• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
That's nothing like this. It's like buying a Nintendo console with the game preloaded. Which happens.
My guess is perhaps related to the download size and making it easier for people to get playing straight away instead of waiting for a long ass download
Just because Nintendo do it, it is still doesn't change the fact it limits the consumer's ability to resell games.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
This is probably the first step in Microsoft doing what Sony does in no longer allowing third parties to sell game codes. Just Xbox currency and Game Pass/XBL subs.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
So why not just have it pre-installed on the system then? I could see the appeal of it if that was the case but it seems like it's simply there to prevent reselling which is kinda lame.

Then again I guess AC Unity codes have been available forever for like $2 so I can kinda see why they're making the change.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Xbox have had a pretty good streak for a few years, of largely pro-consumer moves and initiatives; this isn't one of them. Though I think Nintendo actually pioneered this particular "innovation".

Not a huge deal in the grand scheme, but certainly curtails some amount of choice. I wonder if doing this lets Microsoft get a better deal on bundle software contracts or something, since they can assure publishers their bundle entitlements won't be resold?

What's this industry's problem with the resell market? We bought it, now back-off and let us partake in Capitalism.

I mean, not choosing to buy a product or bundle that doesn't give you the freedom or features you want, is also capitalism.

Not exactly 'second hand' since it isn't used. Nobody is touching second hand market since the last attempt by MS backfired spectacularly.

The code is second-hand the minute you own it, because it's no longer a first-party sale. If the code was used, it wouldn't be a valid code any more.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Some of the responses about "what if I already own that game, I should be able to get something else instead! It's not fair!"

Or you could just be an adult and realise that sometimes you're gifted something that you can't use/don't want.

That's life, suck it up.

MS is not giving gifts lol, people are BUYING those games with the console.

koba

Jul 10, 2018
initially i thought this might be bad but, there really doesnt seem to be any problems with this unless for some reason like, you get a console bundle during christmas then get the same game gifted to you, but then again you can just sell the standalone game back or whatever lol

seems like the only issue with this is technicalities or like really niche problems, so seems fine

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are actually defending this? How much of a corporate bootlicker are you? It's especially huge boon here in third world countries since it brings the cost of the whole thing down plus someone can get a cheaper deal on the game that they want.

The same Sony that decided retailers could no longer sell codes?
Pretty sure Sony have physical games in their bundle, which is a nice plus since those sells more likely and pricier here.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
How does this work with accounts? I assume it doesn't get tied to your account until you set the console up with one? What if you choose not to connect to Xbox Live on initial startup?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Won't be surprised if third party devs are the ones asking for this.

Ubisoft is doing this for their PC codes and Epic Games has a similar thing as we.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MS is not giving gifts lol, people are BUYING those games with the console.
So don't buy a game you already own?

"But this bundle was cheaper!"

"Oh cool, so you got a good deal then?"

"Well yeah, I guess that's true. B-but I still lost out on something! And that's not fair!"

I don't get it man...

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

"Well yeah, I guess that's true. B-but I still lost out on something! And that's not fair!"

I don't get it man...

The bundle is even cheaper if you sell the bundled game that you don't want. Come on dude it's not difficult 😂

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I don't get it man...

If people buy something, they have the right of doing whatever they want with it.

If they own the game or not is not MS business.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
This is pretty terrible and anti-consumer. It seems a bit like the change Humble Bundle tried to bring in a few years ago that was so unpopular they had to row back to offering codes again.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like, I totally get why people would rather they didn't do this, and I totally get why it's anti-consumer. But I also just think it's not a big deal at all, and would rarely even be a thing to be concerned about.

How often are you going to be getting a bundled copy of a game that you already own? And even if that were the case, the game is probably bundled for a reason ie: super cheap at this point, you're really going to piss and moan because you couldn't flog it online for 20 bucks?

Who cares man, I dunno.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
You only have to look at something like Assassin's Creed Unity, that game on xbox was devalued almost from the get go and is still available for pocket change. It's pretty terrible for people to be trying to sell this idea as being positive for the consumer.

This is entirely understandable. I'll miss finding cheaper codes, but it's the fair and right thing to do. I'm surprised it took this long to get it done.

Too many people, including myself, abused the system.
That's possibly the worst take in this thread. Abuse of a system suggests going out of your way to bend rules and game the companies involved. Selling on codes for games that you're not interested in is hardly that. Code reselling sites dealing with masses of them, sure, but if this solution is aimed at that situation it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut scenario (and the consumer's nuts taking the pounding).

And that will be the next thing to go. The fact is, this stuff would probably still be possible and supported if it wasn't abused as much as it has been in the. We, as consumers, fuck shit up on our own, and then we blame the big bad corporations when we brought it upon ourselves.

It sucks that we've come to this, and my comments will never go well on a site like this since everyone just wants to pound their fist to get what they want for as little as possible, regardless of who it may or may not effect.

But this is life.
OK, no, that's the worst take in this thread.

Some of the responses about "what if I already own that game, I should be able to get something else instead! It's not fair!"

Or you could just be an adult and realise that sometimes you're gifted something that you can't use/don't want.

That's life, suck it up.
A bundled game is not a gift. It never has been. It's a value-add to entice a purchase. Being able to sell on physical and digital bundeld software (unclaimed, uninstalled, unused) to actually gain that benefit of value for those that do not want the specific software, is not and will never be a bad thing for consumers. In the grand scheme it's hardly even bad for platformholders and the game's publishers, because precisely 1 person has a new console, 1 person has a new game.

"Suck it up" is just a terribly disappointing statement to make to a fellow consumer. :(

That's nothing like this. It's like buying a Nintendo console with the game preloaded. Which happens.
My guess is perhaps related to the download size and making it easier for people to get playing straight away instead of waiting for a long ass download
I dunno...
xbox said:
All digital content including games, subscriptions, and exclusive content will be redeemed to your Microsoft account and directly delivered to your Xbox console during setup.
...to me that suggests it'll just download in the usual way at setup.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
So, create a new account during set-up, redeem game, sell account details?

It's more of a hassle for both seller and buyer, no chance at selling back to retailers, but if you really want, there is still a way.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So, create a new account during set-up, redeem game, sell account details?

It's more of a hassle for both seller and buyer, no chance at selling back to retailers, but if you really want, there is still a way.
Account dealing is much more likely to be seen as shady stuff and against ToS. Far fewer people are going to be willing to purchase an account with a game tied to it than a game itself. With a code that gets applied to your account and it's there for good. If you bought an account, the seller still has access until you amend the login details, but potentially has the ability to reset those credentials and sell the same thing multiple times to multiple people and remove your access.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Out of curiosity, if you bought the digital version of a game, then bought a new console that includes the same title...what would happen then. Apologies if this was covered already.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How does this work with accounts? I assume it doesn't get tied to your account until you set the console up with one? What if you choose not to connect to Xbox Live on initial startup?
You must be online when you set up an Xbox One for the first time. Without an internet connection, you can't finish setup.

Out of curiosity, if you bought the digital version of a game, then bought a new console that includes the same title...what would happen then. Apologies if this was covered already.
In case of CP, it gets refunded if you already own it.

Willy

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds very much like the silent key activation stuff that EA & Ubisoft use when selling PC games on third party sites/launchers. The plan is obviously to eliminate keys (and the digital grey market) altogether. I think its pretty lousy but as long as Valve never resort to or allow this bullshit, I don't particularly care.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
It was pretty slick during set up. But yeah, it's a shame it makes reselling difficult.

In the future I hope they also have the game pre-installed, obviously couldn't do this with Cyberpunk.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Account dealing is much more likely to be seen as shady stuff and against ToS. Far fewer people are going to be willing to purchase an account with a game tied to it than a game itself. With a code that gets applied to your account and it's there for good. If you bought an account, the seller still has access until you amend the login details, but potentially has the ability to reset those credentials and sell the same thing multiple times to multiple people and remove your access.
Companies shouldn't expect me to respect their TOS when they can't even follow the law. I SHOULD be able to transfer my software licenses to anyone I want, but none of the console manufacturers gives me that option.

JimmyJacking

Oct 28, 2017
Like, I totally get why people would rather they didn't do this, and I totally get why it's anti-consumer. But I also just think it's not a big deal at all, and would rarely even be a thing to be concerned about.

How often are you going to be getting a bundled copy of a game that you already own? And even if that were the case, the game is probably bundled for a reason ie: super cheap at this point, you're really going to piss and moan because you couldn't flog it online for 20 bucks?

Who cares man, I dunno.

It's not so much the end person as in the one making the transactions. It will be the loss of the code to the grey market.

Usually you see codes for games that are bundled with consoles go extremely cheap on places like CDKeys. Just have a look at some of their AC code prices.

I imagine there has been pressure placed on platform from the pubs for this.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Isnt this more related to series x? You start up the new console and it checks your account. Sees you have Gamepass Ultimate and you link it?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Does it at the very least come preloaded? Sounds like you still need to download it. What a shitty move either way.

petermarinus

Banned
May 31, 2020
It's pro-consumer to the majority of consumers;
More people will want to play the bundle they bought, compared to people trying to flip the code.

The playing people won't need to enter any codes anymore, so that saves a lot of time for them.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Lol.... I thought the excuse for all digital saying that getting up and changing discs was lazy. Now people are saying that entering a code is an inconvenience. Man....

petermarinus

Banned
May 31, 2020
30 seconds = a lot of time?
"Is this a 0 or a O?"
But yeah, 30 seconds times 1 million consoles is almost a whole year spent by consumers entering the codes. And that is a best case scenario. Maybe the retailer opened the box, copied the code and sold it on an illegal cd key market?

Microsoft does a lot of anti-consumer stuff, but this ain't it chief