• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Literally all that needs to be added to op op "published" between party and M-rated and everyone can STFU with the hair splitting

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that after Resi4 the only two third party titles to reach number 1 were Bayo2 n Mk11 still holds weight people. Even if you can get people to concede and ignore that Nintendo had to fund Bayonetta 2, thus effectively making it like a first party title that Platinum n sega cant put elsewhere, this is kind of a big deal even if that game counts.

That's two games in a 14 year run. When third party M rated game hasn't come close to having that type of drought on other consoles.

Just speaks to the larger point that's always been obvious, Nintendo systems tend to get less buyers for third party games than the other two consoles. It is what it is.

This is horseshit without context. How many of the qualifying titles for this particular metric had launch day and date releases on Nintendo consoles? Because last I checked MK11 and RE4 werent multi year old ports.... Maybe that has something to do with it?

Nah. Lets pretend that doesn't matter. Lets port GTA V which has been out forever, to the Switch all these years later, then hold it against Nintendo if it doesn't manage a #1 launch on a multi year old port. Thats fair.

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that after Resi4 the only two third party titles to reach number 1 were Bayo2 n Mk11 still holds weight people. Even if you can get people to concede and ignore that Nintendo had to fund Bayonetta 2, thus effectively making it like a first party title that Platinum n sega cant put elsewhere, this is kind of a big deal even if that game counts.

That's two games in a 14 year run. When third party M rated game hasn't come close to having that type of drought on other consoles.

Just speaks to the larger point that's always been obvious, Nintendo systems tend to get less buyers for third party games than the other two consoles. It is what it is.
It has a lot less to do with Nintendo folk not buying 3rd party titles and more to do with there not being many notable M Rated 3rd party titles in general on their systems, at least those that launch in proper enough conditions to do so, such as day and date and not too pricey. When games do launch in those sort of conditions, like we're seeing with Team Sonic Racing or see with indie titles, they sell fine, even if it's not necessarily as much as the other systems

Oct 25, 2017
To get back on topic somehow, i don't think we'll see another for a while, there's essentially gonna be a first party title every month it looks like and I don't see the legs of any M rated game exceed a Nintendo title during August.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta shows that an M-rated game does not need a huge brand or widely established IP to succeed on Nintendo platforms. Who cares about whether it is first or third party?

I suspect ports like Doom and Wolfenstein could have gone to #1 on Switch if they were released during less competitive times of the year (and were released day and date with other versions).

Oct 26, 2017
To get back on topic somehow, i don't think we'll see another for a while, there's essentially gonna be a first party title every month it looks like and I don't see the legs of any M rated game exceed a Nintendo title during August.
Bayonetta 3 could maybe do it, maybe even SMT V if it becomes a breakout title like Persona 5, assuming they don't launch in the same month as a big Nintendo game

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
These discussions always devolve into mother fuckers bending logic to make stupid ass complicated justifications for something that is so incredible simple.

I actually feel that the bigger problem is that there really haven't been that many major M-rated third party releases on Nintendo hardware since the Gamecube. The Wii was rather notoriously saddled with spinoffs of big M-rated IPs rather than the "real thing," while the Wii U's timing made it impossible for anyone to care much about getting ports of games like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed when the audiences were so firmly entrenched for those IPs that Nintendo would have needed a hell of a lot more to draw them away than what the Wii U hardware could ever accomplish.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Well, Bayonetta 2 should count on Wii U lol , give the honor to her, it was the fucking Wii U.

But anyways, this is good hopefully there are more to come in the next months

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
This is horseshit without context. How many of the qualifying titles for this particular metric had launch day and date releases on Nintendo consoles? Because last I checked MK11 and RE4 werent multi year old ports.... Maybe that has something to do with it?

Nah. Lets pretend that doesn't matter. Lets port GTA V which has been out forever, to the Switch all these years later, then hold it against Nintendo if it doesn't manage a #1 launch on a multi year old port. Thats fair.
Late ports go to other machines and make a killing still. Gtav is a terrible example precisely because it was number 1 on the PS4 n Xbox one and PC well after missing the 360/PC release date. Bayonetta did excellent on PC years later.

