• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Now I am Imagining Brandon Sanderson phoning in the ending of Stormlight Archive and leaving a note in the the last page saying " Hey I warned ya throughout 10K pages."

I just started book 3 in Mistborn and he's actually got a preface talking about this. He mentions that tons of books he reads nail characters or world-building and then manage to drop the ball at the end. He says he's actively trying not to fall into that trap for the final book in the trilogy.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, I think pretty much the whole show dropped off in quality pretty quickly... I remember people started having troubles with the show way earlier than the ending. It wasn't going to have a good ending. It was pretty obvious. People roped themselves in in that case tbh
The issue with GOT's ending is that, in addition to reversing or disregarding so much character growth, and so many core themes and longstanding slow-building subplots, it rushed the conclusion like crazy.

(Game of Thrones ending spoilers)
You've got the White Walker threat, the fulcrum of the entire series, eliminated in a single episode, with a single blow from a character with no meaningful connection to that ongoing plotline.

You've got the Queen of Dragons making a heel turn in the space of one scene , which was weakly supported by a series of strikingly contrived mistakes, tragedies, and crises -- all in the final season. As well as the ludicrous retcon that the madness in her bloodline had taken hold long before, because she'd executed a few slavers and enemies, and therefore it makes sense that she would snap and raze an entire city that was as good as conquered.

The books could do a lot of the same things with better pacing and more buildup, and the ending would be fine.

Last edited:

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Not quite the same thing but I loved the movie Source Code until the ending which made me retroactively dislike what I'd just seen.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man 3 started it.

Rv3e.gif

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I agree, something having a bad ending doesnt retroactively ruin the merits of the rest of the work, I think thats a very silly and narrow notion to entertain.

Though I do have to say that for Game of Thrones its alittle more complicated than that, because the whole series as a narrative is based alot around foreshadowing and coming events and what is happening currently will mean for the future.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Endings that I really hate like HIMYM and The Good Place have soured me on their respective series. Not saying that I'll never rewatch them, but they have retroactively hurt my opinion of the series as a whole.

May 25, 2019
London
I think it depends on how emotionally invested you get. If you're all in, then just like a relationship - you're going to want closure, you're going to want every loose end tied up. If you're somewhat detached and playing the game for amusement, then you can look at a bad ending and go, "Man, that was lame" and just move on.

I don't think it's any coincidence that there is quite a venn diagram of people upset about endings and toxic fanbases either

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
It really depends. I liked TFA as the kickoff to a new trilogy. Nothing is really resolved in that movie and it's part of a bigger picture. When that bigger picture crumbles, it takes other parts of it down with it. Breaking bad would have been almost perfect,when it quit after it's 4th season, but thanks to some stupid stuff in the ending it got downgraded to "just great" for me.

On the other hand, I didn't really like iron man 3 when it first came out. But when I rewatched it after endgame, it became one of my favorite MCU movies,because it's more a Tony Stark than Iron Man movie. As an end to Iron Man it didn't work, but as a middle chapter for characterizing Stark it's really good.

When I watched twilight with my significant other back in the day and the end battle started, i thought it might actually have an ok ending. When it was revealed it was just a vision, of course it made the battle retroactively bad.

Alien 3 undoing everything Ripley accomplished at the end of Aliens hurt too, watching it the first time. When I rewatched Aliens I was like "yeah doesn't matter anyways". But the feeling left after a while,cause Aliens even on its own is just so damn good.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, something having a bad ending doesnt retroactively ruin the merits of the rest of the work, I think thats a very silly and narrow notion to entertain.

You might not experience it, but it's not something you can handwave like this. An ending that actively goes against what was set up before leading to a diminished opinion of the whole is not "silly and narrow", it is a reasonable idea and a common ocurance. The idea that an ending can be so bad for the viewer that the whole is ruined is also perfectly reasonable.

It's silly and narrow to dismiss it like this, honestly.

Again, it's great this doesn't affect you, but it's been well articulated why it does affect others.

