• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Todd-McFarlane-Spawn-301.jpg

With DC Collectibles going down, won't McFarlane be the king of statues (more than he kind of was)?

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this will have an effect on those animated movies they release every year. That last one was really something.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Why would the subscription service end? Seems like the back catalog would be inherently valuable to, well, someone.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Don't think DC would cover much of that debt.

Marvel was sold to Disney for $4 billion... and that was after the success of Iron Man.

Jul 4, 2018
Don't think DC would cover much of that debt.

Marvel was sold to Disney for $4 billion... and that was after the success of Iron Man.
Marvel film rights were kind of all over the place though, and Disney still doesn't have film rights Spider-Man. Plus DC has had multiple $1B films at this point. I'm sure they could make $4-5B in a good economic time but now is not the right time to sell, although WB always seems to buy high and sell low so maybe they will be idiots and sell for a small amount.

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
comicbook.com journalist:

Co-fucking-signed.

Has there ever been a moment in the past 8 months that it's felt anyone was in charge?
Popeyes chicken tries to comfort me with emotional ad breaks, meanwhile governors failed.
The president failed. Congress failed.

And it's hard to blame ATT for what is an obviously a bad merger when the government wont step in.

Also, what the hell is your avatar from. Always fucking loved it but forget to ask.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Sucks for everyone who lost their jobs. Their comics division is going to look really different. Bob Harras being gone isn't a loss though.

I really hope DC editorial decides to do a DC Unlimited comics subscription for international use if Universe is shut down.

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Both my comic stores got hurt by the DC switch and can't afford to order in DC comics in singles.

It killed a lot of comic shops, and if you try to explain it to certain people, they'll just plug their ears and scream about how Diamond had a monopoly and it was a good thing that DC left, ignoring any and all of the context of when they left or how.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
It killed a lot of comic shops, and if you try to explain it to certain people, they'll just plug their ears and scream about how Diamond had a monopoly and it was a good thing that DC left, ignoring any and all of the context of when they left or how.
It's like they picked the perfect time that would kill the smaller comics shops. Oh, pandemic that's forcing get-togethers which bring in shitloads of revenue? Let's fuck em over now!

Diamond sucks but holy crap is this not the time or place to shake the system up. Trying to buy more stuff from my local shops, but I'm only one guy and my taste in comics is pretty skewed to "weird shit that Image puts out" so I can only do so much without investing in Warhammer :P

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Could we really be looking at the end of Comics ?
Now would probably be a good time to switch to digital distribution and treat physical media as a niche, just like every other form of media.

If you can create an easy-to-navigate back catalog, coupled with a monthly subscription service with access to all current titles and maybe the animated movies & TV shows, you could probably have a solid and successful product.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
No way they kill the digital comic sub. That part is doing well and going up if I recall. That's gotta be easy and cheap to maintain too

They could kill the DC show part, roll all that into HBO Max (they'll get better budgets there anyway) and maybe pair the comics as an add on to HBO Max? Or just as its own thing.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
No way they kill the digital comic sub. That part is doing well and going up if I recall. That's gotta be easy and cheap to maintain too

They could kill the DC show part, roll all that into HBO Max (they'll get better budgets there anyway) and maybe pair the comics as an add on to HBO Max? Or just as its own thing.

Should do the comics as its own thing and actually make it available outside the US. People around the world would pay a decent amount per year for DC's catalog.

May 9, 2019
DC Universe was doomed the minute they launched it. Just turn it into a comic book WORLDWIDE service. Put character/team guides in there, databases, etc. Make it accessible!

Oct 27, 2017
I subbed to DC Universe recently to watch Harley Quinn S2 (pre-HBO announcement). Watching Doom Patrol S2 and Swamp Thing S1 now. Really hope these shows survive on HBO MAX.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, define "survive". Because Swamp Thing is already dead.

Right. I mostly meant the other two (and Titans).

Swamp Thing is actually not terrible! It was always going to be a hard sell with a giant plant guy as one of the main characters, but I am enjoying it mostly. Really interested in seeing how it is going to do on the CW.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
If this marks the death knell of the Local Comic Shop, it is a tragedy for the people who make a living from those businesses and the communities that frequent them. At the same time, it is a failed business model that has resulted in less people reading comic books than pretty much any time in human history.

The comic industry has been a shell of itself for easily the last decade. The genre which comics created literally became the dominant pop culture of the entire planet, but neither Big 2 publisher was able to capitalize on the easiest home run ever lobbed across the plate. How could comics have stayed a niche, enthusiast product limited to local dedicated shops? How could sales have declined to where big hits barely creak past five digit numbers? How did they blow it so badly?

I'm not talking about the content of the comics whatsoever, I'm talking business strategy. Did they even attempt to convert the millions and millions of people who suddenly became obsessed with these characters and stories? You can't do that by telling them to hope they have a local comic shop so they can go preorder the books they like months in advance so they don't get cancelled. The current system was built for the '90s speculator boom, it wasn't meant to scale to the heights superheroes have achieved and the whole distribution strategy should have been binned the second Avengers grossed a billion.

Last edited: