• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Hey ResetERA,

I usually lurk and chime in from to time. I would love to be a more active poster, but I generally do not believe I have anything of substance to add.

But, this is not why I sit here typing this right now.

This year has been rough on many of us for a variety of reasons. Some of our loved ones did not make it. Some of the members of this very community did not make it. And some others are struggling with physical health, mental health, or both.

I believe that this site's original premise was an inclusive place to discuss games and other topics of interest. It started from a very public meltdown in NeoGAF, and many of us distanced ourselves from that to build something new. Something better.

But, it seems we have learned nothing. Or very little at least. We've become a parody of ourselves. How many times have we thought ourselves superior to that place, or even to people outside this bubble?

This year alone, we have had countless threads highlighting how certain members of ERA are treated, and how some topics are brushed under the rug.

Off the top of my head:
  • Racism
  • Transphobia
  • Bigotry
  • Sexism
  • Ableism
And I am sure there are others that I have missed.

We are rightly mocked because we fail at self-moderation, we routinely fail at discussing sensitive topics constructively, and we fail at growth. This isn't a case of some bad apples spoiling the bunch. It has become somewhat normalized (to varying degrees).

I do not expect us to be completely infallible, and paragons of fairness, justice, and so on at every single turn. I, myself, was banned for the first time on how to address people in a group: "hey guys", vs. "hey all". On the surface, it does seem insignificant, but it does affect how someone feels.

At the time, I struggled to understand my ban. Partly, because I juggle many languages. Partly because I deal with many that do not have English as a first, second, or even their language. I don't necessarily expect them to understand the nuances from the get-go, especially in light of the culture they come from.

My ban finished, and I sat and read through more replies and understood where I went wrong. And when dealing with someone learning English, I have adjusted how to get them to address groups appropriately. It wasn't hard.

Is it difficult to just shut up and listen? Is it difficult to try and understand what people who are different from you go through? If the answer to any of these is yes (to you), what is difficult about it?

There have been countless work done by members here to shed light on issues that concern them (and others). I often see these important threads slowly fall from the first page, and into the deep dark corners of the forum. Hell, I'll tell you that as a Black African man, there is far more to be done about talking about African issues. But, I have learned to pick my battles because I am exhausted. I highly commend those here who keep fighting the good fight in an effort to bring positive and sustainable change. And this is important because this is one of the most popular gaming forums on the internet.

On a good day here:
  • I pick up life protip;
  • Learn about an issue I never realized before;
  • Discover a hidden gem
  • Laugh at some of the hilarious memes that have become a fabric of this community, or the ridiculous threads that show up on the weekend.
What was usually joyous, has been replaced with a sense of sadness and disappointment.

We're years into the experiment, and if anything…this place feels like a long-lost sequel to the old place. It sucks, and as much as we say we want to do better, we keep messing it up when it counts.

"The performatively woke person takes up a lot of space. The ally makes space. It's a crucial difference." - Eric Peterson.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
One thing, I don't know why...

On topic. I think because of social media, sometimes our first reaction is to speak without the facts or contributing to the topic at hand.

I think it helps when we read through posts, the OP and other sources, consider it all and make an informed opinion.

I don't think we should shy away from sensitive topics if the engagement is respective and wholesome.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget fat shaming. Feels like some people here openly shame body appearances because "they deserved it".

I have stood up for body positivity here and was attacked for being a "sensitive snowflake" as a result.

And before election day, I saw a bunch of people making fun of trump because he is fat, not because of the other things he does that actually warrant criticism.

Pretty disgusting behavior tbh. Ugh.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of hard to know what maintains the idea that this forum is a progressivist, inclusive place. It's really an illusion. I can only think of two possible things, that when people say that kind of thing, they aren't seeing them as positives, and are the kind of people who think that, because we have vocal community members who take to the struggle of pushing things forward, that they somehow define the whole forum, which is definitely not the case. If it were, those members would likely be enjoying the community without having to consistently bring up those topics in huge threads that seem to have a momentary impact that then fiddles away.

Otherwise, it must be people who do have the privilege of looking at the state of things and understand it as good, and in doing so revealing their myopia and unawareness. This i have seen from time to time but admittedly i am tested to see them as genuine and i rarely take them as serious or honest.

