• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FrsDvl

Oct 25, 2017
While Psychonauts 2 definitely got robbed, I am happy with this.

It's the only game I played with my wife from start to finish, and we had a great time. Especially considering she doesn't care for video games one bit. It was one of my favorite gaming moments of my adult life.

It definitely wasn't the best game nominated, however it it was definitely the most fun experience out of all of them.

Very happy for Josef & the team at Hazelight, and I can not wait to see what's next for them.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, boring game beyond the first hour. All the way through playing the game I wished they had taken the game mechanics and puzzles deeper. But they never did.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Niiiice congrats! Multiplayer won both the critics and players choices 🤩

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Happy for Josef. With huge success of It takes Two, he have will have the budget and full freedom to work on whatever project he want next.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was pushing for this or Psychonauts (which is better from a story / character route, but ITT is incredible in areas P2 falls a little flat).

Incredible game that basically aped a few of the other games it was competing against for a chapter and held its own against them, and then went on to do like 7 other insanely polished game riffs.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Fully deserved, currently around 3/4 of the way through the game with my 8 year old son and we both absolutely adore it

The best game i've played since BOTW

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
weird that the game of the year, won't be the game of the year (in name only) after they gave in to bullshit tactics by take-two
personally, I wish they would challenge take-two in court over the name, but I guess they just don't want the drama :(

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've played every one of his games and I'm just so happy for him and his team

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Its been my favourite game of the year. Psychonauts and Metroid the only other games that have pushed it close. Very happy for Josef and Hazelight, super deserved.

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Deserved and good choice!

Quite possibly the best 2-player (couch) co-op game I've played, especially in light how many gameplay styles are in it.
Hope this is a signal that more games like it receive the financial backing.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing through it with a friend, and we've been having a blast. Wonderful to see it win.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I still think Psychonauts deserrved this, but It Takes Two is a fantastic game for sure.
Well done to Joesph and team.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
well-deserved

really fun little game. they packed so many different types of gameplay into it. must have taken a lot of effort and resources to make them all feel fun

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
I don't believe any game deserves it more this year. It Takes Two is one of my favourite experiences ever. The way it keeps introducing new mechanics with the endless creativity involved, to the really engaging and fun boss fights, to the minigames dotted around the level that are each very competitive and skill based.

One of my favourite things about the game is that if you crit path the game, it's quite short, but you can easily spend 30 minutes just messing around in a single zone, or on a mini game you particularly like. The game is so well polished that it's just a joy to exist and move around in this world.

The story is a bit cringe towards the end, and goes some places I wouldn't have, but it doesn't take away from the overall brilliance.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Haha ok. Not mine by some margin but congrats to the team.

first romcom to win goty?

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Is this a game someone would enjoy if they in general don't play games? Thinking about buying it to play with gf but not sure

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
Is this a game someone would enjoy if they in general don't play games? Thinking about buying it to play with gf but not sure

IMO no, it requires a certain gamer knowledge for a lot of tasks or if not in-depth explanation in between segments.

Edit: Unless you feel like giving them explanations and they can accept them.

funo

Oct 27, 2017
most fun I've had with a game in years, so fucking deserved!

yes and no - while the game is enjoyable for ppl who don't play games, never underestimate the problems non-gamers have with 3d controls. sure, if one of you survives, the other one can die over and over again and just respawn BUT the amount of coordination and simultaneous button presses will be too much for most non-gamers.

Nov 2, 2017
I'll quote myself from the previous page, generally we enjoyed it but for my partner who isn't that great with a controller there were a surprising number of difficult and frustrating areas. Generally the checkpointing was forgiving enough that we were never stuck anywhere for too long, but it still brought down the overall experience.

Great game, but especially given the couch co-op nature of the game I really wish it had included more accessibility/difficulty options for less experienced players (maybe this stuff was patched in later?). My partner is still a bit of a novice at playing with a controller and it made portions of the game more frustrating than enjoyable for them.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017

My fiancee only plays Fall Guys and Animal Crossing. She probably has some transferable skill from Fall Guys, but hadn't actually touched it for 6 months, so I would argue came from a place of no experience in platformers. She had a great time.

The game is without a doubt challenging in some places, one of the first bossfights is very tricky, but personally, I think playing with a partner that's not that well versed in some ways makes the game better. You talk more about the problem solving of the game and that immerses you in the story a bit more. Also it helps to lengthen the game instead of rushing through it.

Lan

Oct 25, 2017
Depends how easily they can pick up 3D platformer controls. This actually killed the experience for us. It demanded a surprising amount of mastery over mechanics like double jumps, dashes, and right stick camera control. It was pretty frustrating for my wife and definitely didn't keep her attention.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017

IMO no, it requires a certain gamer knowledge for a lot of tasks or if not in-depth explanation in between segments.

Edit: Unless you feel like giving them explanations and they can accept them.

In my experience with my 8 year old son so far, we made the right decision with me being the mum and he being the dad. He hasn't come across anything he couldn't manage so far, but there has been times during boss fights where as the mum, I don't think he would have been able to do it

There is one part involving lasers that is straight out of Furi

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
This is my personal GOTY, but I'm surprised it got enough support to win here. Glad to see it, it's so inventive and fun and the production values and polish really surprised me. Hell of a game!

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Inventive and brilliant game. My wife and I played through this and, typically, she doesn't do third person 3D movement involving a camera at all.

If it wasn't for Return of the Obra Dinn, it would have been the best co-op experience I've had this year.

(I know RofOD isn't technically co-op, but that's how we played it).

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
The appeal of the game is precisely that it chooses to go broader rather than deeper, thus enabling all of the great stories you hear in this thread about people playing it with non-gaming partners or young kids. The breadth of new areas and abilities makes you excited to see what's next, and the overall shallowness of any one mechanic means that no one is going to be left behind.
indeed

when you get to the fighting game part you aint expecting frame-canceling, you just expect a really neat, brief diversion, and the game is absolutely packed with those

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
To me, it was a very competently made platformer, but god damn did the story annoy me. I would have enjoyed it more if I had just skipped the cutscenes. Some of the levels went on way too long as well, to the point where I could tell my co-op buddy was getting bored. Didn't end up beating it. Instead, he wanted to watch me play more Psychonauts 2.

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
Winning this means there's a chance we can see Josef on stage again next year to pass on the GOTY baton lol

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm glad this won instead of Ratchet or RE8, which are just riffs on something very familiar. At least ITT is refreshing and fun. Not close for my goty though

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I'm glad this won instead of Ratchet or RE8, which are just riffs on something very familiar. At least ITT is refreshing and fun. Not close for my goty though
I'm glad RE8 won at least one for Lady D, tho

hope it keeps Capcom on the path of making neat characters and giving the roles to new and interesting actors

Mar 19, 2021
Super happy It Takes Two won, I can't think of too many other games in recent memory that were just so much of a blast to play all the way through. And my boyfriend, who's usually not super into games, absolutely adored it as well and it will just always be a great memory!

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I would have personally gone for Psychonauts 2, but this is a very close 2nd and...to be fair my playing experience was "hindered" by the fact my partner cannot control a camera AT ALL.