• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Agree with everyone saying Elden Ring is the sole reason why. I can attest to that myself. ER made irreverent, but more importantly an obsolete open world game for me. I couldn't bear to play after ER. It felt very by the books.

GG also made a critical mistake releasing this game within close proximity to ER. Their overconfidence got the best of them.
There was nothing about overconfidence. Did Sony know (or anyone for that matter) ER was going to review so well and be a bit of a phenomenon? No chance. FW was delayed and made it out when it was ready. You can't keep holding something back when it's complete. There's still room for both games and both have sold millions. One just more than the other. They also both reviewed really well.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I haven't played it yet, but I assumed people just moved on to new games. I also haven't played Elden Ring so there's that.

Crowh

Nov 20, 2017
Even though I finished FW, I just found the game to be rather.... boring ? I legit had more fun with the first one. (ZD had better story too, for me at least)

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to pick it up on PC. I thought it was launching day and date with PS5 for some reason.

All hand holding I'm hearing about like Aloy being to quick to blab the solution to a puzzle really turned me off though. Wish they would fix that with an option. I think turning off characters talking to them selves during game play should always be an option.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how folks here often downplay Forbidden West, it's a solid game in its own right.
Because the reality is a lot of people on this forum look for any excuse not to actually play games. They just regurgitate what they hear gaming media say about open world games knowing damn well they play like one of them a year so none of that shit should even matter.

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Half of those games no one talk about hardly. And certainly didn't 3 months after launch.

?? witcher 3 had great legs. breath of the wild is the most influential modern arpg, nier: automata comes up a lot. zero dawn was also a slow burn hit that retained a lot of interest over time. I haven't seen sales for HFW, but it is a graphical showpiece for a new console, it will have some legs but I'm not sure it's even going to beat out the first in sales despite the original having a much more modest budget for both dev and marketing.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Great game, but I was expecting A LOT more, a Uncharted -> Uncharted 2 jump, and it wasn't that, it was more like a Ubisoft sequel.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You can compare it to other games on Google Trends. Doesn't seem to compare favorably to other recent big Sony exclusives like TLOU2, GoT or even the first Horizon both in terms of interest at launch and in the following weeks.
Half of those games no one talk about hardly. And certainly didn't 3 months after launch.

You don't have to lie

seloro-sides.gif
According to Google Trends, "Persona 5" had more interest in August 2020, 4 months after its re-release came out in English, than HFW does now.
This "era bubble" narrative is some next level cope.
It's the same thing people tried to say in the ER vs HFW sales thread

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
It's just not that different enough from the first.

It should've been set entirely in the tropical area because the first 2/3rds feel like i'm playing the first game.

Story is average, characters are as interesting as oatmeal, combat is so-so, Aloy takes so long to recover from being knocked down compared to the first.

I enjoyed it more than the first but it feels like a franchise that's already running on fumes.

The crafting was awful, having to fashion arrows every minute wasn't fun.

Loot felt worthless and I couldn't name one item I picked up if you threatened me.

The grind to level up armour and weapons meant most normal people like myself barely bothered with it and stuck to the same weapons throughout.

Climbing was outdated, Aloy crouching to pick up every item was tedious, a LOT of the skill tree felt useless.
All of this is what has prevented me from beating it. I only just unlocked my base of operations and I felt like I have seen enough.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
This forum has a weird obsession with this game.
Indeed. It's like a narrative and it's just silly. HFW is a great game and yet some here seem to act like it hasn't sold one copy and is completely irrelevant. It's one of the best games you'll play this year or next. To act like it has to reinvent itself to be relevant like ER kinda did for Soulsbourne games is the dumbest fucking gaming opinion I've seen in a long time.

Meanwhile Elden Ring bores the shit out of me, and I was hooked on DeS remake late last year/early this year. It's overrated.

Last edited:

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
?? witcher 3 had great legs. breath of the wild is the most influential modern arpg, nier: automata comes up a lot. zero dawn was also a slow burn hit that retained a lot of interest over time. I haven't seen sales for HFW, but it is a graphical showpiece for a new console, it will have some legs but I'm not sure it's even going to beat out the first in sales despite the original having a much more modest budget for both dev and marketing.
I said half of those games that troll mentioned. Nier might come up a bit on era/core gamers but the wider internet and outside of that, not really. Which is what I think the OP is stating as the metric for whether a game is forgotten or remembered apparently.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with everyone saying Elden Ring is the sole reason why. I can attest to that myself. ER made HFW irreverent, but more importantly an obsolete open world experience for me. I couldn't bear to play after ER. It felt very by the books.

GG made a critical mistake releasing this game within close proximity to ER. Their overconfidence got the best of them.
You can't just delay a game on a whim. So I don't understand the overconfidence comment. FW was already delayed once, they're not going to go through the pain of delaying again just to avoid Elden Ring.

PhillyPaw

Apr 11, 2021
Holy contrarian Batman. This game still tops the charts, Era just has an issue with games that compete with ER.

Pretty much.

HFW > ER.

ER is easier than HFW thanks to FROM adding in spirits, and other game breaking shit. And since Souls gameplay depends on it's difficulty and boss encounters (which absolutely sucked), HFW takes the crown easy as a whole package.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I mean, just like the first game and BoTW, it should be pretty obvious why the sequel keeps getting mentioned alongside ER, especially with the context of this thread...
It all reeks of console war discussions, but more power to them i suppose if they feel better about them self.