Edit: also to consider, this can be deeply personal. Music, literature, film... these are not objective things, they affect people differently, often to a wild degree. We connect with these things on an emotional level, which is not something you can always easily detach from.

That is a feature, not a flaw, too.

Just because a person says a work has been ruined by an ending, doesn't mean they couldn't still appreciate specific moments taken out of context for their quality, a moment that made them laugh could still do so, it just means their connection to the entire work is diminished to the point they no longer enjoy the whole.

Last edited:

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
The ending of Lost (as a whole not like the one twist at the end) is so bad it made me retroactively dislike the earlier seasons. Not because they're bad on their own (in fact they're great as you watch them) but you quickly realize how much of the earlier seasons doesn't actually fit with what's to come, the weird plot tangents that don't actually go anywhere, and the resolution of some mysteries just doesn't really fit with what you see and are told in earlier seasons. So I think the ending or later parts can absolutely retroactively make the earlier parts seem worse.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It still had issues outside the ending but mass effect 3 still had some fantastic moments and quite a few great farewells to characters, even if the ending was shit. Each game has lots to like about it. I will have no problem playing through the series again when the legendary edition comes out. I still have the citadel dlc to play for the first time which is praised a lot.

lost and game of thrones were on the skids a while before the endings so it's difficult to feel the same way about those, and half the joy of the former was the speculation and theories when it was airing.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed in part. The ending is integral to certain shows like Lost, otherwise it was just a neat idea that led to nowhere.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty dumb to let a bad ending ruin an entire series for someone, it doesn't invalidate all the good episodes leading up to it. I absolutely still love shows like Dexter even though the ending was awful.

I think people get far too invested in these shows and forget they are merely entertainment.

So watch the parts that entertain you and skip the parts that don't.

Lets be honest, it isn't the ending that does it.

Take game of thrones, people watched it, loved it, it was up and down in quality (bad pussy anyone?) and became this big thing. But the bigger it becomes? The less people sit down and actually watch it for enjoyment.

Enjoyment is part of it, but that part gets smaller and smaller.

Instead they have resetera or reddit open beside them to comment as they watch. Or as they watch they are thinking "I can say something funny about that later! Or "i bet that gets attacked, better defend that now" or "I bet that will be a meme lol".

Basically it is rarely the show. The viewer and how they watch it changes by the ending and that is the real problem.
Couldn't have said it better, the more the show becomes an "event" the less it becomes about actually just enjoying the show, but instead everything that surrounds it.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
It seems to come down to the classic argument of what do you value more, the journey or the destination?

For me it's the journey, a bad ending does not invalidate the enjoyment I got with previous episodes/books/movies in the series. I can just shrug my shoulders and be like "that was a bummer, makes me want to experience the good stuff again" then I'll reread/rewatch my favorites.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think the issue is that these works are all heavily focused on building up a main story or narrative. They don't have an episodic structure focusing on standalone tales/conflicts. If they were episodic, it'd be fairly easy to disregard the ending even if it's not good, but when a lot of the focus and build up goes to the "main plotline" that is supposed to lead to the overall conclusion of the series, and that plot gets ruined in later episodes/movies, it's much harder to just ignore it all.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, OP. As ridiculous as Stephen King sticking a multi-page disclaimer in front of the final chapter of The Dark Tower was, he made a convincing argument for the journey being more important than the destination, which stuck with me going forward.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It depends on the type of show

game of thrones does because the entire show the twists, character service, deaths etc are all in service of the question of who becomes king/queen and what happens to the night king

both answers to those question are unbelievably unsatisfying and both outcomes happen with no influence from the events that occurred prior in the series.

Bran becomes king despite having the dullest side plot which was also so far removed from ANYBODYS else's story. Just swoops in at the end

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I'm a destination person. I want a good journey, but if the ending isn't worth it, then I'll come away peeved. It's happened less with TV shows but more with comic books, where I'll really enjoy the first four issues of a mini and then the writer will botch the fifth.

Doll House (IDW) book was a recent example of that. Really, really strong until that last issue. Hell there was one comic (can't remember the name) that was really good up until two shitty final pages that just ruined it all by trying to be extra twisty or dramatic.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think people get far too invested in these shows and forget they are merely entertainment.
"Merely entertainment" really doesn't mean much. People connect with art on an emotional level. Characters, storylines, reveals... all resonate with people. To suggest people should just ignore this and detach because it's "just a show" or something kind of goes against the entire point of making any kind of art.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You hear it all the time.

The Rise of Skywalker, Game of Thrones season 8, The Matrix sequels...

Like, I understand that we would all prefer it if the endings to these franchises we love would be satisfying but why are people so dependent on what comes after to enjoy what came before? Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who can view media in a vacuum, and I'm not talking about "head canon" because that's also silly.

If you enjoyed The Force Awakens but didn't like the other two do you need to throw all three under the bus? If you were dissapointed with the later seasons of a show must you now be unable to watch the first ones you did enjoy?

I guess for me, I struggle to see why we can't be honest with ourselves and admit we enjoyed what we enjoyed despite the outcome. It would certainly make for better conversation.

It doesn't make what came before it bad. But when you rewatch it you know you're on the way to shit town, and in that way it definitely ruins the whole show for me.

Talking specifically about GoT here, I've never seen Star Wars. I think it'd be easier for me to separate movies, as they are able to stand on their own. An episode of a show doesn't stand on its own, unless it's a show like Black Mirror.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If the build-up leads to nothing, that build-up was bad. If the whole story tries to lead to that one final moment and that one final moment is bad, everything that came before it leaves a bad taste.
I've watched and theorized with friends about Game of Thrones for several years. Seeing all that build-up and foreshadowing lead to nothing has been one of the biggest disappointments I've ever felt after finishing a story. It didn't make EVERYTHING bad, but it made all the plot points that lead to that ending bad for me, personally.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
It depends on the story being told. Alot of films don't rely on posing questions or better "mysteries" in order to be fulfilling pieces of media.

It's the difference between stories about the journey and stories about answering the mysteries.

Alot of current media is very enamoured with consistently reminding the audience of its mysteries.

Rey has a mysterious past and needs to go on a mysterious quest. And the film makers will keep reminding you just how mysterious and impressive it is.

It's a question they brought up and spent time on in the films I did like. So when it fizzes it makes the time they spent asking in the prior films and the time you spent caring seem wasted.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The ending of ROTK was also important in highlighting that people will cry & moan regardless. It's something that actually crafted this beautiful, in-depth ending worthy of the years/hours long epic journey we all just took, and you still got a distressing amount of "too long", 'boring" takes.

For some people it's literally impossible to end things well due to the way they approach fiction.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The ending of ROTK was also important in highlighting that people will cry & moan regardless. It's something that actually crafted this beautiful in depth ending worthy of the epic journey we all just took, and you still got a distressing amount of "too long", 'boring" takes.

For some people it's literally impossible to end thing well due to how they approach fiction.

I have literally never heard a person say the ending of Return of the King retroactively ruined Lord of the Rings for them.

There's a difference between "that ending could have been better" and "welp, this whole franchise is now trash".

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The ending of ROTK was also important in highlighting that people will cry & moan regardless. It's something that actually crafted this beautiful, in-depth ending worthy of the years/hours long epic journey we all just took, and you still got a distressing amount of "too long", 'boring" takes.

For some people it's literally impossible to end thing well due to how they approach fiction.
I don't get posts like these...

Not everything is going to land for everyone. Some people finding the end of ROTK too long is perfectly okay, lol, it's fine to have a different opinion on a work of art.

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
It's hard for me to understand why "the ending is everything" people read or watch anything at all, at least without spoiling that ending for themselves or waiting (possibly for years) til the end for reviews to make sure it's worth starting.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

For some people it's literally impossible to end things well due to the way they approach fiction.
There were some people who did complain about how long the ending was (even if it is very much condensed compared to the books), but I've never met anyone who would say it was a bad ending.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard for me to understand why "the ending is everything" people read or watch anything at all, at least without spoiling that ending for themselves or waiting (possibly for years) til the end for reviews to make sure it's worth starting.
No one is saying "the ending is everyrhing", though.

They are saying that if an ending actively goes against enough aspects of the film already established, it can ruin the whole experience. If the ending is so bad, or such a let down for them personally, it can sometimes make the whole experience feel worse.

This doesn't mean every single lesser ending doesnt this, it means an ending /can/ do this /sometimes/.

JPLC

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm curious, for those who are saying "endings don't really matter", have you ever experienced a really good ending to a piece of storytelling? I don't mean just a good, "yeah, that was fine" ending, but a really good, superb ending that elevates the entire story retroactively, an ending that actually leaves a lasting impression on your mind?

I think part of the reason that endings matter to a lot of people (including myself) is because we've experienced amazing endings and know how powerful they can be, and it's always a shame to see something that could have been great completely miss the mark. Sure, it's all just "entertainment" at the end of the day, but if I know I could have spent my time with a great ending rather than a disappointing ending, that's gonna sting somewhat.

Also, I'm personally of the mind that a good story should ideally be considered as a whole, beginning to end. There are exceptions to this, but I definitely prefer holistic interpretations of stories most of the time.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, for those who are saying "endings don't really matter", have you ever experienced a really good ending to a piece of storytelling? I don't mean just a good, "yeah, that was fine" ending, but a really good, superb ending that elevates the entire story retroactively, an ending that actually leaves a lasting impression on your mind?

I think part of the reason that endings matter to a lot of people (including myself) is because we've experienced amazing endings and know how powerful they can be, and it's always a shame to see something that could have been great completely miss the mark. Sure, it's all just "entertainment" at the end of the day, but if I know I could have spent my time with a great ending rather than a disappointing ending, that's gonna sting somewhat.

Also, I'm personally of the mind that a good story should ideally be considered as a whole, beginning to end. There are exceptions to this, but I definitely prefer holistic interpretations of stories most of the time.
Yeh well said

If you can understand how an ending call elevate a work, which is also a common enough thing to understand, you should be able to understand the opposite.

Dec 16, 2017
It depends on what you liked about the piece of fiction in the first place.

If the enjoyment is based on mystery, the audience is trusting that the creators aren't cheating and have a well thought out solution. Finding out the creators showed a series of cool teases that didn't add up means the whole thing comes crumbling down.

Also, endings solidify themes. A nihilistic ending changes the intent of the earlier scenes.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It depends on how strongly connected the individual elements are; if they're strongly connected then a poor ending impacts the overall holistic view of the complete piece. If the connection is lose then it doesn't really matter.

I agree though that a good opening doesn't suddenly become a bad opening of the ending is poor; that is just silly. HoWeber it does mean as a whole it's a weaker piece that happens to open well.

To use your example the recent SW trilogy is a great example. Taken as a single whole (which is fair because it's an overall narrative with the same characters and extended arcs) it's really pretty mediocre; muddled and unclear narrative structure as a whole; uneven characterisation and motivations and don't ask me what the overall them of the trilogy is because frankly I don't believe there is one.

That said the good/bad of TFA remains unchanged, as does TJJ. As noted if you were to give an overall review/score it would plummet, skewed down by TROS which is a terrible film compared to the first two.

I guess it's unclear when people conflate overall piece with the individual elements: but that's the people for you; conflating things they shouldn't and seeing everything in binary terms when they shouldn't.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I kind of think you are missing the point OP, the ending doesn't retrospectively make a show bad, it removes your desire to watch it again, at which point the ending has ruined your ability to enjoy it again.