By and large, as far as i can tell, the forum is pretty big not because some handful of posters try to push for a better community, but in spite of it, and i would even venture to say that at least ~70% of all posters see that push as a cumbersome nuisance that they must avoid or tip toe around lest they incur a ban of the "harsh moderation" that is anything but. And in doing so, maintaining this illusion that this is a space that is intolerant of them, in essence engaging in the same kind of performative victimization that the privileged are so skilled at.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thanks OP. Unfortunately part of the problem I think is people will read your post and not only agree but thinks it doesn't apply to them. I might even be victim of that as I tell myself I need to be a better ally.

Right now it seems as though the trans community here is being let down once again.

Trans, LGBTQ+, black, asian, muslim, and other minority Era members just seem to be constantly having to fight for their right to exist on what is supposedly the most progressive forum on the internet. So many have left due to how hostile this place is, and others have been outright banned. Some of our best members are gone and the space to fill and heal for their absence is painful to see. I want to see it be healed but the community and staff here has to want to heal it. And I don't know if that's happening.

To all minority Era members who are affected, if you're still here and kicking, I don't know how you do it. You are putting in fantastic work to keep your communities felt heard and feel safe. I promise you there are people, such as a lurker as myself, who see you and empathize with your struggles. Solidarity ❤️

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
I desperately wish people would just shut the fuck up and listen to us, but I doubt that's going to happen. This forum is filled with the exact performative wokeness that you speak of. It is filled with so-called "allies" who provide nothing but lip-service to the conversation.

My own community has been all but run off this forum, and I'm wondering how much of that is intentional.

Oct 29, 2017
Hey ResetERA,

I usually lurk and chime in from to time. I would love to be a more active poster, but I generally do not believe I have anything of substance to add.

But, this is not why I sit here typing this right now.

This year has been rough on many of us for a variety of reasons. Some of our loved ones did not make it. Some of the members of this very community did not make it. And some others are struggling with physical health, mental health, or both.

I believe that this site's original premise was an inclusive place to discuss games and other topics of interest. It started from a very public meltdown in NeoGAF, and many of us distanced ourselves from that to build something new. Something better.

But, it seems we have learned nothing. Or very little at least. We've become a parody of ourselves. How many times have we thought ourselves superior to that place, or even to people outside this bubble?

This year alone, we have had countless threads highlighting how certain members of ERA are treated, and how some topics are brushed under the rug.

Off the top of my head:
  • Racism
  • Transphobia
  • Bigotry
  • Sexism
  • Ableism
And I am sure there are others that I have missed.

We are rightly mocked because we fail at self-moderation, we routinely fail at discussing sensitive topics constructively, and we fail at growth. This isn't a case of some bad apples spoiling the bunch. It has become somewhat normalized (to varying degrees).

I do not expect us to be completely infallible, and paragons of fairness, justice, and so on at every single turn. I, myself, was banned for the first time on how to address people in a group: "hey guys", vs. "hey all". On the surface, it does seem insignificant, but it does affect how someone feels.

At the time, I struggled to understand my ban. Partly, because I juggle many languages. Partly because I deal with many that do not have English as a first, second, or even their language. I don't necessarily expect them to understand the nuances from the get-go, especially in light of the culture they come from.

My ban finished, and I sat and read through more replies and understood where I went wrong. And when dealing with someone learning English, I have adjusted how to get them to address groups appropriately. It wasn't hard.

Is it difficult to just shut up and listen? Is it difficult to try and understand what people who are different from you go through? If the answer to any of these is yes (to you), what is difficult about it?

There have been countless work done by members here to shed light on issues that concern them (and others). I often see these important threads slowly fall from the first page, and into the deep dark corners of the forum. Hell, I'll tell you that as a Black African man, there is far more to be done about talking about African issues. But, I have learned to pick my battles because I am exhausted. I highly commend those here who keep fighting the good fight in an effort to bring positive and sustainable change. And this is important because this is one of the most popular gaming forums on the internet.

