their headset and put it on. It wasn't 100% of people's controllers always picking up every noise they made all of the time.

Yeah, I'm not dismissing what you're saying. Yes, it's been a problem, and, yes, now it's much worse.

May 25, 2019
London
Definitely agree, because I have accidentally captured gameplay clips on my PS5 that are also capturing audio from the mic. I realize there's a system level setting to change that, but I also want to sometimes capture mic input when playing multiplayer

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Here's a tip I came up with while hating the ugly orange light on my controller after I defaulted the mic to being off in the OS... take a snippet of black electrical tape and cover it up. It blends into the black rubber of the controller so you'd never notice it is there.

If you ever need a reminder that your mic is off, you can see the mic icon crossed out whenever you go to the main options row at the bottom of the screen where the system power off button is hidden (another stupid mistake from the PS5's terrible U.I.).

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Mostly but not always. Remote play and, I believe, the PS Camera will both use their mic. I've overheard a lot of people who were surprised that they were audible.
True. It's just reckless and dumb for it to be 100% of the population that owns PS5s. Has to be updated to default to off and then you turn it on.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Oh, haven't played DAS online yet but I'm not looking forward to all the random voice chat sounds. And yeah I agree the mic should default to off.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree.

It's a neat feature, and a cool idea to get a 'free' mic to everyone, but it doesn't need to be on by default. At the very least prompt the user during setup to set the 'default' state of the mic from then on.

My very first match of Destruction All-Stars was a group of dudes doing the old Budweiser 'wasssssup' thing, followed by the entire lobby agreeing mics being forced on was terrible lol. Probably one of the better possible annoying outcomes.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I 100% agree that the mic should start off as muted - that should always be the default. And the light should turn on when the mic is on.

Shining Star I cannot find this setting. Any chance you can provide some simple directions on where to find this in Settings. Thanks.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
100%
It should be off by default and the light being on should mean that the mic is live

I can't imagine anyone thinking that it being on by default is a good idea

Also chat audio coming out of the controller is stupid and sounds awful

SaN1ty24

Nov 15, 2017
Go to Settings
Go to Sound
Change the "Microphone status when logged in" setting to "Mute" instead of "On."

960x0.jpg

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Oddly enough, if the controller mic is muted the microphone on my headset is also muted. And if the controller mic is on, then game chat comes out of the controller and not my television speakers.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Light being on when it's muted is really annoying

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I will co sign this. In Fallout 76, everyone joins public groups because you get special buffs then go do their own thing and no one has their mics on.

I caught myself broadcasting whatever I'm watching on iPad into the group chat several times before I wised up and fixed the settings.
Oh so you're the person who is multitasking and actually watching something while playing online

I'm surprised how common this is. I come across people in apex legends all the time with a mic on and some other media playing through their mics

Last edited:

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I agree, and I also think this would be a huge sandal if Microsoft did it with XBOX. Granted, Microsoft is more of a data company, so the upset would be more so warranted.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Funny enough, and I'm not defending mics or not, but I caught a great moment on accident when I was playing Demon's Souls. My brother was sitting watching with me, and we encountered the red eye knight/guard in the first area that is probably too strong for the player. I was trying to fight him and had to run away, he followed a lot further than I thought and we had the idea to try and use the fire barrels in the tower that's to the left of the front gate because we hadn't destroyed them on the way up. Unfortunately I slipped and fell while moving the camera to watch him, but luckily we only fell a few levels and didn't die. All of a sudden the red knight flies all the way down the stairs in front of us, he followed us over the edge and to his death. The mic caught me and my brothers nervousness, dread from falling, relief from not dying, and elation and laughter after the Red Eye died. It was the greatest moment. I saved the clip but I didn't think there would be our audio. I just liked the clip. It was a cool moment.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Oh so you're the person who is multitasking and actually watching something while playing online

I'm surprised how common this is

I can't not do this. I tend to gravitate to grindy games these days as a result.

Back in the day, a roommate and I had two TV's in the living room and I got hooked on it. Nowadays it's game on the TV, tv show on the iPad.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
Hooo boy, so you're telling me everyone could hear my rant while I was getting destroyed in destruction all stars yesterday?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I can't not do this. I tend to gravitate to grindy games these days as a result.

Back in the day, a roommate and I had two TV's in the living room and I got hooked on it. Nowadays it's game on the TV, tv show on the iPad.
I'm probably working my way to this anyway. As soon as a match is over or when I'm waiting I scoop up the phone and stare at it

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
Back in the PS360 era, my favorite thing about playing games online on PS3 versus 360 was that most people on PS3 didn't have mics.

I can't think of a single online gaming experience since Dreamcast that was made better by the inclusion of voice chat.
Xbox live voice chat was pretty great in its infancy imo, the amount of shit talking was legendary

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
I agree. I also think the light should be on if the mic is on, not if the mic is muted.

exactly this, hate how out of place that orange color looks on the controller, just because i have mic off by default.

make it orange when its on, so it can be an ugly reminder to people they have a mic listening.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'm probably working my way to this anyway. As soon as a match is over or when I'm waiting I scoop up the phone and stare at it

It's addictive.

To be fair, I've always multitasked. As a kid, I used to play solitaire with real cards on the coffee table while we watched TV. Then the game boy happened. Then the two tv thing. Now iPad and TV. I like to multitask I guess.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Fully agree.

Also, why is the complete system sound muted everytime I come back to play after my controller has turned off automatically with headphones plugged in? I need to long press the mic button to get sound again.

This happens often to me when I'll have to go upstairs to soothe my baby when she wakes up from sleep.

Weird design decisions surrounding that button.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
I agree on this, OP. I was playing The Division 2 / Black OPs and I was like oh shit People can hear me talking to myself haha.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at my DualSense just now, I guess the fact that they've clearly labelled the button as a mute button (it's a mic with a cross through it) probably means they'd never make this change so as not to be confusing.