Take Game of Thrones as the example, which wasn't just the ending, but the entire last series (we'll come back to Dexter or TROS).
GOT it was a fantastic series, it was so detailed, its world was fantastic, you could enjoy it at face value, you could enjoy the little hints and the theory crafting but however you enjoyed it, it was building, building to a huge pay off. But then it didn't, the directors/writers D&D without source material couldn't write for shit, they floundered and it showed.
Perhaps the bare bones plot is the end game for the series, for GRRM, but their decision to speed run the series to move on to other projects, or because they didn't have the ability to flesh it out to full series (and HBO wanted more and offered more money), was so painfully transparent it utterly shat on the previous series, scope, lore, ambition etc. It didn't retrospectively make the entire story bad, but it killed the ability to rewatch it, why invest in 7 series (some will argue 5 or 6) if you know the quality dropped to a point that made little to no sense?
Story lines were telegraphed through series after series only for in the final series to be abandoned or watered down (Jon being a Targ, Arya's face magic, Jamie's redemption etc), i'm sure with a full series 8 and 9 you could give those story lines relevance, you could flesh them out, to make the end seem appropriate, but they didn't. The cast hated and didn't understand it, so did fans.
The journey was brilliant, the pay off was awful, so why reexperience the great journey knowing it would be a poor pay off?
GOT is probably the worst example of this as we've gone through a pandemic and nobody is rewqatching this, there are planned prequels in the universe and there is no hype or desire for them, with Star Wars thats not he same.......

Similar things occurred to the Sequel Trilogy, but its problems were more due to poor planning and execution. unlike GOT where they had source material* to follow, instead of creating an overarching plot for a planned trilogy, they treated every film as its own thing and let writers/directors have carte blanche, with no direction. This created 3 movies that when viewed in isolation were good to various degrees, but as a cohesive trilogy? no they failed, TROS was the straw that broke the camels back! TLJ wasn't a terrible film, it had some questionable storylines and lore, that didn't really allow for 1 more film to tie up all the plots. Arguably TLJ would have been better as the first in a trilogy and they could have followed on, but they didn't and TROS almost became a fan fiction rewrite. TROS was dumb fun but as an end to a trilogy all it did was highlight that the trilogy wasn't just ill-conceived, it wasn't at all.
Its the closest one to retrospectively making the series bad, in that it created a situation where when viewed as a trilogy they simply do not work cohesively, but in reality in isolation or with a lot of suspension of disbelief they are still fun.

Now people bring up Dexter and that is similar but also different, it didn't have the same over arching plot that the above suffered from and you can quite easily watch the good again and stop, there is no continuing plot you need to keep going for.

TL:DR they don't retrospectively make something bad as such, they retrospectively remove the desire to rewatch as it means however good the journey was, you are traveling to a garbage dump and that what is occurring.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Yes and no. There are a lot of finales that are foreshadowed from the very first episode/arc/development. If the payoff for something you've been building for that long a time doesn't deliver, then that's a valid excuse to be disappointed, especially if the work is particularly plot or world-oriented.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Did the matrix sequels really sore people on the first one? I know the sequels sucked but I think the original still holds up and it has a satisfying end of its own.

Cant say the same about GOT.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I have no desire to watch game of thrones ever again because of the final season. I did a rewatch every year before most seasons.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
It makes sense, if the ending is bad you're probably not going to want to revisit the thing because you know it ends in a bad place.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Did the matrix sequels really sore people on the first one? I know the sequels sucked but I think the original still holds up and it has a satisfying end of its own.

Cant say the same about GOT.

I dislike the sequels, but the first one still works fine as a standalone movie. You can cut off at the end and say, "And then Neo punches all the dudes and solves all the problems" and that's basically an accurate summation.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Bad ending are bad.

Bad ending are worse when series runners, inside and out side of the story, make promises they never intend to keep to the audience.

GOT, Lost, and Sequel Trilogy of Starwars are these.

-GOT should have never tried to close out the series before the books were done.

It should have been reworked to be a tragedy that culminated around the Red and Purple Weddings and gave closure to characters around that point. (Yes, that would mean cutting Dany and most of Jon).

Or they should have leaned into "Winter is coming" and made battle against the White Walkers more significant. Have all of the Southern palace intrigue grind to a halt in the face magic winter and rewrite everyone's plot lines to the North where they fight for survival.