On a good day here:
  • I pick up life protip;
  • Learn about an issue I never realized before;
  • Discover a hidden gem
  • Laugh at some of the hilarious memes that have become a fabric of this community, or the ridiculous threads that show up on the weekend.
What was usually joyous, has been replaced with a sense of sadness and disappointment.

We're years into the experiment, and if anything…this place feels like a long-lost sequel to the old place. It sucks, and as much as we say we want to do better, we keep messing it up when it counts.

"The performatively woke person takes up a lot of space. The ally makes space. It's a crucial difference." - Eric Peterson.
I'm glad you took a minute to think when you received a ban. I remember when I was in a discord server last year and a user mentioned they got a new haircut. I was an idiot and asked if they were a guy or a girl. It made sense to ask at that moment but this is someone I didn't know over the internet who maybe didn't wish to disclose that or adhere to that label. I was taken aback when I got a corrective action but reflected on it and apologized.
I'm a white gay man and I don't have to deal with a ton of stuff because in my state and area I'm normalized. It's great because my area is safe but it's bad because it puts blinders on me and I have to take them off to remember that I need to make space for the needs of all lgbtq+ and not just the g.
I do agree that a lot of people don't seem to come back from bans learning anything. They take it as they got caught and this place is tough to post in. That's the problem with people. We aren't willing to learn from mistakes and would rather be silent instead of called out.
Maybe we could have some kind of thing that happens that helps you learn from your mistakes? An apology thread where you post why you got banned for a certain amount of time and why it would make sense that you got banned?
We all always have room to listen first and be better people every day. Thanks for posting this thread.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Most of that is on point but I disagree on one thing.

There never was and never will be a rehabilitation of this site in the eyes of the general internet. They hate, and that is not going to change. They hate progressive ideas and values and while they can dunk for performative wokeness ,if this place actually shaped up and was a progressive bastion they would actually hate us even more. I don't get why people don't get they are never going to accept us, their hate comes in degrees and currently it's that people here can be pretty hypocritical, but if they were not then we would be truly evil in their eyes.

You don't get multiple websites dedicated specifically to moniter, stalk, and harass era and it's members just because the site suffers a performative progressive problem.

Again, there is no rehabilitation of this sites reputation, and considering who hates us I really don't care nor want them to like us.

OP
OP
mozbar

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Don't forget fat shaming. Feels like some people here openly shame body appearances because "they deserved it".

I have stood up for body positivity here and was attacked for being a "sensitive snowflake" as a result.

And before election day, I saw a bunch of people making fun of trump because he is fat, not because of the other things he does that actually warrant criticism.

Pretty disgusting behavior tbh. Ugh.

Agreed. Completely missed this.

Most of that is on point but I disagree on one thing.

There never was and never will be a rehabilitation of this site in the eyes of the general internet. They hate, and that is not going to change. They hate progressive ideas and values and while they can dunk for performative wokeness ,if this place actually shaped up and was a progressive bastion they would actually hate us even more. I don't get why people don't get they are never going to accept us, their hate comes in degrees and currently it's that people here can be pretty hypocritical, but if they were not then we would be truly evil in their eyes.

You don't get multiple websites dedicated specifically to moniter, stalk, and harass era and it's members just because the site suffers a performative progressive problem.

Again, there is no rehabilitation of this sites reputation, and considering who hates us I really don't care nor want them to like us.

I don't think about the image of the site per se, but how we need to do better. If the image improves, that's great. If not, at least we know we're doing our best.

Also, people stalk Era members? Damn.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Also, people stalk Era members? Damn.
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. Especially if your not white or straight/cis. I just don't get how you could spend that much time dedicated to hating us. I mean, we just want a nicer world where people actually are treated equally and all humans are validated. That obviously must make us monsters that need to be harassed and exposed! The horror!

Seriously, I wish I had as much time with as little responsibility as some of those people, except I would use that freedom to relax and have fun, not hate and try to make everyone as miserable as me.

Final thought for real with no sarcasm, considering the type of people they are, and the effort they put into hating us makes me genuinely feel we are doing something right, and why I support the burgeoning movement here including you and your OP to put our money where our mouths are and work to make era's reality live up to what it says it wants to be.

Top Shelf