That is precisely what I'm saying.
Horizon is for people who want to look at a video game, not play one.
giphy.gif

This thread is really something.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Meh this forced Elden Ring vs HFW repeat is fucking BOOOORING.

Let's do Elden Ring vs BOTW again. That's so much more damn fun. There's actual stakes in that. Those threads read so much more fun.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
It was a solid, good game but it just wasn't that interesting outside the story itself. I enjoyed my time with it but I did feel worn out by it at the end. It really doesn't deserve more attention than it got.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I don't think it was. Sure ER obliterated charts but I think Forbidden West has/had its place too. I stopped playing it for ER but I went back and finished it. It'll have long legs and a boost when more PS5 are sold and it's released on PC.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trolling. I meant every word I said.
I know you're a troll because you just said horizon is for people who want to look at video games not play them. Anyone who's actually played it knows that only a troll would say something so stupid. But whatever don't really care anymore this shit is stupid and so forced every time

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
GG made a critical mistake releasing this game within close proximity to ER. Their overconfidence got the best of them.
Horizon: FW announced a release date of February 25, 2022 in August of last year. That date held from the moment it was announced until release.
Elden Ring announced their release date of January 21, 2022 in June of last year. They delayed it to February 25, 2022 in December of last year.

What was Sony going to do? Delay their ready to go game because Elden Ring got delayed? Thats absurd. Overconfidence? They picked a date and stuck with it.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
Oh god we wont be able to escape the HFW/ER discourse for another 4-5 years just like the HZD/BOTW discourse before it

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I liked HFW more and thought ER was like going work due to all the stuff I had to look up. *shrug*

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I mean how long do expect a soley single-player game to stay in the spotlight? Though Elden Ring definitely eat into its release it came and went like any other high profile game. It usually jumps in the charts(UK) when ever there's a decent PS5 stock so the legs looked to be strong.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I know you're a troll because you just said horizon is for people who want to look at video games not play them. Anyone who's actually played it knows that only a troll would say something so stupid. But whatever don't really care anymore this shit is stupid and so forced every time
Suit yourself. Have a nice week-end.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I stopped playing HFW due to Elden Ring coming out, and I got far more into that, despite not historically being into Soulsborne-ish games (I think a lot of it was the open world).

I think HFW is a gorgeous looking game in its resolution mode, but I couldn't get myself into the story much at all. With not a ton of games in the imminent horizon, I do want to get back to it however.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It all reeks of console wars discussios, but more power to them i suppose if they feel better about them self.

Maybe with BoTW/HZD, but ER and HFW can both be played through a PS5, so I dunno about saying its a console war thing

Not that I necessarily disagree that we have a tendency to pit games against one another, but yea, Horizon just has superbly bad timing twice in a row

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I was hyped for it and had planned to get it but I got Elden Ring first and after that I just didn't have as much interest in it for whatever reason. I do still want to play it someday but I'll probably wait a year or so and get it super cheap. It's just not something I feel like I need to play right now.

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
I really enjoyed my time with HFW, but I do think the series needs polish in some areas. Other than Aloy, I think most characters are pretty forgettable. The overall story wasn't as strong this time around, either, IMO; the quest to uncover Aloy's identity in HZD was just a really strong hook and overall driving force for the story that isn't matched in HFW, I think.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Tallneck missions were fun but I can honestly say you didn't miss much.
Funny enough, the only thing making me want to push through the game is to play more machine strike.
Tallneck missions are fun, I did the first one, but I'm not about to slog through dozens of hours worth of combat to reach them.

I also had four hard console crashes where I had to hold the power button on the console so that dampered my enjoyment of the game a lot.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I've played neither Elden Ring nor Horizon, so for me Elden Ring was not a factor. At first I figured I'd wait for a sale, since I bought the first Horizon at launch and then didn't play through the whole thing for over four years. Now, I'm probably going to wait and see if that fabled PC port materializes in the fall or not, and if it doesn't, THEN I'll wait for a sale and pick it up then.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I struggled to get into before I put it down a little while ago and I'm unsure if I'll end up going back. There isn't really anything "bad" about the game to me and it's clearly well made but idk, just wasn't feeling it at the time. I was definitely very overwhelmed by the map and all the activities on it.

Also this is minor and wouldn't keep me from playing it on its own but I really hate the UI.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Elden Ring ate its lunch, unfortunately. It's a bummer because I literally could not care less about yet another Souls game and FW was a monumental leap over its predecessor for me. Probably my GOTY at the moment other than maaaaaybe Kirby.

Either way, I'm sure it sold well enough and I'd imagine this is the kind of game that will have decent legs thanks to Sony's marketing plus the inevitable GOTY edition, PC release, etc.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
There is just way too much between you and the combat. Too much stuff to keep track of, too many weapons. And when you do get into combat it's just way too chaotic, much more than the first. The low readability with machines that just love to jump at the player completely fucking up where you should be pointed it just felt really really messy. Some sort of lock on I think would have helped but I dunno. Just felt like a very messy game mechanically.
Which sucks because the art direction and level design were completely on point.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
OPs right. I remember Horizon looking like being THE game to have on PS5 with those initial trailers but discussion definitely came and went.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like every hype thread for this was about how good the cutscenes looked. Not sure if that factors here or not
It's strange how amazing the visuals were (near photorealistic at times) but personally I was really underwhelmed by the writing/direction of the voice acting. Felt like something from the PS3 era to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.