• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Most lgbt characters come from either indie games or they are a small side character or any signs of being gay are hidden deep in subtext that the publisher can deny it if the bigots get upset. it's hard to imagine even a few years ago that a gay character would be front in center of a major triple A production with millions of dollars thrown behind it. i'm just happy more people are getting representation.

edit: Last of us part 2 if anyone didn't know what game I was refuting to

Last edited:

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Most lgbt characters come from either indie games or they are a small side character or any signs of being gay are hidden deep in subtext that the publisher can deny it if the bigots get upset. it's hard to imagine even a few years ago that a gay character would be front in center of a major triple A production with millions of dollars thrown behind it. i'm just happy more people are getting representation.
With Nickelodeon's announcement today that makes for 2:
SpongeBob-SquarePants-Battle-for-Bikini-Bottom---Rehydrated

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
I think there's still a lot of progress to be made (obviously). How many big games out there have male gay characters? Other than one of the characters in TLOU1, nothing comes to mind.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Naughty Dog planned it. Or they have some LGBT+ marketing images for the launch.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think there's still a lot of progress to be made (obviously). How many big games out there have male gay characters? Other than one of the characters in TLOU1, nothing comes to mind.
There's a few, though I'm disappointed Kung Jin didn't return for Mortal Kombat 11 after MKX.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a few, though I'm disappointing Kung Jin didn't return for Mortal Kombat 11 after MKX.

Like how fucky is the transition from MKX to 11 when we went from Kung Jin being playable to Raiden and Kung Lao going "homophobia is bad! >:C" before killing each other in a Vs. match.

Aug 12, 2019
I would wait to see how the game actually handles Ellie before I started celebrating too much. Great that a AAA game can have a gay character at the forefront, but whether or not it handles that task well remains to be seen and Naughty Dog's history on this subject still has me very skeptical. I also don't necessarily love the idea that such a character is in an incredibly and damn near excessively violent title as TLOU2.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Representation fucking matters. I'm glad that most devs are very inclusive when it comes to their characters and their identity.

(Pls don't kill the gays, Neil. Don't do that to Ellie or Dina.)

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
that's a understatement the game industry has an incredibly long way to go when it comes to portraying gay characters in prominent positive roles. but I will take the little victories when they arrive

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Damn BobSponge is gay? BobSponge being a gay icon makes this the perfect timeline.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
as protagonists in non-RPGs? I can't think of any
I can think of like two bi men protagonists

and a handful of canonically queer men in ensemble casts, but even that's a low number

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Yeah, white LBTG+ are not under represented at all in other mediums and more needs to be done to include Black/POC LBGT+ who often get pushed out of the LBTG+ community by white LGBT+.

I am not really impressed at all.
I agree completely we need to start seeing non white lgbt characters. the game industry has dropped the ball so hard we don't even get white gay characters often

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Long, long way to go but yes it's rad.

Highly recommend The MISSING: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories if you're looking for a game with a great queer story. It's not triple A, so it doesn't actually fit with this thread, but I will shill for it any chance I get.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The original release date was going to dodge June, so it's only because of the pandemic and leaks that we are getting it during Pride. Corporations don't tend to release queer media in June.

Regardless, as a lesbian I'm fucking excited though tapering my expectations.
Long, long way to go but yes it's rad.

Highly recommend The MISSING: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories if you're looking for a game with a great queer story. It's not triple A, so it doesn't actually fit with this thread, but I will shill for it any chance I get.
While I'm quite fond of it myself, it's not the happiest experience and requires some content warnings. 😅

One game I can't recommend enough is the indie visual novel Heaven Will Be Mine. It's pretty much made by and for sapphic (trans) women, with a diverse cast. ☺️

Last edited:

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I remember being so excited hearing that Dishonored 2's main charterer was going to be bisexual, and then disheartened that apparently in the final release her sexuality was only hinted at. At least that's what I've heard, I've not got to it in my backlog yet.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
As great as this is..I'm not going to be overly impressed that one AAA game has a LGBT protagonist when LGBT is still at the bottom of the pile when it comes to representation in all forms of media.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
As great as this is..I'm not going to be overly impressed that one AAA game has a LGBT protagonist when LGBT is still at the bottom of the pile when it comes to representation in all forms of media.
So let me just follow your logic here for a second. You're unimpressed because LGBT+ has such poor representation in general. So... you would be impressed with this if representation was better across media? Wouldn't that make it less impressive?

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
So let me just follow your logic here for a second. You're unimpressed because LGBT+ has such poor representation in general. So... you would be impressed with this if representation was better across media? Wouldn't that make it less impressive?

Well, you have to start somewhere. Tell Me Why is also coming.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
were those leaks about the trans character true? if so, i definitely wouldn't be praising this game for its progressive LGBTQ representation.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

I'm unimpressed that this is just one game in a million that has a LGBT protagonist. It should be a lot more. It's not that hard to understand is it?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
were those leaks about the trans character true? if so, i definitely wouldn't be praising this game for its progressive LGBTQ representation.

no, that was a very bad faith talk from capital G gamers because one of the woman is strong and muscular.

Domino

Oct 25, 2017
It's very exciting to finally see a AAA game with a gay main character. Hopefully this is just the start.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought that Sandy was Spongebob's girlfriend in canon

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Still waiting for AAA game with a gay male main character but it is something for sure.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty rad tbh. Are there any AAA games with a gay leading male character?