• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I see we're just going to ignore all of the technical issues with ER now (I play on PC). That shit should've affected the overall score. Why reviewers decided to ignore them is so puzzling to me. In a game where a couple of frames can lead to death and ruin, not even casually mentioning dropped frames or slowdown is a huge disservice to potential customers.

Because it doesn't matter enough to most people when the final product enthralls them strongly enough like when people claim The Last Guardian is their game of the year/generation despite having numerous technical issues probably worse than ER does now.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Elden Ring having known technical issues, especially relative to how mediocre to bad its graphics are, automatically puts it out of contention for best anything. From Software reviews should come with a big asterisk next to them, because it's obvious they get a pass for things that other developers get marked down for.
This is true, a lot of developers received criticism for less, while From it's delivering bad optimized games for generations without any affect.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think technical issues getting pass is almost aleatory. Did From got off easy with ER? Yes, especially on PC. But so did Mass Effect 1, which was WAY WORSE on the 360. And got a pass not only from critics but from fans as well.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
The crazy bastards actully delivered. They made Dark souls but big.
Though I have to say, the unoptimization of the game on PC is shocking. I'm running the game at 1080p on a 3060 GTX and even then there's huge drops. The game looks just like freaking Dark Souls III, so that's disappointing.
And is the online only borked for me? I've literally never been invaded by a person, and the vast majority of people I try to summon show an error message.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if I will ever play it but it's nice to see a JRPG get such universal praise from Metacritic. Been a long time

Sep 21, 2019
ME2 was monumental until its ending shit the bed.

Elden Ring is absolutely the best game of the three, without question.

TLOU 2 will likely always be my GOAT, but I have a feeling that, when the dust has settled, Elden Ring has a strong chance to overtake TLOU in the #2 slot.

As of now, my favorite games are:

1. TLOU Part II
2. TLOU
3. Dark Souls
4. Skyrim
5. Ocarina of Time

I think the list is very likely going to look like

1. TLOU II
2. Elden Ring
3. TLOU
4. Dark Souls
5. Skyrim

I'm 99% sure that'll happen...

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
ME2 was monumental until its ending shit the bed.

Elden Ring is absolutely the best game of the three, without question.

TLOU 2 will likely always be my GOAT, but I have a feeling that, when the dust has settled, Elden Ring has a strong chance to overtake TLOU in the #2 slot.

As of now, my favorite games are:

1. TLOU Part II
2. TLOU
3. Dark Souls
4. Skyrim
5. Ocarina of Time

I think the list is very likely going to look like

1. TLOU II
2. Elden Ring
3. TLOU
4. Dark Souls
5. Skyrim

I'm 99% sure that'll happen...

The Suicide Mission was the best part of ME2...

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
ME2 is more like a shooter + a dating sim

Why do people like games with random romance attached so much

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The crazy bastards actully delivered. They made Dark souls but big.
Though I have to say, the unoptimization of the game on PC is shocking. I'm running the game at 1080p on a 3060 GTX and even then there's huge drops. The game looks just like freaking Dark Souls III, so that's disappointing.
And is the online only borked for me? I've literally never been invaded by a person, and the vast majority of people I try to summon show an error message.
Invasions only happen in coop I think. That and I believe there is a way for solo players to opt-in, summoning an invader.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Elden Ring has interactive character conversations and narrative choices and such?

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
It looked weird but that's about it. The Suicide Mission is a big triumph in videogame design. Saying the Human Repaer somehow negates that is like saying the Bed of Chaos negates all the qualities of Dark Souls.
Yep. The design of the human Reaper was bad but that's such an easy thing to overlook when literally everything else about the Suicide Mission is so incredible. You could be shooting a giant featureless orb and it wouldn't detract from everything surrounding that fight.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
ER is a worthy successor indeed, and disco elysium is a masterpiece too, which is sadly, not many people have played it.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
All while games like Kenshi and Gothic 2 sit below 80, I declare the metric as invalid.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Apples to oranges, the number doesn't matter, they're both GOATs.

But Elden Ring is better.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
ME feels much more RPG to me than the Souls series. Sure you get to build a character in the Souls series, but to me, the dialog and branching options are just as big a part of the "RPG" experience.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Really can't wait for the Elden Ring novelty to wear off and for gamers to remember other shit exists.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'm a huge ME fan, but I would agree (so far) that Elden Ring is superior, as is Disco Elysium. DE in particular is transformative for the genre.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm a huge ME fan, but I would agree (so far) that Elden Ring is superior, as is Disco Elysium. DE in particular is transformative for the genre.

Well this right here is just illustrative of how strange it is to even be comparing the games. These three experiences, all of them considered excellent, could not be more alien to each other.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Well this right here is just illustrative of how strange it is to even be comparing the games. These three experiences, all of them considered excellent, could not be more alien to each other.
That is true, but I consider them to be better at what they're trying to be, if that makes sense. I see a lot of flaws in ME2, particularly the ending. I'm early in ER, but it has all the makings of the pedigree of Bloodborne, which is my favorite RPG of all. DE is so good at executing what it is, it feels like I have to consider CRPGs differently as a whole.

The fact it was so high and in the RPG category in the first place is concerning.
I'll never tire of people upset that Mass Effect is correctly termed an RPG.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I will say I haven't been into any games like I am with elden ring since I was a kid. It's all I can think about when I'm not playing.

Paragon

May 5, 2018
"Mass Effect 2 isn't an RPG" was always a bad take. What possible definition could there be for RPG that excludes Mass Effect 2 but still includes Mass Effect 1?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
"Mass Effect 2 isn't an RPG" was always a bad take. What possible definition could there be for RPG that excludes Mass Effect 2 but still includes Mass Effect 1?
Precisely. The fact that ME2 restricts how you allocate points in what was previously a clunky system anyway doesn't magically transform it into a non-RPG.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

You're correct. But people who says that always looked at those games extremely superficially. So the fact that ME1 had a traditional, if terrible, inventory system is an argument to support that it was a RPG while ME2 was not. Indeed, the leveling up system is the most interesting argument. You can show a picture of Shepard skilsl in ME1 and ME2 and at first glance ME1 will look much more complex, yet that is an illusion. ME1 had a very simple and lackluster progression while ME2 had a much better one.