Thankfully, I never watched beyond season 2, so I don't know the personal pain of the series falling apart. I just have to deal with the books never ending lol.

Lost- One could watch it for the characters, if it wasn't for the fact that the show runners constantly hyped the mysteries of Island. Jacob, Smokey, and The Others were all terrible handled mystery boxes. Answers to mysteries don't have to be ground breaking, they just have to be logically constituent within their own universe. Lost never even tried to apply logic to any of their antagonist.

I tried rewatching with the intent of stopping at the end of season 5, but that mindset didn't work either. Because despite everyone hyping that it was about the characters, the characters themselves did not get decent endings either. Because nothing was planned. The characters had no arcs. They barely changed over the course of 6 seasons- they were still the same dysfunctional people from season one.

If the show had just stuck to random bunch of characters trying to get off the Island, the would have work. But they ruined that too with "We have to go back Kate!"

Honestly, the sideways flash and purgatory ending by themselves were okay. But those are not an ending to rewatch for when so much of the rest of the character stories are unsatisfying.

Starwars Sequel Trilogy- Episode 7 and 8 were fine. 9 doesn't exist for me.

8 ends on potential of a new generation taking over, with new stories. Potential of the rise of new force users, not just Sith and Jedi, fracturing of Empire leading to new antagonist, multiple new factions of freedom fighters.

Then 9 destroyed all of that, plus making Luke's and Vader's triumph over the emperor meaningless. Without Ben, there are no more Sith, and with Rey retiring, there are no more Jedi- effectively ending the Starwars universe of stories. Blah.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, most real people get old, retire, and quietly fade away. And that's fine. That's a mediocre ending, but it's not bad.

The equivalent for a TV series would just be having a "farewell" finale that's a bit maudlin, heavily retrospective, and maybe doesn't completely satisfy, but gets the job done. It's how... well, most sitcoms go out, provided they don't get cancelled before they have a chance.

The endings in this thread, in real person equivalent, are more like going out firebombing an orphanage or desperately trying to tweet, "Actually, I think slavery was pretty cool" on your deathbed.

That's how young people think old people die, but the reality is much more grim.

Most old people die in pain or depressed or suffering dementia, loneliness, alcoholism, or with a stranged family, and many in fear and regret.

Not all of them ofc but there's a lot of that, I used to do some work with seniors and it was heartbreaking. Getting old fucking sucks. Is not Cocoon. Or the ending of a sitcom.

In real life most "character arcs" don't get resolved, many misunderstandings don't get cleared, most "life journeys" have no purpose and most (all?) life events have no meaning. So people try to find a substitute for that in fiction is what I was saying, when you know, they shouldn't.

And fiction would be better as well. Some already is, thank god

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
It's only a problem when movies are purposely made to stretch multiple movies. We should evaluate movies on their merits but if you have a non ending in a movie it's hard to do that.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I used to feel the same way OP. But when I tried rewatching GoT recently I only made it maybe up to season 4 before stopping because knowing how it ends made the journey feel really pointless to me.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
The final season or two of the Office almost killed my love for the show entirely. They were that bad and unfunny.

Lost's last season almost did the same thing.

Other than that, I haven't run into that problem.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Bad ending are bad.

Bad ending are worse when series runners, inside and out side of the story, make promises they never intend to keep to the audience.

Starwars Sequel Trilogy- Episode 7 and 8 were fine. 9 doesn't exist for me.

8 ends on potential of a new generation taking over, with new stories. Potential of the rise of new force users, not just Sith and Jedi, fracturing of Empire leading to new antagonist, multiple new factions of freedom fighters.

Then 9 destroyed all of that, plus making Luke's and Vader's triumph over the emperor meaningless. Without Ben, there are no more Sith, and with Rey retiring, there are no more Jedi- effectively ending the Starwars universe of stories. Blah.

You know what's funny? When I left the theater after watching TLJ I thought, that's it right? Although storylines were there to follow, it felt like the movie actually ended and wasn't just a cliffhanger for the next one. So I completely agree with you outside 8 being just fine (I thought it was beyond that).