Dark Souls as a borked port did well. monster hunter on pc did well coming out later. Top of the steam charts. Ditto Nioh.

The whole "well if it was there day n date" doesn't really hold water to a platforms own sales charts. It be one thing if I had said pacing the entire industry as the lead sku for the month, but we just talking switch charts.
It has a lot less to do with Nintendo folk not buying 3rd party titles and more to do with there not being many notable M Rated 3rd party titles in general on their systems, at least those that launch in proper enough conditions to do so, such as day and date and not too pricey. When games do launch in those sort of conditions, like we're seeing with Team Sonic Racing or see with indie titles, they sell fine, even if it's not necessarily as much as the other systems
arguable sure, but even that is more of a by product of the lack of faith gained with how those titles did on the 64 and Cube, and then how the few attempts did on the Wii. I'm not denying third party haven't tried to get away with half effort here, but none of that changes a simple fact.

Third party games tend to sell more on the other platforms. Especially if they are M rated. We have now what, 3 decades worth of this statement being reality?

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I think this thread just shows how bad conversation can get in this forum, thread totally derailed because despite we all know what the OP meant some people just need to be smartasses and come with their "uhhh actually" takes.

Awful, just awful.
lol I knew instantly this thread would devolve into definition-gate.

delivered.
Lmao forreal

I forgot that this thread was about Mortal Kombat

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
I actually feel that the bigger problem is that there really haven't been that many major M-rated third party releases on Nintendo hardware since the Gamecube. The Wii was rather notoriously saddled with spinoffs of big M-rated IPs rather than the "real thing," while the Wii U's timing made it impossible for anyone to care much about getting ports of games like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed when the audiences were so firmly entrenched for those IPs that Nintendo would have needed a hell of a lot more to draw them away than what the Wii U hardware could ever accomplish.
Sure, valid. The reasoning is a bunch of things, but the problem that pubs n devs seem to keep coming away with, if it's a problem is that they feel their shit sells better on other hardware and often struggles to find success with Nintendo. It's clear there are ways to find success, but devs/pubs haven't accepted whatever said solution could be.

But it still is, what it is.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

Or for M-rated games, since Bayonetta was the only first party M-rated title in that time too (though Nintendo didn't publish too many others. Devil's Third and ???)

Oct 26, 2017
Late ports go to other machines and make a killing still. Gtav is a terrible example precisely because it was number 1 on the PS4 n Xbox one and PC well after missing the 360/PC release date. Bayonetta did excellent on PC years later.

Dark Souls as a borked port did well. monster hunter on pc did well coming out later. Top of the steam charts. Ditto Nioh.

The whole "well if it was there day n date" doesn't really hold water to a platforms own sales charts. It be one thing if I had said pacing the entire industry as the lead sku for the month, but we just talking switch charts.

arguable sure, but even that is more of a by product of the lack of faith gained with how those titles did on the 64 and Cube, and then how the few attempts did on the Wii. I'm not denying third party haven't tried to get away with half effort here, but none of that changes a simple fact. Third party games tend to sell more on the other platforms. Especially if they are M rated. We have now what, 3 decades worth of this statement being reality?
The difference is that those "late" ports all usually arrive together and are often given a lot of marketing and attention along with it or, in the case of the PC, at least given reasonable price points and tend to have genuine effort with their ports. That's almost never done for a late port on a Nintendo system

It's not a complete necessity but it helps a lot as the game is still in the public consciousness

I won't disagree with that. I'm just saying that it has less to do with Nintendo fans not wanting to buy 3rd party titles and more to do with Nintendo's own mistakes and 3rd party developers giving Nintendo systems rather low priority, both of which culminate into a not-so-great climate to get people buying more 3rd party titles

