• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This sucks tbh. I've had the same experience with Nintendo abandoning or not being consistent with their motion (or Wii u related) technologies. They've been better about it this gen tho so that's nice but third parties will never care enough to implement it.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I like PS4's gyro keyboard, and I'd also like to see gyro-assisted aiming in more games. Not interested in more horrible shit like Uncharted grenades.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Dreams uses it extensively.

Also...texting is better with gyro!
ps4-controller-gyrosc4nij0.gif
This makes me want a time crissis collection for ps4 so bad

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I hated it in games like Mirror's edge where you had to balance on shit or die. I had nothing but trouble and frustration with it.

I also hate its use in Splatoon 2. The only gyro aim I liked was the Zelda Wii U remasters.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know this will make alot of people mad, but whenever i see features like on a gaming system all i can think about is how hard future BC will be. Like the Vita will be impossible to emulate because of its gyro/touchpad/touchscreen stuff, same with DS, 3DS, Wii U. We're going to lose entire libraries of games for little features like this.

I feel like the Dualshock 1 is the equivalent of The Wheel, we can improve the wheel, but we don't need to reinvent the wheel, it works.
Easy fix, uh, just include gyro in controllers moving forward. That one is easy peasy.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
I know this will make alot of people mad, but whenever i see features like on a gaming system all i can think about is how hard future BC will be. Like the Vita will be impossible to emulate because of its gyro/touchpad/touchscreen stuff, same with DS, 3DS, Wii U. We're going to lose entire libraries of games for little features like this.

I feel like the Dualshock 1 is the equivalent of The Wheel, we can improve the wheel, but we don't need to reinvent the wheel, it works.
I mean, you can use a Dualshock 4 to play Vita games on the PSTV
You can use the Gyro/Touchscreen with it.

It's not 100%, but it's there.

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why is this on sony? theyve implemented the tech, they're job is done outside of its use in the OS. its up to developers to utilize it if they wish which Dreams does in a great way. unless you want them to force developers into using it even if they don't want to which seems like bad business I dont understand.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I'm playing through the uncharted collection and I'm realizing that they've taken out all the sixaxis motion control pieces. And then I started thinking about the last ps4 game I played that featured any motion controls and all I could remember was infamous second son.

I for one thought the sixaxis was pretty cool and it's a shame to see it get phased out like this.

It's used in Gran Turismo Sport and works quite well actually.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
it's completely crazy to me that shooters on ps4 don't take advantage of DS4's functionality to have gyro aiming, even weirder that sony themselves don't use it for aiming in their own games. first of all, it's just an option. anyone who doesn't like it can turn it off, second of all it's so incredibly superior to analog aiming that it's very hard to go back to simple analog aiming once you're used to it.

The gravity rush games used it for precise aiming when setting the new axis of gravity. It was good stuff.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda of suck that most games on PS4 don't utilize it very much, because on PC with Steam controller integration, I assign the gyro for aiming movement with hard pull left trigger and it feels great. Certain games should have this optional feature on console.

Only most uses I have with the gyro on PS4 is that typing feature; I use it most of time and just slightly faster than using d-pads. With some practice, I can input the texts even faster, so there's a learning curve to it, kinda like aiming a perfect shot with a guncon to the screen.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
This reminds me of when Phil Harrison was pitching it as a much cooler and more important feature than the dualshock, when they put in SIXAXIS and excluded rumble because of an ongoing courtcase in the PS3 chaos days.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Yeah, thats fine. It's great that they give you the option to use any of the three.
Definitely, I don't mind motion controls in like breath of the wild but if a game only has them as the control style I am not interested in playing. Doesn't really happen anymore though except VR games

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad it's worked for you but I think you can tell from this post that it is divisive to say the least.
Well, sure, but using a dpad for text input is flat out awful compared to literally every other contemporary option, so this appears to be another case of gamers choosing to reject clear advancement because they're used to the old shit

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Well, sure, but using a dpad for text input is flat out awful compared to literally every other contemporary option, so this appears to be another case of gamers choosing to reject clear advancement because they're used to the old shit
I might be old but I find using the dpad to be much faster 🤷‍♀️

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I might be old but I find using the dpad to be much faster 🤷‍♀️
It's because you're old. It's actually Sakurai's adherence to T9 keyboards that first clued us in to the fact that he's actually an ancient immortal.

I'll admit I'm pretty good at dpad text but I'll avoid it whenever possible. To the extent that I keep a wireless keyboard plugged into my Xbox and will get up to undock my Switch to type anything

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's completely crazy to me that shooters on ps4 don't take advantage of DS4's functionality to have gyro aiming, even weirder that sony themselves don't use it for aiming in their own games. first of all, it's just an option. anyone who doesn't like it can turn it off, second of all it's so incredibly superior to analog aiming that it's very hard to go back to simple analog aiming once you're used to it.

Sony has a bad habit of introducing new features and not really supporting them.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Speaking of tech they've seemingly given up on; I really hope they improve and actually utilize the touchpad. Its a fucking touchpad! Do they not realize how great it is for usability and user interfaces?

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the amount of games (recent ones too) that use the DS4 gyro shows that OP didn't really think before making this thread.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I personally don't like it, but it is a missed opportunity for those who want gyro aim assist.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
there was absolutely nothing cool about the sixaxis functionality in PS3 games.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GT Sport's six axis steering is pretty awesome and works tremendously well.

I don't understand why Sony didn't make more first party titles use six axis as an alternative/additional method of control. Though I'm more sore about the lack of TouchPad support than six axis...

ps3ud0 8)

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I die a little inside every time devs are lazy on their console UIs and just use left stick as a mouse cursor same as PC instead of making menus navigable by dpad. And 99% of the time they don't let you use the DS4 touchpad to move the cursor.

It's astonishing how little effort they put into using the unique features of each platform.