Or for M-rated games, since Bayonetta was the only first party M-rated title in that time too (though Nintendo didn't publish too many others. Devil's Third and ???)
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Dark Water was another M-rated game they handled on the Wii U, but that wound up as eShop-only in the US and was relegated to an LE printing in Europe. Nintendo really hasn't made a particularly major effort to court M-rated content since the Gamecube, at least until the Switch, when they've been distributing for Bethesda on Wolfenstein 2, Skyrim and Doom, along with Dark Souls Remastered. It's a pretty big change in policy for them, though I imagine that there are a fair few folks out there that would prefer if they went to the logical next step and started funding their own M-rated content again, beyond what they've been doing for Bayonetta and Fatal Frame.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Switch is a different kind of beast. In a large Switch group on Facebook that consist of mid 20's to 40 year old's, who are heavy switch users, willing and ready to buy mature games catered to them.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit, guys.

First party: Fully published by Nintendo.

Examples of 1st-party that are frequently mistaken for 3rd: Bayonetta 2 and 3, Marvel Ultimate Alliance...

Third party: Not published by Nintendo. At best, partially published (as in, published by Nintendo only in Japan or worldwide sans Japan).

Examples of 3rd-party that are frequently mistaken for 1st: Mario & Rabbids, Hyrule Warriors, Pokken...

Essentially, if Nintendo publishes the sales numbers, it's 1st. 3rd if not.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I.... sometimes y'all get into the weirdest arguments.

On topic

I think this will happen more going forward if 3rd parties launch their M rated titles day and date. Of course it'll also have to be a good game too.

Edit: where's my shitty avatar?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

The whole "well if it was there day n date" doesn't really hold water to a platforms own sales charts.

The bolded is you moving the line. We are specifically talking about debuting as #1. Don't casually swap it to a subjective "making a killing" because Nintendo has had M rated games that made a killing. Even the Wii RE4 port had an ROI that blew titles away that generation. The first Red Steel sold over a million etc. So "making a killing" isn't the metric here.

The question was specifically about debuting as #1. So take those ported titles you mentioned and tell me how many debuted as LATE PORTS on PS and Xbox platforms and debuted as #1. Lets keep the comparisons apples to apples and not switch things up. Im genuinely looking to find out if this logic holds.

Oct 26, 2017
Even bigger since this is only a port and not an exclusive. I think RE4 didn't come out until afterwards on PS2, though it was announced just prior to release (figures).

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Holy shit, guys.

First party: Fully published by Nintendo.

Examples of 1st-party that are frequently mistaken for 3rd: Bayonetta 2 and 3, Marvel Ultimate Alliance...

Third party: Not published by Nintendo. At best, partially published (as in, published by Nintendo only in Japan or worldwide sans Japan).

Examples of 3rd-party that are frequently mistaken for 1st: Mario & Rabbids, Hyrule Warriors, Pokken...

Essentially, if Nintendo publishes the sales numbers, it's 1st. 3rd if not.
Sorry but Mario x Rabbids is Mario ,Hyrule Warriors is Zelda and Pokken is Pokemon they may not be published by Nintendo but they still had heavy involment in their creation .

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
You are all wrong. Bayonetta 2 and bayo 3 are developed by platinum IP is owned by SEGA and nintendo funds and publishes...therefore they are 2ND PARTY GAMES.
1980fab3e1ee26d4be0761642eea144a.png

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The bolded is you moving the line. We are specifically talking about debuting as #1. Don't casually swap it to a subjective "making a killing" because Nintendo has had M rated games that made a killing. Even the Wii RE4 port had an ROI that blew titles away that generation. The first Red Steel sold over a million etc. So "making a killing" isn't the metric here.

The question was specifically about debuting as #1. So take those ported titles you mentioned and tell me how many debuted as LATE PORTS on PS and Xbox platforms and debuted as #1. Lets keep the comparisons apples to apples and not switch things up. Im genuinely looking to find out if this logic holds.
I believe TLOU debuted at No.1 on PS4 but GTAV didn't. Also MK11 had a 1 week delay on Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.